Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th June 2011, 13:35   #46
BHPian

Default re: Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post

1) Badges are OE, and so is the ORVM. Got them from the dealer (Elegant Cars/Samyak) in Delhi. Took multiple trips (as with many FIAT spares) since not all of the stuff is available at any one time.
2) I have never had the misting-up problem, oddly. The lights, as you see in the pics are not the ones which came with the car, since the car met with an accident with a flock of goats about 2 years ago. The earlier lights (made by AL) had become smoky in about 7 years of use. The new IJL ones are less prone to becoming smoky.
3) I am not aware of after-market spoilers. The OE ones are mounted through holes in the rear glass. So if you try to retro-fit a GTX/ELX Sports spoiler, you might face some problems
4) I checked with Stanley and some of the other leather experts in Delhi. But none of them had hides as cheap looking as the OE leather. Since I wanted the stock look, I went for a replacement steering wheel, even though it got me a poorer finish at higher cost
5) I would go with that GTO says: if you maintain yor car well, modern vehicles can last very long - easily more than a decade IMO. Believe me when I tell you this, my car still drives like it is 6 months old. Also, I generally believe in getting the maximum life from every durable I buy (my cell phone is 3 years old). Might be better for the environment as well (though I do not have data to be sure)
Thanks for the reply vipul. That pretty much answer the query. I too am planning an end-to-end diagnosis and repairing of my Palio, just getting the mind ready for moolah. Later I get the paint done.
Mine is a silver, and was planning to get it done with smoke black, but seeing your results I am thinking to go ahead with silver.

Also, can you pls PM me the cost incurred in the paintwork.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 17:55   #47
BHPian

Default re: Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years

Vipul, Just one word! Awesome!
How did I miss this thread!

Terrific maintenance of the car to begin with. The car looks absolute brand new.

A few questions:
1. How did you fix the badges? Does it come with adhesives?
2. How did you clean those black strips on bumper and the stone guards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
An ex-DBHPian said, Mud flaps tend to retain water in the wheel wells when driving at higher speeds - mud flaps are accessories except in few cars that come with them factory fitted. Mudflaps disturb the regular look of a car IMO.

Imagine a Ford Fiesta 1.6S with mudflaps stuck to the skirts or, a lancer in SFXi trim with muflaps - they will look horrible IMO.

I will say, Vipul's GTX looks better without the mudflaps. Period.

But, I love mudflaps and have them in all of our cars.
I badly miss the original flaps that came with my car, with 'Palio' written in white. Lost the letters long back and lost one of them lately. These were of high quality and wide enough so that it does't look awkward with upsized tyres. Any idea where i can source them?
Attached Images

bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 21:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

That's a great looking original and total drool maal! Took me back to 2001 when I test rode the car at samyak in orange. Anyways...enjoy this pic from my side!
Attached Thumbnails
Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-img-20.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 22:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An ex-DBHPian said, Mud flaps tend to retain water in the wheel wells when driving at higher speeds - mud flaps are accessories except in few cars that come with them factory fitted. Mudflaps disturb the regular look of a car IMO.

Imagine a Ford Fiesta 1.6S with mudflaps stuck to the skirts or, a lancer in SFXi trim with muflaps - they will look horrible IMO.

I will say, Vipul's GTX looks better without the mudflaps. Period.

But, I love mudflaps and have them in all of our cars.
Mud Flaps, the type and colour of which can make or break the looks of any car. I had once seen red colour flaps that too protruding out and extending up in a Punto which was an eye sore leave alone the Punto's looks.

Ambassadors, looked nice without mud flaps, but the mud and dirt splashes used to corrode the running boards and the boot bottom.

Vipul Your car has become more cute and sexy. Take care. Keep it close to your heart.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th June 2011 at 22:58.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 01:46   #50

Hey this reminds me of my car. Its silver too. Pictures attached are just afer it was painted and taken to Goa on our holiday in May 2010.

Love your attention to detail.

Did you replace the timing chain? and if yes what was the cost? Should the timing belt tensioners also be replaced at the same time?
Attached Thumbnails
Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-p10207501.jpg  

Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-p10207491.jpg  

Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-p10207421.jpg  

Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-p10207401.jpg  

Spotty91 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 11:26   #51
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years

Vipul,

Your Palio looks fantastic

The Palio design is timeless and kudos for maintaining it in stock form

Seeing your Car and the care that you have taken to maintain it I feel ashamed of not cleaning my SDX myself even for a single day in the last 7 months of owning her.

Adding 5 Stars from my side too!
lloydofcochin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 12:36   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey vipul_singh, your eye for detail and passion to keep your car spick and span is unmatched!. I'm surprised at the condition of the interiors of a 9 year old 94,000 car. Awesome man!

The car deserves a set of tbhp stickers.

PS- Could you please PM me the cost break-up. Tnx!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 20:27   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Any idea where i can source them?
Try Meena Motors, Secunderabad. Bhavesh Patel (040-27811593, 64560041) had them sometime back when I too was searching for them.
lejhoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2011, 20:43   #54
BHPian

Whoa! That is superb craftsmanship. Guys, anybody in Thane that would do a job like this? Am thinking of giving my Baleno a make over
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:37   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
That's a great looking original and total drool maal! Took me back to 2001 when I test rode the car at samyak in orange. Anyways...enjoy this pic from my side!
Sid, do you have more pics to share. That picture doesn't look like the Indian 1.6 engine bay.

Spotty - 1.6 doesn't have a timing chain - the timing belt cost 1850/- (part number : 0055188191) - it better to replace all belts and bearings (timing x 2 / fixed & idler) at one go - AC & Alternator belts will have to pulled out in order to pull out the timing belt. AC & Alternator belt cost roughly 200 each.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th June 2011 at 13:40.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:42   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Quote:
Sid, do you have more pics to share. That picture doesn't look like the Indian 1.6 engine bay.
The battery used in the engine bay was not available in India in 2001, if this picture is actually from 2001. Also, the power steering fluid container cap on the left looks different.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 13:46   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The battery used in the engine bay was not available in India in 2001, if this picture is actually from 2001. Also, the power steering fluid container cap on the left looks different.
yes, again the ECU is missing, the plug wires and coil pack - all seems to be lost somewhere. Air intake is different.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th June 2011 at 13:47.
Old 20th June 2011, 13:51   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Spotty - 1.6 doesn't have a timing chain - the timing belt cost 1850/- (part number : 0055188191) - it better to replace all belts and bearings (timing x 2 / fixed & idler) at one go - AC & Alternator belts will have to pulled out in order to pull out the timing belt. AC & Alternator belt cost roughly 200 each.
Hi,

Isn't the timing chain supposed to outlive the vehicle?.

- Dhanush
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:07   #59
BHPian

@planet / @ architect,

The pic posted by Sid looks like the 1.9D, unless I am very wrong
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 14:53   #60
Senior - BHPian

@ Dhanush - yes, definitely until and unless an engine rebuild is required and timing chain is required to be taken out. Ford Ikon has a timing chain, IIRC

@ Vipul - you were absolutely right

i should have thought about the missing plugs:

Cosmetic makeover of an ol' Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX. EDIT: Now @ 128K kms and 11 years-1.9d.jpg

Last edited by planet_rocker : 20th June 2011 at 15:06.