Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th October 2012, 10:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+ ownership review. Update - 2nd ser

Good to see the final output.
But, how exactly were they scrubbing the car 'hard'? Was it with some cloth or with hand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Scrubbing hard to remove any surface dirt
Are you certain you had all those swirl marks before you went for the 3M treatment?
I have a feeling that the hard scrubbing would have introduced a few swirl marks as well - which they got rid off using the polisher later on.

Do you have an option of steam wash in your city? At least that won't need this hard scrubbing and will save lots of water too.
Try it next time and share your experience with all of us.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 10:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+ ownership review. Update - 2nd ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
My gawd! If looks can kill, this is it. She is gorgeous da. Honestly, I dont see much of a difference between the first and the last pic.

Congratulations for the new beauty . I guess it will be the Rocket that might come along for the next few meets.

OT : Would you know, how much would it cost if I get this thing done for the Scorp?
thanks a lot Avinash. I think your scorpio would need this badly, since you just completed the Ladakh trip also. I paid 4.4k for the sedan. I guess yours will be some 500 bucks more since its an SUV with more surface area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Wonderful job by 3M car care. I think its time for me to take my car to 3M as there are swirl marks all over the body and some small scratches by Hyundai service guys and two wheelers. How much do they charge for the power shine package? DO we need to take prior appointment?
They do a really neat job, and Sidhu sir personally supervises the whole treatment process and makes sure you return satisfied. The power shine package costs around 3k for a hatchback, and the paint sealant comes to somewhere around 3.6-3.7k. I'll send you Pradeep's business card sometime now. All we need to do is inform him a day or two in advance so they are prepared. Avoid going on Sundays since its quite crowded. Saturday should be fine.

P.S - drop me a sms whenever you go, I might join. I also need to give the Jet a proper wash after all these rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Good to see the final output.
But, how exactly were they scrubbing the car 'hard'? Was it with some cloth or with hand?
It was with 3M cloth. I mentioned 'scrubbing hard' just for some humour, didn't literally mean it *lol*. They are quite gentle with the cars and have maintained their superior workmanship since the time I started going here (which was in early 2011).

Quote:
Are you certain you had all those swirl marks before you went for the 3M treatment?
I have a feeling that the hard scrubbing would have introduced a few swirl marks as well - which they got rid off using the polisher later on.
Absolutely certain. The swirl marks were caused by ME on occasions when I did not use microfibre cloth to scrub dirt, and I did the hard rubbing during a few washes last year. I learnt my lesson and now don't use anything other than microfibre . These guys detail even sports cars and exotics (of VIPs) and know their job well, they don't use anything other than 3M microfibre cloth, so no doubts on them.

Quote:
Do you have an option of steam wash in your city? At least that won't need this hard scrubbing and will save lots of water too.
Try it next time and share your experience with all of us.
In my experience, the water jets are far more powerful than steam washes when it comes to ejecting dirt from the tiny gaps. I have tried 3M steam wash at another centre, but it doesn't impress as much as this. I agree that it saves water though.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th October 2012 at 10:37.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 13:36   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skm1967 View Post

My T-Jet+ has completed 2 months and I have driven her just 900 km! The reason being the use of official car for daily commute. Really it's been a great experience whatever little I have driven the T-Jet. The ride, handling of the T-Jet is great and the features list is good. However I need your advice on two issues that I have noticed.

Glad to know you took the dive for this beast. It is the best driver's car southwards of 20L. Hearty congratulations and wish you miles and miles of driving pleasure and niggle-free ownership, literally speaking! The t-Jet is the most niggle-free Fiat ever, in my opinion.

Quote:
One is that if you are not in turbo zone(<2000rpm) and you need immediate acceleration to overtake, you need to downshift as the response is sluggish and rpm doesn't build up and reach turbo zone quick enough or at desired rate.
True. It is annoying when you are not in boost zone, yes. The boost begins somewhere around 1600-1800 rpm, so is it really that much of a bother? You will get used to it within a few months. Note that the turbo punch after 1800 is really monstrous and extends all the way till 5500 rpm or so. In fact, you'll have to be really careful when you are in the boost zone. A minute lapse in concentration and the car can blast forward in seconds if you're not careful with easing off the throttle. The lag is negligible, and as long as you are in the turbo zone you are good to go. Start shifting up at 3000rpm inside the city, that way you will be in turbo zone in the next gear as well (after shifting), so the acceleration can continue uniformly from there. The gear ratios are perfectly setup in the T-Jet, and you won't find any reason to complain if you remain in the turbo zone.

Quote:
Second issue is that I find the A pillars too thick and there is a blind spot especilly when you turn right. Would appreciate advice on these two issues as you have extensive experience on the T-Jet..
Not too sure about this. I find visibility quite good in the T-Jet. I am 6'1" tall and I sit at a very backward position (seat almost fully pushed back). From that position, the visibility seems ok to me and the A-pillar doesn't bother me much. Perhaps you could try increasing your seat height to get a better view of things on the road?

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th November 2012 at 13:49.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2012, 15:07   #154
BHPian

Dear Karthik,

Thanks very much for your wishes and valuable advice. Really appreciate your prompt and elaborate reply. I must tell you that your inputs on this forum greatly helped me in deciding on the T-Jet. Following your advice and with some more experience on turbo-charged petrol, I am sure this minor irritant of lag will vanish. The A pillar will also just require some getting used to.
Regards.
skm1967 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 15:33   #155
Senior - BHPian

I recently did a ~700km drive to Ooty and back on the Jet. After the trip, I was noticing some slight wobbling at low speeds. I headed out to Madhu's for a quick checkup last week. The tyres were slightly out of balance, and I got the balance and alignment set right. The wobbling issue still persisted beyond this.

I took the car to Prerana motors yesterday to get it checked on. Surendra and Satish had a close look at the car. I must have wasted at least 4-5 hours of their time in trying to investigate what was the problem causing the low speed wobble. Satish took multiple test drives, we hauled up the Jet on the hydraulic lifts and checked - there were no visible signs of alloy wheel bend either. We checked the tie rods, bushes, suspension, steering column, etc. I don't remember hitting any pothole or speed breaker either, so it was weird that something like this cropped up suddenly.

Some symptoms :

- vehicle wobbles at 20-40 kmph mildly
- when accelerating quickly, the vehicle used to feel jerky in that speed range.
- the ride flattens out beyond 40 kmph and there is no wobble after that speed. Neither is it there below 20kmph.

Finally after a few hours of investigation, he did notice some uneven wear and some weird marks on 1 particular tyre (Front right to be precise). What it turned out to be: there is a steel belt failure on the lousy stock Goodyear Eagle. In short, the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5 has failed on the right front!

I registered a formal complaint with Goodyear, and they have given me an inspection date of 13th December. From what Satish says, they are pretty liberal about giving free replacements on the Goodyear Eagles. Let me see how the inspection and investigation goes. Till then, my Jet is grounded, so are my weekend drives and trips.

I am not interested in driving on these lousy tyres anymore. Let them give me a free replacement or whatever. After that, I cannot drive with 1 new tyre and 3 old ones, that sounds stupid. I will take that free tyre and switch all 5 to one of these 3 options :

- 205/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza GR-90
- 205/55R16 Continental CPC2
- 205/55R16 Michelin Primacy LC

I have a personal grudge against Yokohama since I suffered a premature tyre failure on my previous car (Accent) and they refused to honour warranty on it. No more Yokohamas and Yokozunas for me.

Michelin Primacy LC is almost ruled out since I need some ruggedness to tackle sudden potholes and bumps on highways. My choice will be among the first 2 options. Current T-Jet owners, please advise on which one would be better.

I will update this thread with the outcome of the Goodyear inspection and investigation.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th December 2012 at 15:54.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 15:57   #156
BHPian

Do I see a trend here??? I have faced the same issue with the front right tyre on Crusoe. I have shifted it to rear right and the wobbling (not too pronounced but can be felt due to the extremely responsive steering) has reduced. I registered an official complaint with Goodyear but they rejected the claim stating it to be "Normal wear". There is ~65% wear within 15K kms. I will probably drive them for another 5-7K and then replace the entire set. I checked Bridgestone MY 01 (stock size) and they do seem to be worthy replacement. I am also considering up sizing to 205/60 R16. The extra 10 mm might make the ride more plush. Will wait for the update on Goodyear's inspection on your car.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 09:46   #157
BHPian

Folks,

I changed over to Michelin Primacy LC the 2nd day I bought my Linea MJD. It's been nearly 3.5 years now with 39K on the odo. And they are running quite OK. I have done quite a few long distance trips across Karnataka in that, where some included non-existent roads. Touch wood, till date I havent had a single puncture.

I find tread wear to be normal so far - I would say around 60% tread wear so far. Probably good atleast for another 8K - 10K before I need to look at a replacement. I of course do a regular alignment & wheel balancing every 5K - 6K kms.

So I am not sure about the talk on Primacy's being not rugged for daily use. My contra-theory is that because of the soft sidewalls, it's probably able to resist cuts / punctures from sharp objects, as flexing prevents piercing :-)
kdadi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 00:00   #158
Senior - BHPian

All right, here is my update, long overdue since I wasn't able to find time to upload pictures in the past few days. A lot of things have been happening on the tyre front. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I had requested Goodyear for an inspection. It happened at the specified time and date. The surveyor couldn't find anything abnormal through a visual inspection of all 5 tyres, and ruled that the wear was close to normal wear and tear. I then had a debate with him, along with taking him on multiple test drives to show him how and when the wobble was occurring. He finally agreed that the front 2 tyres did show some abnormal wear and tear and could possibly be suffering from some form of internal belt damage.

Net result : Goodyear agreed to give me 2 Eagle NCT5 tyres at 25% of the MRP cost. I wasn't too happy with this decision, but in the end I decided to take it, since something is better than nothing.

Next step : I wasn't too keen on continuing with 2 new goodyear eagles and 2 old eagles. A tyre upgrade was on the cards anyway, and the arrival of this Goodyear voucher (75% of 2 new tyres) accelerated my decision. I went to Nikhil (Madhus enterprises) who suggested me to try the Hunter Road Force Balancer machine, and see if he can match weak spots on the tyre and alloy to try and reduce wobble, instead of going for outright purchase of new tyres.

The Hunter road force balancer was a superb machine, measured for all kinds of tyre/alloy wheel defects and deformities. It concluded that 2 tyres were producing too much of road force, and was the reason for the low speed wobble. He matched the weak spots and the machine even showed me the best combination of fitting the 4 tyres on 4 slots for minimum pull, minimum vibrations, etc.

I tried it out for a week. The pulling to right was gone, but the low speed wobble was still prevalent. This was when my patience had reached its threshold.

After I decided to change, I kept pestering Nikhil to suggest a good set of tyres for me. I wasn't keen on Yokozunas like I mentioned before. I wanted to have a look at Bridgestone Turanza GR-90s. Then I found that it was priced at 10,500 bucks a piece, close to 1000 bucks costlier than Michelin's Primacy LC for the same size. This was like buying a Mercedes C class for the price of a BMW 5-series. Nikhil suggested that they are not worth the extra premium over Primacys, and as long as I am a bit careful with the Primacy's sidewalls, they will serve me very well. The final decision was to go for Michelin Primacy LCs, just a question of when.

Just today afternoon, I called Nikhil and asked him to keep 4 Michelin Primacy LCs ready for me. The Jet was getting new shoes, and french shoes at that. The best in the world. I got rid of all the 4 goodyears, and the unused spare tyre (Goodyear) will continue to remain in the boot as is. In summary, The Jet now has an upgraded set of tyres - upgraded from garbage quality Goodyear Eagle NCT5 205/55R16 (91V) to Michelin Primacy LC 205/55R16 (91W). The tyre costed 9600 a piece, but I believe it is worth it. Nikhil insisted that I get another session of the Hunter road force balancer just to ensure everything's okay.

I took a short drive after the tyre upgrade, and boy what a difference it has made in the comfort and noise. With Michelin Primacy LCs, the Jet now has :
- zero tyre noise, and the only sound you hear is of the sweet turbo petrol engine
- an amazing cushioning effect on potholes, speedbreakers and bad patchy roads.
- a lighter steering at parking speeds.
- reduced stopping distance.

I will reserve further comments until I have considerable number of miles clocked on these new shoes. Here are some pictures of the tyre upgrade at Madhus enterprises:

Removing the old Goodyear Eagle NCT5s
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0631.jpg

Fitting Michelin Primacy LCs on the Jet's alloys
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0633.jpg

The sticker says it all!
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0634.jpg

Inflating Nitrogen into the new Michelins
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0635.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0636.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0637.jpg

The secret of Michelin's silence - this tread pattern on Primacy LCs
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0638.jpg

Some pictures of the Hunter road force balancer machine at Madhus
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0639.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0640.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0642.jpg

Getting ready to wear french shoes
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0643.jpg

These tyres I mean
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0644.jpg

The Jet finally got the tyres it deserved from day 1.
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0648.jpg

Like the old saying goes, all's well that ends well! T-Jet owners, if you are reading this, take my word for it - the Primacy LC makes a world of difference in the T-Jet drive/ownership experience. 200% recommended upgrade!

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th December 2012 at 00:10.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 08:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

Can you share how much is the cost difference between normal balancing and road force balancing?
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 09:31   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you share how much is the cost difference between normal balancing and road force balancing?
Currently the charges are not different from the regular Balancing even though the cost of the road force machine is significantly higher. On probing, Nikhil revealed that he is still training his boys for the job and it is unfair to charge higher during this time.

I got the road force balancing done on my car, 3 tyres are crap. Time to visit the Service Center as well.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 10:00   #161
Senior - BHPian

You can't go wrong with the Michelin's. Does this mean you forfeited the Goodyear voucher's ?
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 12:19   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
You can't go wrong with the Michelin's. Does this mean you forfeited the Goodyear voucher's ?
No fiat_tarun, The arithmetic went like this :

- Goodyear offered me 2 new tyres as replacement, but I had to bear 25% of the cost. Each new (Goodyear Eagle NCT5 205/55R16) tyre costs 7500 bucks a piece.

- Michelin Primacy LC 205/55R16 costs around 9600 bucks a piece.

- I got 2000 bucks for the remaining 2 Goodyear Eagles.

I gave Madhus the voucher and showed to Goodyear that I am claiming their replacement offer, by paying 25% of 14k (approx 11k). Madhus will get the 2 new tyres (my replacements) into their inventory. Simultaneously, I swap the 2 new and the 2 old Goodyear eagles for 4 new Michelin Primacy LCs.

Net damage on the wallet = 38400 (4 Michelins) - 11k (2 new goodyears) - 4k (2 old goodyears) = approx 22k
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 12:48   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The final decision was to go for Michelin Primacy LCs
These Michelin PLCs are fantastic. I've been using the exact same size/ spec of tyres in my Laura from day one. I swapped the GY NCTs for these immediately after purchase of my car. I have now completed 30,000 kms and the tyres have not changed one bit in their nature. The tyres have worn evenly and will easily last 50,000 kms +. They will transform the way your car rides
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 13:11   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
These Michelin PLCs are fantastic. I've been using the exact same size/ spec of tyres in my Laura from day one. I swapped the GY NCTs for these immediately after purchase of my car. I have now completed 30,000 kms and the tyres have not changed one bit in their nature. The tyres have worn evenly and will easily last 50,000 kms +. They will transform the way your car rides
Thanks for the update Santosh! Feels good to have some reviews from current PLC users .

Since you have 30,000 kms logged with these tyres, I have a question for you - how rugged do you find these tyres are, on highways?

I am still delicately taking all the potholes and speedbreakers I encounter at <10kmph speeds. On highways, we usually encounter sudden craters which we can't slow down for. How do you generally treat these tyres on bad roads/highways? Is extreme caution required or have you been driving normally just like any other OEM tyre on speedbreakers and potholes?
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 18:43   #165
BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT : Tyres upgraded to Michelin

Hi Karthik,

Nice Michelin PLC tyres there and shocking to see Goodyear getting abnormal wear and tear issues. I had Goodyear GPS2 in my Getz for almost 5 years and they had done only 30k odd kms but they had some bumps on the outer wall which made me change to Michelin XM1+ (worth the decision). But the Goodyears got only 2 flats in 2 years. Guess their QC has come down a bit.

OT:Is this Madhus Enterprises on Langford Road or another branch? The Langford Road one looks different.
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote