Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 29th December 2012, 10:15   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT : Tyres upgraded to Michelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath34 View Post
Hi Karthik,

Nice Michelin PLC tyres there and shocking to see Goodyear getting abnormal wear and tear issues. I had Goodyear GPS2 in my Getz for almost 5 years and they had done only 30k odd kms but they had some bumps on the outer wall which made me change to Michelin XM1+ (worth the decision). But the Goodyears got only 2 flats in 2 years. Guess their QC has come down a bit.

OT:Is this Madhus Enterprises on Langford Road or another branch? The Langford Road one looks different.
Thanks srinath34 . I was pretty shocked to find the tyres starting to wobble at such a low mileage (7000 kms). Anyway, I am done with the Goodyear brand for good now.

This was the Madhus enterprises on Langford road . They have renovated the building and are now official dealers for Michelin, hence the rather new looking exteriors
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 11:12   #167
BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+ ownership review. Update - 2nd ser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Thanks for the update Santosh! Feels good to have some reviews from current PLC users .

Since you have 30,000 kms logged with these tyres, I have a question for you - how rugged do you find these tyres are, on highways?

I am still delicately taking all the potholes and speedbreakers I encounter at <10kmph speeds. On highways, we usually encounter sudden craters which we can't slow down for. How do you generally treat these tyres on bad roads/highways? Is extreme caution required or have you been driving normally just like any other OEM tyre on speedbreakers and potholes?
The level of delicacy you are treating these tires with is not really necessary. I've had 225/55R16 99W Michelin PLCs for 13.5k kms now. Have been treating normally. Not slowing down for city potholes at all. As you know in Cruze if you slow down for potholes the ride is horrible. So potholes and small road humps are taken at normal speeds without slowing down at all. The only thing i take care of is to make sure i take the pothole in the middle. IE i don't make half hearted attempts to avoid it. This makes sure that my side wall isn't brushing against the sharp edges. Same for the highway. Avoid if possible but if not do not worry too much. They are sufficiently rugged. Only thing is avoid brushing your sidewall!!

Last edited by rangakishen : 29th December 2012 at 11:14.
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2012, 11:25   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+ ownership review. Update - 2nd ser

Quote:
Thanks for the update Santosh! Feels good to have some reviews from current PLC users .

Since you have 30,000 kms logged with these tyres, I have a question for you - how rugged do you find these tyres are, on highways?

I am still delicately taking all the potholes and speedbreakers I encounter at <10kmph speeds. On highways, we usually encounter sudden craters which we can't slow down for. How do you generally treat these tyres on bad roads/highways? Is extreme caution required or have you been driving normally just like any other OEM tyre on speedbreakers and potholes?
Well I do take good care of my car and generally slow down for potholes and stuff. Whenever I am driving over bad terrain I do scan the road surface very carefully and try to take the track which which will cause minimum hurt to the tyre/ wheels, the cars suspension and underbody. But that I would do no matter what tyres I am running. What I am trying to say is that I have not been extra careful just because I am riding on Michelins. Over the past 30,000 kms I have driven extensively over high speed four laned highways, rough internal state roads and some very bad ghat roads as well. Many times carrying a full load of passengers and luggage.

For the record, one of my tyres developed a sidewall bulge at 12,000 kms which Michelin replaced under 'goodwill warranty'. According to their engineer it wasn't due to manufacturing defect but due to the tyre running over a very sharp stone. I had posted this on the Michelin thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post2643406 (Michelin Primacy LC). Apart from this one blip, none of my tyres have even suffered a puncture (touch wood) .

Maintain the right tyre pressure and take the normal precaution that you would as a passenger car owner and you've got nothing to worry.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 16:14   #169
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT : Tyres upgraded to Michelin

Karthik,
This is an amazing ownership thread you have keyed in. 2 Cars that have always been a source of envy and inspiration for me, your Jet and Sajan's Verna. Very tough to choose which one amongst you have the better ones.
Have three queries and I hope you will be able to help me
1) Would 3M do similar stuff for motorcycles?
2) Are the 3D Kagu mats available for swift?
3) Any reason why you zeroed in on Michelin Primacy against Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone Turanza?

Good Luck Mate.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 16:30   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Karthik,
This is an amazing ownership thread you have keyed in. 2 Cars that have always been a source of envy and inspiration for me, your Jet and Sajan's Verna. Very tough to choose which one amongst you have the better ones.
Have three queries and I hope you will be able to help me
Thanks a lot Mahesh sir. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
1) Would 3M do similar stuff for motorcycles?
They are not authorised to do any detailing on motorcycles I believe. Even I was looking at this option for the Thunderbird, but seems like there is a shortage of bike detailing shops in the city.

Quote:
2) Are the 3D Kagu mats available for swift?
Definitely available. You have the option of getting them in black/grey/beige colors. Here's a link you can buy from :
http://www.ebay.in/itm/3D-Mats-Regul...item257900a2b9

I picked it up from HotTracks, Victoria layout since I didn't want to wait for the delivery.

Quote:
3) Any reason why you zeroed in on Michelin Primacy against Michelin XM2 and Bridgestone Turanza?
Xm2 wasn't available in this size (205/55R16), and Turanza GR90 was overpriced about 1k more than Primacy LC per tyre, without offering any better performance than Michelins. The only other option was Yokohama AVS DB 550. I have a personal grudge against Yokohama since they didn't honor warranty for a premature tyre failure on my Swift a couple of years back . So that's how the final choice turned out to be Michelin Primacy LC.

Primacy LC's advantages over its competitors :
- zero tyre noise. You can take a test drive of my car during the next meet to really believe this. Pin drop silence literally.
- very soft and cushioned ride is a delight on bad roads
- excellent grip
- brand name

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th January 2013 at 16:32.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 16:46   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Primacy LC's advantages over its competitors :
- zero tyre noise. You can take a test drive of my car during the next meet to really believe this. Pin drop silence literally.
- very soft and cushioned ride is a delight on bad roads
- excellent grip
- brand name
Aiygaa why me being called Sir now :(

Thanks for the link on the Ebay for Kagu Mats. Currently am making use of the original rubber mats on my swift that came along with the car. After 120K kms they are finally showing some wear on the driver's pad. Was thinking of Kagu to replace them.

You are correct, there are very few people who detail the motorcycles, can be a good sunrise business if anybody is reading this.

Regarding the tires, mine are running on XM1+, they were exceptionally quiet for the initial 30K kms. Having done 50K on them, they are noisy hence wanted to know the difference between Primacy & XM. Will be in the market soon for a replacement for my car as they have crossed 50K and might have tread worth another 10K.

By the way Excellent thread, voting it 5 Star.
Old 7th January 2013, 16:56   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Thanks for the link on the Ebay for Kagu Mats. Currently am making use of the original rubber mats on my swift that came along with the car. After 120K kms they are finally showing some wear on the driver's pad. Was thinking of Kagu to replace them.
120k kms!!! are you serious??!!
Tyres didn't last that long, but rubber mats lasted 120K kms??!!

Quote:
You are correct, there are very few people who detail the motorcycles, can be a good sunrise business if anybody is reading this.
with the tons of performance bikes in Bangalore, it will be a runaway success for sure. I think I just got my idea for premature retirement and starting something new *lol*

Quote:
Regarding the tires, mine are running on XM1+, they were exceptionally quiet for the initial 30K kms. Having done 50K on them, they are noisy hence wanted to know the difference between Primacy & XM. Will be in the market soon for a replacement for my car as they have crossed 50K and might have tread worth another 10K.
I completely agree with you on the XM1+. I had those on my old Accent prior to buying the t-Jet. In fact, if you ask me the difference between the XM1+ and Primacy LC in terms of noise, the Primacy LC would probably get a 10/10 rating and the XM1+ would get a 6/10 or 7/10 rating on the same scale. I highly recommend them. In fact, these Primacy LCs are so comfortable, I'm thinking of changing even my Punto's tyres to Michelins sometime soon. Same tyre update will go on my other thread very soon.

Primacy LC is available on the 195/60R15 size and upwards, so if you are running 14" alloys now, you might have to change those rims too .

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th January 2013 at 17:12.
Old 7th January 2013, 17:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
120k kms!!! are you serious??!!
Tyres didn't last that long, but rubber mats lasted 120K kms??!!

In fact, these Primacy LCs are so comfortable, I'm thinking of changing even my Punto's tyres to Michelins sometime soon. Same tyre update will go on my other thread very soon
Yes Buddie, will send in the photos via PM or will post it on your thread with no intention to hijack it as I currently do not have an ownership thread. The car has done 120K and has seen only one set of tires being replaced at 69K and got the suspension bushes replaced four times. Steering Bush has been replaced as they got worn out at 100K Service.
Apart from that she is running like a gem and not even a clutch replacement.

Ahh that's the catch, Primacy do not come in 14 inchs eh!!! Guess will have to manage with XM2 then as am not keen on upgrading the rim by an inch. The current set that am using are that of ZXI Variant.

Yes it does sound very good and you can specialize only on 2 wheelers. Let me know if you need some space and I can help you with that
Old 10th February 2013, 10:23   #174
Senior - BHPian

Just spotted a video on 3M detailing carried out on a black Linea. The video was shot in some other country, but that doesn't matter. After seeing this video, no black car owner will ever regret buying this gorgeous color. One look at the car in this clip proves why Black remains the all-time best car color, ever. Outstanding work by whoever did this. The surface literally looks like it was made from chrome!

After seeing this video, I got a sudden urge to detail the T-Jet to the mirror finish surface effect achieved in this video. I have nothing else to do on a boring Sunday anyway. Watch out for pictures and/or videos of 'Operation Mirror', to be executed today . Let me see if I can better the finish shown in that youtube video.

Recipe - 3M foam wash + 3M paint sealant + TechWax 2.0 detailing polish + half a day's time.

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th February 2013 at 10:31.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 10:36   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Recipe - 3M foam wash + 3M paint sealant + TechWax 2.0 detailing polish + half a day's time.
Karthik, Techwax and 3M paint sealant are the same thing if I am not mistaken. 3M paint sealant must be the performance finish wax whereas the Tech wax is the purple paste.

To get that level of gloss you also need a polish. Polish and wax being 2 different things. Wax being a protective layer whereas polish is what brings out the gloss.

Since your car is already detailed by 3M you obviously don't need the clay and compounding process.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 10:42   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Karthik, Techwax and 3M paint sealant are the same thing if I am not mistaken. 3M paint sealant must be the performance finish wax whereas the Tech wax is the purple paste.

To get that level of gloss you also need a polish. Polish and wax being 2 different things. Wax being a protective layer whereas polish is what brings out the gloss.

Since your car is already detailed by 3M you obviously don't need the clay and compounding process.
Sorry for the slip-up, I meant
3M foam wash + TechWax 2.0 detailing polish + half a day's time.

Not sure why I mentioned paint sealant here, that was already done in September last year. Yes paint sealant is also a form of wax, which stays on the surface for longer than regular wax.

Well I thought the TechWax 2.0 did bring out some superb gloss on the Punto's surface, without any polishing. Is there any additional polish that is required on top of the wax? I always thought wax was itself the polish! I'm no detailing guru (just looking for results) , so please clarify my newbie-ish query.

EDIT : spotted this thread, an informative read
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...vs-polish.html (Car Wax vs Polish)

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th February 2013 at 10:46.
Old 10th February 2013, 10:47   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well I thought the TechWax 2.0 did bring out some superb gloss on the Punto's surface, without any polishing. Is there any additional polish that is required on top of the wax? I always thought wax was itself the polish! I'm no detailing guru (just looking for results) , so please clarify my newbie-ish query.
Techwax will definitely bring a little gloss but not as much as a true polish. What your looking for is a "show car" finish.

Take a look at this:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!

The Tech wax is the protect part and not the polish part. Wax on top of polish is deep gloss.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 10:56   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Techwax will definitely bring a little gloss but not as much as a true polish. What your looking for is a "show car" finish.

Take a look at this:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-Cycle-Updated!

The Tech wax is the protect part and not the polish part. Wax on top of polish is deep gloss.
Excellent, informative article! Thanks a ton for clearing the doubt and misconception. I think I'll need to head to 3M again now for some more product shopping .
Not sure if they have stock of 'Show car glaze', I've never seen that on the shelves there. I'll see if I can source the show car detailing polish and get similar results as the video.

By the way, that article mentions TechWax 2.0 being a protective wax with a little bit of polish. That explains the reason for the Punto's gloss effect I guess. As you said, for deeper gloss I need a more hardcore polish

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th February 2013 at 10:57.
Old 28th April 2013, 15:45   #179
Senior - BHPian

Here's an update after more than 2 months. Yes, there's been nothing to update about the T-Jet after my tyre swap job in January. The car has been doing duty diligently on weekends. I have no new niggles to report, no problems whatsoever, no accessories installed either. The T-Jet is the rejuvenation therapy car which goes out on long drives and highway jaunts on weekends, while its younger clatterbox sibling is the one doing home-office commute duty on weekdays.

On the T-Jet, I had been working on achieving some gloss effect results on detailing, both personally at home and with 3M Car care's detailing services on their menu. The ~2 year old car looks better now than it did on delivery day! Here are some pictures of the Jet® in all its glossy glory! I'm still not satisfied with the shine, and will be attempting for more show-car type shine.

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0817.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0818.jpg

Project Extreme Shine - phase 1 !
My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0819.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0820.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0821.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0823.jpg

My Terrestrial Fighter Jet : Fiat Linea T-Jet+. EDIT: 3 years, 4th Service completed-dsc_0824.jpg

Last edited by KarthikK : 28th April 2013 at 15:46.
KarthikK is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2013, 11:01   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I'm still not satisfied with the shine, and will be attempting for more show-car type shine.
Karthikk you are kidding right ??

You actually realize right bro that you have 2 deadly factors working against you & your "Perfect Shine" for the T-jet -

Black (Color) & Bangalore.

Any more shine and people might start treating your Jet as a 'Make-shift' Public Mirror. lol
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote