Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th January 2014, 10:28   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
The LED DRLs are looking good. I am thinking they will look even better on my white TSi. Apart from installation, you had to enble them in s/w? Can you also post a picture with DRLs and fogs ON? Thanks!

Anand, you have to enable DRLs first via VCDS. I had got it enabled at the service station during my first service itself and was running on regular bulbs till now.

DRLs remain on during day time only. Once you switch on parking lights/ fog lights/ headlights they go off.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 10:42   #167
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The ODO is currently at 48,500 kms. The trouble free ownership experience continues with the car still being able to put a smile on my face during every single drive. Its been about 10k kms after the remap and I am happy to report that the remap has not affected the car in any adverse manner. The Bilstein B6s too are just awesome. The best part is that they have improved handling without sacrificing the ride quality much. The mods carried out at 38k kms have truly upped the fun factor of the car. I am so happy I overcame my fear of modding the car and went ahead with the mods
Congrats Santosh on trouble free ownership of your car. Also, the recent mods carried out (ICE) looks very good. You missed highlighting the price of these equipment installation.

Seeing your repeated praise of the B6, Iam sorely tempted to go for them ...But, the problem with me is Iam enjoying my bike rides more than my Cruze ( not that I dont enjoy WA, I do every single kms behind the wheel)

What's the FE you get in your car in City and Highways? Last month I did a 2400kms drive to Kodai and I got a healthy overall average of 14kmpl

Also, I was pointed out by my watchman yesterday that my stock fog bulb ( left side) conked off. That is after 3.5 years of use. Do you recommend these white bulbs for fog or should i stick to yellow purely for sake of asthetic sense ( I do know yellows offer more visibility than whites)

Cheers and Enjoy !!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 11:25   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DRLs remain on during day time only. Once you switch on parking lights/ fog lights/ headlights they go off.
Great. Thanks. So no white/yellow mixture. Also, we can continue to use real fog lamps when it matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Also, I was pointed out by my watchman yesterday that my stock fog bulb ( left side) conked off. That is after 3.5 years of use. Do you recommend these white bulbs for fog or should i stick to yellow purely for sake of asthetic sense ( I do know yellows offer more visibility than whites)

Cheers and Enjoy !!
No bulb failure warning on instrument cluster?
I would say, if you want to be able to "see" a little bit during fog/rains, please stick to yellows. Why sacrifice functionality for aesthetics?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 12:10   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
No bulb failure warning on instrument cluster? I would say, if you want to be able to "see" a little bit during fog/rains, please stick to yellows. Why sacrifice functionality for aesthetics?
No bulb failure warning on the cluster. Thanks, Will try to stick to yellow !!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 15:39   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Santosh on trouble free ownership of your car. Also, the recent mods carried out (ICE) looks very good. You missed highlighting the price of these equipment installation.

Seeing your repeated praise of the B6, Iam sorely tempted to go for them ...But, the problem with me is Iam enjoying my bike rides more than my Cruze ( not that I dont enjoy WA, I do every single kms behind the wheel)

What's the FE you get in your car in City and Highways? Last month I did a 2400kms drive to Kodai and I got a healthy overall average of 14kmpl

Cheers and Enjoy !!
The Blaupunkt Unit costed me some 46K odd and the DRLs about 60 Euros ~ roughly Rs. 5k.

The B6s have been the best investment I've made on the car. The best part is that even when the car is loaded to its gills it does not feel heavy. The car feels a lot more chuckable and inspires great confidence at the wheel while cornering or changing lanes. It compliments the powerful engine very well and makes for some great fun at the wheel.

Highway FE depends on how you drive. If I maintain a steady 100 to 120 Kph it gives about 14 kpl. This is post remap and wider tyre change. Before that it used to give about 15 ~ 16 at similar speeds. I generally get about 11 to 12 kpl on my drives to Belgaum. I won't mention speeds as it will be against forum rules . Curiously with Speed 97 the FE does not improve, only the car feels more powerful and eager compared to regular fuel.

As Anand said white LEDs are for show only. They are bad in illuminating the road. In my case these are DRLs and are used during day time only. I have not changed the fog light's bulbs which are regular yellow bulbs.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 15:56   #171
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Santosh! That's a nice user experience and I'm glad you're enjoying it to the brim. I am under the impression even though its a German vehicle, if you maintain properly it could give you countless miles! I'm now waiting for your 100K review.

You'd mentioned about the squeak from the LHS dashboard, were you able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue.

Last edited by nitinbose : 16th January 2014 at 16:09.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 17:09   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
You'd mentioned about the squeak from the LHS dashboard, were you able to resolve this? I'm having the same issue.
I traced the squeak to the door rubber beadings. Sprayed some silicon lubricant spray on the area and the squeak disappeared.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 23:26   #173
BHPian

Guys, even I have the dashboard LHS rattle... Silicon lubricant spray works!
trumpcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 16:30   #174
BHPian

Quote:
The Blaupunkt Unit costed me some 46K odd and the DRLs about 60 Euros ~ roughly Rs. 5k.

This is post remap and wider tyre change. Before that it used to give about 15 ~ 16 at similar speeds. I generally get about 11 to 12 kpl on my drives to Belgaum. I won't mention speeds as it will be against forum rules . Curiously with Speed 97 the FE does not improve, only the car feels more powerful and eager compared to regular fuel.
What profiles are your running 225? I found my existing 205/55/16 were great to grip, also comment a bit on the steering feel, Laura has bit more over assisted than the Octy RS.

Best - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 16:57   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
What profiles are your running 225? I found my existing 205/55/16 were great to grip, also comment a bit on the steering feel, Laura has bit more over assisted than the Octy RS.

Best - ML
My present tyres are 225/50/16 Michlein Pilot Sport 3. The stock tyres were 195/65/15, which I changed to 205/55/16 on the day of delivery itself. Ran these for about 43K kms. Am running 225s for the past 6K odd kms.

Though the present tyre is 50 profile, the sidewall height is same as 205/55. The Mich PS3 tyres have tremendous grip and at speed deliver very food feel (something I can't really describe in words). Steering feel has certainly improved after the tyre change. The Laura has EPS whereas your Octy RS has a hydraulic setup which is why the Laura feels a little over assisted at parking speeds. But at higher speeds it stiffens up nicely.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 11:10   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Though the present tyre is 50 profile, the sidewall height is same as 205/55. The Mich PS3 tyres have tremendous grip and at speed deliver very food feel (something I can't really describe in words). Steering feel has certainly improved after the tyre change. The Laura has EPS whereas your Octy RS has a hydraulic setup which is why the Laura feels a little over assisted at parking speeds. But at higher speeds it stiffens up nicely.
I can only imagine the grip the Mich gives you on 225 profile, i have driven the same setup on a Octy RS, fellow member Ardy has them on his Octy RS (Stage II).

How is the Stage 1 mod treating you ? did you contemplate lowering the car ? given you now have a stiffer suspension setup ?

Thanks - ML
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2014, 13:06   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
I can only imagine the grip the Mich gives you on 225 profile, i have driven the same setup on a Octy RS, fellow member Ardy has them on his Octy RS (Stage II).

How is the Stage 1 mod treating you ? did you contemplate lowering the car ? given you now have a stiffer suspension setup ?

Thanks - ML
Yes the grippy tyres and ASR (Anti slip regulation) allows for a very clean launch. But I do know many people who don't want such grippy tyres as they feel it robs them of some sliding and wheel spinning fun .

The stage 1 remap is great if you are looking for performance without sacrificing the everday usability of the car. You don't need bigger turbos and clutch upgrades which can make the car cumbersome in slow city traffic due to higher turbo lag, sudden bursts of acceleration and torque steer. The power delivery is very linear and user friendly. At the same time highway performance is very good and you can push along at busy speeds on the highway all day log without fatigue to man and machine.

As I said before, this is still a family car and lowering it will make it very impractical. I think the current set up hits the sweet spot as far as I am concerned in terms of balance between fun and practicality. Maybe I'll think of lowering + stage 2 upgrades if I can add an SUV to my garage which can take over family duties.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:24   #178
BHPian

@Santosh - lovely choice of upgrades. Your car looks fantastic yet understated with all these mods. I'm tempted to swap the DRL with LEDs as well
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2014, 11:49   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the car back after its fourth service yesterday. Odo reading : 48,700 kms. Last service was around 38,000 kms. The service was once again carried out at Vinayak Cars, Okalipuram centre. Apart from regular service I asked them to change the rear brake pads and also check the health of the battery as it is coming up to 3 years now. The front pads lasted 38k kms and the rears 49k kms. I am pleasantly surprised with the pad life. The rotors too are in top shape look like they will easily last another 20k kms atleast.

Although the service interval was for 15k kms I have decided to reset it to about 12k kms as my car is remapped. The service advisor's first reaction was that I have come in too early for service.

Issues reported : Nil
Just asked him to replace a clip holding the left part of the bumper as it felt a bit loose when pushed by hand.

Felt that the quality of washing could be better. Maybe I should stop comparing it to 3M standards. Also the bumper clip was not fixed despite it being reported. Overall I am quite satisfied with the service. There have been no issues with the car so far, which is why the A.S.S has never been really tested. But overall I am quite happy with the guys over there. They know me and my car pretty well by now and have generally taken good care.

Total bill came about 14K. (including brake pad cost). The wide service interval is a real boon. More so given the location of the service centre. It is in what could be the worst location for a Skoda service centre. The main gate opens into a 20 foot wide road that connects a thickly populated slum area to the city centre. Driving into and out of the centre is nothing short of a nightmare.
Old 23rd January 2014, 13:05   #180
Senior - BHPian

Could you please post the bill with breakup ?

You cannot expect the washing at A.S.S to be perfect. :-)

Last edited by F150 : 23rd January 2014 at 13:06.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote