Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th January 2014, 10:21   #181
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Sweet ride. Has the volume issue (going up instead of going down while reversing in radio mode) in the new HU been fixed? I notice the price in your post. Care to share the details of the dealer who you brought this from and/or had it installed? Any other freebies thrown in? Thanks!
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 13:06   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Sweet ride. Has the volume issue (going up instead of going down while reversing in radio mode) in the new HU been fixed? I notice the price in your post. Care to share the details of the dealer who you brought this from and/or had it installed? Any other freebies thrown in? Thanks!
Nope its not been fixed. I've been too busy to visit the installer to get it done. Its very irritating I tell you. Also the fact that it does not display the parking display automatically when the system is off, is really getting to me. You need to switch the system on, wait for it to boot up and then start moving. I was so used to the display from the stock HU. Navigation and multiple input options are the only gains from the system as far as my usage is concerned.

I contacted Blaupunkt through their facebook page and they recommended the dealer based on my location. They were my point of contact throughout. All my negotiations were with Blaupunkt only. The dealer was only supposed to get his fixed commission and installation charges. The dealer is EB Bass at Kumara Park near Shivananda circle. That reminds me, I need to pick up the bill from him!
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2014, 17:48   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nope its not been fixed. I've been too busy to visit the installer to get it done. Its very irritating I tell you. Also the fact that it does not display the parking display automatically when the system is off, is really getting to me. You need to switch the system on, wait for it to boot up and then start moving. I was so used to the display from the stock HU. Navigation and multiple input options are the only gains from the system as far as my usage is concerned.

I contacted Blaupunkt through their facebook page and they recommended the dealer based on my location. They were my point of contact throughout. All my negotiations were with Blaupunkt only. The dealer was only supposed to get his fixed commission and installation charges. The dealer is EB Bass at Kumara Park near Shivananda circle. That reminds me, I need to pick up the bill from him!
Interesting - there is a new firmware revision apparently out for the 835. Do you want to check to see if it solves some of the niggles. Here is the link to the post in the forum with the details (Link:). I'm interested because I'm tempted by the same HU in a new car I'm considering. Do let me know - thanks!
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014, 09:22   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

I had to go out of town for a day's work yesterday, so decided to take the car instead of the taxi to the airport. The newly opened airport road expressway also influenced me in deciding to take the car. Decided to stick to the 80km/h speed limit and this is what I got.

Name:  IMAG0530.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0531.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  63.5 KB

This is post a remap and on 225 section tyres! The engine can be really miserly if it is driven like this. In fact one can extend the range of the tank by nearly 40% by controlling the urge to floor it and driving sedately. Useful when you are on the highway and know that reliable fuel source is not in the vicinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Interesting - there is a new firmware revision apparently out for the 835. Do you want to check to see if it solves some of the niggles. Here is the link to the post in the forum with the details (Link:). I'm interested because I'm tempted by the same HU in a new car I'm considering. Do let me know - thanks!
Thanks for the link. Will check it out and update.
Santoshbhat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 09:22   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-1.jpg

Well I never imagined this picture will feature in my thread. But it happened.

I needed to pick up some stuff from Sadashivanagar, so started from my Malleswaram office (barely 2kms away), filled up fuel enroute as the fuel level was at 1/4th level, and reached my destination. Parked the car and started back. Just as I moved some 100 meters, all of a sudden I felt the engine losing power. Gave a bit of throttle, no response and the engine just died on me. Felt strange as this never happened in the past 50,000 kms. Cranked her up again, the engine did fire up but soon died within seconds. No lights on the dashboard, just the battery symbol lit up (the one that goes off on ignition). By then I realised I was getting lot of petrol smell in the car. Got down from the car only to see a pool of petrol underneath the car. Then I realised I had left a trail of petrol behind me. The trail was about 30 meters long and at the beginning of the trail, the spot where I first felt power loss, there was a kind a spray mark. As if a pipe had burst.

I decided to call Skoda Roadside assistance number which was saved on my phone. The call went through quickly and the person after taking all my details told me that my 'Roadside assistance' has expired on 1st July 2013, since my car was purchased in July 2011. He then said he could help me with the numbers of Skoda ASCs in Bangalore. I called Vinayak Skoda Okalipuram where my car has been serviced so far and got Mr. Suresh, the service manager on line. He advised me agaisnt starting the car as fuel has leaked and could be potentially dangerous. He asked to get the car towed to his service centre and helped me with the towing service numbers. The towing truck got to my location within 1/2 hr and within another 1/2 hr we were in Vinayak Skoda Okalipuram.

I can only thank my lucky stars that this happened on this day, at this time (non rush hour) and at this location (not crowded). I have just completed a 1,500 km long business trip a couple of days back, where I had to visit all sorts of places. The car performed beautifully as usual. Infact I was supposed to take off again on Monday. I can't imagine my plight if this had happened on one of the choked main roads of Bangalore or on the highway in the middle of nowhere with family especially.

The car is now sitting at Vinayak Skoda. They did not touch the car yesterday as it was late in the evening. The service manager did not give me any clue as to how this could happen. Ony two reasons I can think of is rats chewing up the fuel pipe or the pipe giving up due to age, wear n tear etc... The car is only three years old and driven mostly on the highway at good speed most of the time. Can this kind of usage pattern put more stress on the fuel pipe?

Well I am certainly eager to know what answers the ASC is going to come up with. My dream run had to end, didn't it? Only hope its not the beginning of a trend

The pool of petrol below the car

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-2.jpg

The trail of fuel that I had left behind

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-3.jpg

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-4.jpg
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 10:45   #186
Senior - BHPian

Oh man !, I feel for you santosh.
I hope that it is just a matter of replacing the broken fuel pipe. Dont get disheartened and hope for the best.
When would the ASS be back with the diagnosis ? Finger crossed !
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 11:14   #187
Team-BHP Support

It does not look like any serious problem. I hope it turns out to just some damaged hose or something minor.

Did you check where was fuel leaking from? Tank or some other place?
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 12:01   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It does not look like any serious problem. I hope it turns out to just some damaged hose or something minor.

Did you check where was fuel leaking from? Tank or some other place?
I hope its not a major problem as you say. But such a simple problem can cause a major headache when the car breaks down like this without warning. Luckily I was in the city when it happened and that too on a fairly empty road. I shudder to think what would've happened if I was stranded like this on some arterial Bangalore road during rush hour.

It was not leaking from the tank as the fuel would not leak when the car was stopped in the side. But the moment the key was turned to battery on, fuel was gushing out as if a tap had been opened! I guess the pressure created by the fuel pump was causing the fuel to gush out like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Oh man !, I feel for you santosh.
I hope that it is just a matter of replacing the broken fuel pipe. Dont get disheartened and hope for the best.
When would the ASS be back with the diagnosis ? Finger crossed !
I called the ASC just now. No comments from them as of now. "We are looking into it and will get back to you soon" was the reply I got. Will update as soon as I hear from them.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014, 21:26   #189
BHPian

Default Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspe...

Best of luck buddy. Hope it is nothing major. Do keep us posted.

There has been a recall of the Octavia II for something similar (http://www.recalluk.com/recalls/cars/skoda-octavia-ii-fuel-leak-recall-2012.aspx) but this seems to have affected only common rail diesels. Wonder if the same component is used in the TSi as well

Last edited by Hayek : 8th March 2014 at 21:29.
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2014, 16:05   #190
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

...as to how this could happen. Ony two reasons I can think of is rats chewing up the fuel pipe or the pipe giving up due to age, wear n tear etc... The car is only three years old and driven mostly on the highway at good speed most of the time. Can this kind of usage pattern put more stress on the fuel pipe?
. It was not leaking from the tank as the fuel would not leak when the car was stopped in the side. But the moment the key was turned to battery on, fuel was gushing out as if a tap had been opened! I guess the pressure created by the fuel pump was causing the fuel to gush out like that.
These are some of the probable causes that you could look into:

1. In your long drives, have you hit any hard rock or has the car bottomed out with a thud towards the centre of the car?

2. Did the guys while modifying the suspension accidentally hit or tamper with the fuel lines? The hit may have caused the initial damage / tampering and subsequently that would have gradually increased. Incidentally, from the pics the leak seems to be from the part of the fuel line that is close to the rear suspension .

Since the leak is present only when you switch on the ignition, if you have the car lifted on a ramp, you could locate the leak which would have been (a) the line working loose (b) damage by stones / rock etc (c) tampering of the line (d) corrosion or (e) rats (although this is usually unlikely as the engine has far more palatable stuff)

If the ASC have not yet diagnosed the cause, then it would be better that you have look at the car as above at the earliest to prevent the ASC from giving you any untoward surprises.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 09:15   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

The update I got from the ASC on Sat eve was that a fuel hose had broken which led to the fuel leak. He did not mention anything about rats chewing up anything. When asked for the reason, he said it could be due to 'general wear and tear'. Most unusual, if indeed general wear and tear is the reason since these kind of parts are NOT recommended to be replaced during periodic service.

As expected the particular part is not in stock in either of Vinayak cars' service centres. He said he will try with TAFE on Monday morning, else he will have to get it from Aurangabad. He said he was trying to check if he can subsitute it with a similar sized hose (not the actual part as per the part no.) to which I refused. I can't take any chances with such a critical part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
These are some of the probable causes that you could look into:

1. In your long drives, have you hit any hard rock or has the car bottomed out with a thud towards the centre of the car?
Coming to think of it I did hit a rock towards the centre of the car some 8 months back. It was a fairly big rock that hit the underbody with a thud. I did stop and investigate only to find a scratch on the underbody protection. That could have caused some fuel hose damage. But is it possible that the effect of that would result in failure after so much time and after some 7 to 8,000 kms of driving?

Quote:
2. Did the guys while modifying the suspension accidentally hit or tamper with the fuel lines? The hit may have caused the initial damage / tampering and subsequently that would have gradually increased. Incidentally, from the pics the leak seems to be from the part of the fuel line that is close to the rear suspension .
Very unlikely. The suspension mod was done at 39k kms, almost a year ago. I believe they are quite experienced with Skoda cars. The leak is close to the centre of the car on the vertical axis and almost under the right B pillar.

Quote:
If the ASC have not yet diagnosed the cause, then it would be better that you have look at the car as above at the earliest to prevent the ASC from giving you any untoward surprises.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to pay them a visit today and get some photographs if possible.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th March 2014 at 09:18.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 11:28   #192
Team-BHP Support

Fuel lines and other stuff is nicely tucked away in Laura. AFAIK they also get a plastic protection plate, unless its a bad hit, its unlikely the fuel line would get damaged with minor scrapes.

Please post some photographs.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 12:33   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think fuel hose is a spare part which is supposed to be changed at periodic intervals. [Pls correct me if I am wrong though]

If they can't point out to an exact cause, I think it is Skoda at play here.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 16:47   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting turn of events and I believe the case has been solved!

I had called the designated SA about three times on Saturday. I think he never examined the car on Saturday, being a busy day at office for him. (He was on leave on Friday when I reported my car in.)

After seeing some of your replies and suggestions I decided to check out the car myself today and get a proper explanation and decide on a pukka course of action to solve the problem.

By the time I visited them they had done some work and had identified the problem. The fuel filter in the Laura TSI is placed next to the catalytic convertor, unlike diesels where it is placed elsewhere. I check under a jacked up Laura TDi and that space was vacant in that car. A pipe runs from the fuel tank to this filter, where it is filtered and then supplied to the engine. This pipe had come loose from the filter. There is a black connector kind of thing. They just pushed it back in place.

Now how this pipe could come loose like that was my next question. To which the service manager, who seemed to have his detective hat on, stated very obviously "theft". I was like who would want to steal a Laura TSI's fuel filter??

Its not the filter they are after but fuel. Apparently in quite a few cars pulling out fuel hoses like this gives them access to fuel. Not possible in the Laura as it needs the fuel pump to pump out the fuel from the tank. He said something about the Laura having two fuel pumps, though I am not sure about this. THis is the reason why fuel was not dripping when the car was stationery with ingnition off. The moment I turned the key to battery on, the fuel pump would get started and fuel would gush out.

I tried to analyse alternate theories. What if the fuel filter was choked and fuel was unable to pass? the pipe might have given way due to excess pressure. THis was ruled out as the filter was changed in January and hence new.

Now the decision is to put the connector back in place and observe. "If it happens again we can order a new pipe with connector and we can fix it". Now that is disturbing, can I take that chance? What if it happens again? The problem is if its going to happen again it will happen without warning. More than the thought of being stranded I am worried about the safety part. Inflamable petrol will start gushing out and can be hazardous. What if it happens when I am overtaking a vehicle on the highway? Sudden loss of power at such moments can be disastrous.

They say even a new part will have to be fixed in exactly the same manner. They say that they are going to tie another tag around the connector to hold it in place. I have accepted this course of action for now and will be collecting the car in the evening. I will drive it around Bangalore for some days before venturing out on the highway. Any other suggestions are most welcome.

The reasons why I believe the attempted theft theory is...
  1. My car was parked for the past two nights outside our house on the public road. I normally always park it inside. I somehow got lazy and left the car outside. The car was due for a 3M wash as it was back from a 1,500 kms trip two days back. Since it was so dirty I did not bother to park it inside. Otherwise I surely would not have left it there.
  2. If the connector was loose it would have surely given way on the highway, as it was driven at high speeds, with lots of rapid acceleration, high throttle input, continuous throttle input while cruising etc...
  3. This the was the first drive after the two nights outside parking and it happened within 6 kms of driving that too at crawling 1st gear, 2nd gear speeds.

The connector and fuel filter are well protected and not vulnerable to underbody hits.

The circled part had come loose
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-20140310_143831.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-20140310_144337.jpg  

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th March 2014 at 17:08.
Santoshbhat is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 01:54   #195
Senior - BHPian

The fuel theif has to be a specialist to reach this spot and to spot the tube in pitch dark.

That said, pretty happy to note that the issue has been resolved. You dodged a bullet Santosh.

Good Luck - Happy Driving - Drive Safe !!
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote