Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th March 2014, 04:30   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Just bumped into your thread and saw your last post on the Fuel pipe issue. Wanted to share my 2 cents.

I absolutely buy the fuel theft theory. A loose connector theory seems unlikely, but could be too.

I had an issue (The Green Bolt - Chevrolet Beat LT Petrol (2011) - Long Term Ownership Report) in my Chevy Beat Petrol, where the Fuel meter was showing zero and the car won't start, although I had almost a tankful of petrol.
After a lot of silly antics (filling 2 litres of petrol via Bisleri bottles and shaking the car violently) to get the car started failed, I called Chevy road assistance (i was not at road, but office parking lot). Their diagnosis led to chewed up fuel pump wiring, by rats.

Nevertheless, I asked the Chevy mechanic, a silly but now seems relevant question.
I asked him, "Can someone steal fuel from my car ?" His response was, "Never". All modern cars, come equipped with Fuel pump, which "pumps" fuel into the engine, only when the car is ON (not just ignition).
In petrol cars, there is a whistling sound that comes when the ignition is switched ON (car still off). This whistling noise is a check whether the fuel pump is receiving electrical signals to start pumping fuel.

Now coming back to the issue in you car, it is very much likely that some dumb thief thought that just pulling a pipe would get him access to petrol in the car. The fuel is pumped only when you start the car, so he must have been trolled and left the scene.
If the connector came loose on its own, then it is a cause of worry. As of now the connector has been tagged so that it doesn't come off loose, but what is a permanent solution to not coming off loose again ? Please make sure this point is taken seriously by the service advisor.

If some dumb thief pulled it out, then we don't have a choice, do we ?
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 07:53   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI. *Update* 200 BHP and Bilstein Suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Very interesting turn of events and I believe the case has been solved!
Glad to read that Santosh.

If someone had trying pulling the wire out there would have been some marks left on the pipe as all under-body parts get dirty. Any such observation from the service fellows?

And obviously the Laura didn't like it being left outside the house. Don't think you will repeat that now.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 08:45   #198
BANNED

Looks like your visit helped change the diagnosis from

Quote:
a fuel hose had broken
requiring ordering of parts and waiting for quite some time without the car

to

Quote:
pipe had come loose from the filter

The earlier remark made by the ASC that "We are looking into it and will get back to you soon" is also an indication of them fooling around as just lifting up the car on the ramp and a 2 minute inspection would have shown them that the connector was loose.

Quote:
Now the decision is to put the connector back in place and observe. "If it happens again we can order a new pipe with connector and we can fix it". Now that is disturbing, can I take that chance? What if it happens again? The problem is if its going to happen again it will happen without warning.
Not to worry on this score as the connector has a certain level of in-built elasticity to handle several removal and replacements of filters. Unless the protagonist in this story used some hard tools to pry open the connector from the filter damaging it which doesn't seem to be the case from the pics.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 09:55   #199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I tried to analyse alternate theories. What if the fuel filter was choked and fuel was unable to pass? the pipe might have given way due to excess pressure. THis was ruled out as the filter was changed in January and hence new
Even though you have done a highway drive after the service I would not rule out the possibility of fuel filter not been fitted correctly at the time of service.

Probability of theft is far lesser than the pipe coming loose from the fuel filter that was replaced only a few weeks prior due to incorrect fitting.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 08:06   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Glad to read that Santosh.

If someone had trying pulling the wire out there would have been some marks left on the pipe as all under-body parts get dirty. Any such observation from the service fellows?

And obviously the Laura didn't like it being left outside the house. Don't think you will repeat that now.
No such marks on the pipe or around the area. The fuel filter and the connection is on the right underbody of the car. When parked, this side was facing the road. This is also one reason why I buy the theft theory as this side was accesible. If it was the other way round it is virtually impossible to access unless the thief was really determined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Looks like your visit helped change the diagnosis from
My visit certainly changed things. They did not touch my car on Saturday. Since I had called him three times, he just came up with a very likely explaination on Saturday evening. On Monday I landed up without notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just bumped into your thread and saw your last post on the Fuel pipe issue. Wanted to share my 2 cents.

I absolutely buy the fuel theft theory. A loose connector theory seems unlikely, but could be too.
I also found it hard to believe that the thief could be smart enough to locate the fuel filter and remove the pipe to steal petrol, but dub enough to not know that modern cars like these have fuel pumps without which there is no flow of fuel. Infact I tried a lot to analyse other possible reasons. But the fact that it came off within a very short city drive after two nights of outside parking and did not fall off during a 1,500 kms drive on four lane highways + bad rural roads etc.... makes me believe it was tampered with when parked outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even though you have done a highway drive after the service I would not rule out the possibility of fuel filter not been fitted correctly at the time of service.

Probability of theft is far lesser than the pipe coming loose from the fuel filter that was replaced only a few weeks prior due to incorrect fitting.
That's entirely possible. I told them to replace the fuel filter just to be safe if it was not done during last service, thinking it could be choked which could have led to increased pressure on the inlet side and thus causing the pipe to slip off. They checked the history and told me it was replaced in he last service in February, which incidentally was just before the long drive.

But still I have to say I am very happy with Vinayak Skoda. I have had good experiences each time I've visited them for service. I have built up a good rapport with them and my car is kind of well know to all of them. They did not charge me a single rupee this time and even gave my car a complimentary wash. Not very becoming of Skoda eh?

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th March 2014 at 08:07.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 09:12   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My visit certainly changed things. They did not touch my car on Saturday. Since I had called him three times, he just came up with a very likely explanation on Saturday evening. On Monday I landed up without notice.
Dont you think this is something all SKODA owners should do ?

Quote:
But still I have to say I am very happy with Vinayak Skoda. I have had good experiences each time I've visited them for service. I have built up a good rapport with them and my car is kind of well know to all of them. They did not charge me a single rupee this time and even gave my car a complimentary wash. Not very becoming of Skoda eh?
I think, they know that it was goof up during service and that must be the reason why you are not charged. In the end every story needs a happy ending and you are happy with Vinayak Skoda and they are pretty happy to provide good service.

Lucky Bangalore guys, they have a good SKODA dealer.
F150 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 09:29   #202
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Dont you think this is something all SKODA owners should do ?
I am of the opinion that you should be at the ASC whenever your car goes for service, Skoda or not. Chances of parts needing replacement & things going kaput is much reduced. Also, phone calls like - Sir, your certain part costing 7,xxx needs to be changed, can we go ahead?

Or if you have a driver and is honest, he can very well stick around and do that job. But try to be there or if the office/home is nearby, make sure they know that you can pop around anytime. Should help.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 09:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

I agree with you that it is a practice that should be followed by all car owners, but the the notorious reputation of skoda dealers combined with high costs of skoda parts and spares, it is of utmost importance to SKODA owners.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 10:51   #204
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this was a (failed) fuel theft attempt. As Vidyut said, they may have not installed the fuel filter correctly (fitted it a little loose and it gave way after some running, etc). And I think if you had not visited them, they may have replaced all parts in your car one after the other.

The problem with Skoda service is - they keep the owner's expectations so low to start with, that in the end the owner leaves the place happily (without bothering to distinguish between relief and happiness)

There is this another thread about a Yeti. The owner (possibly) filled in poor quality diesel, left the car at the Skoda service center for months, negotiated "a release" bringing down the ransom from 4.5L to 30K and then reported on the forum that he is extremely happy with the Skoda service! I am dumbstruck to see that Skoda made him pay 30,000 rupees for an alleged incident of filling in bad diesel and he is happy about it.

In this case of yours, I am really relieved and glad that it's a minor problem and you got the car back before they could cause further damage (to the car and your pocket). You know why the Skoda service guy instantly came up with "theft" as the first and prominent reason? "theft" is all that they themselves are thinking about all the time...

P.S. Please delete that photo of your laura on the flat-bed truck. It hurts.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 12th March 2014 at 10:55.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014, 11:20   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am not sure if this was a (failed) fuel theft attempt. As Vidyut said, they may have not installed the fuel filter correctly (fitted it a little loose and it gave way after some running, etc). And I think if you had not visited them, they may have replaced all parts in your car one after the other.

The problem with Skoda service is - they keep the owner's expectations so low to start with, that in the end the owner leaves the place happily (without bothering to distinguish between relief and happiness)

There is this another thread about a Yeti. The owner (possibly) filled in poor quality diesel, left the car at the Skoda service center for months, negotiated "a release" bringing down the ransom from 4.5L to 30K and then reported on the forum that he is extremely happy with the Skoda service! I am dumbstruck to see that Skoda made him pay 30,000 rupees for an alleged incident of filling in bad diesel and he is happy about it.

In this case of yours, I am really relieved and glad that it's a minor problem and you got the car back before they could cause further damage (to the car and your pocket). You know why the Skoda service guy instantly came up with "theft" as the first and prominent reason? "theft" is all that they themselves are thinking about all the time...

P.S. Please delete that photo of your laura on the flat-bed truck. It hurts.
Ha ha I know what you mean! But my statement was not just with regard to this incident but my overall experience in the past three years and 50k kms.

To start with I am thrilled with the product and it has exceeded my expectations on all fronts. Its when the product fails, that all the headache starts. The service center where I've got my car serviced is a new one which was started by Vinayak cars at around the same time when my car went in for first service. Being new they were zealous and had a good service attitude towards the customer. From having to wait at crowded Toyota and Hyundai service centers it was a refreshing change to see that all the staff working on just my car and being attended to immediately. Of course they handle more cars now but the good rapport that I enjoy ensures that I still get good attention.

Overall I find the attitude of all service centers pretty similar. We've had Marutis, Hyundais and Toyotas in our garage. If anything my experience with Skoda has been the best of the lot!
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 02:29   #206
BHPian

Hi Santoshbhat

I just read the complete thread. Laura has always been my favorite car. I also want to buy it as my next car. my monthly running is approx 4K Kms. And its obvious that i need a TDI but i can not resist the performance part of a TSI and at the end of the day i want to have both in my garage. A TDI for daily run and an RS for the weekend fun (which i know will never going to happen) :(.

I have a question for you. As now sun films are not allowed legally. Have you removed the Vkools or they are still on the car ?

nIk
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 10:30   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi Santoshbhat

I just read the complete thread. Laura has always been my favorite car. I also want to buy it as my next car. my monthly running is approx 4K Kms. And its obvious that i need a TDI but i can not resist the performance part of a TSI and at the end of the day i want to have both in my garage. A TDI for daily run and an RS for the weekend fun (which i know will never going to happen) :(.

I have a question for you. As now sun films are not allowed legally. Have you removed the Vkools or they are still on the car ?

nIk
I have a 2011 TSI with Vkool 70% on the windshield and 90% on the sides and rear. Not removed the tints yet and don't plan in removing them. Way too expensive and effective for me to tear it down.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 09:49   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

3 years and 54,500 kms completed!

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3880.jpg

The car will complete 3 years this May. 54,500 kms crunched in these last three years. What fun its been!

I will just put down some highights of my three years of ownership
  • The car has exceeded my expectations in all aspects, be it reliability, ease of ownership or sheer quality of the product
  • Since I have not had any trouble with the car, delaing with Skoda A.S.S. has been a pleasure for routine service and one minor issue that I had.
  • Two major modifications were done at around 39K kms i.e the remap and suspension upgrade. Both have truly upped the already good fun to drive quotient of the car without any downsides.
  • Average fuel economy : 8 ~ 9kmpl city, 11.50 ~ 12.50 kmpl highway. THese are post remap figures. For pre remap you can add 0.5 kmpl to these figures.
  • The car has undergone four services so far. Each service has costed me about 11K on an average.
  • Front brake pads were changed at 35k kms and rears at 48k kms. Discs still going strong.
  • Stock 15" Goodyear tyres were swapped for 16" Michelin PLCs on day one. These PLCs lasted me about 43k kms. PLCs were replaced by 225 section Michelin PS3s along with an alloy wheel change to Matt black Borbets.
  • I recenlty chaged the Audio Head Unit to the VAG specific Blaupunkt Philadelhia.
  • I had a flat bed truck moment a few months ago when fuel started leaking after the fuel filter connecting hose came loose and left me stranded on the road. Skoda A.S.S believes it was a failed attempt to steal fuel. I am inclined to believe that the hose was not connected properly after a fuel filter change during service. Anyway all's well that ends well.

After three years of ownership I will once again list out my likes and dislikes

• Fantastic quality levels inside out. Nothing feels cheap.
  • Engine performance, refinement and efficiency.
  • Very comfortable front seats and good ergonomics.
  • Brilliant AC performance. This has really surprised me as a lot of other Skoda owners seem to consider this a weak link.
  • Fantastic ride and handling balance. After the Bilstein upgrade this got even better. Even the ride does not seem harsh now.
  • Vey good confident braking. With the help from the grippy PS3s the car can really shed speed very quickly.
  • 6 speed gear box is super slick and the ratios are spot on too. Tall 6th gear is great for cruising on the highway and helps efficiency too. At 140 kph you can't even hear the engine.
  • The huge boot with hatch like opening.
  • Ground clearance. It rarely scrapes its underbelly even when fully loaded.
  • Reliability. Nothing has failed so far.

Dislikes
  • Bare on features. Sometimes I wish it had some creature comforts like Sunroof, cruise control, powered seats, steering mounted audio controls, front parking sensors etc....
  • Not very slow speed friendly. Driving in crawling traffic can be a pain and requires a lot of clutch input and can be tiresome. Inexperienced drivers will burn the clutch for sure. If I had to drive this car daily in traffic for 1 hour plus I would be seriously considering a change to an AT car. My usage has been 80% highway and 20% city.
  • Rear seat comfort. Fifth passenger is a no no. Even with just 4 on board, rear seat is not the place to be.
  • Petrol costs. Yes it hurts when your running is so high.

The Michelin PS3 have completed about 12K kms. These are simply the best tyres I have used. Brilliant grip be it wet or dry, almost as silent as the PS3s and good ride comfort as well. The wear rate also seems good. The best part about these tyres is the brilliant feel they deliver at high speeds. Something I can't put down in words, It just feels great! No punctures or any such issues, touchwood. I am generally careful with the car and tyres. I do drive on bad roads quite often, but I like to watch where I am putting my tyres. I also keep a close watch on tyre pressures.

Got 3M paint sealant and Interior trim cleaning done at 3M, RMV II Stage yesterday. The car feels as fresh as it was on the day I collected the keys from the showroom.

Just couldn't resist clicking some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3884.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3887.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3888.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3890.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3897.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3900.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3902.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3904.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3907.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3909.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-img_3912.jpg  

Santoshbhat is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 10:11   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely! Happy to see the anniversary update. And you have taken good care of the Laura. Amazing to see those light colored interior bits kept so clean.

Enjoy many more miles on the TSI.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 17:02   #210
BHPian

Santosh, just a quick question. Where did you get the error free white DRLs? I have the DRLs activated on my TDi, but dont really like the look of the yellow bulbs and have been wanting to change them, but without any luck! Need your help with this!

Also, does the extra steering grip help? What i mean to state is doesnt the steering feel too thick? I feel that the stock steering grip of the Laura is absolutely spot on!

Congrats on 3 lovely years with the beast!

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is online now   Reply With Quote