Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th July 2014, 09:29   #226
BHPian

What do you suggest us the ideal mileage or time at which spark pkugs should be cleaned/replaced? I plan oj maintaining the car every 12500 so kms instead of 15000 kms. Do you have the K&N filter installed? I am thinking to get it today for the Octy.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 09:56   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 3 years, 55000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
What do you suggest us the ideal mileage or time at which spark pkugs should be cleaned/replaced? I plan oj maintaining the car every 12500 so kms instead of 15000 kms. Do you have the K&N filter installed? I am thinking to get it today for the Octy.
The recommended interval for Spark Plug replacement is every 30,000 kms. I had replaced spark plugs at around 40,000 kms for the 1st time and now at 62,000 kms for the second time.

I remapped my car when it had completed 39,000 kms and just after the remap I experienced a slight jerky acceleration when accelerating from 2,700 rpm to 4,000 rpm on wide throttle input. When I reported this during service they recommended spark replacement as the remedy. After the spark plug replacement it did go away for quite a while, almost 10 to 15,000 kms. But offlate every once in while it comes back esp when I fill up petrol outside Bangalore. In Bangalore I use shell exclusively. Apparently this is common with remapped 1.8 TSI's. The remap probably makes it more sensitive to fuel quality. With new spark plugs the car feels a lot smoother, so I asked him to replace it even though the SA wanted to just clean it. You can ask them to clean the spark plugs during every service and go for new spark plugs every alternate service.

No I don't have K&N filter. I am using just the stock air filter. The oil used for cleaning the filter can mess up your MAF sensor, so be careful. My suggestion is to stick to with the stock air filter as yours is a new car. I don't think the gains are worth the risk. If you replace the air filter, you are sure to lose your warranty on all engine related issues.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 13:47   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The recommended interval for Spark Plug replacement is every 30,000 kms. I had replaced spark plugs at around 40,000 kms for the 1st time and now at 62,000 kms for the second time.

I remapped my car when it had completed 39,000 kms and just after the remap I experienced a slight jerky acceleration when accelerating from 2,700 rpm to 4,000 rpm on wide throttle input. When I reported this during service they recommended spark replacement as the remedy. After the spark plug replacement it did go away for quite a while, almost 10 to 15,000 kms. But offlate every once in while it comes back esp when I fill up petrol outside Bangalore. In Bangalore I use shell exclusively. Apparently this is common with remapped 1.8 TSI's. The remap probably makes it more sensitive to fuel quality. With new spark plugs the car feels a lot smoother, so I asked him to replace it even though the SA wanted to just clean it. You can ask them to clean the spark plugs during every service and go for new spark plugs every alternate service.

No I don't have K&N filter. I am using just the stock air filter. The oil used for cleaning the filter can mess up your MAF sensor, so be careful. My suggestion is to stick to with the stock air filter as yours is a new car. I don't think the gains are worth the risk. If you replace the air filter, you are sure to lose your warranty on all engine related issues.
Just the itch of K&N cos i had it in all past cars even the Laura. Warranty wont void because the service staff is so talented(not) they cant notice anything I do with the car. But still taking ur advise I shall stick to the stock filter. Should get it changed every 15k kms?
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 14:35   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 3 years, 55000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Just the itch of K&N cos i had it in all past cars even the Laura. Warranty wont void because the service staff is so talented(not) they cant notice anything I do with the car. But still taking ur advise I shall stick to the stock filter. Should get it changed every 15k kms?
They change the air filter every 30,000 kms, which I don't think is necessary but I've just followed the recommended schedule anyway. I am on my third air filter. Last one was changed in the recently completed service. Cost : Rs. 725/-
Old 17th February 2015, 21:49   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up

70,000 km update

Updating this thread after quite some time. There's nothing much to report really as the car has been performing fine as usual. My running has come down a bit in the past few months after a Polo GT TSI was added to my garage. The Laura had been relegated to exclusive highway duty even before the Polo's arrival, but now even for short trips in and around Bangalore, like Hosur and Tumkur I prefer the Polo to the Laura due to the convenience of the DSG.

This car is a real highway star. The brilliant engine + good driving dynamics makes every drive enjoyable. Its also good with family duties when carrying a full load of 4 adults + luggage for those outings. There's never any shortage of power, whatever the load. The humongous boot has totally spoilt my family. They just want to pack the whole house with them! Ground clearance is never an issue even with a full load. That's one other advantage of the bilstein dampers. Even when the car is loaded, the rear does not squat as much and the car feels 'light'.

The car has aged very well and its hard to believe that its completed 70000 kms. The engine, clutch etc.. feel exactly the way they did on day one. No rattles and squeaks and wear signs on the interiors as well. Its been 100% driven by me and mostly on the highway. Although I go easy on bad roads, I do like to drive fast on good highways and certainly don't baby the car around.

My extended warranty expires in May this year. I've not made a single warranty claim yet and hope that it remains that way. A small issue cropped up a few months back which I posted in the Laura problems thread I highlighted this issue during the recently completed 7.5k km half yearly general inspection. Its a very faint whine and not easily identifiable. Since these guys service so many diesel cars, the service advisor just laughed it way, saying its the engine turning over and it can't get quieter than this. Anyway, I made them check the serpentine belt as the sound seemed to be originating from the left side of the engine bay. They removed the belt, inspected it, refitted it and came back to me saying that its perfectly fine. The service advisor says its the alternator bearings that's making the noise. "Nothing major saar". Another small issue is that the white backlight for the tachometer needle has gone kaput just recently. Tacho visibility at night has gone for a toss as a result. The only fix is to replace the cluster which is not worth the expense. Don't know if cluster staging has anything to do with it. All those full 270 degree sweeps on every start up.

The smaller details
  • Front brake pads were changed once again at 70,000 kms. The first set lasted 34,000 kms. Pretty happy with pad life. Discs still look good after 70k kms! Rear pads changed at 48K kms.
  • Still running on original wiper set!
  • I proactively changed my battery after 3 years 9 months to Amaron (74 Ah) to avoid any hardships on outstation trips.
  • Got white LED cabin lights and number plate lights from Superskoda
  • The Michelin PS3s are close to the end of their service life after 27,000 kms. I will squeeze out another 2,000 kms max I suppose before I shop for a new set. While these tyres wore out faster than the Primacy LCs (43,000 kms), the grip, performance and the driving feel is on a different level altogether. Post 20,000 kms the wear accelerated, the rubber hardened up and the ride's been a bit harsh. Maybe I am spoilt by the Polo's soft ride. These problems notwithstanding, I hope I can get hold of another set of these PS3s.
  • The borbet alloys have withstood the test time. I think its time to let go of the original 16" Skoda alloys. I'll soon put them up for sale in the classified section.
  • Mileage hovers around 9kpl in the city and about 11 to 12 kpl during those fast drives on NH4. I think the mileage is back up to what it was before the remap. 13 to 14 is still easily achievable if one is in the mood to cruise
Santoshbhat is online now   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2015, 12:36   #231
BHPian

Default Re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up

Hi Santosh,

Have to admit that its a very detailed ownership report . Best part was you updating it for almost every delta, and after a while it was more of like reading a semi biography of your car. Nice and very assuring( for new customers of Skoda) to know that it have been a hassle free ownership. I guess your experience with Skoda would have helped in opting for another Volkswagen group car in family.

Regards
Harish
hrsraghav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2015, 23:17   #232
BHPian

Default Re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up

Quote:
70,000 km update

My extended warranty expires in May this year. I've not made a single warranty claim yet and hope that it remains that way. A small issue cropped up a few months back which I posted in the Laura problems thread I highlighted this issue during the recently completed 7.5k km half yearly general inspection. Its a very faint whine and not easily identifiable. Since these guys service so many diesel cars, the service advisor just laughed it way, saying its the engine turning over and it can't get quieter than this. Anyway, I made them check the serpentine belt as the sound seemed to be originating from the left side of the engine bay. They removed the belt, inspected it, refitted it and came back to me saying that its perfectly fine. The service advisor says its the alternator bearings that's making the noise. "Nothing major saar".
Hi Santhosh,

I had the same problem with the metallic whining noise till a year back on the vRS. They initially said the problem was with the alternator bearing, and my alternator was replaced under warranty (this was in late 2014, vehicle under normal warranty ;the part reached only after a month), but vehicle wasn't off-road. The noise was very faint and peculiar and you would notice only if you have spent a whole lot of time driving the car. Unfortunately this meant neither my dad or my brother was able to understand this noise nor confirm whether it was fixed after replacing the alternator. I was at that time working in Chennai, while vRS was in Calicut. It was three months later that I got to drive her and noticed the noise was still there.

I again took it up with the service center. Though initially the response from the service center was of nothing being abnormal, and even with an assurance from Mr.Peter Chacko of Pete's himself (I drove to Cochin to have an appointment with him and have their experts themselves check it), whining noise started to increase a bit. The noise was prominent only after 2000-2100 rpm and was also during long drives. Though everyone assured it was fine, it just wasn't right. Resorted to writing to Skoda customer care along with the video recordings. This time the service manager also accepted the whining sound to be abnormal, they took recordings by themselves. They were advised to replace the idler (I'm not sure which one or how many idlers are there for the TSI). Then it came down to claiming under extender warranty or not. The part wasn't that expensive (around Rs.5000) unlike the alternator replaced before (under warranty), so we paid upfront and agreed to the dealer's suggestion of refund if claim under EW was accepted. The idler was replaced and the whining noise has never appeared. The part was later claimed under extended warranty too. A pleasant experience in the end. All this was in mid 2014.

Cheers,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2015, 23:27   #233
BHPian

Quote:
70,000 km update Updating this thread after quite some time. .........Another small issue is that the white backlight for the tachometer needle has gone kaput just recently. Tacho visibility at night has gone for a toss as a result. The only fix is to replace the cluster which is not worth the expense. Don't know if cluster staging has anything to do with it. All those full 270 degree sweeps on every start up. 70ng
I was wondering if you have tried claiming this under extended warranty. Last week, my Superb's fuel level display started malfunctioning; in the middle of the drive it will move to zero level. The fault was identified as one of the fuel sensors and the same was replaced free of cost under extended warranty. Got some benefit of taking the extended warranty - saved around Rs 8K -.
Quatro is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:35   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a check engine light a few weeks back when I was returning to Bangalore. I was close to Hubli when I saw the light. Pulled over and popped the hood and found rat poop in the engine bay. I had parked the car by the roadside the previous night. I had the VCDS cable and my laptop with me, so did a quick scan to find that its a MAF sensor error. I called SA at Vinayak who told me that its OK to drive the car to Bangalore and get it checked in Bangalore itself. Getting appointment with Vinayak cars service centres is a royal pain. I took appointments and cancelled three times. They don't give appointment on short notice and give slots a week ahead. Each time something or the other came up and I had to cancel.

Anyway I got it fixed this week. As suspected rats had chewed up the cable carrying the MAF sensor signals. Took an hour or so for Vinayak guys to do the scan first and then identify the point of cut and solder the wires. They charged me almost 1,300 in all for this simple job which included Rs. 500 as 'scanning charges'.

Any suggestions to keep rats away are most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Hi Santhosh,

I had the same problem with the metallic whining noise till a year back on the vRS.
Hi Avinash. I made an interesting discovery just recently. After my car was serviced, this faint whining noise had subsided and almost gone. I had asked them to check the accessory belt. They said they unmounted the belt and refitted and sprayed some liquid etc... I thought this had worked.

But this week the same sound came up again and it was odd that it came on in the evening when it was not there throughout the day. The AC thermostat was set at about 10 O clock position as it was evening and it wasn't that hot. During the day it was set at max cooling position. I moved the thermostat to max cool and the sound disappeared! I again set it to 10 O clock position and there is the sound again!! As I had mentioned earlier the sound was present only when AC was on. As soon as I switched off the AC the sound always disappeared. Now I have discovered that the sound is present only when the AC thermostat is set for low cooling position. At max cooling position the whine simply disappears. So its definitely not alternator bearings in my case and something to do with the AC. I hope the compressor is not on its last days as my warranty is about to expire in a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
I was wondering if you have tried claiming this under extended warranty. Last week, my Superb's fuel level display started malfunctioning; in the middle of the drive it will move to zero level. The fault was identified as one of the fuel sensors and the same was replaced free of cost under extended warranty. Got some benefit of taking the extended warranty - saved around Rs 8K -.
I thought of this, but decided against it as I am really not comfortable with these careless Skoda technicians opening up the dash and cluster. I have decided to live with the unlit tacho needle as I rarely do long night drives. I would hate it if these guys fixed the problem but gave me a rattle free of cost in the process. My car is nice and tight as of now
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:41   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But this week the same sound came up again and it was odd that it came on in the evening when it was not there throughout the day. The AC thermostat was set at about 10 O clock position as it was evening and it wasn't that hot. During the day it was set at max cooling position. I moved the thermostat to max cool and the sound disappeared! I again set it to 10 O clock position and there is the sound again!! As I had mentioned earlier the sound was present only when AC was on. As soon as I switched off the AC the sound always disappeared. Now I have discovered that the sound is present only when the AC thermostat is set for low cooling position. At max cooling position the whine simply disappears. So its definitely not alternator bearings in my case and something to do with the AC. I hope the compressor is not on its last days as my warranty is about to expire in a month.
My vRS had the same noise from the day of delivery. I got it fixed about a month or 2 later, I don't remember what they did though. Since then it never showed up, but seems to be coming back now. Will get it check out when the car goes for service in 10 days. I don't think its got to do with the compressor being on its last legs.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015, 19:01   #236
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Santhosh, the noise in your case may be different i guess. For me, the whine used to start after 2000-2100 rpm, becoming sharper as the revs built up. This happened in every gear and during idle also. Rather than the thermostat setting, I do remember by changing AC On/off position, the sound did change a bit (maybe the idler which was finally replaced was part of the auxilliary belt and compressor engaging/disengaging changing the load on it). But the whine was there above the said rpm irrespective of AC settings and annoying each time when you just try to give it some beans. Since the rpm almost matched with the range where turbo boost really builds up, my first concerns were of turbo issue but that was quickly ruled out by Skoda as well as during checks with Pete's.

If the windows or sunroof was slightly open or with stereo audio at a slightly higher level, the whine used to become inaudible. End of the day it wasn't a problem to worry about technically, but was making the driving unpleasant, but all sorted at the end

Cheers,
Avinash
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 20:08   #237
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Power - My Silver Skoda Laura TSI *Update* 30,000 kms & 2nd service comple

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st June 2015 at 09:19.
MrIncredible is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 31st May 2015, 21:51   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Default 4 years , 75,000 kms update

Another year goes by and my Laura completes its 4th year with us. What a wonderful 4 years of motoring it has been!! At about Rs. 16L on road she has delivered thrills that cars costing twice as much probably wouldn't have done.

At around 2 years and 39,000 kms, I went ahead and got some of the smallest of mods possible on this car i.e a stage 1 remap, Bilstein B6 suspension and wider alloys and tyres. These little upgrades have been so satisfying that I did not opt for further upgrades because the car is just so perfect for my usage right now. I shuttle between two towns that are 500 kms apart. This car has brought the towns closer .

The Bilsteins and the wide grippy PS3s have allowed me to exploit the full potential of the explosive 1.8 TSI engine. Its easy to underestimate this little 1.8L, as many 'big car' drivers have found out.

The icing on the cake has to be the fuel efficiency. I've hardly ever seen single digit FE numbers on the highway, no matter how hard I drove. I am no mileage fan, but when you end up doing almost 20K kms a year, it makes a difference if your 200 bhp car averages 11 kmpl overall Vs. 8 kmpl.

I am now out extended warranty coverage period which probably went out the window when I got those upgrades. Anyhow, I've enjoyed Japanese car levels of reliability and I have only good things to say about my experience with Skoda A.S.S. My overall cost of ownership also is well below par for the segment. Mainly due to the of high highway usage pattern and general good practices followed.

At times I rue the fact that the car misses out on some features like ACC, steering mounted controls and safety features like curtain air bags and ESC. Also I wish the rear seats were a bit more luxurious. Of course you can't have it all!

Fast petrol cars with manual transmission have become a dying breed. I am glad I caught hold of one and am able to enjoy it while I can. This may well be the last manual transmission car that I may own as the AT bug has got me as well.

As has been the norm, I got another paint sealant treatment done at 3M on completion of another year. Attaching a few recent pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-001.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-002.jpg  

Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up-003.jpg  

Santoshbhat is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2015, 12:53   #239

A truly brilliant thread there Santosh! Kudos on keeping that car gleaming even after 4 years.

I have a Laura too, albeit a TDi. Could you please PM me your number? I would love to experience the petrol Laura as I've never got a chance to do that.

I've heard legends about that petrol engine and man do I envy you!
cruze'ader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2015, 18:44   #240
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Silver Skoda Laura TSI, 200 BHP & Bilstein Suspension. UPDATE: 70,000 kms up

Hi Santosh,

Congrats on completing 4 years of dream ownership!

Thanks for the updates. I would have gone through your thread more than a couple of times. Every time I go through the mods, I get really tempted.
Chethan B G is offline   Reply With Quote