Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th July 2011, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Default Hyundai i20

Mumbai roads - wow one could go on and on and on ranting about them.

We have our autowalas who squeeze the life out of their rides but still wont leave the fast lane. I mean guys, what would you do if you if you see the couple in your back seat getting cozy. Its an involuntary flex of muscle.. the ones in the your wrist.

Then we have our BEST buses, guys seriously, I think they are doing a marvelous job connecting people, better than Nokia at least. I can imagine their plight driving those mammoths through our city. Nevertheless, by the end the day, boy do I wanna strangle a few of them !!

Not to forget the 'yellow number plates' Indicas. Look out Sebastian Vettel, we have Tukaram and Rajkumar eyeing your number one spot.

As I said, it is so easy to go on and on so I'll get to the point.

This is about 27 months and 27K odd kms on these roads in my Hyundai i20 (P).

May 2009 - We've been looking around for a new vehicle since a month now. Ideally we should buy a six seater, well we're six in the family but there was this moment of complete insanity and obvious lack of reason when we decided to buy a hatchback to use with our Fiesta,now classic (wow five years old and already a classic).

I tried my best convincing them to buy an oil burner but we bought the i20 Asta (P) cuz bade bhaiya had absolutely loved it. Well that was another story of another day with five showrooms. My only say in the matter was to buy the Asta over the Magna. At an extra 90K we were getting alot more sensible equipment like ABS, airbags, climate control, steering mounted audio controls, alloy wheels etc.

I do believe that dealerships in the island city are better than the suburbs in terms of service and basic etiquettes. I have experienced this one too many times. Yet again, we had an extended moment of insanity and lack of reason and we bought our car from Modi Hyundai, Thane.

Delivery day - We're waiting for our car, ready with all the puja stuff, super excited and there she comes in 'toothpaste white' .. huh .. well that was my wife's take on the colour and the look on bade bhaiya's face was a killer

All seemed to be going well when we noticed a small mark on the bonnet. I could hear the alarm bells going off in my head. It reminded of my engine room complete with a siren and the rotating lights. The sales person was quick on his feet and he got a guy with his buffing machine.
"Sir its just mud. i'll get it cleaned"
"Of course it is mud and I'm Bill Clinton, gotta finish this before Monica comes". ummm okay..no pun intended.

On closer inspection it turned out be a cluster of small scratches with one deep enough to classify as chipped paint. Damn this was bad and boy were we pissed. Anyways, we refused to take delivery of the car which made the showroom manager to come and 'sort' the matter. Guys believe me what he said next was a killer.

"Sir its a minor scratch, maybe some gravel damage. Not a big deal."

Now, have you guys seen those 303 enfield rifles which need to be reloaded after each round. It was something like that.. I could feel the bolt action in my head ..thakk.. thakkaakk.. thakkkk..

doN'T DO THIS DUDE.. DON'T SAY ANYTHING STUPID.. all izz well.. all izz well.. all izz well...

"You should not worry over this.This would anyway happen as soon as you take the car out of the showroom."

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaboooooommmmmmmmmm

Censored Censored Censored Censored

My wife swore she saw a mushroom cloud over my head.

Anyways to cut matters short, the vehicle was already registered and we could do jack about it. We were given the delivery a couple of days later with a replaced bonnet.

That was 27months ago and my car has had its share of scratches since.

Hyundai cars have all been hits. Their cars just just fly off the assembly line and you gotta wait at least 3 months before you get your hands on a brand new i20. People have loved the car and it is a runaway success.

Well people have even loved 'Wanted' and 'Dabang' and these were super duper hits but that I don't like them would be an understatement. In fact I see a lot of similarity, like Salman's movies the i20 (P) has oodles of style, some good moments and a killer USP but little substance.

The i20 has been reviewed a lot of my fellow Bhpians so I'll just list up a few of what I believe are the pros and cons of the Hyundai i20 Asta (Petrol).

THE GOOD

1) A spacious hatchback and big boot (the boot is really huge for a hatch).

2) Can seat four adults in very good comfort.

3) Good quality materials used all over - the dash, door pads etc. Also, I personally don't mind the color of the dash and I have the original black facia with amber lights.

4) Decently luxurious for its price and good value for money.

5) Nice A.S.S (again no pun intended)

6) Sure slotting and smooth gear shift.

7) Spare wheel is also an alloy.

8) High equipment level, better than quite a few C+ sedans.

Imagine you're stuck in traffic and you have this car approaching you too close for comfort.. you look at the driver eye to eye.. give him a nod.. press a button and your OVRM's close in slow motion.. give him a sly smile and drive off. My bade bhaiya just loves doing this and then he gives me that look - shaken not stirred !!
SHOW OFF !!!!

Also, I really appreciate the audible alarms for the seat belts and I love the rampuri style key.

THE BAD

Yeah, I know I'm not the only six footer to use the i20 but I've been blessed with rather long legs and man I've had a tough time in school during my P.T classes.

" Sir I really can't touch my feet without bending my knees "

" Young man when I was your age I used to walk for kilometers to my school "

" Sure sir but did you ever try doing that without bending your knees !!!!"

" SHUT UP.. mannerless.. you boys today are all cry babies now don't dismantle the class discipline

"HUH WHAT ???"

"TOUCH your feet WITHOUT bending your knees."

I tried and tried but invariably I used to end up bending my knees and wwwhhhaaaacckk I used get one with that 'footpatti'.

What I mean is that the rear seat is not a very comfortable for tall people. A low hip point and lack of under-thigh support make the rear seats a disaster for the vertically enhanced and you must really hate someone to make him/her sit in the middle. The center hump on its own is not a problem but coupled the cup holder, its a different story altogether. You can squeeze five adults in the car but assuming the fifth would be a biped with normal sized feet, he or she is gonna have tough time.

2) The stock speakers are not that great and if you like your music then you would like to get rid of these speakers asap. The audio system comes with Aux and USB input and clearly mentions iPod on the USB slot but for some strange reasons it does not read my iPhone when connected directly through USB. Have been using it through the Aux port.
Most of all, the mute and audio source buttons on the steering are a disaster. If you think I'm exaggerating then try convincing your wife that the channel change was unintentional...!!!

3) "Kitna Deti hai" - We're from the Maruti country and fuel efficiency is of utmost importance to us. Yup I know its the small Kappa engine and by sheer displacement standards it is supposed to be fuel efficient but that is not the case. Within the city I have never got more than 10.5 kmpl and at times it's crashed to 8.5 kmpl. Highways is an issue as well, the best I've got is 16kmpl. More on this later.

4) Another serious issue i face with this car is it's headlights. Driving on the highways can be a nightmare at times.

5) Wipers, I think is a problem with most cars and most of time you're left with a few undesirable streaks across the windscreen. Using Bosch blades should solve the problem but getting original Bosch blades is a different ball game altogether.

6) Having automatic climate control is a boon but the air conditioning can be a matter of concern during summers especially for people at the back.

THE UGLY

Okay now coming to the more serious issues

A car that I had extensively driven was the Zen Carbon. Swanky but impractical two door version of the MPFI Zen. Then I had been using the Ford Fiesta for almost four years (we let it go recently). Both these cars had their own sets of issues but they scored high where it mattered - Drivability.
They begged to be driven. The zen was like a go cart on steroids. In gears acceleration especially in the 2nd and 3rd gears was a league apart. The Fiesta, we all know is one of the best driver's car this side of a BMW. So coming down to the i20 was like a rude shock.

The Kappa engine is quite capable on it's own and does wonders in the i10, but it is too small for the larger and heavier bade bhaiya (read i20)
The gears have a narrow power band and the 2nd gear is especially lifeless. Quite often I have to shift down to first when I get over a speed breaker. Basically not a very desirable torque curve.

With our bumper to bumper traffic we need to be ready to get into that gap before a couple of autowala's get in (its amazing how they do this with one eye glued to the rear view mirror - remember the back seat show). So I have drive the i20 in a low gear high Rev state (meatier band) and this obviously leads to a lower fuel efficiency.

Same goes for highway running - At 100 Kmph the engine is running at 3000rpm, which is quite high. Any further increase in speed is met a disproportional increase in RPM. Overall the fuel efficiency is bad, simply because the car is under-powered.

Overall engine refinement is okay and she even sounds good above 3K !!

2) The problem that all i20 owners have been facing - Steering column rattle. I have the particular seal replaced thrice now but the steering just loves to rattle. Also, there is absolutely no steering feedback. It does help in the city at times but its like playing NFS, only this time don't let the cops catch you cuz damages would be real !!

3) Last but not the least - Bad suspension. This car is not that great for highways. At high speeds you are running your engine at a considerable RPM, with no steering feedback and a soft suspension. Its not at all confidence inspiring and definitely not a situation I would fancy myself to be in. Also I do feel the car isn't that soft either over expansion joints or potholes. Why we call them potholes is another matter of discussion .. craters on the moon would be smaller !!

To sum it up I'd say that the Hyundai I20 is an all frills but no thrills car.

It is a very good vehicle for someone who needs to go from A to B in decent comfort, style and luxury without spending a lot. Though it has given many sedans a run for their money and has a huge fan following, it is not a vehicle that you would enjoy driving. Moreover I used the petrol, the diesel would be a different scenario. I'm sure the CRDI engine is jewel. Also with a little more weight on the front suspension maybe the steering feel has got heavier (not aware). Now it comes loaded with satnav as well. So it is amazing value for money.
Its all about priorities. My requirements from a car have been simple, earlier I preferred cars that were superb to drive hence the zen and then the Ford
Now I'll prefer my car to be be supremely comfortable, so I can ignore everything by going off to sleep and let someone else do all the hard work !!
Turbocharged-KC is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 01:22   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20

@Turbo, That indeed was a funny piece. The information bit of it took a back seat (even though it isn't really comfy, as you said. Or maybe it was the auto-wallah's back seat, whereby comfort was not of much importance!!! )

With your The Good, Bad, Ugly bit, was trying to imagine Clint Eastwood poking out of an i20's (imaginary) sunroof (presumably controlling the car with his feet), with a toothpaste smile this time, and a gun (no, let is be a enfield 303) trying to shoot the rope around your neck (tied by bade bhaiya? )!!! Gosh! This is getting nutty. But those who have seen the movie would relate to it.

Anyway, coming back to your post, I wanted to quote the funny bits I really liked, but as I proceeded I realized I'd be putting more than half of your post there, so it was pointless.

A VERY interesting read again. Good points made too. Should help those considering this car. Frank and unbiased. BTW, the moment you said that it wasn't your choice and was bade bhaiya's I thought some nasty words about the car are coming up. LOL

PS: I too tried to present some info in a slightly humorous way on the In Car Entertainment section of the forum. Thought you may want to read it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...icroscope.html
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 10:16   #3
BHPian

Where did you get your steering replaced thrice? Is it still giving problems?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 11:33   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Anyway, coming back to your post, I wanted to quote the funny bits I really liked, but as I proceeded I realized I'd be putting more than half of your post there, so it was pointless.

A VERY interesting read again. Good points made too. Should help those considering this car. Frank and unbiased. BTW, the moment you said that it wasn't your choice and was bade bhaiya's I thought some nasty words about the car are coming up. LOL
Thanks poitive,Humour is so addictive - you know what I mean.. I can see the 'bade bhaiya' effect spreading. Yeah well but 280 plus views and 2 replies later I think I should toned down a bit because on retrospect the information does seem to be lost in a sea of words.

I know I did sound quite negative about the vehicle but trust me it is not like that. I stand by what I said. That the Hyundai i20 is an amazing all rounder and great value for money but It is not that great for tall people and I won't search for it's keys if I enjoy driving. I just can't help it. I've been spoiled crazy first by Maruti Zen and then the Fiesta.

I was out of town since a couple of days and haven't read your post yet. Will do that asap.

Thanks !
Turbocharged-KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 11:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Where did you get your steering replaced thrice? Is it still giving problems?
Hi kalpeshc, I didn't get my steering replaced thrice. There is an Oil seal that is claimed to be the reason for rattling in the steering column. I got is replaced from Continental Hyundai - thrice. But each time the problem re-surfaced.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:19   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocharged-KC View Post
Hi kalpeshc, I didn't get my steering replaced thrice. There is an Oil seal that is claimed to be the reason for rattling in the steering column. I got is replaced from Continental Hyundai - thrice. But each time the problem re-surfaced.
I am assuming that you've gone through Wildon's thread where he outlines the solution for this problem by quoting one of Hyundai's internal service bulletins. It explains what needs to be done - urethane pad and yoke spring to be replaced. Check your invoices whether this has been done.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:36   #7
BHPian

Thanks !! It seems I had missed that particular thread. I'll take a look at my service details. The oil seal thing was something I remembered being told about by the service engineer. Now that Hyundai has solved the issue I'm gonna get it done asap. Thanks again.
Old 21st July 2011, 10:24   #8
BHPian

Unfortunately they only 'claim' to have solved the issue. Quite a few of the users who have got this done have reported the problem reappearing again. Having said that, there are a few who have reported the problem as solved. So looks like more of a hit or miss thing.
Old 23rd July 2011, 08:53   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !! It seems I had missed that particular thread. I'll take a look at my service details. The oil seal thing was something I remembered being told about by the service engineer. Now that Hyundai has solved the issue I'm gonna get it done asap. Thanks again.
All those claims by Hyundai of having solved the issue is just eyewash. In fact the ywere reluctant to acknowldge the rattle sound until I recorded this video. Video Link here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2323548

My car underwent steering rack chaneg twice, steering column once and the ydid all sorts of experiments to get rid of the issue. Yet the issue persists till date. The car even suffered from EPS malfunction one fine day. Repeated request to Hyundai to send competent technicians to look at the car went unanswered. The entire drama that played out over the past two years regarding the steering rattle issue has been mentioned in my thread :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 22:30   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
All those claims by Hyundai of having solved the issue is just eyewash. In fact the ywere reluctant to acknowldge the rattle sound until I recorded this video. Video Link here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2323548

My car underwent steering rack chaneg twice, steering column once and the ydid all sorts of experiments to get rid of the issue. Yet the issue persists till date. The car even suffered from EPS malfunction one fine day. Repeated request to Hyundai to send competent technicians to look at the car went unanswered. The entire drama that played out over the past two years regarding the steering rattle issue has been mentioned in my thread :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ownership.html

Wow.. that is really bad.. I'm wondering though, a similar case with Skoda would have had the entire forum guns blaring...!!

Being an engineer myself, I am really surprised that Hyundai engineers are not able to find a cost effective solution to the rattling issue. Maybe the intentions aren't there.. in either case its a sad state of affairs.

In the end I do stand by my words.. the i20 is somewhat a half-baked product. I hope you don't face any other issues with your ride.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Being an engineer myself, I am really surprised that Hyundai engineers are not able to find a cost effective solution to the rattling issue. Maybe the intentions aren't there.. in either case its a sad state of affairs.
The thing is our fellow Indians working in Hyundai do not seem to be having the guts to take a stand and stand up to their Korean bosses about the steering issue.

It is only "Yes Master, Yes Master" from HMIL's side to Hyundai, Korea!!!! Some great impression those Koreans must be having of us Indians!!!! Had HMIL been really serious and had they hired capable and intelligent engineers, this issue should have been solved by now. But I guess the engineers working in HMIL are neither intelligent nor capable of solving this issue. They even probably lack the will and drive to tackle the issue. I mean how hard is it stop a rattle from recurring?

Quote:
In the end I do stand by my words.. the i20 is somewhat a half-baked product. I hope you don't face any other issues with your ride.
Couldn't agree with you more. The i20 was not tested thoroughy, hence the never ending steering and A/C issues. There was an issue with the brakes in my car, but it was solved after I went to another Hyundai workshop.
skanchan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 13:27   #12
BHPian

I have always maintained that i20 is a very average car with fancy equipment (no offence to the owners), a strictly point A to B commuter car. A humble Ford Figo is more enjoyable around corners while the Punto is in a different league.
Its Hyundai's brand equity built over the years with Santro that is pushing sales else I fail to fathom how a car with serious issues such as an ineffective A/C and steering rattle continues to sell upwards of 6k's every month.
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 23:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
I have always maintained that i20 is a very average car with fancy equipment (no offence to the owners), a strictly point A to B commuter car. A humble Ford Figo is more enjoyable around corners while the Punto is in a different league.
Its Hyundai's brand equity built over the years with Santro that is pushing sales else I fail to fathom how a car with serious issues such as an ineffective A/C and steering rattle continues to sell upwards of 6k's every month.
Well my friend, with a sad rear seat, lifeless steering and wallowy suspension, the All New Hyundai Verna is repeating the so called success story !!

Hyundai's new Verna is gonna be a super hit but so were Salman Khan's "Wanted" as well as 'Dabbang'.

Its all a matter of personal choice and sensibiities.