Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 26th July 2011, 15:39   #1
BHPian

Default 2007 Indica DLG Turbo - 48,000 KMS ownership report

Hi Folks

spent exactly 4 years as of today with my Indica, and below is a summary of our experiences with it. I used to believe that all cars need to be serviced, atleast for their first 5 years with the same dealer that sold the car. Unfortunately for me at Bangalore, Manipal Motors closed down a year after my purchase, leaving my car without a proper continuity of service for a period of 2 years before I found Green Tracks at Silk Board Junction.

Running: An average of 1K kms per month
Driving: strictly me, or my better half
Breakdowns: 2 - Details later
Usage Pattern: 20% highways, 80% city.
FE: 13 KMPL in Bangalore city, ~17 in highways (100% AC)

First Year:

Initial euphoria of the new car died down within the first 1 months due to a flat tyre, and one more, within 20 kms of the first (before i could even get the first tyre repaied). this on a highway! what followed was, for the next 12K kms, about 1 flat tyre every other week, so much so that me and my wife can now execute a tyre change in less than 6 minutes flat! Manipal Motors got the OE tyre brand (Bridgestone) to change the tubes a few times, but after that, i did not have the patience to follow up with them as well. at 12 K kms, changed to 185X65X14 tubeless Accelairs. that was the last of the tyre issues, for now. Nevertheless, felt cheated!

Second Year:

Shifted service center to Raj Motors, Bellandur. only niggling issues was the odd sounds from the belts (Alternator and AC) which were repalced a couple times, but the problem never got fixed. Also, rubber dampeners on which the engine mounts were slightly cracked, and had to be replaced. Otherwise an uneventful year.

Third Year:

Continued with Raj Motors for the regular service. no issues, uneventful year again, but belt sounds continued.

Fourth Year:

Major Breakdown1: Driving from Hyderabad with Bangalore, with brother, wife and our 7 month old baby. Murphy struck us with a vengence. 70Kms out of Hyderabad, heard a belt snap when i was at 100 kmph, and then car refused to move. realized after some trouble shooting with local mechanics that the alternator belt snapped, and entered the timing compartment, and messed up the engine timing as well. This, after a full 35K Kms service with the Tata Motors Dealer at Warangal. Unfortunately, the A.S.S guys did not check the belts for brittleness, basic, i would expect! 6 hours after the ordeal started, we were back on the road, and reached bangalore after all night drive.

Major Breakdown2: Yesterday (4th Brithday) car refuses to engage in 1st and 3rd gear. Service station just called to inform that the clutch assembly, and gear springs for both those gears are broken, estimate of 8.5K.

All in all, very satisfied with the car, but wish the breakdowns didnt happen, and the service guys could identify these defects during preventive maintenance or service stops! Just recently, were contemplating exchanging this car with another one, but by now, too attached to it to leg go. some nice memories attached to it: 1st car after marraige, Kid came home in this car, part of many family events etc etc, also, one of the best shots of my son was when he was ON the car see attached. The second pic is me inside the car, and he leaning onto the windshield

Do you guys think Tyre issues then could be handled differently, Did anyone else who bought in 2007 July face similar issues? and Clutch Overhaul / replacement at 48K kms is too early, isnt it?
Attached Thumbnails
2007 Indica DLG Turbo - 48,000 KMS ownership report-dsc09588.jpg  

2007 Indica DLG Turbo - 48,000 KMS ownership report-dsc09590.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 19th October 2011 at 14:02. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
bigvishnu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 00:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2007 Indica DLG Turbo - 48,000 KMS ownership report

welcome vishnu. nice to see another Indica turbo owner! I got my Indica in June '07
Regarding the alternator belt, I had similar issues, but was told that tightening it would make the noise go away, but increase the risk of it snapping. I decided to put up with the noise instead. Guess I made a wise choice. I have had 3 punctures, with only one on the road (and I strongly believe it was sabotage) and the other two went on undiscovered except that one of the tyres was not holding air very well, and the tyrewallah spotted a nail in the tube.
I have had the clutch issue as well, and had it replaced at 36K Kms. Folks here were of the opinion that possibly an adjustment would have been enough, but TASC's change the whole thing as a matter of policy, but sadly charge the bill to us.

I've spent a ton of money maintaining it (25k this year alone) and subjected it to a fair amount of abuse ( 2 suspension overhauls so far) Three accidents including a major rear end shunt, and a road trip from kerala to orissa in 36 hours, but thankfully it has never stranded me on the road.

Big question : Do you use system D?

Also, do post some more pictures of your car, and your general opinion (other than the general list of complaints)

here's my ownership thread in excruciating detail
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-pg-20-a.html
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 10:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Big question : Do you use system D?

Also, do post some more pictures of your car, and your general opinion (other than the general list of complaints)
Thanks Greenhorn... About System D, no, i have not really used it so far, but was sticking to ExtraMile or TurboJet. I guess i must try System D soon.

On the other things that i have not mentioned above, i guess its a superb car (having graduated from my Indica DLS), Steering feedback is great, turbo lag sometimes is irritating, but i feel turbo reminds me of its presence more than of its absence. the car is well planted, and perfect for us also in terms of the space it offers (ask anyone how much space someone needs in their car when they have a growing baby in tow).

Its comfortable in the city, to the extent wifey now despises the swifts and wagonRs of the world. (no offence meant).

More pictures to follow soon! Had a luggage carrier fitted on the Hyd trip in December. Car is now with the service station, had requested them to remove the carrier.

More Later!
Attached Thumbnails
2007 Indica DLG Turbo - 48,000 KMS ownership report-dsc_0007.jpg  

bigvishnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 10:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I've spent a ton of money maintaining it (25k this year alone) and subjected it to a fair amount of abuse ( 2 suspension overhauls so far) Three accidents including a major rear end shunt, and a road trip from kerala to orissa in 36 hours, but thankfully it has never stranded me on the road.
[/url]
Oh yeah.. i forgot to mention a battery change at around 40K kms, and an engine starter assembly overhaul at around the same time. The problem was that cold starts were not happening, had to crank 15-20 times, and got lucky with starting, but was not predictable. service station said the root cause was battery, and recommended a change. shifted to Amaron. When the problem didn't stop, they investigated further and said the issue was the starter. In hindsight, i guess my older Exide battery could have gone on further. That makes my total service bill in 2011 to touch almost 20K... and hopefully that's it, until my next scheduled service.

Reading your long thread greenhorn. almost feel as if i could have co-authored a part of it without ever seeing your car
Old 27th July 2011, 12:08   #5
BHPian

I took my Indica DLG in March 2008. Have driven now for 75K Kms. It makes lot of sound but the serves well. Recently did a 500K round trip without any hick-ups.
Had one major break down at around 62K Kms due to alternator got corrupt? Partly it was my mistakes also ignored initial symptoms of the headlight bulbs getting burnt and also the speedometer not working. It cost me 22K to get it repaired, as I had misplaced my service book and the extended warranty card.
I agree with the tire’s the Goodyear tires r came are crap, within 15K flat tires were routine as weeding inside the tire is lose and it would rub the tubes resulting in flat tires.
Got it changed to Apollo accelere 185 Profile and did not flat tire for another 20K Kms. Had only one flat tyre in 40K Kms on Appollo tyres.
It served me good until and now the car been used by father and is in less usage now but still in good condition.
Shocks has been changed for a single rear wheel. Still runs stock clutchs
srinivasmhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

do try system D. after using regularly for a few tankfulls, you'll see a marked importance in smoothness. And the plus points - agree entirely. I've had a battery replacement, and the other major job was an FIP overhaul, which i feel was not really needed, and made no difference. I get a mileage of 13ish myself, was worried if it was just me. Now I know its not

Happy cruising
Old 27th July 2011, 13:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
do try system D. after using regularly for a few tankfulls, you'll see a marked importance in smoothness. And the plus points - agree entirely. I've had a battery replacement, and the other major job was an FIP overhaul, which i feel was not really needed, and made no difference. I get a mileage of 13ish myself, was worried if it was just me. Now I know its not

Happy cruising
Waiting to get the car back to start trying System D! Thanks Greenhorn.

and yes, you are not alone. i feel the same about the battery too, am sure it had more juice in it, but am learning stuff the hard way i guess. With the cluck overhaul now, i expect the mielage to jump up a bit, fingers crossed.
Old 27th July 2011, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
Got it changed to Apollo accelere 185 Profile and did not flat tire for another 20K Kms. Had only one flat tyre in 40K Kms on Appollo tyres.
clutchs
hi Srini... Accelere is an excellent choice, in my opinion.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

at least one upside of the clutch replacement i experienced is that you'll notice that the jerking in the lower gears will reduce
Old 6th August 2011, 14:52   #10
BHPian

Vishnu,

stumbled across this post because of DLG Turbo in title. Even I own one, dating March 2006. The belt snapping incident was unfortunate, indeed. I had faced the same problem in my DLE, and had to get it towed, because it was stranded in the middle of the road :-(

A clutch job at 48k km is rather early... what does your mechanic say?
sschivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 17:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Vishnu,

stumbled across this post because of DLG Turbo in title. Even I own one, dating March 2006. The belt snapping incident was unfortunate, indeed. I had faced the same problem in my DLE, and had to get it towed, because it was stranded in the middle of the road :-(

A clutch job at 48k km is rather early... what does your mechanic say?
looks like the i am not the only Indica guy whose belt snapped... SAD that they do not do anything about it. my Older DLE which has done more than 100000 kms (my dad uses it now) has never seen this issue.

On the clutch, the mechanics in bangalore has a simple explanation... "too mcuh traffic jams saar... we all drive on the cluchhh... so it will happen like this only.. ". And with Green track having only one service advisor, the poor guy is under too much stress to spend too much time on any one car, so i didnt push them further.
Old 9th August 2011, 16:30   #12
BHPian

[quote=bigvishnu;2458797]looks like the i am not the only Indica guy whose belt snapped... SAD that they do not do anything about it. my Older DLE which has done more than 100000 kms (my dad uses it now) has never seen this issue.

To be fair to my DLE, it was making some warning sounds about 2-3 days before the belt finally gave in... I just pushed my luck and decided to wait till weekend to inspect it, and I simply pushed it too far!!
sschivate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 16:45   #13
BHPian

Add my 2007 DLG turbo to the list. 52k Km and counting.
Problems?
Year 1 : 0.

Year 2:0,

Year 3: clutch change at 27k km ( i suspected the cable needed setting, but tass changed the whole set). Alternator work due to dry solder fault. Snapped alternator belt on the highway. Sqeaking noise after that has never gone away. Loss of hydraulic power steering fluid on a regular basis every 15 days. Tass took 5 attempts to set it right over a period of 4 months.

Year 4: front and rear shocks@ 32k km, tyres @ 40k km, Brakes would not grab so pads were changed @ 41K, didn't solve the problem, neighborhood mechanic bled the system and brakes were fine. Gears 1 and 3 would not engage, turned out to be syncro problem. Turbo failed ( i do the 30 sec start up and shut down religiously). Ac failure. Ruptured coolant pipe (metal)

The family says sell it. I say, everything in the car is now new / changed / repaired whats the point . Also offered peanuts for the car, might as well run it it it falls apart. This is absolutely the last TATA product I will ever buy.

Last edited by clix22 : 9th August 2011 at 16:47. Reason: needed to add a sentence.
clix22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 17:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post

On the other things that i have not mentioned above, i guess its a superb car (having graduated from my Indica DLS), Steering feedback is great, turbo lag sometimes is irritating, but i feel turbo reminds me of its presence more than of its absence. the car is well planted, and perfect for us also in terms of the space it offers (ask anyone how much space someone needs in their car when they have a growing baby in tow).

Its comfortable in the city, to the extent wifey now despises the swifts and wagonRs of the world. (no offence meant).
Hi Vishnu,
Just bumped on this thread! I have owned 3 indica's in the past - the V2 DLS, V2 DLS 1st refresh and a DLG Turbo.
The reason I state this is because I'm about to dispute some of your feedback above basis my purchases after the Indica - namely the Palio 1.6 and a Ford Fiesta 1.6!
The Indica IMHO is neither a handler nor does it offer a sharp steering with feedback from any angle - in fact the 4 wheel independent suspension which was supposed to be an advantage is the culprit here as Tata just didn't get it right (Car offers very little overhang at rear to effectively us a multilink rear independent suspension - Verify this by the huge difference in rear seat comfort between Indica and Indigo!) This also gives it a slightly soft set-up and doesn't feel planted at triple digit speeds!. Mind you, it feels much better than a santro, i10, wagon R, etc... but there are far better offerings available.
On the space front - absolutely no arguments! it takes the cake!

Btw - totally agree with your wife's dislike of the "tin-box" brigade!
viper_711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 08:56   #15
BHPian

[quote=sschivate;2462107]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
To be fair to my DLE, it was making some warning sounds about 2-3 days before the belt finally gave in... I just pushed my luck and decided to wait till weekend to inspect it, and I simply pushed it too far!!
You must consider yourself lucky it gave you some warning sounds. mine was humming away smoothly on the highway, and i had no reason to suspect since it has just returned from a full service just a few days before from a TATA service station. For the first time, i felt Let-down and disappointed by TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post

The family says sell it. I say, everything in the car is now new / changed / repaired whats the point . Also offered peanuts for the car, might as well run it it it falls apart. This is absolutely the last TATA product I will ever buy.
Clix.. both your, and your family's arguments are fair.. tough call!

however, decision to never buy a TATA product again, think again, you never know how future product roadmap will change your perceptions . Year 4 seems to have been very troublesome, but i hope its a passing phase, and you dont have to face similar situations again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Hi Vishnu,
Just bumped on this thread! I have owned 3 indica's in the past - the V2 DLS, V2 DLS 1st refresh and a DLG Turbo.
The reason I state this is because I'm about to dispute some of your feedback above basis my purchases after the Indica - namely the Palio 1.6 and a Ford Fiesta 1.6!
The Indica IMHO is neither a handler nor does it offer a sharp steering with feedback from any angle - in fact the 4 wheel independent suspension which was supposed to be an advantage is the culprit here as Tata just didn't get it right (Car offers very little overhang at rear to effectively us a multilink rear independent suspension - Verify this by the huge difference in rear seat comfort between Indica and Indigo!) This also gives it a slightly soft set-up and doesn't feel planted at triple digit speeds!. Mind you, it feels much better than a santro, i10, wagon R, etc... but there are far better offerings available.
On the space front - absolutely no arguments! it takes the cake!

Btw - totally agree with your wife's dislike of the "tin-box" brigade!
Viper.. to be fair to indica, we must be comparing it with others in its segment, and in the same price range. so when i said good things about the Indica, it was obviously in comparison to the Santros, i10s and Wagon Rs of the world (no offense meant, i have owned a santro and my grandpa still drives his wagonR). They have their +s which are keeping them in the family for many years!

I would think twice before comparing it with a Fiesta or a much better pailo Btw.. our ownership history with the TATAs seems to be identical. we had the V2 DLS before, and Dad still drives the V2 DLS refresh.

One problem and one update!

Problem: After the Alternator overhauling, and clutch change 2 weeks back. a peculiar problem started: Cold start takes multiple cranks. Thick black smoke for a few minutes, and the "Check Engine" bulb continues to glow for a few minutes (till the engine warms up). nothing odd observed for the rest of the day.

Update: taking the family on a weekend trip to ooty... so will be away from this thread until Monday evening. hope the car enjoys some open roads after the bumper to bumper torture of bangalore!

Last edited by bblost : 12th August 2011 at 11:18. Reason: back to back posts. Please use multiquote when replying to multiple posts.