Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2011, 10:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Honda Civic AT - 35000 Kms Update With New Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Mounts giving away depends on the driving style also.
You mean if you go over bad roads mounts will go quicker? How is it dependent on driving style?
Old 16th August 2011, 10:38   #17
BHPian

what i ment was if you drive carelessly over bad and pot holed filled roads or be jerky in your driving the mounts will go bad sooner.
But since being an AT jerky driving is almost eliminated in city traffic it can only come if all the time redline shifting, but i suppose NC must not be doing it much often assuming the petrol prices and civics thirst for petrol.
Old 16th August 2011, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Jatin - why only mounts in the Civic ?? At least I haven't heard that engine mounts in other cars like the Corolla / Laura develop cracks due to jerky driving or going over pot holes !

I feel this could be a design flaw .....or the mount quality could be suspect ?
Old 16th August 2011, 14:44   #19
BHPian

If the car is driven recklessly over bad roads/hits a pothole at very high speeds, there is a chance of engine mounts getting cracked.

The A6 we have at home had to have its mounts replaced as the previous owner had used it quite recklessly :(

Didnt the earlier batches of the Civic have the engine mounts replaced under warranty ?

NC - You have maintained your Civic very well ! No little nicks, scratches etc from city driving !
Old 16th August 2011, 15:09   #20
BHPian

Hey NC,
Congrats buddy! Even I get my car serviced at Solitaire Borivali and that too with Bhavin as my SA.
I remember Anwar Patel as he helped in my interactions with the insurance company, very good person.

See you around.
Old 16th August 2011, 18:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Im glad you got this car. It felt and looked very clean.
Not far from the day NC got his car, i managed to find a clean example with the very same spec, done 23k kms and kept very very well. Except it was a few months older and then the V spec was not introduced so no leather seats. I did however get Art leather covers and Hids put on the car as i found the head lights to be really weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
A few observations on the car -

1) It's a low car with a long wheel base, having great potential to scrape it's bottom on these Mumbai roads. You need to use the length of the car judiciously to avoid the bottoming out. So far it has bottomed out on one really big crater, other than that it's fine.
Absolutely right. Im surprised it saw so many years without correction. The minute someone is seated behind, expect it to bottom on the next speed breaker.

Quote:
9) Headlights are pretty weak - the high beams are fine though.
I think it is a Honda specific thing. Even my City has bad lights, i had to upgrade to higher capacity bulbs.

Quote:
11) Ride quality is a little harder than other Honda cars.
In fact i dont like the ride quality one bit but then again ive clocked some 30k kms now ans the tyres are still original. Time to change, may be its the hard tyres giving me a harder ride, especially since ive changed all four shocks.

Quote:
14) The engine is smooth and silent. When the AC switches on there is a ggrrrr kind of jerk from the engine. (A thing that stopped later when I serviced the car.)
That might have been the FICD unit acting up.

Quote:
ps - BTW after taking delivery of the car, a few of us met up at Gogi's place for dinner and I showed Gogi the car and thanked him for the full tank of fuel he left in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Need some pics with the C-drives. I want to see how the 205/65-15 looks. Civics seem to eat engine mounts. 35K and engine mount is not good.
I need proper feed back on the C drives. I find that the Michelins are really overpriced. I have S drives on my Swift and they are great. Time i changed the tyres too.

I have a thing or two to add re the Civics.
Yes they seem to have a mount problem but then i have noticed that almost every car i have bought pre owned, had this problem. I have changed mounts on my older gen City, the Merc and almost every other car i bought which was past the 25k km mark.

My Civic also came in with a Shock problem. Ive changed all the shocks since and its not been cheap but i got them replaced at my local mechanic using OE parts. The Hinda dealership found no problems with my older shocks. I have also changed the brake pads but then at 22k kms and an automatic in Bombay thats the full life i guess. I find that the steering is a bit hard ans stiff. Id like any Civic owner to come and try my car out to be able to find out whether it is a Civic thing. Gautam and anyone who owns a Civic, would you be kind enough to give me a buzz when this side of town? Thanks!!
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 22:55   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I did however get Art leather covers and Hids put on the car as i found the head lights to be really weak.
I need to check out those HID's !

Quote:
Absolutely right. Im surprised it saw so many years without correction. The minute someone is seated behind, expect it to bottom on the next speed breaker.
Experienced it yesterday - 2 people (fairly healthy) in the back and scccrrraaaaappppppee

Quote:
I think it is a Honda specific thing. Even my City has bad lights, i had to upgrade to higher capacity bulbs.
The ANHC I had was pretty good with OE lights but the Civic low beam is bad.

Quote:
In fact i dont like the ride quality one bit but then again ive clocked some 30k kms now ans the tyres are still original. Time to change, may be its the hard tyres giving me a harder ride, especially since ive changed all four shocks.
Yes - change the tyres , will make a difference.

Quote:
That might have been the FICD unit acting up.
The mount.

Quote:
Maine tera petrol piya hai

Quote:
I need proper feed back on the C drives. I find that the Michelins are really overpriced. I have S drives on my Swift and they are great. Time i changed the tyres too.
So far so good.

Quote:
I have a thing or two to add re the Civics.

My Civic also came in with a Shock problem. Ive changed all the shocks since and its not been cheap but i got them replaced at my local mechanic using OE parts. The Hinda dealership found no problems with my older shocks. I have also changed the brake pads but then at 22k kms and an automatic in Bombay thats the full life i guess. I find that the steering is a bit hard ans stiff.
I got a quote of 3000 bucks per shock ...while Shetty quoted me 8000 bucks for a pair.

My brake pads and discs were checked and found to be good (within Honda specs)

My steering also feels hard.

Quote:
Id like any Civic owner to come and try my car out to be able to find out whether it is a Civic thing. Gautam and anyone who owns a Civic, would you be kind enough to give me a buzz when this side of town? Thanks!!
Will do !
normally_crazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 10:35   #23
BHPian

V-16, I am in Mumbai suburbs. So gimme a buzz.
I'm surprised to hear you had to change your suspension, did you just change the shocks or even the springs?

I have changed my OE bulbs to Philps <some>vision bulbs, and I feel they are better than stock. Lets get that meet back on.
Old 18th August 2011, 17:41   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
V-16, I am in Mumbai suburbs. So gimme a buzz.
I'm surprised to hear you had to change your suspension, did you just change the shocks or even the springs?

I have changed my OE bulbs to Philps <some>vision bulbs, and I feel they are better than stock. Lets get that meet back on.
Just the shocks and bushes. You bet lets meet up.

I love the way the car moves, smooth and without any grunt, do not like the way she handles though, better than the Honda City anyday. I wonder why peole buy it (and wonder why i bought it. Guess am still smitten by the Gen I and II, 1.5 Citys and the Vtecs.

Dont like the way the steering feels on a turn. Something is lacking and it seems stiff. I drive GErman cars every other day and those guys are hard but not stiff. I also dont like its lowrider character. Is not so great for ingress and egress. Just love the feel behind the steering wheel and the near perfect driving position as if you are in a sports car. Also am not a great fan of the city mileage she gives. Still, a Honda is a Honda.

I hope they dont screw up the new Civic like they did the new City.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:49   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Just the shocks and bushes. You bet lets meet up.

I love the way the car moves, smooth and without any grunt, do not like the way she handles though, better than the Honda City anyday. I wonder why peole buy it (and wonder why i bought it. Guess am still smitten by the Gen I and II, 1.5 Citys and the Vtecs.
These are exactly my thoughts, for car with sporty intentions its suspension is way too soft. I haven't had the confidence to exceed 150 clicks on my car, just don't have enough confidence. Especially if the roads are anything other than billiard table smooth (try finding that in Bombay, except the Bandra Worli sealink to an extent).

Love the seats though and can't get enuf of the console.
Old 19th August 2011, 06:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nice thread NC. Need more pics, boss! Is this the silvery blue- same shade that dot has? Or is it just silver? I'm thinking the former given your statement that the colour was slightly...off: it has that effect on some people (though I like it!)
You are correct noopster. This is the same Bluish Silver color that dot has. Even I was a little off on getting my Civic in this color as this was my least favorite of all the wonderful colors that the Civic comes with.
Quote:
It's that Bluish Silver color, I ain't a fan of this color.
Even I was not. But, believe me, the color grows on you in a few week's time and it really does look very good.
Old 19th August 2011, 08:17   #27
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jatin - why only mounts in the Civic ?? At least I haven't heard that engine mounts in other cars like the Corolla / Laura develop cracks due to jerky driving or going over pot holes !

I feel this could be a design flaw .....or the mount quality could be suspect ?
As owners would have noticed, most parts of the Civic are made in Japan. I have a feeling that the specs of such parts were written with developed country road conditions in mind. Naturally many fail on our roads where conditions are vastly different.

Quote:
These are exactly my thoughts, for car with sporty intentions its suspension is way too soft. I haven't had the confidence to exceed 150 clicks on my car, just don't have enough confidence.
Could do this once on E-way. The car was absolutely stable, looked good for another 20-30 old clicks easily.

Quote:
Love the seats though and can't get enuf of the console.

Last edited by dot : 19th August 2011 at 08:19.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to check out those HID's !

Experienced it yesterday - 2 people (fairly healthy) in the back and scccrrraaaaappppppee
Oh the car scraped even with the 205 65 15 spec tyres that you have ? Were you going a bit too fast on the bump?
Old 21st August 2011, 08:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Oh the car scraped even with the 205 65 15 spec tyres that you have ? Were you going a bit too fast on the bump?
Crawling speeds is what I was doing , but about 200 kgs in the rear seat and a big pothole meant that I could not avoid the inevitable !
Old 21st August 2011, 21:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

One more question NC.. the yokos you got are they made in Japan or the Phillipines etc ? Do keep us posted on the tyres performance etc.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 21st August 2011 at 21:55.
Closed Thread