Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 4th January 2012, 19:04   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The first cut is always the most painful - love, scratches, whatever.
Got the scratch touched up at the A S S, complimentary as always. But it's still visible. Hope to get used to living with it. One good thing in getting these things touched up is that the metal below then gets immune to any rusting etc.

@nilanjanray - I had a detailed talk about the VSC system with the Service Manager today. He informed me that it indeed is a serious piece of hardware and to get it retrofitted on the current model would be a tough job.

It's nice to see Toyota offering the same on the facelifted Fortuner, perhaps at the same price. VSC has been known to minimise roll-overs all over the world and is mandatory in many countries. Sad to see that the 6 Airbags didn't make it to the facelift as I feel a car of this class deserves those, along with the VSC, at any cost.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2012, 19:37   #242
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The first cut is always the most painful - love, scratches, whatever.
Till the first scratch I am always apprehensive, and sigh with relief when it appears - normally within one or two months of purchase. Miraculously it takes really long time to add to the initial scratch/dent.

A long time ago I did repair a small dent which appeared on my brand new car, but out of spite another one came within a week. Since then I keep the first one and others shy away from it!
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2012, 16:48   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The scratch line, as you will see in the picture, is above where the claddings would have been attached and wouldn't have helped either.
Nein, nein...Nope ! It wasn't for just this 'level' of scratches or scars I was recommending the cladding.
What my experience shows is that with such a 'high' vehicle the maximum scars are planted on the lower side of the doors. Even when you open the doors the lower lip of the door grinds into the neighbouring car or wall because of the curve and height.
When you move out of parking lots the bumper of the car in the next lot scrapes the lower portion of the door.
So that's where the claddings come in as great armour plates. Has saved me quite a few skin scrapes.
And to protect the cladding edges when opening the doors you can put a few adhesive strips like I have and it works like a charm.

I think in this case too the cyclist would have scraped the lower portion of the door - had he been totally tipsy ! Bet he was only partially sozzled. Ussko ek aur mauka de dijiye boss...
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2012, 16:10   #244
Senior - BHPian

Fuel Efficiency Update: Odo at 4300km; Last top-up run was about 350km and MID showed 11.5kmpl in the Delhi - Meerut Runs and actual FE was a surprising 11.4kmpl.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 18:33   #245
Senior - BHPian

2nd Free Service Report - Odo reading at 4520km. 5 months 20 days from the date of purchase. Only general checkup service. Air Filter and A/C Filter cleaned. All levels checked, bolts tightened/checked. Full wash including under-body wash done. 3M products used as usual.

Total Cost incurred: Zilch
Total Faults found: Zero

On an off/comparo note, my Santro (2007) underwent its 30k service yesterday and cost incurred was 8000/- as they had to overhaul the clutch/pressure plate. Also Silencer was changed due to rusting (outside the A S S, so costed only 1K). It will be a long time before a Hyundai will be able to replicate the durability of a Toyota.

Name:  20120131_143101.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  158.6 KB

Name:  20120131_141503.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  201.4 KB

Last edited by dkaile : 31st January 2012 at 18:35.
Old 1st February 2012, 06:15   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
2nd Free Service Report - Odo reading at 4520km.
Hi dkaile,
Nice to see the snaps of a good scrub !
One Q - you mentioned bolts were tightened - which bolts are you talking about - under chassis or somewhere else ?
I have not seen them carrying our AC filter cleaning on the Admiral - though it is a simple DiY.
Good luck for the miles ahead !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 07:41   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi dkaile,
Nice to see the snaps of a good scrub !
One Q - you mentioned bolts were tightened - which bolts are you talking about - under chassis or somewhere else ?
I have not seen them carrying our AC filter cleaning on the Admiral - though it is a simple DiY.
Good luck for the miles ahead !
I am also wondering what bolts were tightened. Here i have never seen them touch any bolt. They do clean a Filter which is accessed through the glove compartment.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:08   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
which bolts are you talking about - under chassis or somewhere else ?
I had specifically asked them to check all door mounting bolts and all suspension bolts under-body. They just undertook the same on my request and found all in order and no need of tightening was needed as per their feedback. They put the vehicle on a lift and also checked free movement and any noise on all the wheels. The AC filter and Air Filter cleaning was carried out without my request, as per their scheduled maintenance in my presence. So, its re-assuring to see them know their job.
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:12   #249
BHPian

Hey Dkaile,just a quick one,
I am getting a 2009 preowned silver toyota fortuner done about 18500Kms with complete service history for 15Lacs.The landed cost comes to 24lacs in Mumbai.I am so tempted to get this one.I am seeing the car tomorrow and will finalize the deal immediately.What in specific should I check when I see the fortuner tomorrow?

Can you share your views on a used classic fortuner?like maintenance,reliability,etc?
kedarwalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:44   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

@kedarwalke:

It seems like a very good deal. However, Kms seem kind of low for 2009 model so make sure that you go to the dealer personally and check when the last service was done. This will help you co-relate mileage to service history. For example you can see when the 15,000 km service was done and see if 18000 kms was done in a reasonable time.

Also check the date on the tires. At 18,000 kilometers, it should have the original tyres. The manufacturing date on the tires should be around the model manufacturing date.

Please also check if the brake upgrade was done.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:12   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Hey Dkaile,just a quick one,
I am getting a 2009 preowned silver toyota fortuner done about 18500Kms with complete service history for 15Lacs.The landed cost comes to 24lacs in Mumbai.I am so tempted to get this one.I am seeing the car tomorrow and will finalize the deal immediately.What in specific should I check when I see the fortuner tomorrow?

Can you share your views on a used classic fortuner?like maintenance,reliability,etc?
4x4addict has summed it quite well. If its actually 18.5k kms, its as good as new.
Check Service History for sure. Also check any signs of any accidental repairs and brake upgrade. Interiors should be soil free. Check tyres are original Dunlop (Made in Japan).

Maintenance-
Next Major Service will be around 30K kms and cost should be around 7K. 20K service should cost you about 3K.

Reliability-
As indestructible as nuclear waste... lolz

PS: Always keep tyre pressure at 30~32psi levels for a relatively smooth drive.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:30   #252
BHPian

It is a good opportunity for me to question all the Fortuner owners of the forum who's ownership reports I have been reading. The thing is that I am going through hell at the hands of my TASC regarding my 2010 Safari and am now contemplating selling it off and getting myself a 2012 Fortuner 4x4. However, I have a few questions which I will appreciate if you can answer.

1. What is the standard warranty for the Fortuner?
2. Do we have an option to go in for an Extended Warranty? If yes, what is the validity for it and how much does it cost?
3. I read on the Toyota Website that the standard service schedule for the Fortuner is every 5000 kms or 6 months. How flexible is Toyota about this? Suppose I plan a trip to Delhi/Punjab/Rajasthan/J&K (7000 kms) from Shillong and get the vehicle serviced before leaving and after coming back from this trip, will I have issues with Toyota Service?
4. How true are the reports of fleecing by the Toyota Service Centers?

Last edited by SumitB : 3rd February 2012 at 22:32.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 00:10   #253
Senior - BHPian

Answers below in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
It is a good opportunity for me to question all the Fortuner owners of the forum who's ownership reports I have been reading. The thing is that I am going through hell at the hands of my TASC regarding my 2010 Safari and am now contemplating selling it off and getting myself a 2012 Fortuner 4x4. However, I have a few questions which I will appreciate if you can answer.

1. What is the standard warranty for the Fortuner?
3 yr/100000km, whichever is earliest

2. Do we have an option to go in for an Extended Warranty? If yes, what is the validity for it and how much does it cost?
Not at the moment. Wish Toyota would offer this.

3. I read on the Toyota Website that the standard service schedule for the Fortuner is every 5000 kms or 6 months. How flexible is Toyota about this? Suppose I plan a trip to Delhi/Punjab/Rajasthan/J&K (7000 kms) from Shillong and get the vehicle serviced before leaving and after coming back from this trip, will I have issues with Toyota Service?
Should be alright, but better to check with the ASC beforehand. Or get your servicing done at Delhi.

Well, a Fortuner doesn't give much scope for fleecing - but most of us haven't owned it for enough number of years or kms. Almost all the vehicles in this forum run like new, and we have covered 10000- 40000kms+ with our vehicles. Manuuj has the highest 'kilometerage' among us here I think - you can check with him.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 4th February 2012 at 00:14.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 00:36   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Isn't the 5000 kms servicing a bit short? Doesn't Fortuner use synthetic engine oil? A 10K kms service would have been apt, considering Maruti vehicles use mineral oil and still good for 10K kms & companies like Fiat use synthetic oil and call for a 15K kms servicing.

And what all does the 5K km service include?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th February 2012 at 00:39.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:44   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I have had 3 Toyota's since 2002 (Qualis, Corolla and now the Fortuner) and have yet to be fleeced. Though their standards have deteiorated since 2002, if anything, they are still amongst the best in the business.

Quote:
Isn't the 5000 kms servicing a bit short? Doesn't Fortuner use synthetic engine oil? A 10K kms service would have been apt, considering Maruti vehicles use mineral oil and still good for 10K kms & companies like Fiat use synthetic oil and call for a 15K kms servicing.

And what all does the 5K km service include?
Fortuner/Toyota uses mineral oil by default though an option to shift to synthetic oil is there at the customer's cost (approx 260Rs./litre to 750Rs/lit differential). Their oil change frequency is in fact 10k only. 5K service usually includes just a wash and cleaning of air filters.

Last edited by dkaile : 4th February 2012 at 08:49.
dkaile is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote