Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 13th August 2011, 16:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Congratulations dkaile! May the force be with you...

The Himalayas are so close to you...so many beautiful places and trails...I am envious:-)

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 16:20   #17
BHPian

Default Re: The Millennium Falcon - Toyota Fortuner - The Raptor that is built to last

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Thank you R.Gautam. May I know which country are you talking about? Yes, we are a little short changed by the ICE here in India and that is on the upgrade list.
Saudi Arabia. The base model comes with a single din (without a usb port), but the variants with double din have the usb port. Even the alloys are different here. I'll try posting a pic, if it's ok with you.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 17:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Congratulations dkaile! May the force be with you...

The Himalayas are so close to you...so many beautiful places and trails...I am envious:-)
Thank you nilanjanray. Hope your bull is doing fine and I do have the added incentive to visit Himalayas more often now. Though the delivery was taken in the foothills with the peaks in sight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Saudi Arabia. The base model comes with a single din (without a usb port), but the variants with double din have the usb port. Even the alloys are different here. I'll try posting a pic, if it's ok with you.
Do definitely share with us and do also let us know the price if possible.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 02:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Then came and joined our family in 2004 was the Corolla. And we all know how well that has sold despite the price. The same Qualis story continues with this. Built of tried and trusted mechanicals that will run faultlessly forever and ever. It still gives me a FE (as we are possessed with Kitna Deti Hai?) of 12-13 kmpl and comes out cheaper to run and maintain than my Hyundai Santro!!

That is the Toyota way.
What a coincidence. We also own both, Corolla and Santro and Corolla comes out cheaper to run and maintain than Santro. Corolla still gives us at least 13 KPL with all time A/C on.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 07:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Corolla comes out cheaper to run and maintain than Santro.
Thanks Nitrous Power; Like I said "That is the Toyota Way".

Special Thanks to @GTO for the appreciation. Also to @b_kishore 77 & @Happywheels

Few Observations -
- No shortchanging in the number of keys. Toyota gives 3 keys unlike Honda et al (@mdsaab - I saw your keys reference on your Honda OT); 2 Full Fledged keys with Remote (like the one I have pictured) and a Third special key without remote which can also not open the "Lockable" glove box
- The lights blinks 2 times on unlock and once on lock (as is conventional)
- Long Press of the Panic Alarm button (the 3rd button on the remote) creates a ruckus to wake up the whole neighborhood
- Lock and unlock action is for all 5 doors including the boot door
- All the 4 doors have side pockets with bottle holders and magazine storage
- There are seat-back pockets in both the front seats
- There is a center bottle holder for a 1 liter bottle besides the center glove box
- There are also 2 foldaway cup holders for center row seats besides the side pocket storage
- There is a foldaway center rear arm rest albeit missing any cup holders
- There are 3 bottle holders for the 3rd row passengers too
- There are 4 cabin lights; 2 besides the Sunglass holder for both the front passenger and one each for the middle and 3rd row of seats. The rear 2 lights can be set to operate with door opening and closing. There is also theater like light dimming on both the rear 2 cabin lights and they light up immediately on unlock action of the remote for 15 seconds (same as my 7 year old Corolla, nothing special).
- There are 2 grocery bag holders in the boot
- There are 2 Coat hangers in the middle passenger seat
- Under seat storage below the front seats is very poor

More pictures of the same shortly forthcoming...

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th August 2011 at 06:37. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag.
Old 14th August 2011, 10:00   #21
BHPian

Hi dkaile,
Hearty Congrats!
Your euphemism on the arrival of the Falcon shows it all.
I specially liked your experience of sighting the car 1st time at the dealership and the way it made you feel.

I had a similar effect when I set eyes on my T Fort.

Wishing you many happy miles of joyful journeys, and the comforting assurance the T badge offers.

Cheers
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 10:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi dkaile,
Hearty Congrats!
Your euphemism on the arrival of the Falcon shows it all.
I specially liked your experience of sighting the car 1st time at the dealership and the way it made you feel.

I had a similar effect when I set eyes on my T Fort.
Thank you Monaro CV8; I am proud to join your club and would like to gain your off-roading skills. Hope you had a nice time at the boot camp.
Old 14th August 2011, 14:47   #23

Congratulations dkaile!!

Great choice of color. T-Fort looks astounding on road and needs attention wherever it goes.

Quote:
- The traffic has started parting and I feel like Moses. The policeman on the road in this region, wave me by especially in a traffic jams for reasons I have indicated before.
Now this is a big advantage here. A big +1 for your choice.

Well described review. keep us updated on your experience with the Falcon.
g.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 20:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.nox View Post
Congratulations dkaile!!
Great choice of color. T-Fort looks astounding on road and needs attention wherever it goes.
Now this is a big advantage here. A big +1 for your choice.
Well described review. keep us updated on your experience with the Falcon.
Thank You g.nox; Will be updating with new photos soon...
Old 14th August 2011, 21:44   #25
BHPian

Congrats Dkaile...
The thread by you, Guederian, Columbus, Nilanjan, Monaro, Manuj etc are so informative and the best advt for Fortuner. . It is really tempting to upgrade from the current Safari which is 3 yrs old but is vetoed by LOH(Togo channel infection) till it completes 5 yrs. I'm wondering if the Classic fort will be around for the next 2 years.

Did you say the Road tax is Rs 50k odd....My eyes popped up seeing that figure. The road tax here in Karnataka is 4.2 Lac. So the On road price comes upto approx 25.2 lacs. You are lucky to get this vehicle for 21.4 Lacs and at this price it looks reasonably VFM if it is compared to 15lac price of safari vx 4x4.

pssst: discreetly called up Lanson Toyota Pondicherry and inquired the price. It is the same 21.4 lacs. Something is ringing in my mind...
Looked around. LOH is busy with some chores...

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 14th August 2011 at 21:53.
bkishore_77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 22:20   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
The 2.7 litre I4, (P) automatic costs around 85,000 Riyals. Approx INR 10.45 lacs. The V6 should be around 92K/95K upwards.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 22:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
Congrats Dkaile...
The thread by you, Guederian, Columbus, Nilanjan, Monaro, Manuj etc are so informative and the best advt for Fortuner. . It is really tempting to upgrade from the current Safari which is 3 yrs old but is vetoed by LOH(Togo channel infection) till it completes 5 yrs. I'm wondering if the Classic fort will be around for the next 2 years.

Did you say the Road tax is Rs 50k odd....My eyes popped up seeing that figure. The road tax here in Karnataka is 4.2 Lac. So the On road price comes upto approx 25.2 lacs. You are lucky to get this vehicle for 21.4 Lacs and at this price it looks reasonably VFM if it is compared to 15lac price of safari vx 4x4.

pssst: discreetly called up Lanson Toyota Pondicherry and inquired the price. It is the same 21.4 lacs. Something is ringing in my mind...
Looked around. LOH is busy with some chores...
Thanks bkishore_77; The Safari is a brilliant vehicle but just for the passengers. It is not a driver's delight. I once sat in a relatively brand new Safari as a co-passenger and the brilliance with which it cruised the 200km potholed road was unmatched. I regressed from it totally fresh whereas my other mates in 2 Scorpios had their backs broken. When I tried a hand at driving it for a few km's, I was surprised by the relative lack of ergonomics.

Yours is a relatively new vehicle and you should stick with it for a couple of years as prudence demands. But you know what, Life is short. After I lost my father, I realized, at a stage where he was ready to retire and enjoy life to it's fullest, we lost him. I realized that day, that dreams if left for tomorrow may never be realized. So work hard, play hard and live your dreams. For Life is short and as I said before, Tomorrow never comes...
-------------

SUNDAY DEALERSHIP TRIP

Name:  contactus_mrt.jpg
Views: 3868
Size:  6.9 KB
Grand Toyota :: About Us :: Contact Us

Had a ride down to the local dealership, Grand Toyota, Meerut, today, and was surprised to see that it was spanking new and ready now. They did a good job completing it in the last 2 months. Had a talk with Service Head and he was a jolly good fellow though little lacking in the level of knowledge I would have liked. Anyways, he would rarely get people who know more about Toyota than him in this region and he was surprised by that fact. He gave me the option to go in for the smile program, which I would think about on the 1st Service day. He also informed me that now Genuine Toyota Synthetic Oil was available as an option albeit at 3 times the cost of regular oil. He showed me a chart and I was very surprised to see the oil change frequency marked out in that chart from Toyota for the Fortuner. It was at 10K, then next at 30K, then at 40K and then at 80K!!! (whereas the regular petroleum based oil change period was at a static 10k interval). This irregular oil change pattern in case of using synthetic was beyond my comprehension. He too was also at sea to answer my query on the same and assured to get back to me soon, after taking feedback from Toyota, Bangalore. Maybe this has got something to do with the engine's structure here. If some other member could throw some light on this I would be most obliged, otherwise I am on the job researching this synthetic oil issue.

I also came to the conclusion, that the 'smiles program' should be taken not at the time of delivery, but, after completion of the first 3 free services (of 1K, 5K and 10k) and only viable if you drive more than 20k in a year. Otherwise, its best to stick to normal service schedule. He promised me a complimentary wash on my next visit, which I may not need, as 1st service should approach by them. Anyways, I left after receiving 2 complimentary original Toyota windshield washer additive pouches.

Last edited by dkaile : 14th August 2011 at 23:06.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 23:25   #28
BHPian

Congrats dkaile for the Fortuner. Nice review, pretty detialed. Toyota must give you some loyalty benefits now, all your rides being from their stable.
It must be a chore to navigate it on Meerut roads.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 23:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats dkaile for the Fortuner. Nice review, pretty detailed. Toyota must give you some loyalty benefits now, all your rides being from their stable.
It must be a chore to navigate it on Meerut roads.
Thank you Utopian; They really should now! I am getting used to Meerut traffic; Roads are wide enough but traffic kills. Was apprehensive at first but then when I see all these Safaris, Scorpios and other TForts buzzing around, I feel encouraged. And the new Delhi-Dehradun highway is taking shape and the toll has started just outside Meerut. Also the 67 km 8 lane dedicated expressway to Delhi just got cleared and should also start taking shape soon...
Old 15th August 2011, 12:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th August 2011 at 20:58.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction