Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th February 2015, 20:05   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Quick update after about 5 more months. Thanks to a couple of out of town trips (including one to Daman, the worst place on earth to take a vacation except for the fantastic road leading there from Bombay), I have got to about 42,000 kms. Has this period been uneventful? Of course not. Shortly after my last set of posts, my AC stopped cooling. Turned out to be a problem with the cooling coil, which cost me a bomb ( Rs. 34,000) to repair. About a month later, some twerp (perhaps my car cleaner, but he denied it) broke the wiper arm, which cost me a further Rs. 5500. Finally, two weeks ago, the check engine light came on again. Yes, it was a problem with another one of the ignition coils. Repairing that plus replacing the front brake shoes (which perhaps could have got me to the next service due in April) cost another Rs. 10,000. So yes, maintaining this car is becoming really expensive. I have spent Rs. 50,000 on maintenance to cover about 4000 km - viz Rs. 12.5 / km. At current fuel prices, the maintenance cost per km is more than fuel costs (which are now down to under Rs. 10/km even at my low fuel efficiency levels).

So the question comes up again - should I keep the car, or sell it for whatever I can get? Thoughts are welcome. But there is a follow on question too - if I sell this car, what do I replace it with? Most folks I know buying cars in this segment have bought - The Superb. Why? The Camry costs about Rs. 6 l extra on the road, and comes with just two airbags. And the Teana, Accord and Passat are extinct. Buying a 3 Series or C class is the other option - but they offer less as cars other than badge value, and perhaps would be as expensive to maintain beyond the warranty period.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Wait for the new accord...... they have addressed most shortcomings of the outgoing model. It's got better steering, ride quality, handling, and it's got much more features. Review s are already out. Autocar video review is already out in YouTube. Check it out. You may like it.
nakul0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2015, 20:27   #167
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Skoda Superb - The Saga Continues - 5 Years, 44,000 kms

Quote:
Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
EU car ownerships typically fall into one of these categories:

1. Preempt and sell after 3-4 years (or after warranty)
2. Keep it long term and maintain with A.S.S till the residual value doesn't justify the bills and then sell.
3. Keep it long term and get work done outside A.S.S
4. Say goodbye to EU cars for good at the earliest and stick to more reliable brands.

#1 is an option for people flush with money, tax sops or lease culture like in US. #3 is for very resourceful people in big cities. #4 is not an option if you are a sucker for european ride.

I see myself as #2 and would suggest the same to you. You haven't hit the bottom yet, actually it is a pretty happy ownership :-)

Btw, changing cooling coil involves lot of labour as they have to open the dash etc. I was expecting it to cost more.

Last edited by androdev : 15th February 2015 at 20:32.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 12:42   #168
BHPian

Sack it off. You are nearing the point where a suspension re-do will be necessary. In my RS (which I have sold off) the ASS ripped off 40K. The Superb will definitely be more. I don't know if the Superb has a timing belt like the RS which requires change at 60K kms or 4-5 years. That too costs a tidy sum.
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 08:10   #169
BHPian

By selling, you will get a huge hit on depreciation. Also, not many cars in today's market can fill the shoes of a Superb... I'd suggest you look for a reliable/knowledgeable mechanic outside... parts are easily available in the open market, so sustaining the car at a reasonable cost should not be a problem. I did that with my vRS for 3 yrs and got the clutch, DMF, TB, Water pump all changed at a very very reasonable cost (50% of what a Skoda dealer would charge).
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 08:35   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Check out the VW Jetta facelift which will be launched later this week. Space is definitely not in Superb class... Or...

Live with the Superb for another year, and wait for the new Passat's launch.

Space is a fundamental issue - it's very hard to downgrade on space once you are used to a large car (even if on all weekdays, it's only me in the car without even a driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Wait for the new accord...... they have addressed most shortcomings of the outgoing model. It's got better steering, ride quality, handling, and it's got much more features.

Are they launching it? If so, any idea on timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
EU car ownerships typically fall into one of these categories:

1. Preempt and sell after 3-4 years (or after warranty)
2. Keep it long term and maintain with A.S.S
3. Keep it long term and get work done outside A.S.S
4. Say goodbye to EU cars for good

Btw, changing cooling coil involves lot of labour as they have to open the dash etc. I was expecting it to cost more.

Great analysis. I am toying with 4 but there doesn't seem to be a suitable Japanese alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Sack it off. You are nearing the point where a suspension re-do will be necessary. In my RS (which I have sold off) the ASS ripped off 40K. The Superb will definitely be more.
You are scaring me here. The issue is which new car do I go far, as mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I'd suggest you look for a reliable/knowledgeable mechanic outside.

Am going round in circles on this - unfortunately, I don't know anyone with personal experience of non ASS mechanics.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2015, 09:05   #171
BHPian

Shouldn't be an issue finding a reliable mechanic outside Skoda ASS in Mumbai... Send GTO a PM requesting for references or pointers!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:32   #172
BANNED

On 15th February 2015:

Quote:
So yes, maintaining this car is becoming really expensive. ...So the question comes up again - should I keep the car, or sell it for whatever I can get?
On 29th April 2014:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
there is a certain tipping point in the life of cars after which there are continuous and repetitive problems. This tipping point seems to have been crossed in the life of your car.

It would be in your best interests to sell this car at the earliest and opt for a car that suits your usage pattern better and it could be better to stick to the Japanese or Koreans as it would give you far greater peace of mind. At end of the day, this is a lot more important than the additional feel of luxury or driving pleasure that you may get with your current car.
Let me warn you again. What you are experiencing is just the tip of the iceberg and you will face far more serious problems. Sell the car, if you can, like yesterday.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 23rd February 2015 at 09:43.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2015, 17:54   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Let me warn you again. What you are experiencing is just the tip of the iceberg and you will face far more serious problems. Sell the car, if you can, like yesterday.

Veyron my friend, one more chance for you to say, "I told you so." Completed 5 years with the Superb at the end of the last month, and that meant it was time for my 5th annual service at 43,300 kms. I was given an initial estimate of about Rs. 20,000. But after inspection, I was told that several more things need to be done:

A) The spark plugs needed to be replaced as it was almost 45,000 km
B) One of the linkages in the front suspension needed to be replaced
C) The battery was weak and needed to be replaced

I was also told that other suspension parts would need replacement, most likely at the next service. I gave them the go ahead for the first two, and asked for the spec of the battery as I wanted to check prices from outside. I was told I need a 60 Amp-hr battery which was available for RS. 5400 on battery-bhai and for which they wanted RS. 7000. I told them to skip it.

The service cost came to RS. 36,500. A couple of days later, I showed the car to a nearby battery dealer. He told me the old battery in my car (which indeed was weak but it is more than 3 years old) was a 74 AH battery. I called Autobahn to check. After an hour or so, they called back to say that was indeed the case. I went in for an Amaron once again, but damages were RS. 7800 for a battery with a 5 year warranty as opposed to RS. 8800 for a Varta battery with 2 years warranty from the dealer.

Have driven a little over 600 km since then, so am just coming up to 44,000 km.

So yes, my operating cost for the car continues to be sky high. But given the absence of alternatives, I plan to gamble on sticking with the car at least until the next service is due.

More later.
Hayek is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2015, 12:20   #174
BHPian

Default (Skoda) Superb? Not Sure - 51 months, 38k kms: 2nd Mechatronics failure repai...

Why don't you consider the Toyota Camry?
It is loaded with features some of them being first in class like power assisted steering adjustment and setting the backseat recline angle.
The facelift comes with 7 airbags which should be enough for you I suppose. The hybrid would be good but it's costlier although we get a rebate of 70k from the government.
If you don't like Japanese then that's a different issue!
Even if you don't want to buy one I would suggest you test drive one the starting of the Hybrid is something very different. It's like nothing happened !

Last edited by dean5545 : 17th May 2015 at 12:22.
dean5545 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 15:22   #175
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Skoda Superb - The Saga Continues - 5 Years, 44,000 kms

Quote:
So yes, my operating cost for the car continues to be sky high. But given the absence of alternatives, I plan to gamble on sticking with the car
That's what we did with the C220. Would've lost too much in selling it. Retaining a 5+ year old car might cost more money in upkeep (as a lot of components are wearing out), yet it's a LOT LOT cheaper than buying new.

Hold on to it. I would suggest sending her to a good independent shop for all future work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Why don't you consider the Toyota Camry?
He'll probably get about 9 lakhs for his Superb. A new Camry costs 34 lakhs in Mumbai. An additional 25 lakhs is a whole lot of money, especially when both cars are from the same segment, and the Superb betters the Camry in some areas.

A Camry will hardly be an upgrade for a Skoda Superb owner. Even if he invests that 25 lakhs, the interest income will more than take care of the Superb's upkeep, insurance, fuel costs etc.

@ Hayek: My C220 settled down to 80k a year in maintenance. I think yours will be about the same.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 06:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
That's what we did with the C220. Would've lost too much in selling it. Retaining a 5+ year old car might cost more money in upkeep (as a lot of components are wearing out), yet it's a LOT LOT cheaper than buying new.

He'll probably get about 9 lakhs for his Superb. A new Camry costs 34 lakhs in Mumbai. An additional 25 lakhs is a whole lot of money, especially when both cars are from the same segment

@ Hayek: My C220 settled down to 80k a year in maintenance. I think yours will be about the same.

Great points, @GTO. People very often forget that the first two year depreciation on cars is about 30% of value - so a new Camry costs over Rs. 5 lakhs a year in depreciation, and Rs. 3.5 lakhs a year in interest. I guess that needs to be traded off against the pain value of having an unreliable car.

However, I must agree with Dean that with the facelift, and 7airbags, the Camry comes into the consideration set. That was not the case when it had just 2 airbags.
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:39   #177
BANNED

Quote:
I plan to gamble on sticking with the car at least until the next service is due.
A gamble, my friend, is when there is uncertainty over an event happening.

But for what its worth, best of luck!

Incidentally, the Hyundai Sonata would do 80% of what the Superb does with a lot more peace of mind to make up for the 20% deficit. As I've said earlier, given your usage pattern, it's best to forget about Germans as an option.

Unless, you'd like to give me more opportunities to say "I told you so".
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:56   #178
BHPian

I think the choice is simple - if the car is 5 years old, your marginal cost is nothing

If you bought a new car for Rs. 30 lakhs from the same segment, your opportunity cost is Rs. 3 lakhs at the very least (FD rate) which means you an afford to pay upto Rs. 3 lakhs more in maintenance for your skoda superb when compared to a newer car (assuming all else is equal - fuel efficiency and comfort).

Also, remember that it is cumulative -lots of people whine about speending Rs. 50-60 k on changing wear and tear components without realizing it is actually an investment for another 30-40 k.

As long as you are sure you are not going to have a DSG failure that can set you back Rs. 6-7 lakhs, keep going. it's the rational thing to do - of course, one's ego plays games - "i told you so"s taunt you, only if you think about them.

otherwise as GTO says, keeping a 5 year old car is the best thing to do - especially a premium one.
varadha_r is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2015, 18:14   #179
BHPian

@Hayek Have you ever thought about exchanging your superb for another used car from the same segment? I mean what do second hand d segment cars of the same mileage and vintage of your superb go for these days ? I mean not more than 10 lakhs right ?? Should be plenty of choices there as well like civic, accord, crv, kizashi, sonata, camry and maybe why not a diesel superb with a manual box?

If you have trust issues with a car why not just sell it and get relief rather than continue with this mental torture.
Replacing your superb with another used d segment car, a much more reliable and easy to maintain one means you don't have to continue with the the exorbitant bills, reliability issues and doubts of sticking with the superb nor suffer enormous depreciation hit from buying a new car right now.

If you like skodas and VWs so much you can even think of this as a stop gap procedure before upgrading to the upcoming brand new passat/superb. Just keep the used car till the new superb/ passat reach here, wait a bit for any news of nasty issues, if the coast is clear trade your beater for that new superb.

You might just save a good deal of money this way.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2015 at 11:15. Reason: Spacing
nakul0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 09:31   #180
BHPian

Quote:
best of luck!

Incidentally, the Hyundai Sonata would do 80% of what the Superb does with a lot more peace of mind to make up for the 20% deficit.
Agree that the Sonata is a competent car. But it is still Rs. 30 lakhs - which is too much to spend every 5 years - trying to make a car last 6-7 years makes much more economic sense even if it involves some pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varadha_r View Post
I think the choice is simple - if the car is 5 years old, your marginal cost is nothing

Also, remember that it is cumulative -lots of people whine about speending Rs. 50-60 k on changing wear and tear components without realizing it is actually an investment for another 30-40 km
That sets out quite precisely the logic I am using

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
@Hayek Have you ever thought about exchanging your superb for another used car from the same segment?
If you have trust issues with a car why not just sell it and get relief rather than continue with this mental torture.

Replacing your superb with another used d segment car, a much more reliable and easy to maintain one means you don't have to continue with the the exorbitant bills, reliability issues and doubts of sticking with the superb nor suffer enormous depreciation hit from buying a new car right now.

You might just save a good deal of money this way.

The issue with any second hand car is the risk of "adverse selection"- that you end up with a lemon. At least on my Superb, I know what is wrong with it, and know how it has been maintained ( always at A.S.S, and with genuine parts being used). And yes, someone who bought it from me would know it's full history through this thread. Remember that even Toyota and Honda produce occasional lemons - so switching to another second hand car of similar vintage makes no sense whatsoever in my view. If I were to switch to a second hand car, it would be to move up a segment - a lightly used BMW or Mercedes sells for very little compared to a new one. But if I were to upgrade, family pressure would cause me to buy a new car, even if the rational choice would be to buy a second hand one.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote