Nice write-up.

Please share your maintence costs.
What's your annual maintence budget ?
We want numbers ( Rs ).
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 10:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Super thread, super car and some tongue in cheek humor to boot as well! Look forward to seeing more of this thread as things develop. Enjoy this stunning example of German engineering to the hilt Achtung. Happy motoring!

Rated 5 star.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 14:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Nice car that you have bought! 55K mileage is nothing, and it does look like it is build like a tank. Congrats ! It looks superb in the pics. Can you please put in more pics of the interiors? The black leather seats look in great shape

I always wanted to ask this, are the ORVM's fixed? i.e. is the outer part fixed and only the glass moves?

Quote:
Here is another picture, which I have no reason to include, from a trip to Kotagiri, in the Nilgiris:
O.T: Is this a fly-agaric mushroom? Amanita muscaria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 15:58   #19
BHPian

Achtung!!welcome back to the forum after a long time.this is a fantastic car i must sat,i did mention this last time too,
i have 2 good pictures of this car when this had clocked just 25 k kms,
you have made the most of this car,
cheers!!
nandishpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 16:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! The banana leaves being additional insurance really tickled me Congratulations on your purchase and wish you many more miles of 'stars'
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 19:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write up & a rare find !! A car with such low mileage is hard to come by, she seems to be in perfect nick. Congratulations on the purchase !! I also own one of these machines though in the 250D version & much older - 1992. Brilliant car though !!

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 20:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite simply one of the best W214s I've seen in a while. You are lucky to get such a nice one from the 1st owner.

Please keep us informed on how much servicing and repair is costing you.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 22:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Nice write-up.

Please share your maintence costs.
What's your annual maintence budget ?
We want numbers ( Rs ).
Hi JediKnight, I think you should probably allocate about 1/2 a lakh a year for things and then you should have some spare at the end of the year. I will give more details when I get back (am in the UK for 2 weeks now to see my family!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What a thread! This is a real Mercedes now, isn't it? Not those overgrown toys masquerading as them these days (I know I know, I sound like my Dad! ). You seem to have got a gem of a car, lovingly maintained by its previous owner. Wish you many many happy miles!

When you start a Mercedes ownership thread, you better be ready with tons of nice, high-resolution pics showing every aspect of the car . Waiting for some more...
More photos when I get back - I am currently in the UK for 2 weeks. I will include the engine, boot and - let me know what else you would like to see photos of ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Nice car that you have bought! 55K mileage is nothing, and it does look like it is build like a tank. Congrats ! It looks superb in the pics. Can you please put in more pics of the interiors? The black leather seats look in great shape

I always wanted to ask this, are the ORVM's fixed? i.e. is the outer part fixed and only the glass moves?
The OVRMs do fold if you push them, though they look like they are firmly attached to the body they are hinged but the hinge is hidden behind a sleeve. Both sides are electric though oddly the left hand one is a different shape to the right hand one

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th August 2011 at 16:41. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
achtung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:30   #24
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2011 at 14:33.
@tombum is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 19th August 2011, 10:54   #25
Team-BHP Support

[quote=achtung;2472854]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

The OVRMs do fold if you push them, though they look like they are firmly attached to the body they are hinged but the hinge is hidden behind a sleeve. Both sides are electric though oddly the left hand one is a different shape to the right hand one
You need to detach the trim and undo three screws - 5 min job. I did it for a w124 230E
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 10:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

One of India's iconic cars,"gamechangers" that was the W124.It ushered the Star into the indian market,indian assembled with a time-less and simple design.

Wonderful thread sir,and you its heartening to see such a beauty being taken cared off and used like its meant too.

I have seen another very well maintained W124 in bangalore,blue colour stays in the bank colony area i think.This car still turns head,saw a black one few days back here in Calcutta,this car has presence!

Its more and more difficult to get good examples of W124 these days.Do post some better pictures of the interior,and happy motoring with this classic!
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:55   #27
BHPian

Now, what a machine. It has become a rarity nowadays. Impeccably maintained.
Congrats for owning such a beauty.
We demand more snaps, particularly of the boot and the engine bay.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 13:48   #28
BHPian

Congrats on a fantastic buy! You seem to have landed a car with both less mileage and very well maintained!

If you could pls post pics in the night with the lights on in high res - that will be awesome!

This was one of the first real beautiful cars in India which I grew up drooling on and was lucky enough to drive to Goa and back on a holiday! Brings back very fond memories! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Zensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 15:22   #29
BHPian

Wow!! That's a wonderful find. I didn't really know much about the reliability issues of the new mercs until I joined tbhp. I long to own the w124 now instead of the new ones, given its superb reputation. I just hope to find a good example like you did.

Do keep us posted
singhupinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 15:39   #30
BHPian

@Achtung - first up. congratulations on your new car. This is my favorite Benz of all time as it has a masculine appeal to it than any other Mercs out there. BTW, do you drive this car daily through Brunton Road?? I tend to see a well maintained W124 going through this road everyday. And every time i see it it brings a huge smile on my face. If there are 2 colours this car looks good, one is the colour you happen to have, and the other was a mix of black and violet or purple.

Beautiful car mate

Take good care of her and driver her safe.
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote