Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 20:00   #46
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Here is the Powerhouse of the Mighty Benz, a 2.2 litre, 16 valve, fuel injected 4 cylinder petrol. It is rather dusty.

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111151-large.jpg

According to the handbook the consumption figures are:
  • Urban - 11.7 l/100km (8.5 km/l)
  • at 90 km/h - 6.6 l/100km (15.2 km/l)
  • at 120 km/h 8.2l/100km (12.2 km/l)
  • euro-mix: 8.6l/100km ( 11.6 km/l)
I find it does 8.8 km/l in Bangalore driving, with the AC on all the time. I'm going to measure what it does on the highway soon - planning to head over to Pondicherry.

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111152-large.jpg

Picture from a different angle. What is that black plastic box with the circular
black indicator that looks like a propeller with clear segments? I would like to know!

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111154-large.jpg

Here is the fuse box and some other bits and bobs. A nice feature is that the fuses are easy to get to. You open the clip on the box, and the lid comes off. Inside the lid is a handy diagram of what fuses are which

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111127-large.jpg

Here is the afore-mentioned fuse box

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111155-large.jpg

ABS thingy. This was not the first car to have ABS - that was the Mercedes Benz S class

And finally, I am curious:

My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review-110920111128-large.jpg

Can you tell me what this mysterious Bosch box with a blue button is please?? Thank you!
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:23   #47
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Cannot thank you enough for the detailed pics and the review. I am rating this thread 5 stars !!

I am also keen to know how much would the yearly insurance premium be for the car?
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 16:54   #48
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung View Post

back door (I was asked for photos so here you go!) - has an opening compartment for goodness knows what, wood strip and electric window switch. The door handle is nice solid metal
Is the opening compartment for the ashtray?? I was just wondering if i had seen it in some other car dont remember which one though.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th February 2013 at 15:36. Reason: fixed quotes
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 23:35   #49
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
Cannot thank you enough for the detailed pics and the review. I am rating this thread 5 stars !!

I am also keen to know how much would the yearly insurance premium be for the car?
My insurance is Rs 13 000, fortunately my insurance company (Tata / Zurich, who I am impressed with so far though have not claimed) took into account my no-claims from the UK
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011, 23:45   #50
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

[quote=350biker;2507192]
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung View Post




back door (I was asked for photos so here you go!) - has an opening compartment for goodness knows what, wood strip and electric window switch. The door handle is nice solid metal

Is the opening compartment for the ashtray?? I was just wondering if i had seen it in some other car dont remember which one though.
I think it is a useful cubby-hole, not sure what for though!
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 21:51   #51
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Can you tell me what this mysterious Bosch box with a blue button is please?? Thank you!
To answer my own question, it is the diagnostic terminal. Not sure what the blue button is for though

Last edited by khan_sultan : 12th February 2013 at 15:37. Reason: fixed quotes
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 16:10   #52
BHPian
 
350biker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nasik
Posts: 161
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

I know i am sounding completely stupid asking you this question but i just could not resist asking you.

Are there any warranty / guarantee issues if the benz is serviced by a local mechanic and is then later on taken to the authorized showroom ??
350biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 23:36   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350biker View Post
I know i am sounding completely stupid asking you this question but i just could not resist asking you.

Are there any warranty / guarantee issues if the benz is serviced by a local mechanic and is then later on taken to the authorized showroom ??
Yes, you might face warranty issues unless of course if you don't open your mouth or its not clearly evident that the car has been serviced at a local garage
I think this will be true for any car and not specific to Benz.
floyd.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 00:46   #54
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

A neighbour of mine owned a silver W124 E220, I remember, way back during my school-days. It is a wonderful car. I had the opportunity to get a ride in it. The ride was supple, the interior felt solid and well-put-together. Overall, the car had quite some presence on the road. It looks very stately and classy. Has a very old-fashioned-gentlemanly character about it that no new Mercedes has.

I love this car. And it looks so mature and complete, I've begun to wonder why Mercedes has changed so much, when they'd actually gotten the formula right back in the 1990s.

You've got a gem of an automobile. Take care of it. Treasure it. And pass it on to your kin, when the time is right. It's that kind of car. Not the sort you'd sell off to some sod and then find it at a dump yard 10 years later.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 22:58   #55
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You've got a gem of an automobile. Take care of it. Treasure it. And pass it on to your kin, when the time is right. It's that kind of car. Not the sort you'd sell off to some sod and then find it at a dump yard 10 years later.
Thank you very much - I'm off to Pondicherry this weekend, looking forward to cruising down the highway (leaving very, very early in the morning to make sure I do enjoy it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Yes, you might face warranty issues unless of course if you don't open your mouth or its not clearly evident that the car has been serviced at a local garage
I think this will be true for any car and not specific to Benz.
Yes - generally if you have a manufacturer's warranty from when you bought the car, it only applies if you only service the car at an approved garage. If it has not had its regular services done at an approved garage your warranty is over.

For a more 'mature' car like mine, specialist garages are probably better because they have the knowledge and experience to deal with the car. The garage where I get this serviced has a good stock of Benz parts so can fix things quickly (usually).

For example, there was a ticking from the fan belt and it was quickly diagnosed as the belt tensioner, which was replaced straight away for Rs 2 600 if I remember right. I guess that the labour at an official dealer would be more and you would have to book it in next week, though of course you would get a comfy chair and a nice cup of tea in their glossy showroom! Though strangely I don't really want to contribute to their facilities for selling new cars...

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st September 2011 at 23:41. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 11:12   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 145
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung View Post
Attachment 607817

Picture from a different angle. What is that black plastic box with the circular
black indicator that looks like a propeller with clear segments? I would like to know!
I think thats the air filter housing which houses the air filter within it
floyd.bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2011, 13:28   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 665 Times
Default

With all the rain and slush in Bangalore, even the not-so-clean passenger floor mat is unbelievably clean. You are car-proud! with all that black, cleaning must be a pain!
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 22:44   #58
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
With all the rain and slush in Bangalore, even the not-so-clean passenger floor mat is unbelievably clean. You are car-proud! with all that black, cleaning must be a pain!
It's pretty tough for my driver all right
achtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 19:12   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
VeluM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 665 Times
Default

Hey Achtung, you selling your car? Relocating within India or back to England? Hope you continue to treat us to your witty posts, wherever you do.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:16   #60
BHPian
 
achtung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 26
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Hey Achtung, you selling your car? Relocating within India or back to England? Hope you continue to treat us to your witty posts, wherever you do.
Hi VeluM, yes - relocating to the UK, a bit earlier than planned, so my car is for sale (see the classifieds). A shame - I would have liked to drive it around for a few more years! I think team-bhp is fantastic and will surely keep in touch. Thank you for your kind words!
achtung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
W124 - Mercedes E220 or E250D? Which would you buy? GTO The Indian Car Scene 119 6th June 2016 15:24
W124 Mercedes E220 ownership review E250Dreamcar Long-Term Ownership Reviews 30 21st August 2015 21:37
Mercedes E220 (W124 series) setup Raja In-Car Entertainment 38 21st June 2013 09:47
W124 Mercedes benz E220 ignition coil msaudf Technical Stuff 2 18th May 2009 20:43


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks