Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 27th January 2012, 01:22   #61
BHPian

Default Re: My E220, W124 Benz, in Bangalore - long term review

Achtung, that's a beautiful Mercedes. I consider the 124 to be the absolute king of Mercedes' lineup since the 80's, short of the magnificent 140. Keep her well. I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but here's a link to my car - I just bought her, and can't resist having true enthusiasts take a look

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pped-w124.html (The story of true love, and a pre-worshipped W124)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You've got a gem of an automobile. Take care of it. Treasure it. And pass it on to your kin, when the time is right. It's that kind of car. Not the sort you'd sell off to some sod and then find it at a dump yard 10 years later.
Beautifully said. She should be cared for and made to last a lifetime, and be passed on with a heavy heart.
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 18:40   #62
BHPian

Achtung,glad to read of your experiences with the best car ever made by Daimler Benz. The Merc 124 should have been classified as an MPV or still better, battle tank..weapon of choice for the daily battles on Indian roads and traffic.My daily driver is a 1994/E300D,with a not very common manual transmission...I will not part with it for anything in the world.
An absolutely reliable car with straightforward mechanicals, rock solid ride over any kind of surface, excellent clearance for rough roads and inexpensive to maintain.The type 606/3000cc /6cyl/24 valve engine mated to a manual transmission is awesome... a silky smooth torquey engine.This 18 year old diesel can give most modern day diesels a run for the money.
Over the years,we've always had Mercedes cars in the family, starting with a 1960/190Db bought brand new and imported from East Africa in 1961. 110's and 111's,115's 116's and 126's.Besides the E300D, I also use a / 124/1987/300E/manual.
BUT modern day Mercedes cars leave me cold.. electronic gizmos that will leave you stranded, astronimical service bills and dealers who would make excellent undertakers. I may buy a modern day Merc if they ever made one like the 124.
Achtung, maybe you'd buy another 124 back in England, how about a 124/E500??
Cheers,
SG
sunilgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:02   #63
BHPian

All expats have an Innova and they are very expensive, I thought-

You wouldn't happen to be staying at palm meadows would you.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 00:29   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung View Post
Hi VeluM, yes - relocating to the UK, a bit earlier than planned, so my car is for sale (see the classifieds). A shame - I would have liked to drive it around for a few more years! I think team-bhp is fantastic and will surely keep in touch. Thank you for your kind words!
Hi Achtung, thanks for the thoroughly entertaining and informative thread! I'm looking to buy a spare "runaround" car for the house to replace our poor neglected Ford Ikon, and am considering none other than a w124 Mercedes! It's comfortable, looks great, built well, and can be had for under 4L- a perfect formula. Has yours been sold? Would be very interested to know where you researched during your buying process and some of the niggles and common problems you experienced both during trials and ownership.
nirav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 12:47   #65
BHPian

Hello Niraj

Well I think it would be a good runaround, as long as you are realistic and go into it with open eyes.

The key thing is to take a look at a few of them to get a feel for the market, and I would recommend paying more for a good one.

Then you need a local garage who has experience and more importantly, spares. I found Car Mechs in Koramangala, Bangalore, are good.

You can find seriously abused examples, so take your time over it.

Pulling up to a hotel / restaurant / friends place in a big Benz is good fun!

Hope it goes well for you
achtung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:39   #66
BHPian

Awesome review achtung. You were lucky to get a well maintained one and you have maintained it even better.

That for me is one of the greatest cars ever built. I so want to buy one someday.

If you had left India a couple of years later, would have seriously wanted to take this one off your hands.

How did you find driving it in Bangalore traffic, especially during rush hour, or was that privilege reserved for your driver. This is my one concern with a bigger car in Bangalore.
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 19:45   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I think it does 15 kmpl on the highway
I am sure you are still enjoying the joy of owning this car, now I am in your situation, still toying with the idea more so toying because of the recent price hike in petrol. The dilemma being, if I do buy this magnificent car, it will be primarily for the pleasure of cruising on highways, will drive in the city as well, but since its long distance cruising I am looking at, will E220 make practical sense or should I look at E250 D only? Frankly l have never owned a diesel car till date and I love being a petrohead. That is a very bad dilemma to be in.

BTW does your car really give you 15 kms/ltr on the highways and at what speeds. My Corolla gives me not more than 14 kms/ltr on long drives for speeds between 110-130 kms/hr, every time I check. And in the city it gives 9, so there isn't much difference on fuel costs at least. Might as well muster up some courage.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 21:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

What a lovely thread! Thank you for sharing.

That car of yours is truly a big fat dreamboat.

Have you sold it yet?

Im sure, looking at it, that there will be many takers- you'll probably be fending them off in droves at your front door!

Cheers!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 02:37   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post

BTW does your car really give you 15 kms/ltr on the highways and at what speeds. My Corolla gives me not more than 14 kms/ltr on long drives for speeds between 110-130 kms/hr, every time I check. And in the city it gives 9, so there isn't much difference on fuel costs at least. Might as well muster up some courage.
Hi Zulfi, those figures were right

If you can afford it, go for the petrol Benz. The 250 diesel is a slug. Modern diesel Benzes, though, are much, much better and have amazing fuel economy.
achtung is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2012, 10:51   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Zulfi, those figures were right

If you can afford it, go for the petrol Benz. The 250 diesel is a slug. Modern diesel Benzes, though, are much, much better and have amazing fuel economy.
Thank you for your reply, you made my decision easy on this, I always wanted the E220. In any case E250s are not available in the market in Bangalore as of now, but even the E220s hardly 2 to 3 that are available are not up to the mark. Even the price is not very settled, have no idea what I should pay for them, Infact the price asked for by some sellers seems to be more than what it was 2 years back. Can you help me with some leads here if you have come across a good example for sale, please let me know. The knowledge you have and how you maintain your car inspires me and some day when I buy it I will pester you with a lot of questions, I hope you will not mind.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:06   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, you made my decision easy on this, I always wanted the E220. In any case E250s are not available in the market in Bangalore as of now, but even the E220s hardly 2 to 3 that are available are not up to the mark. Even the price is not very settled, have no idea what I should pay for them, Infact the price asked for by some sellers seems to be more than what it was 2 years back. Can you help me with some leads here if you have come across a good example for sale, please let me know. The knowledge you have and how you maintain your car inspires me and some day when I buy it I will pester you with a lot of questions, I hope you will not mind.
Hi Zulfi, I have came across a very well maintained E220, 1997 model, run approx 80000 Km, KA01 reg. Silver, Leather interiors and alloys. 2nd owner ( since 2005). Quoted for Rs.4,75,000 not negotiable. Also the owner charges Rs.750 just to take a test drive Please PM me if interested. So far it is the best example I have ever seen. The owner is a true gentleman.

In general, I don't think you can get more than 6kmpl in city from E220.
My E250 Diesel gives me 11 kmpl in city with very good driving conditions - I am on Bangalore roads when they are empty - 6 am in morning and 4 pm in evenings. I get 18 kmpl on highways, always very gentle and smooth driving. Hence I think you won't get more than 12 kmpl on highways with E220. Just a few thoughts !!
Ravindra M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 12:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
E220, 1997 model, run approx 80000 Km, KA01 reg. Silver, Leather interiors and alloys. 2nd owner ( since 2005). Quoted for Rs.4,75,000 not negotiable. Also the owner charges Rs.750 just to take a test drive Please PM me if interested. So far it is the best example I have ever seen. The owner is a true gentleman.

In general, I don't think you can get more than 6kmpl in city from E220.
My E250 Diesel gives me 11 kmpl in city with very good driving conditions - I am on Bangalore roads when they are empty - 6 am in morning and 4 pm in evenings. I get 18 kmpl on highways, always very gentle and smooth driving. Hence I think you won't get more than 12 kmpl on highways with E220. Just a few thoughts !!
Hi Ravindra,

Thank you for your response, its really nice to see another passionate owner of W124. IMO the price quoted is simply out of the league and no matter how well it is maintained one needs to spend some (in this car more) money once you buy, and at that price, just not my budget, the prices I'v seen so far, there is a 1996 blue with basic interiors run little more than 100000kms, 2nd owner (for last 2 years), 1st was a company, I was not impressed just because of the interiors and personally don't like dark blue, he was prepared to come down to Rs. 2.8 L. Another one is a single owner 1996 silver with black leather interiors, run 70000kms, it is with a broker, its UP number but used only in Bangalore by a company, it has full service history also (it is claimed I am yet see the car) and that may come down to 2.5 L (he came down to 2.8 on phone), but I will need to spend another 80 K for Karnataka RTax. This is my market search till date.

About the mileage even I had my apprehensions, as you said, I am not expecting much from it, but in these times of petrol prices I have to come to terms on a lots of issues. I am sure you will be able to help. My concerns are;
1. Can I give-up my regular car (I have a 2005 Corolla), and make E220 a daily drive (I drive hardly 700 kms/month in city about 3 times a week max, but if it rains it becomes a daily drive), my total drive in a year all included is 12000kms. It gives me 9kms/ltr in city and 13-14kms/ltr on highways.

2. Unlike you I am a bit of 'take the car to extremes', its like, my car which has done 90,000kms as on date, peaks out at 165kms/hr (could be just my car), and I don't like that, normally I like to settle at 140kms/hr on the highways (traffic permitting), and this car is happy up to 120-130kms/hr, also once I cross 120kms/hr consistently the mileage drops badly. What I absolutely don't like is the ride quality at high speeds, the weightlessness of it (I used to own a Astra, it was much superior to Corolla but had a terrible engine). What I really love about my car is the responsive engine, in the city and on highway (up to 120kms/hr that is). I am not a very impatient driver, but don't like to be blocked. I wanted this car to take me beyond this threshold, wrong expectations? I know E220 is capable of lot more than a Corolla, but considering its age, you have to tell me. The question is will E220 suit my kind of driving style? I agree I am not a very gentle driver.

Please rescue me here, I am obsessed about the W124, but have lots of questions needing answers.
Old 18th June 2012, 13:02   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ravindra,

Thank you for your response, its really nice to see another passionate owner of W124. IMO the price quoted is simply out of the league and no matter how well it is maintained one needs to spend some (in this car more) money once you buy, and at that price, just not my budget, the prices I'v seen so far, there is a 1996 blue with basic interiors run little more than 100000kms, 2nd owner (for last 2 years), 1st was a company, I was not impressed just because of the interiors and personally don't like dark blue, he was prepared to come down to Rs. 2.8 L. Another one is a single owner 1996 silver with black leather interiors, run 70000kms, it is with a broker, its UP number but used only in Bangalore by a company, it has full service history also (it is claimed I am yet see the car) and that may come down to 2.5 L (he came down to 2.8 on phone), but I will need to spend another 80 K for Karnataka RTax. This is my market search till date.

About the mileage even I had my apprehensions, as you said, I am not expecting much from it, but in these times of petrol prices I have to come to terms on a lots of issues. I am sure you will be able to help. My concerns are;
1. Can I give-up my regular car (I have a 2005 Corolla), and make E220 a daily drive (I drive hardly 700 kms/month in city about 3 times a week max, but if it rains it becomes a daily drive), my total drive in a year all included is 12000kms. It gives me 9kms/ltr in city and 13-14kms/ltr on highways.

2. Unlike you I am a bit of 'take the car to extremes', its like, my car which has done 90,000kms as on date, peaks out at 165kms/hr (could be just my car), and I don't like that, normally I like to settle at 140kms/hr on the highways (traffic permitting), and this car is happy up to 120-130kms/hr, also once I cross 120kms/hr consistently the mileage drops badly. What I absolutely don't like is the ride quality at high speeds, the weightlessness of it (I used to own a Astra, it was much superior to Corolla but had a terrible engine). What I really love about my car is the responsive engine, in the city and on highway (up to 120kms/hr that is). I am not a very impatient driver, but don't like to be blocked. I wanted this car to take me beyond this threshold, wrong expectations? I know E220 is capable of lot more than a Corolla, but considering its age, you have to tell me. The question is will E220 suit my kind of driving style? I agree I am not a very gentle driver.

Please rescue me here, I am obsessed about the W124, but have lots of questions needing answers.

Hi Zulfi,

Someone told me "the cheapest Mercedes is the costliest!". I believe in it. The Silver one which I am talking about ( please note I have no personal stake in its sale ) is the best one I have ever seen. I think everthing which could be done has been done to refurbish it - all the vacuum systems, fuel systems and suspension job done, tyres, batteries are new - I have seen the bills of more than 2 lakhs at an independant garage ! For a moment, strange thoughts came to my mind to sell my E250 Diesel and buy this one !!

I think if you could get an example like this which is most likely highly reliable, then you have a replacement for Corolla. Otherwise please do keep your Corolla as reliable daily driver and use W124 for special occasions.

I have spend close to 1.75 lakhs on my E250 Diesel to bring it to this shape. It is always ready to travel anywhere now. But still I am keeping my old, reliable, faithful Ikon..... just in case !!
Ravindra M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 13:49   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
Hi Zulfi,

Someone told me "the cheapest Mercedes is the costliest!". I believe in it. The Silver one which I am talking about ( please note I have no personal stake in its sale ) is the best one I have ever seen. I think everthing which could be done has been done to refurbish it - all the vacuum systems, fuel systems and suspension job done, tyres, batteries are new - I have seen the bills of more than 2 lakhs at an independant garage ! For a moment, strange thoughts came to my mind to sell my E250 Diesel and buy this one !!

I think if you could get an example like this which is most likely highly reliable, then you have a replacement for Corolla. Otherwise please do keep your Corolla as reliable daily driver and use W124 for special occasions.

I have spend close to 1.75 lakhs on my E250 Diesel to bring it to this shape. It is always ready to travel anywhere now. But still I am keeping my old, reliable, faithful Ikon..... just in case !!
I had that in mind as you said, a cheap one will not be the best buy, even considering I will not have to spend any money at all, it is a lakh too much for me, even at 3.75 I could have taken it. I know this may not happen but I wouldn't mind a fair exchange, considering my car will fetch about 4 - 4.25 L. I know it does not concern you but just my thought. Nevertheless I am curious about this car now. I cannot have 2 cars, parking issues.

Also what is your opinion on - will it suit my driving style, is it ok to drive it consistently at 140kms (it will not be very consistent considering our road conditions), but I tend to stretch a bit. And how much do you spend on a yearly basis on your car.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:32   #75
BHPian

Hi Zulfi,

Regarding the price, I will leave it to you. But you also would like to know the cost of maintenance - let me be very honest to you. If one gets a W124 with condition ranging from average to somewhat good, he needs to be prepared to spend anything between 1.5 to 3 lakhs for a good refurbishment as upfront costs. Thereafter the maintenance will be approx 15K to 30K per annum depending on the surprises the car throws to large extent and one's luck ( incl. finding a right mechanic who does not exploit ) to certain extent. Of course one can still run the car with unsorted issues, but then whats the point ? I have budgeted around 60K p.a. for maintenance for my E250.

An elite gentleman once told me, even though a W124 may cost 5 lakhs, it still behaves as Rs. 50 Lakh car when it comes for operations and maintenance !

Regarding the driving style, W124 is meant for cruising and most probably to be driven in. It is not a car which can compete with BMW in that department. It has that kind of mature aura and that elegance very few can understand and appreciate - but still 140 kmph should not be a problem for E220 ! Its roots are in the country with autobahns.
Ravindra M is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote