Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2014, 11:08   #226
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Faced a peculiar problem while returning from office on Monday night. I was cruising at around 60 kmph at 1800 rpm in 4th gear when suddenly the accelerator went dead and felt as though someone was pressing the break mildly. Tried pressing the throttle but nothing happened. I immediately down shifted to 3rd gear and the accelerator came back to life. After driving for another 10 km, I was at second gear and the problem occurred again. This time I downshifted to 1st gear and the issue disappeared. The problem never occurred thereafter. I drove around 85 km yesterday and around 45 km this morning and didn't observe the issue. What could have caused the issue?
I observed this phenomena in my recent trip from Blr- kol, after I filled diesel from some place in Andhra. I felt as if the car blew its turbo! Meaning, sudden power loss! Downshifting was of no use. There were no checklight's glowing on the dash. Continued driving till I reached a good IOC pump. Refilled diesel and the car came back to life after driving for some 15-20 kms. Hence I concluded that it was probably the adulterated fuel that caused this to happen.

The above situation did not re-occur!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:14   #227
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I observed this phenomena in my recent trip from Blr- kol, after I filled diesel from some place in Andhra. I felt as if the car blew its turbo! Meaning, sudden power loss! Downshifting was of no use. There were no checklight's glowing on the dash. Continued driving till I reached a good IOC pump. Refilled diesel and the car came back to life after driving for some 15-20 kms. Hence I concluded that it was probably the adulterated fuel that caused this to happen.

The above situation did not re-occur!
In your case there was power loss and the issue went off after refilling diesel. In my case, there was zero power when the issue occurred. The throttle was dead and there was a very mild breaking action too. It came back to life only after down shifting. Also the diesel was filled around 4 days back before the issue occurred.

I was planning to take the car to service center but the issue is not reproducible now. I don't think the service guys will be able to do anything until unless the issue is reproducible. Sometimes they can't find out the exact cause even if the issue is reproducible .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 24th September 2014 at 11:24.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:31   #228
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
In your case there was power loss and the issue went off after refilling diesel. In my case, there was zero power when the issue occurred. The throttle was dead and there was a very mild breaking action too. It came back to life only after down shifting. Also the diesel was filled around 4 days back before the issue occurred.

I was planning to take the car to service center but the issue is not reproducible now. I don't think the service guys will be able to do anything until unless the issue is reproducible. Sometimes they can't diagnose the exact cause even if the issue is reproducible .
Okay, in my case also, at that moment, I felt that the car lost power and died for a fraction of a second.

Anyway, please follow the steps and see if you're facing such an issue!

When idling the car, with the bonnet open (ideally in a very quiet area) press the throttle very very gently but frequently, it should be so gentle that the rpm's don't increase more than 100-300 (tacho indicated)rpms.
For eg, my car idles at 800rpm, so when I tried doing this, I ensured not to cross 1100rpm on the tacho! Anyway, you would be listening out for any sort of "kissssk kissssk" sound when you step on the throttle pedal or leave it. Hear very carefully, you cannot miss this sound.

If you are getting this sound, I'm afraid its one of your injectors (the i20 getting the shittier Delphi system, unlike the Verna with the Bosch) that has an issue, most probably its plunger is defective. You will have to replace it.

You could choose not to replace it, its not that the car will stall and wont be drive able, but if its under warranty, get it changed. The change in sound can also be felt by touching the fuel pipe connecting to the injector.

After you have detected the sound, have the HASS connect the G-Scan and run a diagnostics on it. While they check it, you could also ask them to update the update the software for the ecu as it is available for the i20. After the update, the car feels a lot smoother and powerful.

Before you do any of the above, please ensure that the lever on top of you diesel filter is as hard as a rock!! I get my diesel filter changed at every 5k kms, so many a times the junior mechs don't prime it well. Upon informing the senior guys pump it till the level is rock hard!!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 24th September 2014 at 11:39.
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:46   #229
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
When idling the car, with the bonnet open (ideally in a very quiet area) press the throttle very very gently but frequently, it should be so gentle that the rpm's don't increase more than 100-300 (tacho indicated)rpms.
For eg, my car idles at 800rpm, so when I tried doing this, I ensured not to cross 1100rpm on the tacho! Anyway, you would be listening out for any sort of "kissssk kissssk" sound when you step on the throttle pedal or leave it. Hear very carefully, you cannot miss this sound.

If you are getting this sound, I'm afraid its one of your injectors (the i20 getting the shittier Delphi system, unlike the Verna with the Bosch) that has an issue, most probably its plunger is defective. You will have to replace it.
Thanks for the useful information. I'll try this experiment tonight after going home.

Quote:
You could choose not to replace it, its not that the car will stall and wont be drive able, but if its under warranty, get it changed. The change in sound can also be felt by touching the fuel pipe connecting to the injector.
The car is not under warranty. The odo stands at 99,000 km.

Quote:
After you have detected the sound, have the HASS connect the G-Scan and run a diagnostics on it. While they check it, you could also ask them to update the update the software for the ecu as it is available for the i20. After the update, the car feels a lot smoother and powerful.
Should I ask them to perform the above experiment while the G-Scan is connected? Is the update available for the old i20s too?
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 11:55   #230
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Should I ask them to perform the above experiment while the G-Scan is connected? Is the update available for the old i20s too?
No, please don't tell them anything initially, as your car is not under warranty.

To be very honest with you, if the plunger is defective, you will still not see any errors on the G-Scan. The reason why I'm asking you to get a scan done is, that if there are any other pressure related issues, those will be caught by the scanner.

Once you're done with the scanner, you could then tell them that you're hearing some weird sounds "AFTER THE FILTER CHANGE" and it was non existent before. ( this only to grab their attention)

The update is available for the u2 1.4crdi 6speed 2012 and post that models. Not sure if your's a pre or post 2012.

Also, Dinesh at Advaith Bannerghatta has left and is now in Dubai. So if you go there you'll have to speak to someone else! AFAIK he was the only knowledgeable guy in that WS!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 12:08   #231
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Shrey, thanks for the information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
The update is available for the u2 1.4crdi 6speed 2012 and post that models. Not sure if your's a pre or post 2012.
Mine is a 2011 model. So I assume that the update is not available for my car.

Quote:
Also, Dinesh at Advaith Bannerghatta has left and is now in Dubai. So if you go there you'll have to speak to someone else! AFAIK he was the only knowledgeable guy in that WS!
Dinesh was the SA for my first three services after which I shifted to Advaith, ORR. Vikram at Advaith, ORR is pretty knowledgeable and will contact him for this. Wonder what Dinesh is doing in Dubai!
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2014, 22:05   #232
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Anyway, you would be listening out for any sort of "kissssk kissssk" sound when you step on the throttle pedal or leave it. Hear very carefully, you cannot miss this sound.

If you are getting this sound, I'm afraid its one of your injectors (the i20 getting the shittier Delphi system, unlike the Verna with the Bosch) that has an issue, most probably its plunger is defective. You will have to replace it.
Tried this experiment now but not hearing any such sound. I'll mention about the issue to SA during the next service which will be done shortly.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 09:34   #233
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Tried this experiment now but not hearing any such sound. I'll mention about the issue to SA during the next service which will be done shortly.
That's good news then!! Injectors are very costly!

What about the diesel filter pump lever? Was it rock hard?

Please do update if you can find the root cause!
ssjr0498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 09:41   #234
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
That's good news then!! Injectors are very costly!

What about the diesel filter pump lever? Was it rock hard?

Please do update if you can find the root cause!
Yes, it was hard. I'll mention about the issue during next service. But I highly doubt if they will be able to find the root cause since the issue is not reproducible.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 12:37   #235
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

The car has completed 1 lakh km . Serviced at Advaith Hyundai, ORR yesterday. There were no complaints. I mentioned about the issue where the accelerator went dead which I have mentioned in the previous page. The issue happened only once. SA checked for any error codes but didn't find any. He also checked the condition of injectors, fuel lines, etc but didn't find out any issues. He said that bad fuel would have caused the issue.

The service cost breakup:

1. Mag Wheel Weights - 101.30
2. Engine Oil - 1430.11
3. A/C Neutralizer - 950.00
4. Consumables - 175.00
5. Pad Kit - Front Disc Brake - 1640.78
6. Filter Cartridge - 1376.63
7. Service Kit - Oil Filter - 363.71

Labor and Services:
1. Wheel Balancing - 420.00
2. Wheel Alignment - 530.00
3. Periodic Maintenance Service - 1265.00
4. Rear Brake Shoes Cleaning - 205.00
5. Brake Pads Replacement - 275.00
6. Caliper Pin Greasing - 190.00
7. Filter - Fuel - 154.00

Tax - ~1300

Total - Rs.10347/-

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st October 2014 at 12:39.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 12:42   #236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,357
Thanked: 13,312 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
The car has completed 1 lakh km. Serviced at Advaith Hyundai, ORR yesterday. There were no complaints.
Congratulations on reaching the milestone. Wishing you many more.

Good to see the car being taken care well by Hyundai. I can relate to that excitement of seeing '100000' kms on the odometer. How much time did it take btw?

Where are the pictures if the odometer and the car?

EDIT: Do update the thread title!

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 13:59   #237
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

1 lakh km update

It was a fuss free journey until now. The car didn't face any major problem. The few minor issues faced were promptly rectified by the Hyundai service center.

Services:

The total service costs:
1. 1st service @ 5000 km - 0
2. 2nd service @ 10K km - Rs.2506/-
3. 3rd service @ 20K km - Rs.5152/-
4. 4th service @ 30K km - Rs.5917/-
5. 5th service @ 40K km - Rs.6076/-
6. 6th service @ 50K km - Rs.6323/-
7. 7th service @ 60K km - Rs.8751/-
8. 8th service @ 70K km - Rs.9987/-
9. 9th service @ 80K km - Rs.8719/-
10.10th service @ 90K km - Rs.8465/-
11. 11th service @ 1L km - Rs. 10347/-

The first three services were carried out at Advaith Hyundai, Bannerghatta road whereas rest of the services were at Advaith Hyundai, ORR.

Issues faced until now:

1. Engine misfired twice at 30K km: A problem was found out in one of the main wiring. The wiring was replaced under warranty and the issue was resolved.

2. Engine knocking sound at 1000 rpm at 70K km: A 20 digit code in the ECU which controls the fuel injection was reset during the diesel filter replacement and this was the root cause for the problem.The issue was resolved.

3. Front passenger seat rattling at some positions: This issue is present right from the day of the delivery of the car. The rattling sound appears only at a particular position and if no one is sitting on it. The issue is not resolved until now. The temporary fix is to change the position of the seat.

4. Hyundai could have provided better under-body protection for this car. I had a nasty incident with a stone which is reported in the other thread.

Upgrades:

No major upgrades are done to the car. All are minor upgrades. Majority of the spending was on the detailing products .

Lights:
The stock headlamps of old-gen i20 are very weak. I replaced them with Osram Nightbreakers. It's working absolutely fine after 1.4 years and 60K km. A set of fog lamps were added last November and they are working fine.

Horns:
The car came with OEM dual horn setup. This was not sufficient for the kind of traffic/people I encounter on roads. I rarely use horns but when I use, it has to be loud enough to grab the attention of truckers, etc. The OEM horns were replaced with Bosch Symphony. It conked off after serving for around 10 months. Later Roots Windtone replaced Bosch which served for a year. Now I have installed Minda trumpets. Its serving well after 4 months of installation. There were no wiring modifications done for installing these horns since the car came with dual horn setup from the factory.

Tires:
The car came with Apollo Accelers which served very well for first 58K kms. They were replaced with Yokohama A-drives. They are still going strong after running for 42K kms. I have taken both Accelers and A-Drives to God forbidden places and both have performed very well. While the Accelers had only one puncture in it's lifetime, A-Drives already had 4-5 punctures.

3D Mats:
Its almost 3 years since 3D mats are installed. The driver side mat started deteriorating just after 4-5 months of usage. I'm still using it only for the sake of grip it provides, else would have throw it away. It's not worth the amount according to me.

Dolphin seat covers:
I got these artificial leather covers as soon as the car was purchased and it has really served well. It hasn't shown any signs of ageing. It's very easy to clean, does not sweat during summers and gives nice looks. This is one of the best accessory I have purchased for the car.

Detailing:
I was just washing the car regularly during the first year of the ownership. I was least bothered about the minute details like swirl marks, hairline scratches, etc. I then started reading very good reviews about 3M car care and hence took a 1 year package from them. Therefore the detailing was taken care by 3M during the second year of ownership. It was then the detailing bug caught me and started doing the experiments by myself. I belong to the OCD group now

Other points:
1. Except the passenger seat rattle explained above, there are no rattles from any part of the car.
2. All buttons are strong and sturdy. No buttons have come apart or showing signs of ageing.
3. The creamy CRDi engine is still butter smooth. It feels like a new engine. It never complains for power at any speeds.
4. FE hasn't changed over the time. Have been getting 16-18 kmpl in city limits and 20-22 kmpl in highways.
5. Running on stock clutch.
6. The AC vents adjuster is very delicate and breaks even if utmost care is taken while using it. Have replaced thrice under warranty.
7. K&N air filter was added at 89K km.

To sum it up, I absolutely enjoy driving this car. It has never let me down anywhere with any niggle/issue. I have taken it to some of the toughest terrains (sedan/hatchback standards) in Dakshina Kannada district and it has never disappointed me anywhere. It has been a very reliable workhorse for me until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congratulations on reaching the milestone. Wishing you many more.

Good to see the car being taken care well by Hyundai. I can relate to that excitement of seeing '100000' kms on the odometer. How much time did it take btw?
Thanks Anurag. It took 3.3 years.

Quote:
Where are the pictures if the odometer and the car?
I have captured the odometer pics in my camera which my friend has taken. I'll post it once he returns my camera this weekend.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 1st October 2014 at 14:16.
guyfrmblr is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 20:11   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,256 Times
Default

Congrats Vinay. Yours is the first i20 diesel I know of to have crossed a lakh mark. Also happy to hear that the heart of the car is running trouble free. Gives a lot of confidence to people like me who are still at 56k kms
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 21:49   #239
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congrats Vinay. Yours is the first i20 diesel I know of to have crossed a lakh mark. Also happy to hear that the heart of the car is running trouble free. Gives a lot of confidence to people like me who are still at 56k kms
Thanks Sagar. The heart of the car still feels brand new. There is absolutely no change in engine note, pick up and fuel efficiency. It's as smooth as when it was brought out of showroom. I casually asked my SA about the characteristics of CRDi engines after 1 lakh km. He mentioned that most of them stop coming to the authorized service centers once the car is out of warranty. He has come across some i20s that have crossed 1 lakh kms which are performing well without any issues. One particular i20 which he services has crossed 2 lakh kms.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 09:24   #240
BHPian
 
ssjr0498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Blr-Ccu
Posts: 642
Thanked: 118 Times
Default re: My Black Beauty: 6-Speed Hyundai i20 Sportz CRDi. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
1 lakh km update

5. Running on stock clutch.
Explains your driving style!!! Didn't know that Hyundai Clutches would also last so long! Have driven a Honda with OE clutch till 1.46Lakh km's!
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai i20 CRDI Sportz - 1 year ownership story, and still counting with SMILES PassionateDrive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 43 20th May 2013 17:28
TD'd- New i20 sportz crdi (6 speed) jagxf Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 6th October 2011 10:03
Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol) My dark grey beauty - One Month Update Delhiwarrior Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 26 24th July 2011 11:06


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks