Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th September 2006, 11:46   #16
Angry 9 months 6500 kms on swift

I am writing this review after a longish ownership. I will try my best to be honest and straight forward about my review on the car. I have a blue swift zxi. For the first three months i was pretty much driving it only in the city allowing the engine to settle down. After the first 1000 kms went on a couple of trips to mysore.
My first long trip was from bangalore to tekkady a good 500 kms. Started at 6.30 morning. Hosur road was kind enough. I parked the at 9.50 for breakfast in salem(saravana bhavan). I was actually faster than safari dicor, a honda crv & a little slowish optra. Since the road was good i could do 140 on the clock. No rattlying or bumping. I was in control all the time. After a good breakfast and hot coffee continued the onward journey. the sun getting into the car the temp set at 18.0 degree was doing the job. I stopped in theni for lunch at 1.0 pm. Relaxed a bit and started onward from there half hour later.This time i was driving comparably slower. Reached tekkady around 3.30 pm. after my camping here i continued my second leg from tekkady to munnar. A distance of 180 kms (100% ghat section). Even though i was geared for this part was especially tiring for me. The first 10 kms of the road (sorry i should say no road) took me 1 hour and I still had a good 170 kms in front of me. Started picking up speed on the winding roads and believe me swift was handling like a dream. NO lack of power and steering very nimble. Reached munnar around 4pm. I was in munnar for three days going round the hills and scenic locations. On the fifth day started from munnar for a visit to coimbatore. No hassels in this leg of the journey. Decent road average speed. After a couple of days stay here started from coimbatore to bangalore. It was a sunday and i expected heavy traffic. So i started early around 12.30 am. This time i decided i would take the mettur route upto darmapuri. 3.30 i was in darmapuri. Good road good constant speed (around 120 - 125). Quick break here and i was in Slik board at 5.45. I was so happy to beat the traffic.
I should definetely like to bring to notice here that all through my highway journey i was hearing a whistling noise at the back of my car. Air creeping in somewhere. I told rns motors the same but they still have not solved this problem. Sorry friends i did not note down totally how much of petrol i filled. If i remember vaguely i should have spend about 5 - 6K on the same. So please translate that to litres of petrol.

Positives: Good handling and braking at high speeds, good stability, A/C is really awesome, maruti replacing the fifth wheel with alloy wheel.
Negatives: Whistling noise at high speeds, Lack of low end torque for a quick pickup in highways, can be more fuel efficient, brighter head lights for highway purpose. Suspension could have been a tad stiffer.

Good to have for me it would put it as must: (tilt steering, All four disc brakes, a digital clock and a bright yellow swift please)

Okies here is my city experience. I still feel that the car has enough pickup for city. Quiet for city. EPS is pretty nimble and i love the steering, definetely i would love if it gave me a couple of kilometers for my litre of petrol.

I feel rns have to go several notches up with regard to servicing the car. I was not satisfied with the way it was serviced the second time. I am not contemplating on getting the wheel allignment checked for my car.

So here are my recomendations if you are looking for a decent car that looks pretty good, that can go fast, can keep you cool when the sun is starring at you really hot and a decent highway car then just dont look beyond Swift ZXI.

I feel its a practical car and i am very happy with my decision. I am proud to own one.
pshyamsundar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 00:33   #17

good review Gordon.That car is produced by Maruti Suzuki factory isn't it?
abdul 65 amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2006, 01:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review..
Amazing Pics..

Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote