Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 13:27   #406
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 4,824
Thanked: 4,169 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
suggest you do a quick monsoon check and make sure wipers, washers (they tend to fail), AC vents, etc. are a-OK and all fluids etc. topped up before you take off.
I myself am planning to do a ~1200kms trip and casually checked the fluids after reading your post.

The wiper wash container took ~2ltrs of water along with a sachet of Car wash.

Else, not for this post I would have to stop in the middle, buy 2 ltrs of mineral water & Sunsilk & top it up.

Thanks
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 20:15   #407
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 946 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Mid-way update from Bangalore

And they said, we keep our cars clean
That's one hell of a dirty car. These days a single 30 Km drive gets my car dirty to these levels, having a tough Monsoon season keeping the car clean. We require more pics en-route, you could spare some out of your travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
-----
Nilesh, how are you keeping your car clean? Daily wash with car shampoo.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 05:30   #408
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 735
Thanked: 357 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Nilesh, how are you keeping your car clean? Daily wash with car shampoo.
Nah! There's not much of a monsoon here in Bangalore. It's a good thing because I don't have to clean my car so much, but also bad because the city is reeling under a water shortage!!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:00   #409
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 1,116 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Nah! There's not much of a monsoon here in Bangalore. It's a good thing because I don't have to clean my car so much, but also bad because the city is reeling under a water shortage!!
Would you believe I faced heavy torrential rains in Vellore of all places? No rain faced in Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka or AP but Tamil Nadu! Such heavy rains that I couldn't see 2 feet ahead of me! I wasn't complaining - my car got the long deserving wash! More on this later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
We require more pics en-route, you could spare some out of your travelogue.
Unfortunately, don't expect too many pics as I was alone for most part of the trip. Hopefully I should be able to put up a TL. This trip was "interesting" for me on many aspects. To put it mildly, I'm happy to come out safe and sound in one piece (goes for the car too!). Not kidding on that part - driving on 2-lane roads alone in the night makes up quite a different situation than driving on 4/6 lane expressways!




P.s. 20,000 up!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 11th July 2012 at 11:12.
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:17   #410
BHPian
 
mikon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 433
Thanked: 349 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Unfortunately, don't expect too many pics as I was alone for most part of the trip. Hopefully I should be able to put up a TL. This trip was "interesting" for me on many aspects. To put it mildly, I'm happy to come out safe and sound in one piece (goes for the car too!). Not kidding on that part - driving on 2-lane roads alone in the night makes up quite a different situation than driving on 4/6 lane expressways!




P.s. 20,000 up!
No!!!, As discussed, I do expect pics atleast (I missed the whole thing). The trip is yet to be completed. Make good use of the tripod

Congrats and Ride safe(if possible get some cans that gives you wings - trust me it helps)!
mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:21   #411
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,391
Thanked: 610 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Three words - Work From Home.

I'll be working from Chennai during the week. And an understanding boss. Although let me put the disclaimer - I really haven't taken that many holidays over the year. Last long trip with holidays was the F1 trip 8 months back!
As I have also experienced, you don't have to take too many leaves/holidays if you regularly work from home
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 13:05   #412
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 1,116 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
No!!!, As discussed, I do expect pics atleast (I missed the whole thing). The trip is yet to be completed. Make good use of the tripod

Congrats and Ride safe(if possible get some cans that gives you wings - trust me it helps)!
Ha ha!

Sorry, I tried - but somehow I always ended up with time running against me! Have taken a few, but a lot of them were taken in the car. Would you believe it, the tripod wasn't touched at all so far! Hope I make use of it on the return journey atleast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
As I have also experienced, you don't have to take too many leaves/holidays if you regularly work from home
Regularly? No, sir. But yes, it does help in saving the holidays for special trips like these!

On a funny note, almost everyone - family, relatives, friends, colleagues and strangers have gone when I tell them I am doing/did a drive down from Pune to Chennai. Except the junta on this forum. Imagine this situation when I was some 100 kms away from Goa passing through beautiful Konkan ghats. I take a break and call up a few folks -

First call to Gautam (@mikon) - The discussion goes on the road conditions, how the car is functioning, how I should have probably included him on the trip plans too, future possibilities on similar trips, and so on.

Second call to folks at home - I get "advised" on not to call while driving. (My dad in the background mutters about me being a nutcase to opt to drive than take a flight) I am advised not to drive in the night, or drink (& drive) and so on.

ninjatalli is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 14:30   #413
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,558
Thanked: 1,758 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
First call to Gautam (@mikon) - The discussion goes on the road conditions, how the car is functioning, how I should have probably included him on the trip plans too, future possibilities on similar trips, and so on.
yes, I think we classify as nutcases. Most of us ie.
earlier this afternoon, Gautam and I were discussing some chicken recipe at lunch. Seamlessly the discussion just moved onto your trip and tripod. and though we hoped you would use it, we knew deep down that even our hopes had no hope. good if that makes any sense to you!

have a safe trip. after all we do keep learning about driving in different conditions at such times.

I think our next discussion will be what you will be bringing back for us, if not photos. Yours to decide
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 14:46   #414
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 660
Thanked: 589 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

20,000 up?? Nice!! You are making full use of the Diesel .
Mine is very close to 15000 and first service. When you see your car that dirty the you feel pain for it but then sometimes car this dirty actually look good. Waiting for the travelogue and delicious pictures.

CHEERS!!
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 15:18   #415
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 1,116 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
20,000 up?? Nice!! You are making full use of the Diesel .
Mine is very close to 15000 and first service. When you see your car that dirty the you feel pain for it but then sometimes car this dirty actually look good. Waiting for the travelogue and delicious pictures.

CHEERS!!
lol - you ain't that far either! Which surprises me - you haven't been that active on your thread with updates on what/where exactly did you use up those 15k kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Seamlessly the discussion just moved onto your trip and tripod. and though we hoped you would use it, we knew deep down that even our hopes had no hope. good if that makes any sense to you!

have a safe trip. after all we do keep learning about driving in different conditions at such times.
Do I sense sarcasm here? Well, this was quite a wonderful trip - all it lacked was junta to accompany me! In terms of landscape beauty, the Pune-Delhi trip was nothing to compare to this trip. Even if you discount the natural beauty increase due to rains, still the landscape was far more scenic!

Quote:
I think our next discussion will be what you will be bringing back for us, if not photos. Yours to decide
Ha! Dream on! Last time I had to throw away some of the fudge & chikki away - none of the BHPians landed up to have it! Pehle DLF office aane ka confirmation plan do, fir sochunga!
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 15:27   #416
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 660
Thanked: 589 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
lol - you ain't that far either! Which surprises me - you haven't been that active on your thread with updates on what/where exactly did you use up those 15k kms!


Well actually most of them are used to my drives to my hometown in Himachal. And since I drive that way very often not used to clicking pics. Although since I have a bought a DSLR I am trying to make a habit of clicking atleast some pics.

Will surely update with the First servicing details.

By the way I am sure your ownership thread is the prime example of how ownership threads should be. It has to be one of the most active and most participated ownership thread on T-BHP. Good job there mate.

CHEERS!!
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 14:29   #417
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 475 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
On a funny note, almost everyone - family, relatives, friends, colleagues and strangers have gone when I tell them I am doing/did a drive down from Pune to Chennai.

Second call to folks at home - I get "advised" on not to call while driving. (My dad in the background mutters about me being a nutcase to opt to drive than take a flight) I am advised not to drive in the night, or drink (& drive) and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
yes, I think we classify as nutcases.
True dat. I only drove to MP and back and folks here wanted to honor me with garland and flowers. Actually I am contemplating a cross country trip towards end of August around 2700 km one way. My dad has already gone and I am expecting a welcome party with full band baaja when I make it back successfully. Hope it happens. Over 5000 km on the diesel rocket is too good to miss. Have to figure out the leaves.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 20:36   #418
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 946 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
True dat. I only drove to MP and back and folks here wanted to honor me with garland and flowers. Actually I am contemplating a cross country trip towards end of August around 2700 km one way. My dad has already gone and I am expecting a welcome party with full band baaja when I make it back successfully. Hope it happens. Over 5000 km on the diesel rocket is too good to miss. Have to figure out the leaves.
If only there was a like button, but thanks does the job. Every time I say to someone that I would like to do 1000+ journey in a car and they start asking me are you gone nuts. So I do understand your feeling. Hope I too get the same band baaja treatment when I do one.

Tomorrow doing a 400+ kms journey to Ganpatipule, my first in Vento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
------
Ninja during your current trip which road did you take NH17 or NH4. How are the road condition since I would go by NH17 and return by NH4.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 20:45   #419
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NYC / BOM
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 1,116 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
True dat. I only drove to MP and back and folks here wanted to honor me with garland and flowers. Actually I am contemplating a cross country trip towards end of August around 2700 km one way. My dad has already gone and I am expecting a welcome party with full band baaja when I make it back successfully. Hope it happens. Over 5000 km on the diesel rocket is too good to miss. Have to figure out the leaves.
It's only 2 days since I landed in Chennai and I can hardly wait to get back on the road! 5k km trip is a good plan - so where are you planning to go?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Well actually most of them are used to my drives to my hometown in Himachal. And since I drive that way very often not used to clicking pics.
I can understand that feeling - I have been on the Pune - Bombay expressway numerous times in all kinds of weather - I have never made the effort to capture the beautiful ghats or any other scenic location on the way.

Quote:
By the way I am sure your ownership thread is the prime example of how ownership threads should be. It has to be one of the most active and most participated ownership thread on T-BHP. Good job there mate.

CHEERS!!
Well as long as guys like you keep the discussion active, I guess this thread will keep going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Tomorrow doing a 400+ kms journey to Ganpatipule, my first in Vento.


Ninja during your current trip which road did you take NH17 or NH4. How are the road condition since I would go by NH17 and return by NH4.
I took the NH4 route only. As I didn't have to go to Bombay, it made more sense to stick to the GQ.

Having said that, the Sawantwadi - Goa stretch of NH17 was in perfect condition. And so was the Goa - Karwar - Ankola stretch of NH17; I guess we can assume the Bombay - Ganpatipule part should be in similar conditions.

If you are going only till Ganpatipule, where/how do you plan to connect to NH4?

Last edited by ninjatalli : 12th July 2012 at 20:47.
ninjatalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:00   #420
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,464
Thanked: 946 Times
Default re: A Petrolhead's first Diesel Car: My Shadow Blue Vento TDI. EDIT, 5 years of fuss-free ownership up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If you are going only till Ganpatipule, where/how do you plan to connect to NH4?
GMap.

Due to constant rain some parts of NH17 submerge & landslides at Kashedi Ghats and it being 2 lane only, NH4 was preferred. But want to enjoy scenic beauty of NH17, so taking a chance. But all is well on NH17 for now, fingers crossed.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL TopSpeeder Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 149 5th July 2016 09:41
The Wittels Chronicles - My 2012 Shadow Blue Volkswagen Vento AT joslicx Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 49 25th June 2015 14:30
My Blue Saphire - Shadow Blue Vento Highline classic86 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 44 15th February 2012 20:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks