Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 16:18   #151
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Hi Mannubhai

Awesome pics. Looks like you had an excellent holiday.

One question - What is your take on the hard clutch? Is it a pain in the city traffic? In one of the test drives, I found the clutch too hard and my heels started paining after sometime. Please share your experience.
ganeshram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 10:29   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 146
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I got Ultimate Detailerz do a detailing of the car including the paint protection. Anti-rust is pending.
Hi Mannubhai,
Since I have got the same colour too, could u pls elaborate on what do u mean by "detailing of the car".
Also is this a Teflon coating? Could u pls share the cost of the same too as I would be keen on the same.
Thx
sidwadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 21:11   #153
BHPian
 
devansn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Covai/Kottayam
Posts: 196
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The report is pending. Shall do it asap.
Its been more than 50 hours since you promised to put up a detailed report. Promises should be promises...
devansn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 10:51   #154
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshram View Post
Hi Mannubhai

Awesome pics. Looks like you had an excellent holiday.

One question - What is your take on the hard clutch? Is it a pain in the city traffic? In one of the test drives, I found the clutch too hard and my heels started paining after sometime. Please share your experience.
Clutch is a tad too hard. I have to service it. Getting used to it, but not a very comfy position .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidwadia View Post
Hi Mannubhai,
Since I have got the same colour too, could u pls elaborate on what do u mean by "detailing of the car".
Also is this a Teflon coating? Could u pls share the cost of the same too as I would be keen on the same.
Thx
They did a full body and interior polishing. Gave the car amazing shine and smoothness. Its not teflon. For the work i wanted to get done, being a new car it cost me 4.5k . These guys are in TBHP. May be they can give you more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Its been more than 50 hours since you promised to put up a detailed report. Promises should be promises...
Oppsieeeeeeeeeee :( My bad... Request a slight extension sirji :P

Saw a post on my apartment, which suddenly disappeared. Yes I live in Wilson Manor. You spotted the right car. You stay there ? Lets meet ..

Last edited by mannubhai : 11th November 2011 at 10:54.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 11:01   #155
BHPian
 
skyliner34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Saw a post on my apartment, which suddenly disappeared. Yes I live in Wilson Manor. You spotted the right car. You stay there ? Lets meet ..
Yeah it was me, forgot t-bhp rules of not forcing users to reveal their location I too live around that place. Sure, next time I see you, I will stop you
skyliner34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:16   #156
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

The long drive :

After almost 600 kms of bumper to bumper off-roading in bangalore, it was time to take the Mamba on a hunt. It was going to be a 1300 kms 2 way drive to kerala .
We started at 4.30 pm from Bangalore. I had filled up the mamba. It was going to be a 410 kms drive home to Palakkad, Kerala. Being short of luggage space, i folded one seat in the 3rd row and it was sufficient for enough luggage of a week long family tour.

This was the first long drive and that too was going to have its night stretch. I had my apprehensions on how the Mamba would behave. I personally do not fancy night drives. The Head lights were not tested before , nor was the Car's capability for a highway drive.

The roads :

Usual traffic in the city road till Silk Board, and post that it was a bliss. I kept to the speed limits till Hosur and then moved to a steady 100-120 kmph for the rest of the drive. The 310 kms mark makes the end of an awesome road. The last 100 kms is a nightmare.Especially till the L&T highway which starts at Sulur, Coimbatore. The road construction is underway, and hopefully in 3 months or so, it would match up to the rest of the roads. The only hazard is the oncoming traffic in the good roads also. People in TVS/tractors think they have a right to the left side of the road,even on a highway with medians. A second of lapse can be deadly on these roads.

I also drove Palakkad- Kochi. Do not take the Kuthiran route, suggest you take the Shornur road. I drove Palakkad-Kochi in an hour and 50 mins, and was surprised myself, cos that was the fastest i have ever done. The differntiator is the Mannuthy to Angamaly road. That is probably the best road in Kerala till date, with 6 track flyovers.


The sheer pleasure

This car is a pleasure to drive. Forget all the attention and exclusivity part, the sheer power it brings out and the maneuverability ,makes it an SUV to own.

The Over drive Gear : The 6th gear is an absolute bliss. You feel so much power still left to be pumped at any point of time. I hit 160 on the elevated highway on my way back, and still it had enough pedalling space left. The steering behaves well too.

The Seating : Is perfect. For a 6 feet guy, i have loads of leg space. The upright position with Lumbar support gives me zero strains. Everything you need, the gear lever, handbrakes,ICE , its all at the perfect arm distance. Nothing interferes with another one.

The Visibility : You see miles ahead and around you I could actually place the car so well even on tight left corners, as i could see it from my driving seat, with out stretching out.

Passengers : The mid row is a pleasure. My kids both slept peacefully side by side in the mid seat. The front passenger seat is so comfy, you feel as if in a recliner. On the way back my daughter had a sound sleep all the way back in the one unfolded seat in the 3rd row. She went for her sports day the next morn to school. Means, it too is super comfy.

Attention grabber : This beast does pop eyes out of onlookers. We stopped over for a bite at the McD outlet near Krishnagiri, and in no time I had a swamp of people around my car. I became a Sales Rep of M&M for a good half hour. I got people looking at me with utmost jealousy/admiration/even some cruel looks , as if how come you have it and I dont. It was fun. In my hometown, Palakkad, I had guys coming from across to have a look at the vehicle, including the entire M&M dealership, all thanks to Hari of Sunlinks, my insurance agent.( I didnt mind cos he gave me insurance at 50% cost of what the M&M dealer was offering me ), and the service station where i took it for a car wash. There was this business tycoon who came in a fortuner ( he has a garage full of SUVs Im told) , who was willing to pay any premium for an XUV.

TBHP spotting

I saw a good number of cars with TBhp stickers all through the way. Many whisked past me, slowed down, let me over take and then again over took me, before i went past them. It was as if to get a 360 degree view of the car . Few of them waved to me, and I waved back. I remember one Flaura with an AS regn plate, who drove with me in tandem ( knowingly or unknowing) for a long time.

The chasers

I was chased down many times, during the drive and in Kochi and Palakkad. Made to stop on the road and detail them about the car. Though it sounds bad, i enjoyed it. Standing out among them was a White scorpio, which chased me on my way back in Avinashi road. I overtook him and then he went though the under construction road to over take me. He was using his dipper and signalling me, so the initial thought was of a burst tyre or an open door. Seeing nothing, i continued and over took him again. He was a dare devil, who wouldn't give up and almost crased into an oncoming truck to overtake me and made me stop. By then I realised his "intentions" . Then 4 "hatta katta" guys run out of the car, only to ask me, how did you manage to get the delivery. We had a good 10 min discussion, and then they piloted me off avinashi road.

Another guy in a Corolla created a traffic block in Maharaja Ground Jn in Kochi, as he blocked my car in the middle of the road to ask me about the car and when it would launch in Kochi.


The FE
This drive has given me in excess of 15 kmph. Bad in Math so didnt attempt the calculation :P . Works like this . The initial 600 kms of city drive gave me 9.9 kmph. The gross FE after 1900 was 13kmph. So the 1300 kms of highway drive would have been more than 15. Some one can do a calculation and confirm

Happiness Quotient

1) The comfort : Both driver part and passenger part
2) FE
3) Niggle free. No screeches/rumbling/rattling. Nothing
4) All electronics stuck to the role. No issues with ICE/Lights/Display meters
5) Bad road handling : The last 100 kms of road to Palakkad is a nightmare.

Concern elements

1) There seem to be a dark spot on the headlight throw. Its a triangular spot on the RHS. It is not visible in high beam. Will have to get it checked.

2) Inside storage room. The aesthetic element has overpowered the practicality part. Once i kept by car documents/car charger/first aid kit, there is hardly any space left for anything in the storage area. CD holder has to be left outside too. There is no space to keep a tissue box either

3) Non-Launch towns have not seen this vehicle. The ASC just in case you need them in a tier2/3 town is a suspect.

4) The shining console leaves a strong reflection which is very disturbing.

Having said that, in a nutshell, Im waiting for my next longgggggg drive. And i hope to take it on a prowl very soon.

Went for the drive all excited, and I came back a very happy and proud owner of an XUV Five Double Oh ... My Mamba ..
mannubhai is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 12:35   #157
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Enjoy the attention friend. Judging by the response, in a few months, XUV5OOs are going to be all over the town, in every nook & corner. Then nobody would give it a second glance!

I am in the process to book one, confused between white or grey.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:55   #158
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 123 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

I guess XUV is the "Rajnikant" of cars. Wishing you many many miles of happy driving...
chandras1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 15:12   #159
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post

The FE
This drive has given me in excess of 15 kmph. Bad in Math so didnt attempt the calculation :P . Works like this . The initial 600 kms of city drive gave me 9.9 kmph. The gross FE after 1900 was 13kmph. So the 1300 kms of highway drive would have been more than 15. Some one can do a calculation and confirm
Thanks Mannubhai for the update. Been waiting for it as you are one of the first to take it on a long drive. Did a quick calculation and the highway mileage comes to 14.4 (600 x 9.9 + 1300 x Highwaymileage = 1900 x 13). And I think you probably meant "kmpl" and not "kmph"
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 17:10   #160
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,383
Thanked: 14,307 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Are you too a palakkadan ?
Oh yes, CBE- avinashi is a night mare. Add on to that I was caught in the TN side of walayar check post for a good 2 hours on the way back I have no clue why cant they have wider roads to ensure smooth pvt vehicle transport !!!!!
No, I happened to drive via Palakkad last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The chasers

I was chased down many times, during the drive and in Kochi and Palakkad. Made to stop on the road and detail them about the car. Though it sounds bad, i enjoyed it. Standing out among them was a White scorpio, which chased me on my way back in Avinashi road. I overtook him and then he went though the under construction road to over take me. He was using his dipper and signalling me, so the initial thought was of a burst tyre or an open door. Seeing nothing, i continued and over took him again. He was a dare devil, who wouldn't give up and almost crased into an oncoming truck to overtake me and made me stop. By then I realised his "intentions" . Then 4 "hatta katta" guys run out of the car, only to ask me, how did you manage to get the delivery. We had a good 10 min discussion, and then they piloted me off avinashi road.

Another guy in a Corolla created a traffic block in Maharaja Ground Jn in Kochi, as he blocked my car in the middle of the road to ask me about the car and when it would launch in Kochi.
Their exact sentiment can described via the following song. Funny, how many songs refer to your handle name.

Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 19:24   #161
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,436 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The FE
This drive has given me in excess of 15 kmph. Bad in Math so didnt attempt the calculation :P . Works like this . The initial 600 kms of city drive gave me 9.9 kmph. The gross FE after 1900 was 13kmph. So the 1300 kms of highway drive would have been more than 15. Some one can do a calculation and confirm
I am confused. If you got these readings from the MID, would not that be "instantaneous FE"? Or did you define these readings from "distance to empty" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Happiness Quotient

5) Bad road handling : The last 100 kms of road to Palakkad is a nightmare.

There is no space to keep a tissue box either

4) The shining console leaves a strong reflection which is very disturbing.
Since you have mentioned bad road handling under happiness, I would assume you wanted to pen down that "the last 100 kms were a nightmare, but XUV handled it easily?" So I just wanted to re-confirm the ride quality was really good over the bad patches?

I guess the pocket under the shiny console can hold a standard tissue box?? Had seen it somewhere; may be some reviews and they said the console looked like designed for a tissue box because of the snug fit.

You get anti-skid mats for around 250/- in accessories shop to keep / stick on dashboard to place mobile, wallet etc. It looked to me like made of rubber and if you buy it & place it over the shiny console, reflection will be taken care of I guess.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 11th November 2011 at 19:26.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 01:56   #162
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Post edited by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Enjoy the attention friend. Judging by the response, in a few months, XUV5OOs are going to be all over the town, in every nook & corner. Then nobody would give it a second glance!

I am in the process to book one, confused between white or grey.
I saw a silver XUV driving along side me at mekhri circle. I bet my friend, Black is beautiful. Nothing exemplifies this beast better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
I guess XUV is the "Rajnikant" of cars. Wishing you many many miles of happy driving...
Just read that Rajnikanth knows Victoria's Secret !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Thanks Mannubhai for the update. Been waiting for it as you are one of the first to take it on a long drive. Did a quick calculation and the highway mileage comes to 14.4 (600 x 9.9 + 1300 x Highwaymileage = 1900 x 13). And I think you probably meant "kmpl" and not "kmph"
KMPL ...ooopsie my bad .. 14.4 is good enough before the 1st service right ? Thanks a ton btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No, I happened to drive via Palakkad last month.

Their exact sentiment can described via the following song. Funny, how many songs refer to your handle name.

Me happy Mannubhai gaadi still pompoings

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am confused. If you got these readings from the MID, would not that be "instantaneous FE"? Or did you define these readings from "distance to empty" ?



Since you have mentioned bad road handling under happiness, I would assume you wanted to pen down that "the last 100 kms were a nightmare, but XUV handled it easily?" So I just wanted to re-confirm the ride quality was really good over the bad patches?

I guess the pocket under the shiny console can hold a standard tissue box?? Had seen it somewhere; may be some reviews and they said the console looked like designed for a tissue box because of the snug fit.

You get anti-skid mats for around 250/- in accessories shop to keep / stick on dashboard to place mobile, wallet etc. It looked to me like made of rubber and if you buy it & place it over the shiny console, reflection will be taken care of I guess.
I have the antiskid mat. Doesnt make the difference..
100 kms is a nightmare. Handled well by the Mamba. But But But, its a pain even if you are on a glider

my FE readings are what is on the screen. Assume they are the gross readings.

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2011 at 15:36. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 10:52   #163
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I saw a silver XUV driving along side me at mekhri circle. I bet my friend, Black is beautiful. Nothing exemplifies this beast better.
I agree, black looks the best, but sadly we dont buy black cars in our family, my parents think it brings bad omen. I also like black because it comes with beige interiors & I like that over the black interiors in the XUV. Also, black tends to hide the overdone detailing in the bumper. Overall, perfect colour for the XUV.

I also agree that silver looks dull, just a personal opinion.

I like green followed by red, but again parents hate that colour! they say red is too in-your-face! I also feel red is a sporty colour & more apt for hatches & sedans than SUVs.

So, I am left with white & grey. Though I love grey, it comes with black interiors & as said, I prefer want beige interiors. Thankfully, white comes with beige interiors. but white makes the overdone bumper apparent!

End result - Confused!
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 19:19   #164
BHPian
 
f@lcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 40
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
I agree, black looks the best, but sadly we dont buy black cars in our family, my parents think it brings bad omen. I also like black because it comes with beige interiors & I like that over the black interiors in the XUV. Also, black tends to hide the overdone detailing in the bumper. Overall, perfect colour for the XUV.

I also agree that silver looks dull, just a personal opinion.

I like green followed by red, but again parents hate that colour! they say red is too in-your-face! I also feel red is a sporty colour & more apt for hatches & sedans than SUVs.

So, I am left with white & grey. Though I love grey, it comes with black interiors & as said, I prefer want beige interiors. Thankfully, white comes with beige interiors. but white makes the overdone bumper apparent!

End result - Confused!
Go for Satin it looks really beautiful.Front design is not that bad, it grows on you over time.Check my XUV5OO pics in my ownership thread.
f@lcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 23:42   #165
BHPian
 
rohitbagai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 401
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Baggins View Post
Thanks Mannubhai for the update. Been waiting for it as you are one of the first to take it on a long drive. Did a quick calculation and the highway mileage comes to 14.4 (600 x 9.9 + 1300 x Highwaymileage = 1900 x 13). And I think you probably meant "kmpl" and not "kmph"
The calculation should be in Lts terms. 600km with average consumption of 9.9L/Kmpl means 60.6 Ltrs diesel consumed. Total Kms 1900 with avr of 13 means 146.15 Lts used in total. So the total diesel Lts consumed during this long trip = 146.15-60.6=85.55 Ltrs for a distance of 1300 KM and 1300/85.55= 15.2 !! Nice highway mileage !!
rohitbagai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra XUV500 W8 AWD : Long Term Ownership Report. EDIT: Now sold! .anshuman Long-Term Ownership Reviews 243 12th October 2017 10:28
XUV 500 First impression/Test Drive noidaboy Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 81 13th October 2011 22:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks