Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 12th May 2012, 10:44   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I remember, I was suggesting one of the guys on FB to go ahed and sell his car ASAP, right after the lottery results, which he won apart from his regular lottery ticket (he may have bought more than a couple I guess). I told him that the hype is going down soon.

We are almost there. It doesnt have the exclusivity tag anymore nor something that world is crazy about, the rush/ the hype was never created by the genuine consumers, it was by crazy folks and they are tired now, going back to their business or some other crazy thing. Moreover, initial niggles are bringing the reality in the foreground which the craze cannot stand against.

Guys who lost in the lottery can get the delivery in another 10 days time if they go with full payment now (provided they booked in April again when invited).

All who thought they can make some quick buck and werent really quick may end up loosing some.
Absolutely right, I might dive in the next round, since both my wife and son are crazy for the XUV looks, and by the times deliveries come many more niggles should have been hopefully taken care of.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 07:54   #257

Sorry that my first post is a 'gimme', but I can't really contribute yet, on account of being pretty ignorant on automotive matters. Yet. :-)

Getting an XUV 500, hopefully next week. Need advice on a few matters, since this is the first flavoured vehicle we will own (all the earlier were strictly vanilla, including the awesome Qualis). Booked at Synergy, Delhi.

So question 1: Given the number of niggles, just how does one ensure a pre-registration inspection of the vehicle. Just ask the dealer?

Question 2++: Looking at the accessories is like being a kid in a candy shop. So would appreciate some practical advice on the utility of a few items. Definitely getting the side foot step, to facilitate the old arthritic folks climbing in & out.
Also a carrier, since inside space is non-existent.
I thought the rain visors, though ugly, are useful, since they would let me drive in the rain with my windows a bit down, preventing windshields fogging up.
Do validate these.

Question 3++: These are the elective purchases, do need guidance.
The dealer's offering a Waxoyl treatment package (Paint Sealant, Underbody Protection, Motor Care, Cavity Wax, & Engine Lacquer) at Rs. 9999/-. Useful, overpriced, or scam?
Is a rear parking assist camera useful, or just a nice-to-have? My current car has nothing, just bumpers.
Tempted to get the head-rest LCD screens, to keep the kids engaged on long drives. But wondering if a flip down display is better, with its hopefully wider visibility, also from the third row.
Also, is getting the Amsaki tracking device any use, or have NCR thieves got it figured by now. The other alternative on offer is the Jetkey Keyless, which is too showy and over-featured for us. (We're going to be having a hard enough time figuring out the car tech!)

I appreciate any time and attention that you can spare for my queries. And mods, I'm sorry if some or all components of my question are duplicates. But you do appreciate that I would need consolidated guidance. (Hoping that I'm posting in the appropriate forum.)
walchan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 09:31   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchan99 View Post
So question 1: Given the number of niggles, just how does one ensure a pre-registration inspection of the vehicle. Just ask the dealer?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)

Quote:
Question 2++: Looking at the accessories is like being a kid in a candy shop. So would appreciate some practical advice on the utility of a few items. Definitely getting the side foot step, to facilitate the old arthritic folks climbing in & out.
Also a carrier, since inside space is non-existent.
I thought the rain visors, though ugly, are useful, since they would let me drive in the rain with my windows a bit down, preventing windshields fogging up.
Do validate these.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...r-new-car.html (ARTICLE: Must-have Accessories for your new car)

Quote:
Question 3++: These are the elective purchases, do need guidance.
The dealer's offering a Waxoyl treatment package (Paint Sealant, Underbody Protection, Motor Care, Cavity Wax, & Engine Lacquer) at Rs. 9999/-. Useful, overpriced, or scam?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ond-brite.html (3M Paint Protection V/s Waxoyl V/s Dupont Teflon V/s Jewel Ultra Diamond Brite)

Quote:
Is a rear parking assist camera useful, or just a nice-to-have? My current
car has nothing, just bumpers.
Tempted to get the head-rest LCD screens, to keep the kids engaged on long drives. But wondering if a flip down display is better, with its hopefully wider visibility, also from the third row.
Also, is getting the Amsaki tracking device any use, or have NCR thieves got it figured by now. The other alternative on offer is the Jetkey Keyless, which is too showy and over-featured for us. (We're going to be having a hard enough time figuring out the car tech!)
I know people who have hit their car to something or the other coz they 'just' go by what the cam show when reversing. They forget that the field of view of cam is bad at times.

And about screen. flip down units give more 'screen area' . How do you intend to get the sound out? Some good screens also had IR headphone out.

Last edited by GTO : 18th July 2012 at 17:23. Reason: Answering within someone else's quote is not permitted. Quoting properly in your post
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 11:13   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by walchan99 View Post

Question 2++:

Question 3++:
Question 1:
Not sure if Dealer will tell you about the niggles at all. Also, they are more or less not aware of all niggles. In my opinion, you use the car & feel your own niggles (as most of us have individual niggles, varying from one person to another).

Question 2:
Accessories: Again, it's a personal choice & budget/ preference. E.g. In my case, I took only alloy wheels, teflon coating & floor mats from dealership. Rest of the accessories are not worth spending money. However, I have spent enough on after market ICE upgrade (Music is always a priority for me) & am very very happy with my ICE setup now.
Side step is not that necessary, unless you have very old folks who travel with you very often & so is roof carrier (unless you always tend to travel 5+ in a car over long distances).

Question 3:
I think I got this entire package in 5.5K (from Sri Durga, Delhi). You can always negotiate on this & they do budge in case of negotiations.
Rear Camera: Haven't used it in last 3 months of my driving & don't feel a need to it. Please try to drive it for sometime & then see, if you ACTUALLY require it.
LCD Screens: No Comments, never used/ liked them.
Tracking System: I think there is inbuilt system in XUV. More like, AutoCops theft system.
naveenchhillar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 11:53   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Dear Manoj,

Hope your XUV is bringing you lots of happiness.
I have a few questions:
1. Was the tyre with crack replaced free-of-cost?
2. Is the lock issue on front door resolved?
3. Any resolution to the grinding noise from the brakes?
4. Are you persuing for right side headlight unit replacement for the 'traingular spot in the throw' problem?

Thanks
SDP
SDP, Apologies for such a late reply. Been out of action due to work commitments for long .

1) Yes the tyre was replaced FOC.
2) Lock issue of front door was resolved. I have an issue of the LHS back door getting into child lock mode by itself. Hope to resolve it in the next visit.
3) Brake noise has gone post the 2nd service. There is no concerning noise now, except probably when the ABS kicks in. Thats very rare.
4) No resolution on the traingle spot yet. They are clueless. Need to escalate in next visit.
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 12:24   #261
BHPian

Mamba was featured in Mahindra XUV's facebook page today .

Here it is

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 15:38   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Mamba was featured in Mahindra XUV's facebook page today .
Congratulations Mannubhia, Mamba looks great in that image!
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 12:23   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Congratulations Mannubhia, Mamba looks great in that image!
Thank You Ketan . Its an old picture, was in the pics posted on my first drive, in this thread.

The mamba is in service. They had to fix the ICE which had shut down. They have to replace it, and guess what !!! Nippon doesnt have stock. Im waiting to hear the update. I lost my cool on friday with my relationship manager when i heard this. My week end got screwed.

Will update on progress.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 23:40   #264
BHPian

Congratulations bhai for having the first XUV 500 of Tbhp and it getting featured on the fb page As I said earlier it looks menacing in black. Hope all the niggles will be solved soon and you get to enjoy many happy miles with the beast.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:10   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Congratulations bhai for having the first XUV 500 of Tbhp and it getting featured on the fb page As I said earlier it looks menacing in black. Hope all the niggles will be solved soon and you get to enjoy many happy miles with the beast.
Even mine got publish sometime back.
Here is the link for the same:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
naveenchhillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 14:02   #266
SDP
Team-BHP Support

I have seen Mannubhai's ride featured on the XUV5OO FB page. I have also seen NaveenChillar's XUV featured there.

Yesterday, it was Sathya's XUV on the FB page. Looks like TBHPians are passionate (and expert) in photography as much as cars & driving!
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:43   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Congratulations bhai
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Even mine got publish sometime back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Looks like TBHPians are passionate (and expert) in photography as much as cars & driving!
================

Thanks guys ..

A quick update on Mamba. Current ODO is 18000 kms. Running by far has been smooth and less eventful.

Name:  IMG02027201208182114.jpg
Views: 3383
Size:  51.0 KB

Had my music system replaced last month as it had conked off. Nippon has no backup i assume.

Had the first bad taste of Bangalore roads, with a BMTC bus hard-kissing the mamba, and taking off its LHS mirror. The casing needs repair, though the electronics are working fine.

Name:  mirror broken.jpg
Views: 2843
Size:  6.3 KB

Lighting is my biggest concern. The big triangular spot on the RHS is a big dampener in city roads. With out the fogs i cant see anything. I need to find a solution for this. The high beam is also not much to be talked about.

The current issues. :
> LEDs on both lights has conked off.
> RHS indicators seem to be having a loose contact. Had rectified, but keeps popping up .
> Grinding noise in brakes. Its not a regular issue. But pops up absolutely unexpectedly. And thats a pretty noticeable noise.

This week, the Mamba is going to be put on test. I have a long driving week ahead. The drive starts tomo, as below.

22/8 : Bangalore - HYD -
24/8 : HYD - Blore
25/8 : Blore - Palakkad
27/8 : Palakkad - Chennai
28/8 : Chennai - Blore

Approx drive would be around 3000 kms . Lets see how the mamba fares . Will keep this thread posted on the drive
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 13:30   #268
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Lighting is my biggest concern. The big triangular spot on the RHS is a big dampener in city roads. With out the fogs i cant see anything. I need to find a solution for this. The high beam is also not much to be talked about.
That's a very good observation. I haven't driven much at night. But whatever little night-driving I have done, the night-time illumination leaves a lot to be desired. Just 2 days back, while driving on a highway with a light drizzle, I found it difficult to drive on low-beam. Never tried driving with only fog-lights. But I have not really seen them making a difference whenever they are on along with the low beam.

Quote:
This week, the Mamba is going to be put on test. I have a long driving week ahead. The drive starts tomo, as below.

22/8 : Bangalore - HYD -
24/8 : HYD - Blore
25/8 : Blore - Palakkad
27/8 : Palakkad - Chennai
28/8 : Chennai - Blore

Approx drive would be around 3000 kms . Lets see how the mamba fares . Will keep this thread posted on the drive
18K already and 3K more by month-end! You are really using your XUV well. All the best for the long-driving week! Have fun!
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2012, 22:35   #269
BHPian

Question for those who have driven the XUV for more than 6 to 7 hours at a strech. - How has been the driving comfort?

I have been mostly driving sedans and I find the sedan seating pretty uncomfortable after 5 - 6 hours at a strech. My back is camped with the seating position (mainly due to the inverted V postion of legs) and slant of the seat. I have tried many different driving positions and steering angles. Doesnt seem to help.

and fyi - I have 6'2" tall with heavy built.
tictactoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 11:51   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictactoe View Post
Question for those who have driven the XUV for more than 6 to 7 hours at a strech. - How has been the driving comfort?

I have been mostly driving sedans and I find the sedan seating pretty uncomfortable after 5 - 6 hours at a strech. My back is camped with the seating position (mainly due to the inverted V postion of legs) and slant of the seat. I have tried many different driving positions and steering angles. Doesnt seem to help.

and fyi - I have 6'2" tall with heavy built.
XUV has its driver ergonomics spot on. If you're driving on decent to good roads, you won't feel a thing even if you drive for 7-8 hours.

If you're continuously driving on rural roads with uneven surfaces, the horizontal wobbling movements may make you dizzy after a few *hours*. Keep taking regular breaks to avoid that.

Back pain and knee pain are less likely to occur due to the coach like seating position and availability of enough legroom.

Hope that helps.
tachobells is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote