Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 6th October 2012, 14:43   #271
BHPian

Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
================

Lighting is my biggest concern. The big triangular spot on the RHS is a big dampener in city roads. With out the fogs i cant see anything. I need to find a solution for this. The high beam is also not much to be talked about.
I too have now realized the problem with the dark triangle on the right. Still trying to work out the best solution. The problem is the design of the reflector.
I have also adjusted my spot light so as to reduce the dark area between the spot light and the main beam.
Now I will see if adjusting the direction of the beam towards the right -if the triangle will fall more to the right and give a clearer road ahead.

Quote:
This week, the Mamba is going to be put on test. I have a long driving week ahead. The drive starts tomo, as below.

22/8 : Bangalore - HYD -
24/8 : HYD - Blore
25/8 : Blore - Palakkad
27/8 : Palakkad - Chennai
28/8 : Chennai - Blore

Approx drive would be around 3000 kms . Lets see how the mamba fares . Will keep this thread posted on the drive
I had done a 4500km trip to the North in May Mumbai -Udaipur - Ajmer -Jaipur -Gaziabad- Dehradun -Mussoori -Rishikesh- Corbert -Nanital- Lansdown-Dehradun -Jaipur -Ahmedbad -Mumbai!!! -but no real night driving- the drive was relaxing and exalting. Can't wait to do another long journey.

Last edited by Gerardfdz : 6th October 2012 at 14:58.
Gerardfdz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2012, 23:19   #272
BHPian

Quote:
================

Thanks guys ..

A quick update on Mamba. Current ODO is 18000 kms. Running by far has been smooth and less eventful.
Hey Mannu Bhai, Can you tell me what is done in 1st Service and how much did they charge you

Same question with 2nd and 3rd service.

Hari
balenoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:34   #273
BHPian

First and foremost, sincere deep apologies for having not come this way for long. Work and some commitments kept me offline for far too long.

A quick update is that Mamba had its 1st birthday on Oct 19th. No fanfare, had a good long drive alone .

The ODO stands at 27000 kms, and the city milage is around 10.5, which seems low considering what Ive read from others. I think its more to do with my routes and traffic than the car.

Almost 14 months old now, Ive done 4 services so far. 3 free and last one was paid service. But since there was no consumables to be changed, no cost was incurred.

Regarding the niggles that I have been having,

1) Triangle blackening on the RHS light throw : This has been corrected. After all I was right that it was a niggle. There is a dark spot by design, but by manually removing and adjusting the light throw, the black spot is no more a hindrance.

2) Clutch : The unit was changed. And now it is smooth and pretty soft ( compared to what it was)

I hope to be regular going forth and spend some amount of time here. Hopefully
mannubhai is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 17:57   #274
SDP
Team-BHP Support

We missed you Manoj! Anyways, welcome back!

Quote:
...The ODO stands at 27000 kms, and the city milage is around 10.5, which seems low considering what Ive read from others. I think its more to do with my routes and traffic than the car.
Congratulations for completing 14 months. 27k kms in 14 months. That's almost 2000kms per month. You sure are putting the XUV to good use.

Quote:

1) Triangle blackening on the RHS light throw : This has been corrected. After all I was right that it was a niggle. There is a dark spot by design, but by manually removing and adjusting the light throw, the black spot is no more a hindrance.
Appreciate your persistence. Even after everybody saying that it is by design, you got it corrected. Good. Can you please post a current picture with the corrected throw?

Quote:
2) Clutch : The unit was changed. And now it is smooth and pretty soft ( compared to what it was)
I am assuming that your clutch did not fail and they service center still replaced it. What made them take this decision? Any specific batches where there is a informal recall for clutches? Did you had to chase them for the replacement?

One more thing: About the quality of the interior plastics and parts - after 14 months, any signs of discoloration from the interior plastics? Anything came loose? Any rattles?

How are the tyres after 27k kms? Good to go till 40K?

Last edited by SDP : 7th December 2012 at 17:58.
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2012, 18:07   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
We missed you Manoj! Anyways, welcome back!

Thank You. Missed the forum too .

Congratulations for completing 14 months. 27k kms in 14 months. That's almost 2000kms per month. You sure are putting the XUV to good use.

Appreciate your persistence. Even after everybody saying that it is by design, you got it corrected. Good. Can you please post a current picture with the corrected throw?

I shall try to click from under the dairy circle bridge, from where the initial snap of the black spot was taken . Then can put them together as a snap.

I am assuming that your clutch did not fail and they service center still replaced it. What made them take this decision? Any specific batches where there is a informal recall for clutches? Did you had to chase them for the replacement?

The clutch was always tight. I was getting pain in my knees. I had taken it up with them during each service, they would say it has been adjusted, but to no real avail. This time we checked few other XUV's that had come for service, and showed them the difference. That did it for them to get it corrected. Not sure if they have a recall.

One more thing: About the quality of the interior plastics and parts - after 14 months, any signs of discoloration from the interior plastics? Anything came loose? Any rattles?

No discoloration so far. Im planning a polish in Jan. Just for the shine

How are the tyres after 27k kms? Good to go till 40K?
Tyres are good to go for atleast 15k kms, i suppose.

mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 17:18   #276
BHPian

A quick travelogue : A 6 day , Bangalore-Hyderabad-Bangalore-Palakkad-Chennai-Bangalore, trip

This August i did a good long trip . The Mamba behaved to the dot. It was an absolute pleasure, and absolutely no complaints.

Bangalore- HYD was a breeze. There isn't anyplace where you can stopover for a bite. You miss one and feel that you will stop at the next, be warned, there is nothing waiting for you. Stop at the first eatery you see or go hungry. Watch out for incoming traffic towards Kurnool stretch where all forms of drivers from Activas to JCBs think its their birth right to drive in the opposite direction on a divide highway. I had 2 close calls, but the warning I read in Blore-HYD threads had kept me on my toes. HYD city driving is as bad as Blore is, so I felt at Home .

Blore- Palakkad
is my home turf. Im just waiting for that Avinashi stretch to be completed. The entire fun on driving 300 kms till Avinashi vanishes in the last 100 kms home, and you ate utterly frustrated.

Palakkad- Chennai
, is a mixed bag. I was driving alone and so took lots of breaks and had no hurry to reach. The 6 lane work happening across that stretch is an absolute dampener of spirits. A lot of "Kumbakonam Coffee stalls" provide you with the best coffees in the highways, and also save you from this depression . The OMR drive in peak hours, that too after a long drive, can put your wits and patience to absolute test. Me and the Mamba survived it though.

Chennai- Blore also has its 6 lane work going on and the trucks and TN buses make the journey tiresome. The whole stretch is full of eateries , so one is well entertained.

Attaching some snaps of the trip

Mamba outside the 1st eatery we saw in Blore-HYD road.

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0003.jpg

Yes, Its A/C attached

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0004.jpg

Headlights from the skies

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0011.jpg

Clean roads

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0013.jpg

Sunset
from the moving car

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0026.jpg

Soolagiri McD. The absolute pitstop.

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0034.jpg

JLT a click of the light tower

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0040.jpg

The toll booths are reasonably classy looking

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0042.jpg

Mamba on break

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0043.jpg

Teenage dream to drive in "MY OWN" car into my college relived again

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0179.jpg

Clocked 20k enroute. Stopped to click the ODO

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0194.jpg

Breather in Palakkad-Chennai road

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0197.jpg

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0206.jpg

College buses . They are everywhere in Chennai, I mean everywhere.

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0213.jpg

Business class tickets, and You get a roof top seat , Like a Boss

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0221.jpg

The most interesting snap . They just got married and the group was following them.

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0225.jpg

And to sign off , a TBHP spotting

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-img_0243.jpg
mannubhai is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 09:42   #277

Hi BHPians. Im taking delivery of my xuv500 W8 today. I want to replace alloys as well as go for wider tyres (255, R17). Any suggestions regarding the same? Which are the best tyres for comfort, stability and driving pleasure on the xuv?
sahil.propel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 10:52   #278
Team-BHP Support

Suggest you don't do that... not with a W8. W8 has those tyretronics equipped wheels and change of alloys immediately will cause it to fail since the sensors are in the alloys.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 11:02   #279

Hey zappo... i read about that and confirmed with my tyre guy.. he says that he can shift the sensors to the new alloys and they would work perfectly fine. Cuz sensors are not designed to work with specific alloys or tyres.. they simply sense the reduction in air pressure in comparison to what you set manually from the system.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:48   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil.propel View Post
Hey zappo... i read about that and confirmed with my tyre guy.. he says that he can shift the sensors to the new alloys and they would work perfectly fine. Cuz sensors are not designed to work with specific alloys or tyres.. they simply sense the reduction in air pressure in comparison to what you set manually from the system.
Hey even if they dont work, you will be better off as they are more prone to issues.

Regarding tyres, i would suggest you put this question in Tyres and Alloys section.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 09:32   #281

Thnx everyone for their inputs.. got my black beast yesterday.. couldnt go for a spin yesterday due to heavy traffic.. so decided to leave for office a lil early tosay and take the cheetah for a prowl on empty roads.. what a drive!!!! Planning to install a host of accessories.. will post a list and pictures soon...
Old 27th January 2013, 10:41   #282

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-20130127-10.14.12.jpg
Reverse Camera Installed on my XUV. Done by the dealer. Pretty good view.

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-20130127-10.11.58.jpg
Front view.. Looks stunning with the chrome kit

XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread-20130127-10.12.262.jpg
Got my tyres and alloys changed. These alloys look much better than the stock W8 alloys.
sahil.propel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 17:16   #283
BHPian

Been a while since Ive updated my ownership thread.

The Mamba is going steady. Only down side has been a major parking issue in my apartment, which has left the bumpers with some scratches trying to negotiate the pillars. I live in an apt complex built in early 90s, and all parking slots are made with a M800 in mind

Just did a quick drive down to my parents in Palakkad, Kerala. Car behaved as good as ever.

Mileage is still a concern which I need to take up with my ASC. I got 12.4 during the Bangalore-palakkad-bangalore drive. City drive is giving me between 9.2 to 9.6, which is way lower than what it was earlier. Any tips ?

Im getting occasional screech noises from the passenger seat when its occupied, but not that alarming yet.

ODO reads 32k .
mannubhai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 10:08   #284
BHPian

Considering to upgrade from Xylo to XUV 500, W8 AWD. Had a straight 19 pg read of your ownership thread.

I was wondering if M&M have any exchange offers.
BigWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 20:14   #285
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful and congratulations! Read the ownership thread in one go.

Any updates on the Mamba performance? How is FE now?
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote