Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 31st October 2011, 11:12   #121
BHPian

Default Re: XUV-500 .The Mamba .. First Ownership Thread

Im taking the mamba for a long drive today. Driving to my hometown, Palakkad ,Kerala - 410 kms and then tomo or day after to Kochi and then back to Blore.

Should be a 1500 kms drive in all.

Shall post the updates of the drive.
mannubhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 11:15   #122
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Im taking the mamba for a long drive today. Driving to my hometown, Palakkad ,Kerala - 410 kms and then tomo or day after to Kochi and then back to Blore.

Looking forward to your updates Mannubhai. Please let us know if the headlights are adequate for the highways. Drive safe...
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 14:35   #123

Quote:

Wow, post pics and also your drive experience on handling etc.

Looking forward to your update. Hope the coimbatore to Palakkad 40kms stretch has been done up by now. Safe travels!
sijesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 15:13   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey, I was there just last week for 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijesh View Post
Looking forward to your update. Hope the coimbatore to Palakkad 40kms stretch has been done up by now. Safe travels!
I can comment on that, drove that stretch twice last week. Palakkad to Coimbatore is ok, not an issue. But Coimbatore to Avinashi is a nightmare thanks to 4-lane construction.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 16:34   #125
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mannubhai,

Since your XUV already has a good projector lens based headlamp system (which is good for HID lamps) , you can consider upgrading the headlights to Xenon HID lamps + gear - I saw a few kits from Osram / Philips today and they are in the range of 10K for lamps + electronic ballast. It will be a huge upgrade in terms of the light levels.
We are planning on making this upgrade when we get delivery of our XUV too (End-November delivery!).

What other upgrades / addons are you planning for the Mamba..?

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2011, 19:36   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Mannubhai,

Since your XUV already has a good projector lens based headlamp system (which is good for HID lamps) , you can consider upgrading the headlights to Xenon HID lamps + gear - I saw a few kits from Osram / Philips today and they are in the range of 10K for lamps + electronic ballast. It will be a huge upgrade in terms of the light levels.
We are planning on making this upgrade when we get delivery of our XUV too (End-November delivery!).

What other upgrades / addons are you planning for the Mamba..?

Regards,
Behemoth
Wouldn't this void your warranty? My W6 would be delivered this week and i too wanted to upgrade it to HID's but the warranty issue is making me think again. Also someone said that if i add HID, i might have problems with the lights as they have that curve feature which automatically turns with steering. Is this true?
Please advice.
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 10:33   #127
Senior - BHPian

Munnabhai,

Congratulations on the first TBHP XUV! It looks awesome on black.
Happy Motoring!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 13:51   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Also someone said that if i add HID, i might have problems with the lights as they have that curve feature which automatically turns with steering. Is this true?
Please advice.
I don't think these lights turn. Its just an on/off light which is turned on if the wheels are turning more than 45 degrees below some speed, I guess its 30kmph. So IMO any changes to main headlights shouldn't affect this function.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 14:08   #129
BHPian

Munnabhai, Congratulations! Your car looks fabulous. The black color does its bit to understate the front honeycomb work.

Following is from Autocar review:

"The big problem is the way the front-wheel-drive XUV500 behaves under hard acceleration. There’s a fair amount of torque steer when you floor the right pedal and on a loose surface, the steering kickback can be pretty vicious. Powering out of tight corners, the weight transfer to the rear wheels make the XUV’s steering go a bit woozy. Also, the 235/65-R17 tyres squeal without too much provocation and could do with more grip.

The XUV features disc brakes all around while ABS and EBD are standard across the range. What is slightly disconcerting, though, is the slightly wooden feel of the brake pedal in the first few millimetres of travel. But depress the brake pedal further down and you will realise the strong brakes are more than up to the task."

Did you observe this? What is your feel to it?
raghavv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 16:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't this void your warranty? My W6 would be delivered this week and i too wanted to upgrade it to HID's but the warranty issue is making me think again. Also someone said that if i add HID, i might have problems with the lights as they have that curve feature which automatically turns with steering. Is this true?
Please advice.
Hi Nitin,

Installing good make (Philips / Osram) HID lamps should not void warranty as they are available with OEM connectors and no cutting of the wiring harness is done.
For dynamic curve lighting, it is done either through foglamps which turn on when the steering is turned (this is how it works in my Yeti) or through a moving reflector in the headlamp unit. In both cases, the physical Lamp units are never moved.
Check with Mahindra service and they may do the HID kit installation for you with an Osram / Philips kit.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 1st November 2011, 18:35   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Nitin,

Installing good make (Philips / Osram) HID lamps should not void warranty as they are available with OEM connectors and no cutting of the wiring harness is done.
For dynamic curve lighting, it is done either through foglamps which turn on when the steering is turned (this is how it works in my Yeti) or through a moving reflector in the headlamp unit. In both cases, the physical Lamp units are never moved.
Check with Mahindra service and they may do the HID kit installation for you with an Osram / Philips kit.

Regards,
Behemoth
Can you please advice what would be the price range for these HID's?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 19:32   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please advice what would be the price range for these HID's?
Hi Nitin,
You can find plenty of Info on HID lighting on the relevant lighting threads. They cost around 10k including installation.
In the interest of Mannubhais thread, would request all members to keep the discussion relevant and not digress off the thread topic.
Thanks!
Old 1st November 2011, 22:50   #133
BHPian

Quote:
For dynamic curve lighting, it is done either through foglamps which turn on when the steering is turned (this is how it works in my Yeti) or through a moving reflector in the headlamp unit.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth, XUV doesn't have turning lights, as I said earlier it has only on/off lights. I was keen on checking out this feature during TD and had asked specific questions to the SA about this. I was not so happy to learn that it doesnt have turning lights.
deepaktpatil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:38   #134
BHPian

Hello All, My mamaji had taken the delivery of a Black XUV from delhi and i had gone with him for that . The experience at the dealership was amazing and i feel Mahindra has not only brought out an excellent vehicle but has also covered all corners of ownership experience as well.
Now about the vehicle. We drove the car out of the showroom and straightaway headed for Chandigarh, thats around 250 odd kilometers. For half the journey i was on the passenger seat and fiddling/checking out all the things inside the gaddi including the entertainment cum infotainment system. The interior quality is spot on( I have owned a Captiva and an Endeavour, My mamaji owns a Safari), the ambiance inside is very close to the Captiva, including the comfort levels.
What i did not like was the quality of the entertainment cum infotainment system. The GPS had a mind of its own, all through the journey it disconnected around 500 times , the tyretronics started giving an error for both the rear tyres and then suddenly, as it had appeared, the warning vanished. When we started, the system was showing the correct time, then halfway, it went from 4pm to 1.23Pm, i rectified it, but then again after about half an hour it started showing the wrong time.
Other then the electronics, the car was a breeze to drive. i took on the wheels halfway and at that time it was showing an average fuel consumption of 14.5KMpl and by the time we reached chandigarh it was averaging 15.4kmpl up. And i was not using a light foot on the speed pedal. i was averaging a speed of above 110kmph, and all through the way we were also part of numerous jams. and ohh i forgot to mention, the AC was also on throughout.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th December 2011 at 17:00. Reason: removing smiley
Gill22g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill22g View Post
Hello All, My mamaji had taken the delivery of a Black XUV from delhi and i had gone with him for that . The experience at the dealership was amazing and i feel Mahindra has not only brought out an excellent vehicle but has also covered all corners of ownership experience as well.
Now about the vehicle. We drove the car out of the showroom and straightaway headed for Chandigarh, thats around 250 odd kilometers. For half the journey i was on the passenger seat and fiddling/checking out all the things inside the gaddi including the entertainment cum infotainment system. The interior quality is spot on( I have owned a Captiva and an Endeavour, My mamaji owns a Safari), the ambiance inside is very close to the Captiva, including the comfort levels.
What i did not like was the quality of the entertainment cum infotainment system. The GPS had a mind of its own, all through the journey it disconnected around 500 times , the tyretronics started giving an error for both the rear tyres and then suddenly, as it had appeared, the warning vanished. When we started, the system was showing the correct time, then halfway, it went from 4pm to 1.23Pm, i rectified it, but then again after about half an hour it started showing the wrong time.
Other then the electronics, the car was a breeze to drive. i took on the wheels halfway and at that time it was showing an average fuel consumption of 14.5KMpl and by the time we reached chandigarh it was averaging 15.4kmpl up . And i was not using a light foot on the speed pedal. i was averaging a speed of above 110kmph, and all through the way we were also part of numerous jams. and ohh i forgot to mention, the AC was also on throughout.
Not at all encouraging. Paying 14L and then facing such stupid issues would not help XUV. I hope the electronics would not become a common issue down the line.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th December 2011 at 17:01.
neoonwheels is online now   Reply With Quote