Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 8th March 2006, 16:54   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Cross the Speedbumps at a 45 degree angle. I got this from riding super-bikes.
Trust me i did this everytime i saw a huge bump .. I was literally sideways any further and all would have thought i might have lost control and went sideways ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by z klasse
I believe the Maruti people claim it to be better than the S - Class a/c.
Yes they do , but i cant comment on it bcoz i happen to sit in a family friends E-class a few days back and the baleno AC is surely brilliant ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
You probably would have gone non-stop for quite some time. On long journeys you need to take a break of at least 15-20 mins every 2 hours especially with 3 at the back. How old is your mom?
Well actually i spoke to my mom , dad , bro and aunt regarding this .. They all felt the indica seats to be more comfy than the balenos .. And yes we all did certainly take a brake for 15mins after every 1.5hrs of running in as i didnt want to put extra load on the engine .. Moms 48 btw ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Man you got some energy .. 1200km drive, then the report and then service .. Life on the FAST lane !
call me mad , but as im typing this my bro is getting ready to take me to the showroom to bring my baby back .. Cant wait to get behind the wheel .. I myself am dumbfounded to figure out where im getting all the energy from ..

Quote:
Khatak - resolution for my car in my 1000 km report
Well i read about it now , anyways i might be working on my suspension soon .. Btw are u sure that the khatak sound is not from the mudflap hitting the ground ??

Quote:
Did you upgrade the headlights before the trip ? If not, how were the stock lights ?
Is the dash illumination a tad too bright , does it distract one during night driving ?8th March 2006 11:17
Well im still running the stock headlamps , need to upgrade to 90/100 soon , however i had no problem whatsoever night driving .. And no never felt the dials a tad too bright ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamenon
The whistling noise you get from the drivers side after a certain speed might be because of defective rubber beading which surrounds the window.
I thought that as well .. It had to be either the window beading or the side scratch preventing pads .. Have asked the showroom guys to look into it ...
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 17:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now why are you in such a hurry to complete the running in?

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 17:26   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Now why are you in such a hurry to complete the running in?

GTO
track day just around the corner..
xstream_nos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 17:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

hey dude

thats one quick 1000 km report !! all the best with your car.take care of her and wear seatbelts as always.

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 18:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
But the most heart wrenching issue for me was the bottoming out on speed bumps . . Dont know if the GC is not good enough for our elephant
Since the GC is of the same order as other cars, I believe this is more due to soft suspension, . (but that's how you get a nice ride quality ). With 4-5 adults on board, it may be reducing GC to unacceptably low level? Does anybody have any idea as to under what loading condition is the GC number in spec sheet determined??
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 18:57   #21
BHPian

After a ride in baleno and a very small drive tough it soome how goes in my best car's list. if u ask me i'll grade it
5/5 for value of money
3.5/5 for styling
4/5 for power.
4.5/5 for Driving pleasure.
10./5 for AC ( its amazing guys)
sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 19:00   #22
BHPian

Hey Mclaren thats really a quick and very well written 1000 kms report. Seems like you are having a great time with your baby.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 20:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey congrats on your new buy. Too bad you couldn't make it to Hubli this time but, there's always next time. Lemme know when ever you plan to come down.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2006, 21:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new car and also with the running-in. Guess your really excited and by the looks of it your in for a long term love story Heheh. Take it easy and hoep to catch you soon.
s0uljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 11:50   #25
BANNED

Default Balenos outing at the track !!!!

As most of u know , i had planned to take the baleno onto the track at chennai .. It certainly didnt fare as bad as i thought it would with the stock 165's .. Look GTO u have competition .. Well the car did clock really decent lap times even though all corners were being taken very cautiously ..

With better tires the handling will only improve and upgrading tyres is a must .. I just love the steering inputs u get while going into corner , u are so much in sync with where exactly ur tyres are .. Also with seating like that who needs sparcos or recaros ..

However after the strain of having taken it to mantralya and back over 1000kms in 2days , heading off to chennai the very next day , driving on the track for a good part of two days , and immediately head back to bangalore the same night .. I must say that the car held up really well .. No issues of over heating at any point .. However i did feel signs of some brake fade .. After giving it a good two days rest took out yest and she feels like NEW again , no probs , no brake fade nothing ..

Now the car stands having clocked 2600 kms in the last 8 days and trust me all it has given me is a big grin across my face every time i crank her again ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 16th March 2006 at 11:52.
Old 16th March 2006, 12:21   #26
BHPian

Guys!!!! We owned a Baleno for close to 5.5 years and have disposed it only in Jan this year and believe me the car is awesome. Maybe it looses out only on the looks but performance wise it is amongst one of the best performers available in the country today. I don't know why Maruti is not publisizing Baleno well in India.

We had purchased the car from Mangalore( my native place) and the car was the 4th one to be delivered. It was the time when Baleno was just launched. Initially when we had booked the car we had couple of mixed reactions from most of our friends and relatives. But looking at the specs I was too keen to go for it.

We drove down to Mumbai as soon as we purchased the car. Most of the time car was used in Mumbai only after that and we completed the journey comfortably within 14 hrs. It gave me a decent average of 14+ kmpl with AC's on and speed ranging between 80 to 150kmph.

Regarding the AC I should say you will never ask for anything more. The tagline which says "AC's better than S cl***" seems to be true (since I myself have never travelled in an S cl***, I can't vouch for it).

The stock tyres in the Baleno is S248 which is not in par with the performance of the car. Maruti might be providing this maybe to claim for a better average. But then after 2 years we upgraded to Bridgestone 185 tubeless tyres and also equipped the car with Aura Mags. I need to say the handling of the car improved drastically also the GC improved. One thing which always hurt me in my Baleno was that it would always hit even at the smallest of the bumps when loaded.Maruti seriously needs to do something about it. But again I have myself checked during servicing, the part which hits the ground is actually an unwanted projection from the body. So there is nothing to worry (as I always fely maybe the converter is hitting the ground). But that noise actually hurts badly.

Headlamps provided in the stock cars are also not that effective so we upgraded to 110Watts Halogens.

As far as performance is concerned, I have pushed the car close to 195kmph at the express highway that too with the stock tyres, 5 people on board with AC ON and the RPM meter had still not hit the redline.

It is pleasure to drive it in city because the gear shifting required is minimal. In the 5th Gear the car travels right for 30kmph to 180kmph. It can even cross the 100kmph mark in the 2nd gear itself, if pushed hard. I was consistently getting close to 12kmpl with AC's on and in Mumbai city conditions.

And the best part was during the July rains in Mumbai. I was in Vashi at that time and my Baleno cleared the water clogging levels more than 3 feet. I was nervous about it but had no option because my car was half way into it. I could actually see through the water since my windshield was partly submerged in water. It was an harrowing experience as the brakes were not at all effective and I was managing only with hand brakes. Later on my Mechanic told me that If at all the car had broken down due to water seepage I wud have to shell out somewhere close to 60000/- to restore the car. Only then I realised that what a risk I had taken.

Mainatainance wise the car spares were very expensive in the beginning but it dropped down drastically in last couple of years. My car had down 75000 kms and completed 5.7 yrs to be precise when we sold it but the only repairs we carried out on this car was replacing of brake pads twice and replacing of liner once and couple of shocks bushing replaced.

I was too attached to my Baleno and indeed it was a hard moment for all of us when we actually disposed it.

But to sum it up owning this car was a great experience which I can definately treasure for rest of my life. And I am sure most of the Baleno owners will definately agree with me.
sumitdongerkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2006, 12:45   #27
BANNED

Oh yes totally forgot to mention about the gearbox .. Whoever said that the baleno gearshifts are notchy must come and check out mine .. They slot in like a knife cuts thru ice - cream .. Smooth is the word .. Maybe because i was powershifting right from day 1 .. Even v1p3r was mighty impressed with how the gears were slotting in .. So all u guys try powershifting for sometime and see the difference it makes to the smoothness of shifts ..
Old 21st March 2006, 19:57   #28
BANNED

Looks like my car is due for 2nd service in about a weeks time ... Already run 4000 kms since its purchase which happens to be exactly 13 days back .. Here are the latest updates ..

Since my uncle expired we had to immediately leave to rajampet ( a small town in Andhra Pradesh) at around 11 PM , saturday .. We were in a hurry as it was a 6-7 hrs journey up ahead .. Road was brilliant with moderate traffic , reached a top speed of 150 kms/hr however maintained an average speed of 120 km/hr throughout .. The journey was pretty comfortable w.r.t driver's seating , night vision with stock headlights .. I actually enjoy driving the baleno in the nights .. Then came the deviation from the NH to the town which initially looked like a sore to the eye and ended up being one till the end .. One could easily count the patches of tarmac rather than the potholes .. The softer suspension in the BS III version still took it up really well .. Even while i was pushing the car a bit in the pot-holed filled road, parents seated at the back didnt feel the strain ..

After we were done with the pooja , got back into the car and did some rally driving in the single lane mud road .. Here i must admit that she handles beautifully .. Perfect steering response , lets u know exactly what to do next ?? And the power is so intoxicating that u feel like gunning it more and more , but within no time sense prevails and made me back off .. These 20 kms of driving certainly gave me some enjoyable moments, imagine doing 120 and suddenly u have to downshift, brake and drift across to take a turn .. Whew , intoxicating !!! .. To be honest , still prefer driving on a track ..

Then off to some temple visiting spree , we soon headed to Penchalakona .. Some magnificent temples and then we were off to Sri Kalahasti .. This temple i must say might be one of the best temples i have ever visited in south india .. Then off to tirumala , and this is where the car impressed me the most ..

With 7 adults and 2 kids ( call it car-pooling in all its glory ) .. But was helpless as we had a few last minute relatives who couldnt have been left behind , as the other car tagging along a scorpio was full too .. The next 20 odd kms were what proves the baleno to be a big hit in terms of engine performance and a personal favourite of numerous tbhpians .. Drove atleast 13 kms in 4th gear and the rest in 3rd with 7 adults + 2 kids + dicky loaded with luggage .. I was shocked to see the car still in a position to pull across the incline roads in 4th gear .. Used the 2nd gear only in two corners , which are really steep & winding..

On the way down from the hill dad took over and was happy to slide around a wee bit around corners .. Took over the wheel at palamner and drove all the way down to bangalore to end a rather mixed trip ..

Pros :

1. Brilliant ride comfort even over pathetic roads ..

2. That torque just gets more and more at you giving u a smile that widens from ear to ear , im sure all the baleno owners would agree with this ..

3. Stock headlamps with MGA fogs are adequate for some nice night driving .. Ask me , i have driven atleast 2500 kms of the 4000 kms clocked till date in night driving .. Not once did i feel the need to upgrade to better headlamps..

4. Drivers postion/comfort is bloody brilliant .. No tiredness whatsoever even after driving for days together ..

5. AC , well the more i talk about it the more a few guys will think that i have gone mad .. Blower speed at 2 in conditions over 33 deg and instant cooling ..

6. 2 ghat sections over 80 kms put together , one at raipur , the other at tirupati , some horrible roads where all i could do is drive at 50-60 km/hr .. Still FE reads 13.98 km/ltr , this considering the fact that for most part of the journey the car was loaded with additional passengers and luggage.. This car sure is spoiling me ..

Cons :

1. The low ground clearance meant i had to get everyone out twice because i was sure it would scrape to glory .. Just wondering how the lancer, OHC , NHC & fiesta would have performed in this context .. Dont mind this as long as i get that low-rider position that i so love .. The concept of tall-boy isnt too much to my liking ..

2. Would prefer slightly better rubber , 195's would do perfectly fine or maybe the same tyres as running on the Vxi ..

3. Windshield seems a bit problematic , fogs up pretty quick .. Did any of u face the same problem ?? Mainly on the outside , the defogger takes care of the inside fogging up instantly , but clearing up the fogging on the outside of the glass posed a problem at times ..

4. Seatbelts get stuck at times , a problem with all marutis i guess .. Used to happen on my zen too ...

5. The non-existant 6th gear .. Its not only me , but my dad and psycho who were frantically searching to see if they were already running in 5th or not .. The car does pull like mad even in 5th and at times makes one feel that u might be in 4th .. Still remember psycho saying " This car needs a bloody 6th gear" while coming back from chennai after track day .. Samurai , supremebaleno and all the other baleno owners , did u guys ever feel the same ??

I think thats enough of my ranting !!!! At this rate my car should be in for 2nd service by say next but next week .. Next trip would be the TBHP long drive should it happen this sunday .. Until then my poor baby deserves some badly needed rest ...

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 21st March 2006 at 19:58.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:25   #29
BHPian

WOW 7 adults & 2 kids in a baleno?? u sure that its not 2 adults & 7 kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
With 7 adults and 2 kids ( call it car-pooling in all its glory ) .. But was helpless as we had a few last minute relatives who couldnt have been left behind , as the other car tagging along a scorpio was full too .. The next 20 odd kms were what proves the baleno to be a big hit in terms of engine performance and a personal favourite of numerous tbhpians .. Drove atleast 13 kms in 4th gear and the rest in 3rd with 7 adults + 2 kids + dicky loaded with luggage .. I was shocked to see the car still in a position to pull across the incline roads in 4th gear .. Used the 2nd gear only in two corners , which are really steep & winding..
Note from Mods: Please do not whole post unless there is a total correlation to what you are writing. You are only wasting space and other's reading time

Last edited by ajmat : 21st March 2006 at 21:49.
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2006, 21:34   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
WOW 7 adults & 2 kids in a baleno?? u sure that its not 2 adults & 7 kids
im not that bad at maths neither am i that blind .. Sitting at the rear were my mom , dad , uncle , cousin sis and the 2 kids (ones 8 and the others 10 yrs) .. At the front were my aunt and my bro (both are pretty thin) and me driving .. Hope that clears ur doubt ..

Sure was painful to see , however had no choice ..

PS : This arrangement was only from tirupati to tirumala and back to tirupati .. For the rest of the journey we had not more than 5 adults in the car and no kids ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 21st March 2006 at 21:37.