Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2014, 07:47   #241
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 151
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
It is one extra place to clean, that is all.
Seems from the picture that the door lock mechanism isn't well protected. Wonder what would happen during monsoon. If a truck passes by and splashes muddy water straight in. Must admit though that I never heard of any etioses with door related problems (lock or otherwise) due to the missing rubber.

Mind sharing some details like date of purchase, dealer, OTR, discounts, freebies etc? I'm seriously considering the etios hence asking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohanan View Post
Depends on how dusty your area is! It's relative and results will vary
Isn't that the whole purpose of having it? For that area to remain protected regardless of how dust levels vary!
isiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 19:57   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: 29 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Seems from the picture that the door lock mechanism isn't well protected. Wonder what would happen during monsoon.
I haven't faced any issue so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post

Mind sharing some details like date of purchase, dealer, OTR, discounts, freebies etc? I'm seriously considering the etios hence asking.
I purchased the VD SP model (top end with safety package, i.e. ABS and Airbags) from Ravindu Toyota in July 2013. At that time OTR was 9.64 lakhs (including a discount of 18K). But in subsequent months, I saw ads in papers that the discount was raised to 35K. Moreover with the tax reliefs post budget, I guess the price now may be less than what I paid then.

Freebeis I got was reverse parking sensor and bumper corner protectors.
motorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 14:51   #243
BHPian
 
drsingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 614
Thanked: 403 Times
Default

A bit OT, but this is for @amalji


http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/07/27...nted=all&_r=1&
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 19:56   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
Wow. That's a comprehensive ownership review for Toyota Etios. I just read 1st page and have to sign off now. Shall come back and read the entire thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
I've been closely (and silently) following your thread for a long time. Thanks for all the info and eagerly awaiting your 40K update!
Sorry, was off team-bhp for a while. And owning this car is so boring. No issues, or no surprises. Everytime, you visit the service center, it's just a very few replacements. And that's it.

Regarding 40,000 kms service, I paid for the 40,000 kms + 50,000 kms SMILES pack. If my memory is correct, It costed around 10.000 INR odd ( synthetic oil for both services + wheel alignment + balancing for both service ).

Toyota recommends only mineral oil. So, had I opted for the stock oil, I would have paid around 6,500 for the same SMILES pack ( of 40,000 + 50,000 service )

Replacements done - 40000 kms

Oil ( Synthetic ), Oil filter, oil gasket
Brake fluid.
Windshield washer fluid.
Air Filter

Replacements done - 50000 kms

Oil ( Synthetic ), Oil filter, oil gasket
Windshield washer fluid.

Brake pads left after 40,000 kms - 5.5 mm
Brake pads left after 50,000 kms - 3.6 mm

So, I can expect my next brake pad replacement at 60,000 kms.

No other surprises. It's so boring to own a Toyota. I have banged this car in many a pot holes at high speeds. Never has it caused an issue. I've used the Zen, Esteem, Swift extensively and I'm certain that all of these cars would have gone through lower arm, suspension bush and tie rod end issues by this time with my kind of driving style. But, this vehicle has stood the test of time. 54,000 kms without even a minor glitch even after the kind of aggressive driving I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
Last week I took a longish test drive of the etios vd top end. I found that the engine noise, though clearly audible was nowehere near being bothersome or tiring. Behavior over bad roads was pretty good too and the steering, gearshift and clutch felt great. I think I'm ready to forgive the single wiper, 4 alloy wheels (as opposed to 5), 35w (read useless) fog lamps, central console etc. If all goes well, I should be booking one soon
Regarding the single wiper, take my word on it. It's not at all a compromise. I prefer this dual arm mono wiper of the Etios more than the double wiper of conventional cars due to 2 reasons.
  1. It doesn't leave a mark after each half wipe at the center of the windshield.
  2. The huge non-circular sweep cleans more area than most dual wipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
BTW, have you faced problems of muck accumulating around the doors due to lack of door rubber beading? Can we install an aftermarket beading?
Not much of an issue in Kerala due to the humid and non-dusty climate. But, when I take the car to Tamil Nadu, yes, dust gets accumulated between the door and the door beeding. But, it's very easy to clean though. Just a wipe with a wet cloth is all that is needed.

One of my friends have installed the beeding of the Skoda Octavia on his Liva. He said, it fits perfectly. I'll post images of it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If a door isn't opened for a few days, the first time it sticks and needs effort. The beading is the culprit. Any fixes anyone knows? Dusting of talcum powder perhaps?
I would recommend that you don't do anything about it. Just pull it hard when you don't use it for a few weeks.

Complaint that cropped up recently.

The symptom

Air conditioner compressor switches off at low speed and works normally when the car moves fast.

The issue

Fuse for the Radiator fan got blown ( This was probably because the car went through a water logged road in Alappuzha - Changanassery Road the previous day. and there might have been an electric short. The water level was around the front number plate region )

Current Status

Fixed.
Called up Toyota, visited them at around 11 am. They checked it and found out that the 30A fuse was blown. Replaced it. Since, I asked for a wash they did that as well.
Got a call back from Toyota by 4 pm saying the repair and washing is completed.

This is how the total split of cost came like.

30 A fuse - 160 ( 140 + 20 tax )
Labour - 38
Washing Charge - 362

Also, on a different note, I'm glad that I had synthetic oil instead of mineral as in times of higher temperatures ( when the radiator fan is not working, and I'm driving slowly through the city ) synthetic oil is supposed to hold on to its viscosity and lubrication property better than mineral oil.

Current odo reading is at 54,000 kms odd and the vehicle just runs and runs without any issues. Just love it.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2014 at 17:12. Reason: No more than 2 smileys / post please. Thanks!
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 20:26   #245
BHPian
 
samish_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 199
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Fuse for the Radiator fan got blown ( This was probably because the car went through a water logged road in Alappuzha - Changanassery Road the previous day. and there might have been an electric short. The water level was around the front number plate region )

They checked it and found out that the 30A fuse was blown. Replaced it. Since, I asked for a wash they did that as well.
Got a call back from Toyota by 4 pm saying the repair and washing is completed.
Amalji Sir,
Glad to know the problem is solved.
However, I have two questions.

1. If the water level was upto the front number plate region, why should it cause a fuse blow out? As far as I know, there is no outside temperature sensor (also referred to as thermistor in some cases) in Etios or Liva. So I wanted to understand, which connector coupler was affected by the water.

2. Where is the location of this fuse? Is it in the engine room fuse block or is it in the Instrument Panel cluster or behind the combination meter?

Regards,

Samish
samish_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2014, 21:11   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
1. If the water level was upto the front number plate region, why should it cause a fuse blow out? As far as I know, there is no outside temperature sensor (also referred to as thermistor in some cases) in Etios or Liva. So I wanted to understand, which connector coupler was affected by the water.
The electric connection to the radiator fan is given at around 10 - 15 % height of the radiator fan which is very close to the number plate area. Even when the water is at a height of the number plate, the waves created by other vehicles combined with the movement of our own car is enough to create splashes to the height of the radiator fan. Consistent splashes might have created a short here. Add to that the saline nature of the water that we are dealing with here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
2. Where is the location of this fuse? Is it in the engine room fuse block or is it in the Instrument Panel cluster or behind the combination meter?
The fuse which secures the radiator fan is located in the engine room fuse box.

Pictures attached

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!-img_20140819_173510.jpg
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!-img_20140819_173548.jpg
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2014, 00:01   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Post Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : Now at 54,000 kms

Etios is at 56,500 kms now. The brake pedal gave a slight rubbing sound, and I took the car to Toyota Service ( Since, I was aware that only 3.3 mm of brake pads were left after the 50,000 kms service ). And as expected, it was the last 1 mm of brake pads at work.

The last 1 mm has a small metal piece to give a warning to the driver to replace the brake pads. That was the reason, I was getting the rubbing feeling on the brake pedal while applying the brakes.

In addition, I also asked the service center guys to check the following as well.
  • Slight vibrating sound from glovebox in certain rpms.
  • Coconut fell into my bonnet, and it caused a small dent. It's hard to notice from a distance. But, decided to get it repaired since I already lost the no claim bonus this year.

Toyota called me today and told that they got approval from my insurance company ( MS Chola ) for replacing the bonnet. Since, the insurance for the car is bumper to bumper, all I will have to pay is Rs. 1,000/- Toyota has ordered for the bonnet. They told, they should be able to return the car by Wednesday.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2014, 12:57   #248
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,062
Thanked: 3,367 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

@amalji - have you experienced hits to the underbody when negotiating larger speed breakers/humps ?
Asking since I recently saw on couple of occasions Etios cars literally crawling at an angle to negotiate speed humps.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 10:23   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 86
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

My vehicle Etios Liva has this problem, if 4 people are seated in the car will have negotiate the speed breakers/humps very carefully, have got it hit around 4/5 times badly.
Had complained about this during 10K service and some change were done but still this repeats.
srinivasmhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 16:01   #250
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 301
Thanked: 359 Times
Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@amalji - have you experienced hits to the underbody when negotiating larger speed breakers/humps ?
Asking since I recently saw on couple of occasions Etios cars literally crawling at an angle to negotiate speed humps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasmhn View Post
My vehicle Etios Liva has this problem, if 4 people are seated in the car will have negotiate the speed breakers/humps very carefully, have got it hit around 4/5 times badly.
Had complained about this during 10K service and some change were done but still this repeats.
In the first generation Etios and Liva both front and rear suspensions were softer and in addition the front suspension used to give a thud sound when the car used to be crashed at speed breakers.

Both these things were fixed in the subsequent iterations. Whoever complained of the thud sound they were offered newer front suspension replacement free of cost under warranty. The newer front suspension resulted in slightly firmer ride albeit with better handling.

Whoever complained of easy bottoming out under load were initially offered some spacers (that too at select dealerships; later these were withdrawn) which did not do great. I personally got my Etios' rear shocks replaced at my own cost and it eliminated the problem altogether.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2014, 22:23   #251
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Hi Amalji, I have been following your posts on the Etios twins quite closely

I own a Petrol Liva, and I have an issue with it which the Service Center ignores as 'Normal'. After I crank up the engine, I usual warm it up for 30 secs before moving on. On first gear, which engaging the clutch the RPM Drops and the car almost stalls. Usually i see the Liva idling at arounf 780~800RPM.

Once I let go of the clutch and before I can accelerate there this RPM Drop happens. This doesn't happen when the A/C is on. I disconnected the battery and reset the ECU(I believe that does it). On Restart the car behaved weird for 20- 30 kms, with the RPM fluctuating erratically. about 50 kms later it came back to the same state it was earlier.

This is a 1.2L V variant and has covered about 30K kms. Could anyone here help ?
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 02:44   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@amalji - have you experienced hits to the underbody when negotiating larger speed breakers/humps ?
Asking since I recently saw on couple of occasions Etios cars literally crawling at an angle to negotiate speed humps.
A few points.
  • With the 2011 model suspensions, it was bad. If you take a hump with some speed, there is a high chance that it will hit the under body.
  • But, with the newly designed stiffer suspensions that they gave free of cost under warranty to resolve the famous thud bug of the initial batches of Etios, this is no longer an issue.
  • But, when the car is fully loaded, it can still scrap. As @mroptimist pointed out, changing the rear suspensions to the newly designed ones would solve this as well. But, I did not go for it yet because the best place to be on the Etios for long drives is the rear seat. It absorbs all the undulations and pot holes perfect. So, I do not want to make it stiff for now. So, will probably think of the stiffer suspensions only after the current one gives up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
I own a Petrol Liva, and I have an issue with it which the Service Center ignores as 'Normal'. After I crank up the engine, I usual warm it up for 30 secs before moving on. On first gear, which engaging the clutch the RPM Drops and the car almost stalls. Usually i see the Liva idling at arounf 780~800RPM.

Once I let go of the clutch and before I can accelerate there this RPM Drop happens. This doesn't happen when the A/C is on. I disconnected the battery and reset the ECU(I believe that does it). On Restart the car behaved weird for 20- 30 kms, with the RPM fluctuating erratically. about 50 kms later it came back to the same state it was earlier.

This is a 1.2L V variant and has covered about 30K kms. Could anyone here help ?
Are you sure, you are letting go the clutch with adequate accelerator input ? It doesn't happen with the AC on, because the RPM is already at a higher level and it has enough torque to pull on without additional accelerator input.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:46   #253
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Are you sure, you are letting go the clutch with adequate accelerator input ? It doesn't happen with the AC on, because the RPM is already at a higher level and it has enough torque to pull on without additional accelerator input.
Hi Amalji,

Firstly, the clutch engages only when the lever is almost 95% released. So any Throttle input earlier than that just revvs without any forward movement. And at that high RPM, the car surges forward once the remainder 5% is released. Like how newbie drivers drive. Now on previous cars, atleast with 1 or 2 occupants, the car used to pull directly without any throttle input up to may be 10-15 kmph. Even on perfect mesh between clutch & throttle, there is a slight shudder thats felt right upto the Steering, gear and foot levers.

Another thing I noticed was that the engine shudders violently at take off. other wise its fine. Not sure if this warrants an engine mount upgrade similar to what you did. Or the car is nearing 10K kms from previous service, could that be a reason too ?
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 01:48   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Etios is at 56,500 kms now. The brake pedal gave a slight rubbing sound, and I took the car to Toyota Service ( Since, I was aware that only 3.3 mm of brake pads were left after the 50,000 kms service ). And as expected, it was the last 1 mm of brake pads at work.

The last 1 mm has a small metal piece to give a warning to the driver to replace the brake pads. That was the reason, I was getting the rubbing feeling on the brake pedal while applying the brakes.

In addition, I also asked the service center guys to check the following as well.
  • Slight vibrating sound from glovebox in certain rpms.
  • Coconut fell into my bonnet, and it caused a small dent. It's hard to notice from a distance. But, decided to get it repaired since I already lost the no claim bonus this year.
Toyota called me today and told that they got approval from my insurance company ( MS Chola ) for replacing the bonnet. Since, the insurance for the car is bumper to bumper, all I will have to pay is Rs. 1,000/- Toyota has ordered for the bonnet. They told, they should be able to return the car by Wednesday.
Forgot to give an update on this.
  • Bonnet Replacement and Paint Quality - Good. All I had to pay - Rs. 1,000/- ( the minimum charge for Bumper to Bumper claim )
  • Brake pad replacement was done promptly.
  • Glove Box side rattling - Not Fixed ( The sound comes only on certain kind of terrains ). Had to take the car again to the service center to get this resolved. It was coming from one of the AC vents. Thankfully, Toyota has a rattling fix kit for most parts in the dash. So, they just fixed the one for the AC vent near the glove box and it is resolved. So no more rattles. . The rattling issue was handled free of charge under warranty.
In the meantime, also replaced 4 tyres at around 56,000 kms with the same brand and model I was having since 14,000 kms. ( So, a total of 42,000 odd kms with the old tyres ).

Model is Bridgestone Turanza ER300
Size - Stock Size - 185/60 R15
Dealer - DBS Tyres , Palarivattom Kochi (24 hour Wheel Alignment, Balancing, Tyres & Alloys : DBS (Cochin))
Prize - 19,500 for ( 4 tyres, + alignment and balancing ). Also, got a bridgestone back pack bag as gift
Reason for choosing the above tyres - Happy with the grip, noise control and comfort.
Reason for choosing DBS tyres - Many positive feedback in team-bhp and among my friends. And I also had a great experience there ( in addition to them giving me the best price )

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hi Amalji,

Firstly, the clutch engages only when the lever is almost 95% released. So any Throttle input earlier than that just revvs without any forward movement. And at that high RPM, the car surges forward once the remainder 5% is released. Like how newbie drivers drive. Now on previous cars, atleast with 1 or 2 occupants, the car used to pull directly without any throttle input up to may be 10-15 kmph. Even on perfect mesh between clutch & throttle, there is a slight shudder thats felt right upto the Steering, gear and foot levers.

Another thing I noticed was that the engine shudders violently at take off. other wise its fine. Not sure if this warrants an engine mount upgrade similar to what you did. Or the car is nearing 10K kms from previous service, could that be a reason too ?
This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the engine mount. Try driving another Liva Petrol test drive car from the showroom. Then try yours. If there is a difference, push the service center to take the responsibility and fix it for you.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th November 2014 at 08:31.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2014, 15:10   #255
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 301
Thanked: 359 Times
Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Model is Bridgestone Turanza ER60
Size - Stock Size - 185/60 R15
185/60/ R15 is not available in ER60. I think you meant ER300 which comes as OEM on Etios & Liva.

Here is the link.

http://www.bridgestone.co.in/SelectT...atio=60&dia=15

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update saadat1992 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 357 7th November 2016 11:40
My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report fast&furious Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 20th September 2016 13:32
Toyota ETIOS Ownership review : 2,000km report vebmetal Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 6th June 2011 22:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks