Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th April 2016, 13:45   #331
BHPian

Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hi guys,

The mileage came out to approx 15-16 kpl with 70% highway & 30% city driving. Car was fully loaded with 4 pax & luggage. Highway speeds were usual 80-90 with usual blasts of 100 kph. I really a unable to fathom why isn't the mileage improving? The third service just got done too.
Just want to comment on the mileage that you are getting. This is definitely on the lower side. My car has run more than 65k kms and my average mileage (50% highway and 50% city) is 19.1kmpl. And i am still running my car on mineral oil. You may want to visit the service center and check with them on the mileage thing.
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 16:21   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Just want to comment on the mileage that you are getting. This is definitely on the lower side. My car has run more than 65k kms and my average mileage (50% highway and 50% city) is 19.1kmpl. And i am still running my car on mineral oil. You may want to visit the service center and check with them on the mileage thing.
In fact when I took it for service a week ago, the service advisor quoted the Liva diesel gives anything between 7-12 kpl! And was surprised when I said I get 15! This takes me back to my Hyundai days when by actually changing the oil I ended up getting better mileage and performance.

My question to you: On a full tank to full tank method minus 6 litres for reserve, how many kms do you clock? I'll clock close to 600 now. Divide that by 39( which is usually how much I end up fuelling ) gets me 15.38kpl.

What do I tell them about the mileage? What will they check to fix the same?

Last edited by coolmel : 18th April 2016 at 16:23.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 16:31   #333
BHPian

Quote:
In fact when I took it for service a week ago, the service advisor quoted the Liva diesel gives anything between 7-12 kpl! And was surprised when I said I get 15! This takes me back to my Hyundai days when by actually changing the oil I ended up getting better mileage and performance.

My question to you: On a full tank to full tank method minus 6 litres for reserve, how many kms do you clock? I'll clock close to 600 now. Divide that by 39( which is usually how much I end up fuelling ) gets me 15.38kpl.

I have also checked with couple of OLA/UBER drivers and got to hear the same figures (around 19kmpl) from them as well.
I am hereby attaching my 'fuel expense' sheet for your reference. I always calculate mileage based on full-tank to full-tank method. I rarely drives till my car goes for 'reserve' and most of the times, i fill fuel when either 3 or 4 bars are still left.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Liva.xlsx (43.9 KB, 146 views)
kavensri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 19:02   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have also checked with couple of OLA/UBER drivers and got to hear the same figures (around 19kmpl) from them as well.
I am hereby attaching my 'fuel expense' sheet for your reference. I always calculate mileage based on full-tank to full-tank method. I rarely drives till my car goes for 'reserve' and most of the times, i fill fuel when either 3 or 4 bars are still left.
But again, on other threads I've read people quoting different mileage figures. Kinda puzzling. I asked you something sir.
Old 19th April 2016, 16:14   #335
BHPian

I have Live GD run around 35K Kms and getting mileage of around 18-20 Kms ( 30% AC usage) with 25% City and 75% Highway driving (BLR - Nice Road). Full time AC usage drops mileage by 2+ kms

Thanks
srinivasmhn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:47   #336
BHPian

Just checked the manual and learnt the Liva is preferred to run with a 5W30 grade oil. The Mobil Delvac comes with a 5W40 grade. The Toyota Synthetic & Delvac are priced more or less the same. Looking forward to giving it a try as I near 20000 kms.

Having used Mobil previously I can vouch for it eyes closed. Denso is also good but I got a feeling the Mobil can be a notch better.

Let's see how it goes. If anyone has used Delvac on their Toyotas please share your feedback on the same.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:52   #337

Completed 23000km on my Etios diesel now.

There were some fuel efficiency questions above so posting my experience. I get an an average of 18-20kmpl with tank full to tank full method. Infact all my refills are always tank full. Don't remember ever topping it up. This is with 30℅ city and 70% highway. AC always ON in city and used may be half the time during my highway runs.

I had taken the car for its 20000Km service at DSK Toyota, Bavdha, Pune last month. Posting my experience -
There was some kind of sound from right front suspension that I mentioned to the SA. It use to come when the suspension were worked on a gentle high hump speed breakers. It seemed to me its due to some hard rubber bushing but left to the SA and mechanic to check. I did not get the car the same day. The SA seemed to be honest enough to tell me that the problem was not being diagnosed yet and they will need more time. Next day evening the SA called to say that the car is ready and even the problem is resolved. I took a test drive on arrival at the workshop. The problem was gone. The suspension had to be removed, right arm disengaged and complete lubrication was done. I still failed to know what part was making the noise. Nevertheless, was happy it has gone
I liked the patience that the SA and the mechanic had to hear my problems and their eagerness to resolve it. Have driven 3K after my service and no problem so far.
The service cost was regular at 2480/- .

The tyre noise on concrete roads at around 100kmph is a bit intrusive. Still with the stock Goodyear tyres.Did any of you tried fitting the rubber beading around the doors and does it help reducing the external noise by any extent?
Doc_Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2016, 16:50   #338
BHPian

Since the official Etios/Liva thread is buzzing with the new Etios discussions, and this seems to be the unofficial Etios thread, posting my query here.

A few days back, I drove out my 6 month old Liva GD, and had barely covered less than a Km, when I happened to glance in the rear view mirror and see a huge trail of white smoke behind. For the first few seconds, I thought it is some polluting 2-stroke scooter or autorikshaw, until I realized it was coming from my own car.

I immediately pulled over, stopped the engine and jumped out, fearing a fire in the car, given so many stories of drivers getting charred by car fires.

Immediately called the Toyota RSA on the number that is there on the sticker at the back of the car, and they said a towing vehicle will reach in an hour.
While waiting for the tow, I decided to move the car to a better spot, as although I had pulled over to the side of the road, it still was eating up a lot of usable road space as I had just jumped out of it in panic. Started the car cautiously again, with all the windows open and it still smoked up like earlier. The smoke was coming from the exhaust pipe. Switched the car off, and put on the hazard blinkers. This smoke resembled the kind the municipal corporation workers spray during rains (fumigation is the word I believe) during/after the rainy seasons to kill mosquitoes.

Waited around 20-25 minutes more, and by now evening traffic was picking up, and my car was kind of becoming a bottleneck on a busy junction. So, once again thought of moving it. Started the car again, and this time no smoke - cautiously moved it to the service lane, this time let the engine running to see if the smoke comes again. Waited 3-4 minutes but no smoke.

With the tow service nowhere in sight, decided to drive it to the Toyota dealership/workshop, which is less than a km from my place. Drove very slowly (~40km/h) and reached the workshop, which had closed for the day by then.

This is when the tow service reached the place I was stranded at, and I told them that I had already reached the workshop. They asked me to leave the car at the workshop overnight, as they wont be able to have a look at the car on that day, and would diagnose it in the morning. The mechanic said it may be a Turbo issue, and advised against driving the car.

So, left the car there, and took an auto back home.

Next day, an SA calls up to check what had happened, and i explain the whole thing to him. He says he will diagnose and let me know.

i call back in 3-4 and he says that the ECU setting had gone wrong, and they have reset the same, and the car works fine now, and they don't see any problem. He had no explanations for why the ECU settings went wrong though.

Picked up the car, and have been driving it ever since - been almost a week now, no problems/smoke so far.

Some facts about the car in question:
No. of kms covered - 7780kms
Last fuel filled - Normal diesel was filled a week ago, and the car has been regularly in use since then.
The only electrical accessory in the car at the time of the incident was the Hella Red grills (installed using a relay) installed 3-4 months back. The car had even been on a longish (~800kms) trip too post this install, and no problems.
No music system had been installed yet at the time of the incident. (The SA mentioned music system installs to be a cause for ECU settings to go awry, but when I mentioned the car has no music system, he was blank again)

My question is, is this normal? Should I be worried?

Last edited by Sinner666 : 6th June 2016 at 16:55.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 18:00   #339
Senior - BHPian

Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridutt View Post
Hi Amalji, I get around 18 kmpl in my etios (TP 34 - bad roads around my home, and a driving style like yours), and about 21/22 kmpl on the highways (TP 32, and smooth style of driving). The next time you plan a trip, would you please try a tank-to-tank method to calculate?

It'd be great to get stats from you because as I read, I realize your driving style is inclined to get better economy than mine. Oh and I am somewhere about 41K kms on the odo.
The mileage on highway that you mentioned is achievable. I normally get in the range of 20 kmpl. It can be +/- 1.5 kmpl depending on the following factors.
  • mood I'm driving ( hard acceleration and more braking kills mileage )
  • the amount of weight I've loaded the vehicle with.
  • The ambient temperature
  • How much of AC I use

With regards to city driving. It can greatly vary depending on the kind of traffic you encounter. So, 18 kmpl is not a realistic benchmark for city driving. It can vary from place to place. And it's rarely that we end up driving only in the city driving condition for tank full to tank full. We'll end up with relaxed driving in some bits of that. The % of such drives greatly varies the city driving mileage.

And yes, I always do tankful to tankful. Any other method of calculation including that of MID is prone to errors. I use MID only to get a relative idea about what kind of driving style gets you better mileage.

Quote:
Hi guys,

My Liva VD just crossed 14k kms and just completed a short trip of 400 kms yesterday. The mileage came out to approx 15-16 kpl with 70% highway & 30% city driving. Car was fully loaded with 4 pax & luggage. Highway speeds were usual 80-90 with usual blasts of 100 kph. I really a unable to fathom why isn't the mileage improving? The third service just got done too.
Even if you get 18 kmpl for highway and 12 kmpl for city, you will end up with an average mileage of 15.6 kmpl for 70:30 highway:city. My recommendation is to calculate mileage only for highway driving. Just before a highway trip, fill up the tank ( till auto stop ) from a BP/HP/Shell/Reliance pump. Do not shake and fill after auto stop. At the end of the highway trip, fill it up again till auto stop. Use the same brand Diesel preferrably the same machine of the same filling station. Calculate the mileage. Keep the speed at around 90 kmph and 100 kmph.

Other tips
  • Drive in the right gears ( < 10 kmph = 1st gear, < 30 kmph = 2nd gear, < 50 kmph = 3rd gear, < 70 kmph = 4th gear )
  • Plan your overtakes by keeping a distance with the car in front and accelerate smoothly using the turbo range ( 1800 - 2400 rpms ) when you do decide to overtake.
  • The lesser you brake, the better mileage you will get. Again keep distance to avoid needless braking.
  • Use Engine braking whenever needed. When you remove the pedal of the accelerator and the car is decelerating, the fuel usage is absolute zero thanks to DFCO. The same is the case when you are coming down hill in a ghat road. You can come down the slop in gear with zero fuel usage.

Let us know your mileage in highway first. Then we can see if it's the kind of traffic you encounter in the city or the way you drive in city or if it's an issue with your car as such which results in lesser mileage.

Quote:
I really want to experiment with a better oil & find out. Keen on the Fully Synthetic Toyota offers & the Mobil Delvac. Grades are identical, the Delvac offers more range actually(5W40 compared to Toyotas 5W30). What do you reckon?

Inputs will be appreciated, as always.
I doubt, that the effect would be much. Mileage difference should only be marginal. Regardless, I would recommend to stick with Toyota synthetic.

Quote:
In fact when I took it for service a week ago, the service advisor quoted the Liva diesel gives anything between 7-12 kpl! And was surprised when I said I get 15!
You have met a service advisor who just want to push around and doesn't want to do his job.

Quote:

For a mix of city and highway driving, that's around the same kms that I cover. For highway only, it can get close to 800 kms though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hudson View Post
The tyre noise on concrete roads at around 100kmph is a bit intrusive. Still with the stock Goodyear tyres.Did any of you tried fitting the rubber beading around the doors and does it help reducing the external noise by any extent?
Just wait for the stock tyres to get over and then replace it with Michelin XM2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post

i call back in 3-4 and he says that the ECU setting had gone wrong, and they have reset the same, and the car works fine now, and they don't see any problem. He had no explanations for why the ECU settings went wrong though.

Picked up the car, and have been driving it ever since - been almost a week now, no problems/smoke so far.

My question is, is this normal? Should I be worried?
Ask him the following questions.
  • Was he able to reproduce the issue ?
  • What made him take the judgement that the ECU setting went wrong ?
  • What exactly was the error in ECU setting ?
  • Did he change the version of firmware installed on the ECU ?

Last edited by amalji : 9th August 2016 at 18:04.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 10:30   #340

I am planning to upgrade my Etios stock headlamps . I want to stick to the recommended 55/60W power and avoid any additional wiring. How about the Philips Xtreme vision, is there a significant difference in vision when compared to the stock lamps? Any other recommendations apart from the Philips extreme vision?
Old 21st August 2016, 21:33   #341

Quote:
I am planning to upgrade my Etios stock headlamps . I want to stick to the recommended 55/60W power and avoid any additional wiring. How about the Philips Xtreme vision, is there a significant difference in vision when compared to the stock lamps? Any other recommendations apart from the Philips extreme vision?
I have installed Philips Rally Bulb 100/90 W with adding relay and additional wiring harness from MINDA. Relay with wiring harness is simply plug and play modification without any cut on existing wiring system. It involves max of 15 minutes time and result is splendid.Post modification I have driven 10,000 kms without any trouble. In fact my Zen has also got this alteration and last month I got same in my friends Xcent. But in Xcent we had to drill in Bulb holder cover to pass the wire and subsequently filled the hole with some adhesive. Electrician charged Rs. 500/- for a pair of bulb, Rs. 800/- for wiring harness with relay from MINDA and Rs. 100/- for labor. Now the driving is pleasure in night on highways with high speed.
rch_vijayant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016, 11:23   #342
Senior - BHPian

Post re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
If you want to stick with 55/60 W, go with Philips Xtreme Vision plus
And changing only at the left side would be more than enough. Making the right side bright will only aide in making it more difficult for the oncoming traffic.

I've used 90/100 rally bulbs on both my old cars - Esteem and Zen and the relay failed when it was most needed when the car was with my parents. But, these stock wiring rarely fails. This is in the long run, not for 2-3 years of use.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 14:48   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
If you want to stick with 55/60 W, go with Philips Xtreme Vision plus
And changing only at the left side would be more than enough. Making the right side bright will only aide in making it more difficult for the oncoming traffic.
Thanks Amalji for the input. I drive quite a few times at night which are long highway trips around 300KM. So reliability is of prime importance. I would prefer going with the Philips Xtreme plus.
Old 11th September 2016, 07:31   #344

The Fuel gauge shows 10 bars, but these bars don't seam to represent equal amount of fuel. The last one gives me about 150-160 km where as next gives only 70-80 and 3 or 4 gives less then 40 . I spoke to SA in Ravindu Toyota but could not get satisfactory answer.

Any idea how much fuel does each bar represent ?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!-image.jpeg  

SMARTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 14:58   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTF View Post
The Fuel gauge shows 10 bars, but these bars don't seam to represent equal amount of fuel. The last one gives me about 150-160 km where as next gives only 70-80 and 3 or 4 gives less then 40 . I spoke to SA in Ravindu Toyota but could not get satisfactory answer.

Any idea how much fuel does each bar represent ?
Mine is the pre facelift one with the yellow display. I have 8 bars in total & I believe the last one holds about 10 litres and the others have about 5.
The last one gives me about 220~ km on the highways (max: 283km) and the rest of the bars go down between 100-110km.
It also depends on the throttle input that you give.
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote