Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th January 2017, 20:27   #361
APV
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Has anyone done DIY on replacing Left head lamp in Etios? Mine is out & tried replacing it following the user manual but find it difficult to reach it.
Remember replacing on the RHS sometime back, it was quite easy but on LHS, provision for windshield washer fluid is blocking me from accessing it. short-cuts/hints anyone?
APV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 14:23   #362
APV
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Managed to change the LHS head lamp bulb myself following the user manual. I had to gently push the washer fluid cap holder away so I can reach out the lamp. I was reluctant to do that earlier, thanks to the local electrician who said is busy today.
APV is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:49   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Here comes the 1,00,000 kms service update. This is a delayed update since, I was away from team-bhp when the service was done ( April 2016 ) This time for a change, the service was done at Amana Toyota, Wayanad
Hi Amalji - Thank you for sharing this breakup of your servicing expenses.

I was curious if you know what Toyota recommends when the diesel filter warning light comes up? The Toyota ASS that I visited today, said that in order to get rid of the warning light, I need to not only replace the fuel filter but also get the fuel tank cleaned (~5k for the total job which includes 4k for cleaning the tank).

The Liva is at 126k kms now, I understand replacing the fuel filter but not sure if cleaning the diesel tank is the norm along with it (that too if it really costs 4k to clean the tank).

Would appreciate inputs from all members!
ff1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:53   #364
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff1609 View Post
The Liva is at 126k kms now, I understand replacing the fuel filter but not sure if cleaning the diesel tank is the norm along with it (that too if it really costs 4k to clean the tank).

Would appreciate inputs from all members!
Cleaning the fuel tank is not the norm unless, if there is enough evidence which suggests that the fuel tank is dirty.

Fuel filter getting clogged at 1,26,000 kms looks quite normal to me and doesn't warrant a fuel tank cleanup. But, if you meant 12,600 kms, then it might be a good idea to do it because the Toyota fuel filters doesn't get clogged that soon normally. So, they might be suspecting dirty fuel.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 03:25   #365
BHPian

Quote:
I was curious if you know what Toyota recommends when the diesel filter warning light comes up? The Toyota ASS that I visited today, said that in order to get rid of the warning light, I need to not only replace the fuel filter but also get the fuel tank cleaned (~5k for the total job which includes 4k for cleaning the tank).
I just had a similar issue where my Etios gave a fuel alarm after 90K+ kms. This happened in two cars the other being dzire after we had filled up at a pump on Mumbai Ahmedabad highway before Gujarat border. There was no loss in power, however I had got it checked at dealer in Ahmedabad after driving some 400 kms with the alarm light on. The service advisor mentioned that it did not require immediate action though the solution was to replace the diesel filter. Since I was heading back for a long drive I had the diesel filter replaced. No other part was changed or tank cleaned. Probably you can drive around if the car is running fine till your tank runs dry and change the part after it is near to empty. However check with your SA.

Last edited by automachine : 28th January 2017 at 03:27. Reason: sentence correction
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017, 21:18   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Cleaning the fuel tank is not the norm unless, if there is enough evidence which suggests that the fuel tank is dirty.

Fuel filter getting clogged at 1,26,000 kms looks quite normal to me and doesn't warrant a fuel tank cleanup. But, if you meant 12,600 kms, then it might be a good idea to do it because the Toyota fuel filters doesn't get clogged that soon normally. So, they might be suspecting dirty fuel.

Thanks Amalji, it is 1,26,000kms
Old 30th March 2017, 08:43   #367
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
Thanks Amalji, it is 1,26,000kms
What did you finally decide on this one ?
Did you get the fuel tank cleaned up ? And if not, did the problem come back even after the fuel filter replacement ?
Old 30th March 2017, 14:14   #368
BHPian

Quote:
What did you finally decide on this one ?
Did you get the fuel tank cleaned up ? And if not, did the problem come back even after the fuel filter replacement ?

I took the filter out, cleaned it myself and put it back in- the fuel filter indicator went away and I drove all the way to Rann of Kutch but the fuel filter replacement light just came back recently after 8000kms. Considering that Toyota wants 4k+ for cleaning the tank, should I just consider getting it cleaned outside, I am assuming its not too complex a task. Or could try and do it myself.
Old 18th May 2017, 13:52   #369
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!

Quote:
I took the filter out, cleaned it myself and put it back in- the fuel filter indicator went away and I drove all the way to Rann of Kutch but the fuel filter replacement light just came back recently after 8000kms. Considering that Toyota wants 4k+ for cleaning the tank, should I just consider getting it cleaned outside, I am assuming its not too complex a task. Or could try and do it myself.
Hey, Sorry. Missed this.
I'm not sure whether the fuel filters are designed to be cleaned and re-used. If I were in your position, I would have just replaced the fuel filter ( 900 odd INR ) and then see how it goes.

If it gets clogged up again, then I might think of a tank cleanup. Even if I decide to do, I would get it done only by Toyota.
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:18   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, Sorry. Missed this.
I'm not sure whether the fuel filters are designed to be cleaned and re-used. If I were in your position, I would have just replaced the fuel filter ( 900 odd INR ) and then see how it goes.

If it gets clogged up again, then I might think of a tank cleanup. Even if I decide to do, I would get it done only by Toyota.

That's exactly what I wanted to do the moment I saw the fuel filter warning and as mentioned in my post, I went to the Toyota service center here (Espirit Greater Noida) but then these guys are nothing like the nice folks at Nandi or even Ravindu Toyota.

Their response was that I will need to leave the car for 2-3 days because filter is 'NEVER' replaced without cleaning the tank and it will cost anywhere between 6 to 8k (including filter, cleaning labour and tax). I said, lets just replace the filter today since I will commence a 3000km journey tomorrow morning, if the light appears again anytime soon - we can get the tank cleaned. He refused to do that and said you can drive 3k or 30k - nothing will go wrong with this light on but whenever you come back, we will clean the tank and only then replace the filter. Toyota's service in this part of the country is no better than Mahindra's, they ruin the sole purpose of buying a Toyota.

Last edited by ff1609 : 22nd May 2017 at 15:19.
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:08   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Their response was that I will need to leave the car for 2-3 days because filter is 'NEVER' replaced without cleaning the tank and it will cost anywhere between 6 to 8k (including filter, cleaning labour and tax). I said, lets just replace the filter today since I will commence a 3000km journey tomorrow morning, if the light appears again anytime soon - we can get the tank cleaned. He refused to do that and said you can drive 3k or 30k - nothing will go wrong with this light on but whenever you come back, we will clean the tank and only then replace the filter. Toyota's service in this part of the country is no better than Mahindra's, they ruin the sole purpose of buying a Toyota.
I somehow missed your earlier message. Even i had faced exactly the same problem with my Liva in 2015. I went to Nandi Toyota (Banaswadi) and they did replace the filter and also cleaned the fuel tank. Total bill came to less than 3k (900+ for filter) and they did gave me the vehicle on the same day. Even i had asked them to just replace the filter, but they insisted me to get the tank cleaned. Since then i have not faced the problem. But, one thing is, till that time i used to fill the diesel from Shell, but after that incident I stopped filling the diesel from Shell.
Coming to Nandi Toyota service, I have been getting serviced from them since they started their operations. Couple of times, i was not happy with their service. When that happened, I used to promptly share my experience with customer service and made sure that my concerns are addressed.
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:51   #372
BHPian

Quote:
That's exactly what I wanted to do the moment I saw the fuel filter warning and as mentioned in my post, I went to the Toyota service center here (Espirit Greater Noida) but then these guys are nothing like the nice folks at Nandi or even Ravindu Toyota.

The fuel filter is claimed to be durable for life timeIin Etios it doesn't require any periodic replacement . However when it get choked due to adulterated fuel, it needs replacement. My Etios which has clocked 69000 kms in odometer faced a similar situation. In month of October 2017 I started feeling sudden power loss in highways. I had not experienced any thing similar to it with my previous ownership of many diesel vehicle like Indica, Indigo, Vista and Bolero..I became scared. Visited Toplink Toyota the ASS of Toyota vehicles in Ranchi. The Work supervisor told me that fuel filter needs replacement. Asked me to wait in lounge and it will b e replaced. I waited for full one hour and then went to see why mechanic is taking so much of time? I was astonished to see he was still finding from where he will open the fuel filter to replace? He has removed the battery and struggling hard for finding the concerned nut and bolt. I suggested him to bring a hammer and give a big jolt to fuel filter so it comes out. He was looking me with question mark that if i am suggesting a correct way or not?http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Shockked.gif Meanwhile supervisor arrived and requested me to be in lounge where a nice cup of coffee is waiting for me. He assured that he himself will get it replaced. I returned to lounge and had my cup of coffee. Putting the cup on table after last sip, I was surprised to see my car in delivery bay. Supervisor told me completion of job and asked to clear the bill and take the vehicle. I asked how he got the filter replaced, air bubbles in pipeline removed and battery fitted in span of four-five minutes? He replied that it is a very small job for him. I asked for the old filter. The next scene was that for nearly one hour all staffs of front office and mechanics from workshop were searching the old filter. When they didn't got it they showed in their computer software time of issue of new filter and packaging of it. Giving benefit of doubt I leaved the place. But the problem of sudden power loss didn't went away. In month of December I was going to Buxar from Ranchi via Patna. When I was between Patna and Koelwar Bridge all of sudden fuel warning light glowed. I didn't understood this as fuel bars were only one bar less. Decided to get some fuel to avoid any trouble. But the tank got full with only 7-8 liters approx. I became worried for any unforeseen mechanical trouble going to face. Wife was with me and the weather was very foggy. Somehow I reached Buxar. I opened the Owners manual and found that it was written that if you are getting fuel filter lamp glowing continuously then it is indication of clogged fuel filter and if the light is blinking then it indicates of water in filter. In both case it needs replacement ASAP. I returned to Ranchi and tried my luck best getting Toyota make filter from some local shop but in vain. Lastly I got it online.The replacement is unbranded . A strange thing happened. After the fuel filter light glowed, the problem of power loss went away. The reason was that Toyota has developed a system for bypassing the fuel filter in case of choking of it. I think it is a unique system and it is in Toyota vehicles only. Please confirm. I replaced the fuel filter in local garage. But the fuel filter light was still glowing. The mechanic tried some tricks for resetting the light. He on and off the ignition three times. But it didn't worked. He replaced the battery terminal. But again it didn't worked. Lastly he removed the fuel filter sensor wire near to filter removed and kept the engine started for some time.Putting engine off he reconnected the wire and cranked the engine. It didn't worked. Lastly he suggested me to take the vehicle to ASS for resetting the ECU. I thought it better to let the light glow as the cup of coffee will be a costly affair for me. Few days back I was searching the net for the possible remedy. In one site it was mentioned to disconnect the connector of filter sensor. Then to start the engine and reconnect it without putting engine off and within three minutes of time. AND REALLY THIS TRICK WORKED.
Brother you are right saying that "Toyota's service in this part of the country is no better than Mahindra's, they ruin the sole purpose of buying a Toyota". But I think the culture of Toyota's ASS is more and less same (worse) in whole country. Toyota should allow its customer in service bay as the Maruti, Hyundai, Tata allows their customers. It will bring transparency in their services boost customers confidence on Toyota's ASS.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!-img_20170420_102549.jpg  

Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report. EDIT : 100,000 km up!-img_20170420_102536.jpg  

rch_vijayant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:55   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
When that happened, I used to promptly share my experience with customer service and made sure that my concerns are addressed.

Glad that customer services resolves issues in Bangalore - in this part of the country, even if you complain to Toyota nothing happens.

By the way at how many kms did you have to replace the diesel filter?
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:08   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Glad that customer services resolves issues in Bangalore - in this part of the country, even if you complain to Toyota nothing happens.

By the way at how many kms did you have to replace the diesel filter?
The issue happened for me when the ODO was at around 57000kms. And just to add some more information. I was also told that this fuel filter was not a regular replacement part and was meant to run for 'life time'. But they had observed some failures and based on that observation they have been advised from the company to voluntarily replace it at 80000kms (even if it is working fine).
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote