Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 17:20   #31
BHPian
 
indivic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 743
Thanked: 81 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
It appears like one still needs to use the clutch but the overall effort is less as accelearator use is reduced. Am I right in my understanding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How will this lead to clutchless driving? Infact wouldn't this increase the load on the clutch as you will need to play with it continuously in order to ensure that the car is crawling? Sorry I am a little confused here.
Low RPM torque is a property of diesel engines and I do this in my Indica as well, when you start off, if you just ensure that the vehicle starts rolling , the basic/idle RPM is sufficient to keep the car rolling in first gear and you can take your foot of the clutch and accelerator.

Without any accelerator inputs, even in second gear and with some slope, you can keep your feet off the clutch and accelerator and just focus on braking.Of course when you see the need to brake, you need to get back to clutch.

I think this is present in modern MPFI engines as well, ECU prevents stalling at idle RPM. Actually this caused some issues in the petrol Vista where in driver simply applied the brakes and the car refused to stop and Tata A*S*S could not provide a satisfactory explanation for some months.

I guess then they have indicated that in such cases, the person has to use the clutch as well when braking.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by indivic : 6th January 2012 at 17:23.
indivic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 19:29   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Thumbs up re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Mileage Update for 425 kms from Ernakulam to Trivandrum and Back = 19.68 kmpl
Odometer reading after the trip = 6540

Road and Traffic Conditions

1) Kakkanad to Cherthala 4-line highway during peak traffic ( Friday afternoon ) @ 80 to 100 kmph mostly and bursts of 120 kmph for overtaking irritating traffic ( Around 35 kms )

2) Cherthala to Alamcode 2-line highway peak traffic time @ 60 to 100 kmph with short bursts of 120 kmph ( Distance around 140 kms )

3) Alamcode - Kadakkavur - Chirayinkil - Madenvila - Thumba - Veli - Trivandrum country roads @ 20 to 70 kmph ( Distance around 45 kms )

4) Trivandrum to Oachira Early morning cruising @ 80 to 120 kmph through vacant roads ( Distance around 100 kms )

5) Oachira to Aroor Peak traffic time @ 60 kmph to 100 kmph ( 95 kms )

AC Usage

70% of the distance with AC switched on.

Driving Style
1) Mostly, overtaking using planned relative speed build up instead of quick acceleration.
2) Sedate driving in country roads.
3) Quick acceleration to get away from irritating bunch of trucks which slow down the whole traffic.

Load

First 220 kms - 2 people and empty boot
Next 200 kms - 4 people and fully loaded boot.

I'm happy with the mileage of 19.68 on such variable driving conditions even though it's on a highway. So, if I do 60 to 80 kmph on early morning cruising only, mileage should be higher than 22 kmpl. Will check it out later.

Update regarding Toyota Genuine Accessory for Etios - Steering Cover

The Etios steering cover is not available on any showrooms in Trivandrum or Cochin for almost one month now. I inquired about the reason and they told me that the twine had an issue and hence Toyota has stopped selling this accessory. They will come up with a new design and then we can buy it through Toyota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
It appears like one still needs to use the clutch but the overall effort is less as accelearator use is reduced. Am I right in my understanding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
How will this lead to clutchless driving? Infact wouldn't this increase the load on the clutch as you will need to play with it continuously in order to ensure that the car is crawling? Sorry I am a little confused here.
The basic difference with Diesel is that we'll be able to crawl at very slow speeds without having to use 'half clutch' thanks to that usable torque at very low rpms. . With Petrol, such crawling is possible only at higher speeds.

Last edited by amalji : 7th January 2012 at 19:57.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 22:37   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 2,861 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

amalji, Congrats on your Etios Diesel! It was a Excellent and Unbiased review.
Regarding Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs, is the visibility good during rains?
Actually I tried with Osram night breaker but visibility was bad during rains. Hence now I have moved to Hella 100/90 with a relay kit. I would like to know your feedback on Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs during rain.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 22:43   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
amalji, Congrats on your Etios Diesel! It was a Excellent and Unbiased review.
Regarding Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs, is the visibility good during rains?
Actually I tried with Osram night breaker but visibility was bad during rains. Hence now I have moved to Hella 100/90 with a relay kit. I would like to know your feedback on Philips Xtreme Vision Bulbs during rain.
Haven't tried out the new bulbs in heavy rains. Will check and let you know, when I get a chance to. But, not sure when the chance would come next because it's getting real hot these days. :(
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 00:27   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,158
Thanked: 5,040 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
V-Kool 70 Costs
Side glasses and rear glass - Rs. 22,000/-
Front windshield - Rs. 11,000/-
Oops! Thought there was a price mismatch and quoted a post - later realized that the brands were different. As a matter of fact, V-Kool CR70 is expensive by a 3K than 3M! Guess that's worth it.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2012 at 00:30.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 01:07   #36
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Hi Amalji,

Lovely intimate review.Nicely written and very crisp.

Have you compared the NVH of the diesel to the petrol? I found the petrol quite noisy.Even though the sound during acceleration was not irritating,the petrol engine is generally embarrassingly noisy. Is the diesel better?

Your V Kool films seems exorbittently expensive! I spent only 18000/- for all windows-that too through Honda. Did you check out 3M too?

Any plans of Stanley leather seats?Sound deadening?

Could not view the pictures-my internet is very slow! Hope to see them later.

Best of luck,mate. Enjoy your ride and channel that adrenalin rush wisely-drive safe!!

Regards,charthom.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 12:02   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Hi Amalji,

Lovely intimate review.Nicely written and very crisp.
Thanks, bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Have you compared the NVH of the diesel to the petrol? I found the petrol quite noisy.Even though the sound during acceleration was not irritating,the petrol engine is generally embarrassingly noisy. Is the diesel better?
The Vibrations are well controlled on the Diesel. You don't 'feel', it's a diesel. With regards to Noise, if you are used to Toyota Diesels - Qualis and Innova, you won't complain. But, it's not as good as the Swift DDiS. Toyota has added extra sound dampening coating, a lot of carpets to deaden the sound on the Diesel. I guess, the same can be copied easily to Petrol as well. And the engine gets more smooth after around 4000 kms. I felt this because I was able to drive both my Etios ( @ 4000 kms that time ) and my mother's Liva ( @ 750 odd kms at the same time )

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Your V Kool films seems exorbittently expensive! I spent only 18000/- for all windows-that too through Honda. Did you check out 3M too?
V-Kool is the best for spectral rejection. With regards to the film, I believe it greatly improves the comfort and even health of a passenger. If you are someone who drive a lot especially in sunny conditions, the eyes take in a lot of harmful rays so do the skin. Increases the risk of diseases like cataract, skin cancer etc. So, I didn't want to take a risk here especially since, I plan to keep this car for 7 to 10 years. I've used V-Kool 70 on my esteem's front windshield. And I really 'felt' the difference between the front windshields and other glasses. With regards to 3m, it's good and is my second choice along with Lumar.

With regards to your film purchase from Honda, which one did you buy ? And which car do you own ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Any plans of Stanley leather seats?Sound deadening?
Stanley is there in my wish list for sure both for my Etios and my mother's Liva. I'm not great in deciding on what will look good for a car based on what I see on the pictures. So, the selection process will take time. I need to see a few Stanley seat covers in real on Etios before I decide to buy one. Already seen one. The fit and finish is great, but the colour combination doesn't match the Etios interiors. So, I'm waiting. Maybe, I'll have to take a friend who has some sense with colours.

With regards to sound deadening, the noise feels ok for me. It's not too much to say it's irritating especially since Etios allows me to cruise on 140 kmph @ just 3000 rpms thanks to that tall gearing. I never felt irritated with the sound even though, it's slightly higher than the DDiS. Initially I thought about sound deadening to take it to the levels of Corolla diesel which is super silent. But, then thought it's not worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Could not view the pictures-my internet is very slow! Hope to see them later.

Best of luck,mate. Enjoy your ride and channel that adrenalin rush wisely-drive safe!!

Regards,charthom.
Sure, thanks @charthom. Safety will always be the top most priority.

Last edited by amalji : 8th January 2012 at 12:07.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2012, 23:27   #38
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post


The Vibrations are well controlled on the Diesel.

Nice to read this.

With regards to your film purchase from Honda, which one did you buy ? And which car do you own ?

Me too purchased V kool-but spent only 18000/- including the front windshield. I found yours a bit expensive. Mine is a City. Pl check out my thread on City ("Does anyone..."


Stanley is there in my wish list for sure both for my Etios and my mother's Liva.

I had in fact booked an Etios-and cancelled it. Toyota had quoted 46000/- for the seats and door claddings-me too did not like the red seats-but booked the top edition for the sporty steering wheel and audio controls.

With regards to sound deadening, the noise feels ok for me.

This is indeed a good news-I had expected the diesel to be noisier.Glad that it is not.

Sure, thanks @charthom. Safety will always be the top most priority.

Nice to hear this-esp when one drives 6000 kms in 70 days.
I wish you a very enjoyable ownership experience.

Self presently in Turkey-struggling with a clumsy internet conn on a lap top. The handling is nowhere near the etios-hence pardon the clumsiness

Cheers!!

charthom
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 07:27   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Me too purchased V kool-but spent only 18000/- including the front windshield. I found yours a bit expensive. Mine is a City. Pl check out my thread on City
I saw the thread but couldn't find the model number of V-Kool on it. So 2 questions.

1) Model number of V-kool used. ( Mine is V-Kool 70 ). If it's V-Kool 70, 18k was for sides, rear and front ? If it's the same model, then I'll have to fight with the V-Kool dealer because he claimed that anywhere else I buy this product, it will be costlier by 10% ( which is the commission ) and I did verify it at a few accessories shops in Cochin before going ahead. And I plan to get the same film done on my mother's Liva as well. So this information will be really helpful for me.

2) Did you get the warranty card for V-Kool ?

Last edited by amalji : 9th January 2012 at 07:30.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 09:05   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,788
Thanked: 1,987 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Vkool 70 is pretty expensive. But worth it.

Better to go for 70 for the windscreen and another model for the sides and the back. I have done the same in my Toyota.

I stuck to 'legal' specs since I do some interstate driving. If one stays within the home state that is sunfilm permissive, darker versions should be alright.

The Bangalore outlet of Vkool on Richmond Road used to give nice discounts to TBHP members. Don't know whether they still do. Anyway, if one is putting something as expensive and critical as Vkool 70 on the windshield, then I feel it makes sense to do it from the cmpany owned outlets and be as careful as possible - even if it means paying a little but extra. Badly put windshield sunfilm can hurt you especially during rains and in the dark.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th January 2012 at 09:09.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 09:52   #41
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
So 2 questions.

1) Model number of V-kool used. ( Mine is V-Kool 70 ).
2) Did you get the warranty card for V-Kool ?
Hi amalji,

1.Don't remember.Have no details with me right now.

Looks like it was T45-titanium series.They re-assured me that 45 in America stands for Indian equivalent of 65-hence legal.The tint is not dark-goes well with my urban titanium colour.You can check out various snaps.

You may talk to Marson at V-Kool Cochin.When I return home(end march),I will be able to give you details.

Mine belongs to economy series-hence could be cheaper.The premium ones are more expensive which may be your case.

2.Yes,for 5 yrs.They once even replaced the rear film free under warranty.

For Stanley leather-always contact them directly-cheaper and better.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 21:53   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Hi amalji,

1.Don't remember.Have no details with me right now.

Looks like it was T45-titanium series.They re-assured me that 45 in America stands for Indian equivalent of 65-hence legal.The tint is not dark-goes well with my urban titanium colour.You can check out various snaps.

You may talk to Marson at V-Kool Cochin.When I return home(end march),I will be able to give you details.

Mine belongs to economy series-hence could be cheaper.The premium ones are more expensive which may be your case.

2.Yes,for 5 yrs.They once even replaced the rear film free under warranty.

For Stanley leather-always contact them directly-cheaper and better.
Ahh, ok. I had talked to the same person - The V-Kool dealer in Cochin. The different model number makes sense. For the Liva, I'm planning to get V-Kool 70 for windshield and maybe a cheaper brand like 3m or Lumar ( but with very good heat rejection ) for the side and rear.

Between, any contact details on Stanley dealers in Cochin ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Vkool 70 is pretty expensive. But worth it.

Better to go for 70 for the windscreen and another model for the sides and the back. I have done the same in my Toyota.

I stuck to 'legal' specs since I do some interstate driving. If one stays within the home state that is sunfilm permissive, darker versions should be alright.

The Bangalore outlet of Vkool on Richmond Road used to give nice discounts to TBHP members. Don't know whether they still do. Anyway, if one is putting something as expensive and critical as Vkool 70 on the windshield, then I feel it makes sense to do it from the cmpany owned outlets and be as careful as possible - even if it means paying a little but extra. Badly put windshield sunfilm can hurt you especially during rains and in the dark.
True. Doing directly from V-Kool has 2 more advantages

1) They apply the film in a dust proof room.
2) We have access to all their staff. So even if they face any barriers, there are multiple brains out there to help them solve it in the best possible manner.

Last edited by amalji : 9th January 2012 at 21:57.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 23:04   #43
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Between, any contact details on Stanley dealers in Cochin ?
Simple.Just visit their web site mate!

Stanley is above the Chevrolet show room-after Vyttila on the left side on the bypass while driving towards Palarivattom.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2012, 13:29   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,114
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Smile re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Simple.Just visit their web site mate!

Stanley is above the Chevrolet show room-after Vyttila on the left side on the bypass while driving towards Palarivattom.
Thanks, bro.
Also, it seems Karlsson's leather is of better quality than Stanley. I'm exploring the possibilities of using them as well. Fit and finish seems to be good as well. I'll have to visit Stanley shop to see if there is any similar models available for them.

Posting a few pics of the Karlsson's leather for Etios. ( This is not my car )

Loved the fit and finish!
Name:  front_seat_covers.jpg
Views: 10467
Size:  68.5 KB

Greatly improves the ambiance inside.
Name:  Rear_seat_covers.jpg
Views: 10154
Size:  55.1 KB

That's the best fit and finish that I've ever seen for an Etios steering cover ( The grooves at 10:10 position is taken care of fantastically well.
Name:  Steering_gear_cover.jpg
Views: 8029
Size:  76.3 KB

More options from Karlsson for Etios on their facebook link

Another thing I noticed on those pics are the wooden finish for the power window button.
The default silver finish used on Etios V(D), VX(D) series looks crap.

Last edited by amalji : 10th January 2012 at 13:35.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2012, 01:05   #45
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 259 Times
Default re: Toyota Etios Diesel VD Ownership Report EDIT : Now at 30000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Thanks, bro.
Also, it seems Karlsson's leather is of better quality than Stanley.
But is Karlsson available in kerala?

Quote:
That's the best fit and finish that I've ever seen for an Etios steering cover
God!I do agree with you-can't believe it is an aftermarket fit

However the original steering wheel of the top model Etios is unbeatable. Bigger cars like Corolla are no match.

Are 3D mats available for Etios yet?Planning? any spoiler in the plans?Filling N2?
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update saadat1992 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 357 7th November 2016 11:40
My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report fast&furious Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 67 20th September 2016 13:32
Toyota ETIOS Ownership review : 2,000km report vebmetal Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 32 6th June 2011 22:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks