Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 18th December 2011, 00:46   #46
BHPian

Default Re: The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles

The first time I saw the X1 on the road was a few weeks ago in B'lore and it got me real curious. So unlike the typical Beemer saloons one is used to seeing on the road. Was curious to know more about the car and ownership experience from an owners perspective here on the forum, and lo today I come cross your wonderful thread. Thanks. please keep it coming, enjoying every bit of it.
pranava999 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 13:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Default The Second Workshop Visit - The Devil stays overnight!

And thus I kept on driving for another couple of months. I remembered reading in .anshuman’s review that his friend had a similar issue about the vehicle pulling left & they eventually replaced the tires. So I was pretty sure that it was not an alignment issue but was in no real hurry to go back to them either as it was not a major discomfort yet. Thought I’d wait for some more issues to crop up or for a service to become due & then get it done together. In the meantime, Abishek2222 & I were in constant touch on PM, exchanging our driving experiences & one day he asked me if I was having any alignment issues. Apparently he had been facing the same problem & it hadn’t gone away despite two rounds of alignment & then they had told him that the tires would be replaced under warranty. Bingo! Now I was even more convinced & I knew that I would be pushing Bird Automotive for a replacement right away, no way I would be going for multiple rounds of alignment!

In the meantime, with the total state of disrepair of Gurgaon roads & the constant commute on the same, that annoying plasticky rattle was back! I fiddled around with tyre pressure & finally settled on 32 psi all around (the GM After Sales had recommended 33 but I settled on 1 psi lower after trying 33) but that rattle remained! I also discovered that if I leaned on the horn button for an extended period, I felt that there was a slight warble in the tone. Although both horns were working, it was that warble that needed attending to. (For all those wondering why I would need to lean on the horn for prolonged periods, it was primarily for Cash users in the Expressway “TAG Only” lanes as well as cars with closed ORVMs, hogging two lanes & being driven at 30kmph with the driver talking on his Mobile, oblivious to the chaos behind him!)

So I called up the GM AS in mid November & told him that the annoying left-pulling remained & that I was hearing from various sources that there was an issue with the Pirellis so what did he recommend. Now, they must have been receiving multiple complaints on this so he told me that I would need to leave the vehicle with them overnight & the modus-operandi would be as follows –
  • Workshop would carry out wheel alignment on the vehicle
  • Workshop would drive the vehicle thereafter
  • If the problem remained, they would lodge a complaint with BMW India & produce all backup reports & documentation
  • If BMW India acknowledged the defect, the tyres would be replaced under warranty (this would not impact my BMW Secure coverage in any way & I would still be entitled to replacement of 4 tyres under BMW Secure)
Bullets 3 & 4 above were mere formalities but they would still need to go through with them & because of the red tape involved, it would be difficult returning the car on the same day. Thus, I would have to pick it up the next day. The Bad news was – no tyres other than Pirellis in stock, so I would have to wait a couple of weeks for the new set. (I believed this part as Abishek2222 had also mentioned the same thing).

I spoke to him on a Friday, he advised me to take the car in on Monday rather than a Saturday (as it would mess up my weekend plans). I got a prompt call back from the lady who coordinates the bookings just after & she asked me to take the car in the following Monday (21st of November). On my request to her to allot their best Advisor, she mentioned that the GM AS had already asked her to ensure that their senior-most Advisor was allotted for my car.

I had been given a time of 9.30, I was 10 minutes early but, luckily for me, the Advisor was already there! After a brief conversation with him, I heaved a sigh of relief ‘cos he appeared to be fairly conversant with various aspects of the vehicle. Nice start! He asked me to make myself comfortable while he rearranged a few cars & brought The Devil onto the examination ramp. He then brought the key in & inserted it into a key reader, which in turn brought up all the relevant details onto the monitor (mileage covered, service interval left etc, apart from all other details of coverage under BSI). Thereafter a technician did a walk around, raised the ramp, examined the car thoroughly (exterior, underbody, tyre tread depth & interiors) and the job card was opened. Basically, 4 items
  • Tyres
  • Number Plate rattle
  • Horn warble
  • A slight khut sound from the right ORVM, only during the first unfold of the morning, never repeated during the rest of the day
I was also happy to note that tyre tread depth was 8 mm (front) & 7 mm (rear) even after four months of the Gurgaon Moon-crater treatment!

With the formalities out of the way and the odo reading 5,856 kms, I left for work, with the promise that all items would be completed by 4pm the next day. I’m sure that if they stretched themselves, same day delivery would have been possible but I was OK with them taking that extra day. Touched base with the SA in the evening & then again around mid-day the next day. The good news was that the left pulling remained even after the alignment & a claim had been lodged with & acknowledged by BMW, the tyres would be replaced as soon as new stocks arrived (Bridgestones or Goodyears)!

Reached the workshop sometime between 5 & 5.30 and got feedback on the rest of the stuff –
  • Number plate bracket had been removed & refitted after beefing up the packing. (The rattle hasn’t surfaced since)
  • They had told me on the phone that they felt that the horn tone was even & that they hadn’t been able to feel the warble. Pleasant surprise – they had replaced the horns under warranty anyway. (These ones have a slightly softer tone & I’m quite OK with them)
  • ORVM mechanism had been lubricated. (No khut sound at the moment but since the noise was probably due to cold & dry conditions, need to see what happens as Gurgaon gets closer to the zero degrees Celsius mark!)
Departure formalities were quickly completed, pleasantries were exchanged & I was on my way, would be back as & when the Tyre stocks arrived. The SA was apologetic about the fact that they had not been able to give a pressure wash as the machine was out of order but they had manually wiped down & cleaned out the vehicle thoroughly so I wasn’t complaining. Drove back home in near total silence in the Cabin, even going over the potholes!

Overall, I was quite satisfied with my first real BMW Workshop experience. More importantly, the rapport had been established with the dealer’s senior most SA and that, for me, was a big win! I also noticed from the odo reading that they had done only the minimum amount of running that may have been necessary to establish the tyre issue. I have heard of enough workshops where leaving a car overnight would mean a substantial dip in the fuel levels along with a jump in the kms on the odo (I have faced this myself once at Dhingra Motors) but Bird were not in that category, as I could see. I would not have expected a BMW Dealership to be unethical but one never knows these days!

(Coming up Next - Of Potenzas & Scratches)

Last edited by suman : 18th December 2011 at 13:28.
suman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 13:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Second Workshop Visit - The Devil stays overnight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
And thus I kept on driving for another couple of months.
Hi Suman,
What is it in the tyres that is causing a leftward pulling of the vehicle ? Uneven wear or something or uneven distribution of rubber/radial belting during the manufacturing process ? Or of a particular batch of tires ?
I would have thought the issue would have to do something with the suspension and/or alignment.
Am very curious indeed.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 14:38   #49
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Second Workshop Visit - The Devil stays overnight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Suman,
What is it in the tyres that is causing a leftward pulling of the vehicle ? Uneven wear or something or uneven distribution of rubber/radial belting during the manufacturing process ? Or of a particular batch of tires ?
I would have thought the issue would have to do something with the suspension and/or alignment.
Am very curious indeed.
Some tyre suspension combinations just don't work well. I remember some Ford Figos having alignment issues with Apollo and after changing to goodyear/MRF the pull went away.

It depends on the tread design mostly. The friction coefficient maybe different causing the pull.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 17:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Suman,
Am very curious indeed.
No uneven wear at all, drove close to 7k kms before the change, tread was even on both sides. Its not even a particular batch of tyres - .anshuman's friend faced this way before I did. And there are absolutely no issues with the alignment or suspension - its tracking dead straight now with the Potenzas.

Maybe Indian roads just don't suit the Pirellis, or as Vidyut mentions below -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Some tyre suspension combinations just don't work well.
and I would be inclined to agree. I understand that the most current batches are not coming with Pirellis any longer, in fact Abishek2222 found a whole lot of X1s shod with Goodyears when he took his in recently for the tyre change. I think BMW kept persisting with Pirellis till such time that they realized that there were quite a few complaints surfacing and have now decided to switch over.

The flip side of all this could be that the Pirellis grip better than the others - time will tell.

Last edited by suman : 18th December 2011 at 17:13.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2011, 19:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

OK, Now how did I missed that? The long awaited and often requested thread (on fb, remember?).

First of all many congratulations on owning this beast. I love those photographs, keep them coming!. Considering it's a power monster, the mileage is very good.

Let me see if I can spot your Blue devil someday on expressway or inter city roads.

Wishing you many miles of happy driving!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 10:03   #52
Team-BHP Support

Suman, thanks for a wonderful review and congratulations on your devil in blue. THat shade is truly to die for- there is one in my lane that I spot occasionally and my heart skips a beat everytime that happens!

Such an inspiring thread for me- the move from Safari to X1 is quite a leap and it will ease my conscience a bit when I go checking out the 30 lac segment cars! Did a demo at the Phoenix Mills mall with a Merc C class yesterday and the SR has promised a TD soon!

Sorry to hear about your tyre replacement but glad that the experience was pain-free. BMW does seem to treat its customers rather well in India from all accounts.

Keep postin!
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 13:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Suman (though belated!)
This colour is one of the most amazing colours in the X1 and it brings out a different character in the X1 , very different from the traditional blacks , whites , silvers!
Great choice and may you have many exciting driving years ahead!
Hope to see your new travelogues with your new beast!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2011, 15:51   #54
Team-BHP Support

Not sure how i missed this thread, Suman! Anyway, congrats on the X1, and just as i had mentioned to you elsewhere, i knew you would finally settle on this as your choice.

Looking forward to your updates on the ownership experience, considering how quickly you would be adding on the miles.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 10:45   #55

Hi Suman,

Congrats on the German Masterpiece and I wish you all the best. My father-in-law bought a white X1 on June 2011. Humbly, I must say, that wat the first time I sat/drove a premium one. Quite a great car you got there. There is a pool and excellence in that machine, but i need to point out a problem that we faced.

This is as per his narration.
He was driving from the nilambur to bangalore one night and the car fell on a dirty pothole. There was a loud noise and he pulled over. There was no visual damage or nothing. Then on the next pit stop at a pump, he noticed a crack on the windshield, the crack originated from the lower bottom of washer. Unfortunately, this crack was a hot topic of all our friends and they kept lifting up the wiper to see this. And then, one of them when trying to put back te wiper, push it from the wiper connection part and the wiper came off and the metal holder fell on the windshield. The worsen the situation, it fell right in the crack line and then it looked like the crack was caused by the windshield.

We took it to the service center in Cochin and explained the story. But they didnt trust us and insisted that it was caused by the wiper and manufacturing defects can causes cracks from the sides (exactly our case). Cant blame them as well, it was so freaky an incident.

We didnt get the warranty and opted to fix one. The first windshield DIDNOT FIT properly and they had to get a new one. THAT SOUNDS FISHY, with respect to some design flaw in X1 or this unit of ours.

So my suggestion.

1) Please watch for any of this type of issue with you windshield. God forbids, something like this happen, you have another customer who can back you up.

2) Please be careful on the lowering the wiper after cleaning. The wiper blade is connected to a metal holder thru a clip and it can be easily removed and fixed. Hold the metal holder to lower it back on the windshield.

thanks
jijojackson is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 12:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
OK, Now how did I missed that? The long awaited and often requested thread
Yeah, I was actually gonna PM you asking where you were after all the follow up
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Did a demo at the Phoenix Mills mall with a Merc C class yesterday and the SR has promised a TD soon!
Go for it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hope to see your new travelogues with your new beast!
Sigghhh, dunno when those are going to happen - sometime I guess but no idea when!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
just as i had mentioned to you elsewhere, i knew you would finally settle on this as your choice.
Yup, I remember that Benny, you were way surer than I was at that point in time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jijojackson View Post
2) Please be careful on the lowering the wiper after cleaning. The wiper blade is connected to a metal holder thru a clip and it can be easily removed and fixed. Hold the metal holder to lower it back on the windshield.
Thanks for the heads up, my car cleaner has strict instructions about not pulling out the wiper every day.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 12:30   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, my car cleaner has strict instructions about not pulling out the wiper every day.
One more aspect you may need to ask your car cleaner to be careful about are the retractable headlight washers in the bumper. A friend of mine bought an X1 few months back and due to carelessness of the cleaner, accidentally snagged the retractable washer unit cover in the bumper and broke it! Estimate my friend got to fix it was 4k.. so till date it remains without the cover.
Enjoy your ride and would love to join you sometime on your travelogues sometime (I am also based in Gurgaon) Next Leh trip maybe..? Am planning for Sep 2012 , but subject to getting better tyres for my little monster (Yeti).

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 13:25   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not even a particular batch of tyres - .anshuman's friend faced this way before I did. And there are absolutely no issues with the alignment or suspension - its tracking dead straight now with the Potenzas.

Maybe Indian roads just don't suit the Pirellis, or as Vidyut mentions below
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Some tyre suspension combinations just don't work well. I remember some Ford Figos having alignment issues with Apollo and after changing to goodyear/MRF the pull went away.

It depends on the tread design mostly. The friction coefficient maybe different causing the pull.
Hi,
Thanks for the explanations.
These combinations - of the suspensions and tread pattern/make of tyres - would be tested (even for Indian conditions) before it is released on the poor unsuspecting customers right ? Why doesn't it get picked out then ?

Reminds of the brake/s issue on the Fortuner. Why couldn't Toyota figure out while testing on Indian roads that the stopping power is wholly inadequate ? Instead of later scrambling about to increase the disc size etc etc !

Or as I keep saying is the general public the extended or outsourced R&D arm of all auto companies here ?

Last edited by Guderian : 20th December 2011 at 13:47.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 13:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Finally the thread is UP!

Better late than never!

Let me again congratulate you on the purchase. The Blue does look amazing and based on your experience may owning German marque's are not so expensive afterall.

Wish you many miles of happines with the D2SB.

Cheers

P.S: So how long do you intend to keep this one, expecially given that its a Bimmer.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2011, 13:45   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Thanks for a great report Suman. And wish you many happy miles on the X1.

That blue looks stunning under the sun. The car would have looked amazing with Corona rings on. Is it prohibitively expensive to get from outside?
I had cheked with the BMW guys & it is prohibitively expensive to get it from them... They were quoting 3.2 lacs for Xenons on X1
vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote