Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd August 2013, 18:06   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Could you put up a sample of how the report looks like, please? Perhaps one week (or 1-2 pages) of details (from when you were not using the car) about what background programs keep running even when the car is not being used, and how much is the current draw.
You didn't read my post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Doc, its not a one-pager - its tonnes of paper & I had not carried it back with me.
However, it would be somewhere on their database so when I next visit the workshop (probably 6k kms from now), I will have them print out a couple of pages & carry it back. Only for you - how's that ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One thing that used to affect BMWs was the climate control, if you change the setting shortly before switching of the car, the sensors still work overtime when cr is switched off..
That's interesting, thanks for sharing, I didn't know this bit!

Last edited by suman : 3rd August 2013 at 18:07.
suman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:42   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Lesson learnt!!

Quote:
You didn't read my post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Doc, its not a one-pager - its tonnes of paper & I had not carried it back with me.
However, it would be somewhere on their database so when I next visit the workshop (probably 6k kms from now), I will have them print out a couple of pages & carry it back. Only for you - how's that ?
Quote:
Please also email me a soft copy of the Battery Usage Report if possible so that I can see for myself what the results are & take up appropriately with BMW India.
Sorry - I misunderstood and assumed that Bird had sent you a soft copy as you'd asked. Shall look forward to (a section of) the report.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:43   #108
BHPian

Great report!

A close family member is thinking of buying the 3 series. However, the usage would be every alternate month only (job demand: 1 month out of country, 1 month of leave). The missus has an automatic hatch and is not a car person.

Do I then ask him to back off because of the battery drain issue?
d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 20:34   #109
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Great report!

A close family member is thinking of buying the 3 series. However, the usage would be every alternate month only (job demand: 1 month out of country, 1 month of leave). The missus has an automatic hatch and is not a car person.

Ask him to buy a Jap car. These cars just cannot be left standing for that long. If he can ask someone to start up the car and take a small spin even once a week it will be fine.

Suman - Sorry to hear about the battery issue. Man I'm surprised you managed to not drive the Bimmer for 6 weeks . Mine calls out to me if I've not used it even for 3 days. But if there's one thing I've realized about these Euro cars in particular, the less they are used the more problems they give.

Are you planning on ditching the run flats?
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 10:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Suman - Sorry to hear about the battery issue. Man I'm surprised you managed to not drive the Bimmer for 6 weeks . Mine calls out to me if I've not used it even for 3 days. But if there's one thing I've realized about these Euro cars in particular, the less they are used the more problems they give.

Are you planning on ditching the run flats?
Heh heh Akshay, was enjoying ripping a new Rapid, learnt my lesson quickly .

Agree with you completely - it is otherwise a "Fill it, shut it and forget it" vehicle. Get the services done when the indicator lights up and that's about it.

The runflats are still looking good at 30k kms, almost 4mm tread depth still - however, will probably replace them with regulars as & when they give up. Have had a satisfactory experience overall.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2013, 13:37   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Great report!

Well, for sheer driving pleasure, nothing else in that range will come close, so I would say "Just go for it!"

As Akshay mentioned, if someone can start it up on weekends and take a quick spin around the block, it should be fine. There is a more expensive option and that's to buy a charger from the showroom. Maybe he can squeeze them for an equivalent additional discount while negotiating the final price
suman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2013, 13:03   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Heh heh Akshay, was enjoying ripping a new Rapid, learnt my lesson quickly .

Agree with you completely - it is otherwise a "Fill it, shut it and forget it" vehicle. Get the services done when the indicator lights up and that's about it.

The runflats are still looking good at 30k kms, almost 4mm tread depth still - however, will probably replace them with regulars as & when they give up. Have had a satisfactory experience overall.
Yes surprisingly not as fickle minded as German cars are made out to be. Whoever I know with a BMW is reasonably happy, and haven't had any issues apart from some RFT issues and a few with suspension work again due to the hard ride.

Luckily there are some decent options in 225/50 r17 for the X1, and your car will feel totally different on tubeless tyres.

Quote:

As Akshay mentioned, if someone can start it up on weekends and take a quick spin around the block, it should be fine. There is a more expensive option and that's to buy a charger from the showroom. Maybe he can squeeze them for an equivalent additional discount while negotiating the final price
Its actually around 12k odd I think. With the discounts going on these days the showroom should happily throw it in for free.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2013, 09:53   #113
Senior - BHPian

And that, Ladies & Gentlemen, was the saga of the X1 Battery. I wasn't pissed off about the battery dying out per se due to the car not being used. But what I was really annoyed about (and it gave me great pleasure to have the sales as well as customer service and workshop guys standing as a group while I gave them a piece of my mind ) was the fact that No one had mentioned to me earlier that the vehicle should not be left lying around for long periods of time because it would cause battery drain.

Whether it was the salesman who closed the deal or whether it was the service advisor - someone, somewhere, should have raised the flag. If they had, then I would not have spent 23k unnecessarily - all it would have taken was for me to use the car on weekends and, when I was out of town for extended periods, my wife or my daughter could have just started it up! Simple na?

Anyways, apart from the satisfaction of watching them standing there with bowed heads & listening to my rant, not much else came out of it for me. Hopefully, they will educate future customers on this aspect

Last edited by suman : 6th August 2013 at 09:57.
Old 7th August 2013, 09:11   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default What else has been happening?

Outside of the Battery incident, there has been no other drama, The Devil has gone about its daily work with the minimum amount of fuss! There were two services, one on 2nd February this year and the other on 4th July. Items attended to -

2nd February 2013
  1. Rear Brake Service
  2. Regular Engine Oil service
  3. Power Steering Belt & Pully (changed under warranty)
4th July 2013
  1. Brake Fluid change
  2. Front Brake Service
  3. Tailgate greasing (specifically asked for by me)
Neither service cost me anything, thanks to BSI, except for the 200ml of Grease that was required for the tailgate as it was something I specifically asked for.

The Service Advisor validated the condition of the tyres at the last service and told me that they were good for at least another 10k kms or so but I'm not so sure given the current conditions of the NCR roads post the abundant monsoon that we have been enduring. I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts from 2012 that I needed to get the Alignment & Balancing done but it wasn't required subsequently as the slight pull I had felt went away (may have been a tyre pressure issue) and the last inspection did not reveal any abnormal wear & tear on the edges of the tyres.

Renewed the Insurance with ICICI Lombard with the same Add On Plan (Silver) as last time - premium paid was Rs 44,893, additional cover provided was the same as the year before by way of Zero Dep, Consumables, Hydrostatic Lock & Tyres.

The vehicle has been returning consistent mileage, no changes worth mentioning on that front. With another year gone by, there are a few more nicks & scratches - its pretty much impossible to avoid in the NCR! To wrap up, I would just like to reiterate something I had mentioned a year ago -
Quote:
The driving experience? What can I say, pulling away from the pack when the light turns green & I'm in the first row - Priceless & unmatchable! Even otherwise, I can safely say that my decision to use an X1 as a daily drive has been vindicated over the past one year. Whether it is in bumper to bumper traffic or empty stretches late at night or the expressway in the mornings, I haven't really had any cause for complaint. And the pushed-back-in-the-seat feeling never fails to bring a smile to our faces!
Old 11th August 2013, 11:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Ordered these tyre valve dust caps on EBay, from Hong Kong, cost US $ 6.99, with free shipping. Came by ordinary Airmail in a little over a week. These are the lockable variety so one less headache as far as pilferage is concerned!

Decent quality but the white is marginally different when I compare with the original badging on the car.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130811_112828.png
Views: 2169
Size:  394.8 KB
Old 3rd January 2014, 21:53   #116
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic thread! I wonder why I missed this so far!

Your crisp and honest style of writing had me glued to the entire thread, which is now more than 2 years old!

I wish you many happy miles on the X1. Do keep updating us on this mean machine.
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2014, 11:54   #117
BHPian

Sumant, Here's some more dope on the OEM batteries from the X1 circa 2011/2012.
Mine is a 2012 VIN and has done around 25K kms so far.
Unlike your case where the battery was left unused 6 weeks, mine had been under constant usage.
Mine died in the span of a few hours!
It was the exact same saga as yours, in fact my jumpstart guy came on a scooter instead!
No luck with jumpstarting either and it was 10 PM so they sent a flatbed truck , took the car and returned it with the battery replaced the next day
While I wasn't charged for any of it, It makes me suspect that the OEM batteries from around this timeframe probably are part of a defective batch - Mine certainly was born defective :P but I suspect the same could be the case with yours.
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 20:45   #118

Question Re: The Devil in Deep Sea Blue : Our BMW X1 Chronicles

Hi Suman ,

It is a wonderful thread on X1. Your candid way of sharing the experiences with X1 both positives and negatives, really endeared me to you and to your writings. I am kind of convinced about the pros of BMWs weighing well over the cons, after reading your thread. I am on the verge of finalising 2013 X1 -Top end after toying with the idea of buying an X3 - older model. Since the later did not work out I decided to go ahead with the X1 - Top end. After, reading through the thread (should I say by-hearted ), I called the BMW showroom and enquired about procuring the chargers in case I also end up with such a battery drain as I also every now and then move out of Bangalore. They say that they don't sell that and they are saying that such an issue is not heard off in the recent days with lots of upgrading happened. I am just keeping my fingers crossed. Can you help me with your views / cautions before I get myself committed?. Also, if you can share your recent updates on the performance of your devil, it will be great. Other fellow BHPians who are having the upgraded X1 can also please share your thoughts and help me. Thanks in advance
PNARUNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2014, 23:20   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I called the BMW showroom and enquired about procuring the chargers in case I also end up with such a battery drain as I also every now and then move out of Bangalore.
There are trickle chargers available at most of dealership .

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/03/03/bm...arging-system/

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th September 2014 at 23:22.
Turbanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2014, 08:05   #120

Thanks Turbanator. A valuable link to be saved.
PNARUNC is offline   Reply With Quote