Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th October 2014, 13:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!

Exhaust note of my car with the RRP 4-2-1 FFE exhaust.
Listen with headphones for better clarity.

tharian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2015, 14:47   #47
BHPian

I really like the exhaust note on your Figo. Not too loud but loud enough to be a head tuner and add to the driving pleasure.
TheQuarterMile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 20:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Few weeks back, I dented the rear quarter of my car on a pillar while reversing.

It left a dent between the tail lamp and bumper and there was a gap between the body and the bumper as a result. Since I was in no hurry in fixing it ,more so because it was behind and paint loss was minimal, I postponed the repairs.

Since last week I have been noticing partially dried up drops of water right below the exhaust pipe on the ground. I ignored it since there was no way it could be from the car. I do a look over every other day since the car is parked un-used most of the time. This morning I saw few drops and decided to check under the car when I saw drops hanging off the edge of the bumper.
Opened the boot and removed the spare wheel and saw the wheel well filled with around a cm of water. Thankfully it has been less than a month since the dent occurred and I had washed the car twice and it was parked in heavy rain twice as well in that time.
At first I thought it was because of the last wash in which I used a hose to wash the car and the boot was not shut properly. Then on further investigation, I saw the cloth material that is used as a mat was drenched only on the dent side of the boot and there is also a small compartment right behind the outer metal and the inside which was filled with water as well. The other side was dry.
Used a cloth so remove the water and wiped it dry and closed the gap that formed due to the dent with M-seal until I give it for repairs.

What I was wondering was, will a small dent like this in that area make the car prone to water leaks? I was lucky that I found the issue or else I am quite sure the rust would have set in making it worse.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-20150505071720.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 5th May 2015 at 20:11.
tharian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 20:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
What I was wondering was, will a small dent like this in that area make the car prone to water leaks? I was lucky that I found the issue or else I am quite sure the rust would have set in making it worse.
The leak was probably exacerbated by the heavy rains, but it's surely possible. Doesn't the roof drainage route close to the where the dent is? (down from the roof, via the outside of the hatch beading, down to the bumper to be exact).

While you're at it, it would also be advisable to get your RHS tail-lamp cluster checked for alignment/fit in its slot. It may have moved ever so slightly and created a gap enough for leakage during heavy rains or pressure washing.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th May 2015 at 20:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2015, 22:06   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The leak was probably exacerbated by the heavy rains, but it's surely possible. Doesn't the roof drainage route close to the where the dent is? (down from the roof, via the outside of the hatch beading, down to the bumper to be exact).

While you're at it, it would also be advisable to get your RHS tail-lamp cluster checked for alignment/fit in its slot. It may have moved ever so slightly and created a gap enough for leakage during heavy rains or pressure washing.
The tail lamp cluster slot as far as I remember has just two holes for the wiring which is again sealed by a rubber piece which holds the wires.
The roof drain route is a possibility since water would have flowed constantly and got in through the gap formed due to the dent.

I only hope it is fixed when the dent is fixed or it is definitely as reason for rust to form in the long run.
Old 16th May 2015, 18:22   #51
BHPian

That's very odd. Doesn't seem that that the gap has increased anywhere either. Take it to a local guy and get the mount checked.
rjun04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjun04 View Post
That's very odd. Doesn't seem that that the gap has increased anywhere either. Take it to a local guy and get the mount checked.
Last weekend I did a leak check and found the the point through which the water enters. It is not at the dent, but once the boot is opened, there is a point were the bumper is bolted to the body. I kept pouring water at different points and kept my hand inside to feel if it was coming in and at this particular point, I could feel it.
This also happened to be the roof drain outlet which made the boot fill up quickly. The dent has obviously widened some gap and I resorted to m-seal for now until I get it fixed.

Ford has quoted around 5k for the repairs excluding bumper.
Old 27th May 2015, 10:45   #53
BHPian

Hi tharian,

Your ride looks pampered and hot in that Peprika Red (Ford calls it that way AFAIK).

We faced the similar issue as you are facing with the little Fordie currently. Our figo also got hit from right side bumper and the area between tail-lamps and bumper got a dent leading to a leak. Car was parked in open during rains and realized the assimilated water is coming from the leak developed due to the hit.

It was fixed at a FNG just behind our place.
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 19:51   #54
BHPian

Is the colour of not called Colorado Red ? Paprika Red is a darker shade that is offered instead in newer Figo's I think.
quadbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2015, 20:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
Hi tharian,

Your ride looks pampered and hot in that Peprika Red (Ford calls it that way AFAIK).

We faced the similar issue as you are facing with the little Fordie currently. Our figo also got hit from right side bumper and the area between tail-lamps and bumper got a dent leading to a leak. Car was parked in open during rains and realized the assimilated water is coming from the leak developed due to the hit.

It was fixed at a FNG just behind our place.
Thanks for that.
So I guess it is a known issue if dented at that area. How much did the work come up to in your case?
I am yet to give mine to a FNG due to the distance of a decent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Is the colour of not called Colorado Red ? Paprika Red is a darker shade that is offered instead in newer Figo's I think.
Yes, it is Colorado Red.

--------------------------

Did a trip to Madras couple of weeks back , thankfully before the temperatures wet north, and must say the Figo performed as well as it did on the first highway trip.

The car is best driven with 2 passengers and that is when it can be truly enjoyed. Due to the puny output on this engine, a fully loaded car is annoying to drive with all the extra gear changes and waiting for a slope.

I left on the same day of Jayalalitha's bail verdict and because of that I had an empty 6 lane highway all the way from Hosur to the outskirts of Madras. Was able to keep a pretty decent speed all the way with AC running and got fuel efficiency of 14kmpl which was calculated at Ranipet on the way back after around 20-30 kms running in city traffic in Madras.
The return was via Chitoor and since I left Madras in the afternoon, I ended up on the newly laid expressway at dusk and with the overcast weather all the way, I got some low temperature air to get through the intake which helped in smooth ticking of the engine.

The exhaust note has changed for the better post the ton. Probably due to that fact that the load on the engine is less since the car was not loaded. Instead of the usual boom inside, it was a nice burble.

No issues as such expect for a slight squeak from the front right suspension which sounds like the link rod. Car has crossed 37k kms now.

Last edited by tharian : 27th May 2015 at 20:47.
Old 28th May 2015, 15:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks for that.
So I guess it is a known issue if dented at that area. How much did the work come up to in your case?
I am yet to give mine to a FNG due to the distance of a decent one.
Hey,

That incident happened in 2011. It might be a known issue partly due to the hinges design and pillar placement with the bumper and boot hatch lid.

We got it fixed temporarily at a paltry sum by just getting the dent removed and m-Seal.

p.s. :- Thanks for the correction in color name!!

Last edited by ampere : 28th May 2015 at 15:39. Reason: Removed some part of the entire quote
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2015, 18:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

Visited 3M Car Care in Koramangala for long due basic body wash. After getting the dent removed from the rear, I had no fear of water leak in the boot anymore .

Normally the car is washed by me using a pressure washer and a brilliant shampoo by Meguirs on an average of twice a month. The polishing is done once a year by me which does not come up to the professional work standards for obvious reasons.

Last week I had visited the same center for some wrap work on a friends XUV and decided to go there today for some wrap on my car.
Earlier I had tried doing a DIY with the wrap on the front grill and rear spoiler which came out okay and the wrap was showing its age over 2 years.

Since the car is nearing 5 years and I wanted a change in looks , so thought of getting the wrap done at 3M.

Got a body wash and interior vacuming done before the wrap was laid on. The work done is brilliant in regards to the washing and cleaning insides. There was a stain on the seat which was removed as well and now the interiors look fresh.

Due to the all black interiors, every grain of sand or dirt is visible and since I hadn't cleaned the insides with a vacum for a while now, it made a big difference.

The carbon fibre wrap was done on the rear spoiler and the front grill. The pictures will explain it better.

Overall it was a good job done and refreshed the look in the process.

Car has crossed 38k kms on the odo.
No other issues with the car except for the same squeaky noise when going over big undulations from the front which most probably is the link rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-img_20150626_111503.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-img_20150626_1259262.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-img_20150626_131530.jpg  

Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-img_20150626_1328252.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 26th June 2015 at 18:30.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Snap of Red Rascal ready to take off . Effects added on the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Long term report - Ford Figo 1.2 - 40,000 kms up!-img_20150628_1154413.jpg  

tharian is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 14:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday was the 5 years completion with my Figo 1.2.

Crossed just 38k kms in the 5 years and running has been low in the last year.
The 50k kms service is due next month and I need to replace the brake pads since braking effect has reduced quite a bit .

The rear dampers were coated with oil for sometime now, but no unusual noises or lack of shock absorbing, so will not be changing it .
The only other complaint is the a squeaking noise when going over bumps which I think is the link rod which needs to be checked.

Other than that, no complaints or issues. Engine is getting smoother and gear shifts remain slick. After moving to V-Power, the engine is running bit silent as well.
Mileage is between the single and double digits and I don't bother anymore since I enjoy the sound .
The conical filter needs to be cleaned often since the initial torque reduces quite a bit when it clogs up.

Gave the car a good wash on occasion of the 5th anniversary.
Old 30th August 2015, 00:07   #60
BHPian

Hey Tharian! 3M has done a pretty cool job with the car. It looks awesome! Just a headsup. Ford appears to be having crazy amount of ongoing discounts today. Got my 40K servicing done and the SA advised me to take the gold service plan for 7.2K which includes 3 free services and 1 year of free road side assist. Since my current service would have cost around 6-7k and I had to pay 1K only for the consumables I took the plan!

And they had an offer on accessories. Bought new covers for 3.3K and the center console for Rs.510 (usually around 2.5-3k)!
mukundz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote