Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 10:36   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
amalji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 1,131
Thanked: 1,243 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Can you please elaborate on that? Yes, Micra's NVH and interiors are much better. Any other shortcomings?
I'm not sure of any other. Will wait for @tsk 's views. Regardless the poor brakes and inadequate rear space in a Micra are a deal breaker for me any day
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 10:42   #77
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,741
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Specially the contrast of your car's colour with the white snow all around.
You said it; that was what I missed saying. Red always matches white and vice-versa; Marlboro, Ferrari, Airtel, MRF.

I don't know why this snow adventure generates more interest in me might be because I can associate such off-roading (if I can call that way) with my car. The real off-roading needs a real off-roadie which I or the common man don't have. And we all love snow, don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
This is a news. I am not aware of this. Is toyota going in a skoda rapid way?
The automotive scene is going the super market way? Take one get one free.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 10:42   #78
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 276 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Thanks @Tsk and @Amalji. I got the front suspensions changed under warranty. The Thud is gone. Feels like a miracle. With a more silent suspension, the NVH seems to have come down anyway. I don't find the ride any harsher in low speeds.
Please post if any one of you get any info on retrofitting new engine mount in the older model.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 12:57   #79
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Breathtaking pics which even make the Liva look pretty like anything. Specially the contrast of your car's colour with the white snow all around. Do post some more pics if you clicked any. The destination has just been added in the "to do" list.
Narkanda is actually a touristy avoidable hill station. However, snow changes its character. But if you have never been there, do visit


Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Can you please elaborate on that? Yes, Micra's NVH and interiors are much better. Any other shortcomings?
Push button start, one touch of a button folds the mirrors, the large bug eyed looks, the center console, the look and feel of the car inside.... All are great. But Liva has much better breaks, and a much smoother gearshift.
Micra costs less than Liva though.

Quote:
This is a news. I am not aware of this. Is toyota going in a skoda rapid way? If it is true, I am really repenting now for buying the car in last november and for not waiting for a few months.
Dunno. I could not find anything either, but a collegue told me that some dealers are giving this offer. I suspect its on petrol liva(old stock).


Quote:
Amazing pics, its great to see that you have so much trust on the cheapest toyota to take it to such places.
I have taken the cheapest Tata to much worse places, and still take another Tata to worst places. People drive the cheapest Maruti at much worse places without worry. A cheap car need not be unreliable, right?
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 13:11   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 246
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have taken the cheapest Tata to much worse places, and still take another Tata to worst places. People drive the cheapest Maruti at much worse places without worry. A cheap car need not be unreliable, right?
Couldn't agree more. My cousin's Alto has traveled almost all the states of India and never let him down.

It seems the "scooter"/"tractor" is slowly growing on you, and for all the right reasons. Great ownership report.
sups is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2013, 21:36   #81
Senior - BHPian
 
thoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Kerala
Posts: 1,741
Thanked: 1,055 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Push button start, one touch of a button folds the mirrors, the large bug eyed looks, the center console, the look and feel of the car inside.... All are great.
Most importantly, the lag-less drive-ability. May I invite you over to this thread

But no ABS and passenger air-bag for even the top variant.

Quote:
Micra costs less than Liva though.
Don't know about the discounts, but the ex-showroom price at my place a month and a half ago (before the recent price rise)
Liva GD - 5.96
Liva GD-SP - 6.28
Micra XV - 6.04
Micra XV Premium - 6.49
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 15:27   #82
BHPian
 
Bapu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 127
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Hi Tanveer,

Wanted your feedback on the Liva - D.

I have just sold my Getz D at 1.24K kms on the Odo and was on the lookout for a new car. While the mind says to get a sedan, there is no practical requirement for one as it will primarily be my commute car ( of the 1.24K on the getz, 95% was self drive,solo).

However, now am looking to buy a car which is comparatively low on maintenance and i feel that the Liva fits the bill.

Seek your as well as other Liva owners' feedback :

- What is the mileage that you are getting. City / Highway - Primarily Highway ( my major driving is on highways)
- Any issues faced
- Approximate maintenance costs
- Any other feedback that you wish to share

The other car which is in contention is the Duster, so there's no comparision as such!!
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013, 16:09   #83
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Hi Tanveer,

Wanted your feedback on the Liva - D.

I have just sold my Getz D at 1.24K kms on the Odo and was on the lookout for a new car. While the mind says to get a sedan, there is no practical requirement for one as it will primarily be my commute car ( of the 1.24K on the getz, 95% was self drive,solo).

However, now am looking to buy a car which is comparatively low on maintenance and i feel that the Liva fits the bill.

Seek your as well as other Liva owners' feedback :

- What is the mileage that you are getting. City / Highway - Primarily Highway ( my major driving is on highways)
- Any issues faced
- Approximate maintenance costs
- Any other feedback that you wish to share

The other car which is in contention is the Duster, so there's no comparision as such!!
I am happy with my liva. Its going on in the same boring way. Currently at 19000kms. Next week the 20,000kms service will be done at around 19700 or so

Highway mileage without AC is 23kmpl with ease
With AC its around 21

My normal driving is not beyond 100kmph. If you are agressive on the highway expect around 18-19kmpl with AC.

In peak city type of traffic with short runs you get 13-14kmpl with AC. However, if its not stop and go, but normal city traffic expect around 16-18kmpl with AC

As for maintenance, I just pay for service. Second service will be free since I advance paid around 3500 for 10,000kms and 20,000kms service. So its cheap to maintain.

I had suspension issue, and it was fixed with Toyota front suspension fix(already there on new cars). Thread has the details.

Speaking of general feedback, this is a very barebones car. Do not expect much luxury or features. Its a workhorse. I wanted a car which would keep running without fuss, and not got to service center expect for service. I am getting this from this car.

I have also done mountain driving on this car with very bad roads, and I am not disappointed at all. Unless I know I will be doing a stretch which has lots of water crossings etc,. I use this for travel. Easy to drive, cheaper on the pocket than the Safari due to much better FE, and stability at 100kmph is far better than the Safari. No weird going left and right, or body roll or diving and stuff.
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 12:24   #84
BHPian
 
Bapu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 127
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Toyota Liva : The Red one comes!(30,000kms update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am happy with my liva. Its going on in the same boring way.....this is a very barebones car. Do not expect much luxury or features.
Talk about boring and barebones... Took a test drive yesterday in the refreshed version...and Bhaiyaaa... by God... it gave a new definition of barebones

BUT, it was stable - tried hard braking and it didnt wobble also. The quality of plastics makes one wonder whether they picked them up from a scrap yard reject or what!

Major saving grace was the space.

TD'd the Amaze after that and felt that at the same price range ( Liva GD-SP and Amaze Entry Model) - Honda sure have come up with a winner. No wonder Toyota sales have taken a beating.

Major issue i found is that while sitting at the rear in the Amaza, my head touched the car roof while sitting upright, and i'm just your regular 6 footer!

The extreme basic interiors have now made me look at other options also, though i highly trust the T badge (having a innova in the family). Hopefully, things should be sorted out by this weekend.

Thanks so much for your feedback.
Bapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 16:46   #85
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default 20000kms and beyond

So, 20000kms are crossed, and the second free service is done.

Mileage is same good old :20+ without AC highways. around 20 with AC. City highway mix is 18. Pure dirty city mileage is around 15 with AC.

Due to "Toyota Smile package" I had free pickup and drop facility.

I booked the 20,000kms service, car was picked up and dropped. I had to pay 27rs for front bumper fitting. It had been ripped out due to minor traffic incident, and the plastic bits had broken. 27rs is not a bad deal.

I was expecting no hassle, but two things I must mention

First, there was a warranty replacement for transmission drain plug. Service adviser did not call me to tell about it. So I called them. Was there a leak? Well it turns out, the tech felt that the drain plug is a little rough, and may leak sometime in future, so they replaced it under warranty. Very good.

However coming to the negative... no wheel alignment was done and reason given was

"O/S wheels fitted".
Yes my Liva has outside alloy wheels. Now the question is, what does wheel alignment have to do with outside wheels? Balancing I can understand, as alloy wheel weights are expensive, and my smile package may not cover them. But balancing??

The funny thing is that 10,000kms (with same smile package) had alignment done. But for 20,000kms they do not do alignment.
So the consistency is missing. Either you do it, or you don't do it.

So I simple gave negative feedback regarding this item, and they have promised to get back to me. Lets see what happens.

Regarding the car. Its boring. Keeps running.
Even driving the thing is boring. If you go at 100kmph you hear everything from tire to wind noise. So forget listening to music. Ever since I started doing highway drives, I realized, its like fitting a music system on a scooter.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th July 2013 at 16:52.
tsk1979 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 19:40   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,670
Thanked: 10,962 Times
Default Re: 20000kms and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So, 20000kms are crossed, and the second free service is done.

Mileage is same good old :20+ without AC highways. around 20 with AC. City highway mix is 18. Pure dirty city mileage is around 15 with AC.
Hi Tanveer,

I'm in the market for a replacement for my Ritz VDi that is now at 94000 kms in 2.6 years and have started to search for the change. Wanted to go in for the Liva diesel variant since my daily driving is 116 kms.

Apart from the interiors which is a big negative point rest seems fine. Since you are a user wanted an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Regarding the car. Its boring. Keeps running. Even driving the thing is boring. If you go at 100kmph you hear everything from tire to wind noise. So forget listening to music. Ever since I started doing highway drives, I realized, its like fitting a music system on a scooter.
But reading the last part of the review I'm skeptical. Is this car advisable?

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 20:51   #87
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default Re: 20000kms and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But reading the last part of the review I'm skeptical. Is this car advisable?

Cheers,
Anurag.
Anurag, the car is trouble free. However, regarding road noise, wind noise and lack of insulation, its best you take a TD and see if this much bare bones is good enough for you.
So for a no nonsense car with good engine, amazing gearbox, light clutch and great comfort for driving and handling etc., its great. I jokingly call it my reliable scooter
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 22:15   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 14,855
Thanked: 2,389 Times
Default Re: 20000kms and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
its great. I jokingly call it my reliable scooter
You mean its the Bajaj Chetak of today
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 22:25   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,670
Thanked: 10,962 Times
Default Re: 20000kms and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Anurag, the car is trouble free. However, regarding road noise, wind noise and lack of insulation, its best you take a TD and see if this much bare bones is good enough for you.
So for a no nonsense car with good engine, amazing gearbox, light clutch and great comfort for driving and handling etc., its great. I jokingly call it my reliable scooter
I did have a go in the car and found it pretty good city driving manners with decent pick up and less of a turbo lag. Wanted to check on the highway manners as I my drive comprises 70% highway driving.

I'm a fan of Toyota and its reliable cars and no-nonsense service.

In the Ritz, above 110 kmph the engine feels strenuous and out of breath. I don't want this behaviour in the next car I buy.

Wish Toyota does something to the central console and moves it to the original position like what Tata did with its Indica Vista.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 11:28   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,704
Thanked: 15,164 Times
Default Re: 20000kms and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I did have a go in the car and found it pretty good city driving manners with decent pick up and less of a turbo lag. Wanted to check on the highway manners as I my drive comprises 70% highway driving.

I'm a fan of Toyota and its reliable cars and no-nonsense service.

In the Ritz, above 110 kmph the engine feels strenuous and out of breath. I don't want this behaviour in the next car I buy.

Wish Toyota does something to the central console and moves it to the original position like what Tata did with its Indica Vista.

Cheers,
Anurag.
110kmph? A 68bhp 900+ kg car is not for you. Best to go for an i20. Most of these 60-75bhp powered hatches are comfortable around 100-110. Beyond that the engine will strain. You can comfortable cruise till 120 in the liva, at which point the wind noise, the road noise will drown out everything. Forget music etc.,

I suggest you take a highway test drive, maybe from a dealer in the outskirts of the town.

If you want a quieter fast cruiser, check out i20. I did not like the AC, and potential service costs(as reported by fellow owners), however, as a car it was just brilliant, with adequate power, silent interiors, and decent road manners.

Coming back to the ritz, its peppier than the Liva once you are in turbo zone, but liva is much better for driving at lower rpms as low end torque is better.

Liva also handles better, esp after the suspension fix by toyota.

My advice, never buy a car without test driving it in your standard use model scenario!
tsk1979 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update saadat1992 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 359 17th January 2017 15:05
The Abominable (Skoda) Yeti *UPDATE* 20,000Kms Update on Pg.14 SushilBajpai Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 281 8th December 2016 16:08
White meets Black, it's Toyota Liva GD Xclusive for me. EDIT: 30,000 km update driving_smartly Long-Term Ownership Reviews 27 10th August 2016 23:30
Living Tmrrw 2Day - Toyota Etios Liva G - SP Vermilion Red - 10,000 kms nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 184 25th June 2015 18:41
My Toyota Liva GDSP, a true Journey: 2nd Free Service (10,000 kms) update on Pg. 4 Mister_M Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 13th January 2014 16:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks