Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 10:25   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 3,441 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Fantastic review CrAzY dRiVeR. I waited until the weekend to thread this fully in one-go. Not often we get to see reviews like this. Many times, the love for the car influence the perspectives and words penned, but not in this case. Good going indeed!

The Punto is a handsome hatchback, but it looked even better in your writeup. Thanks for the well-placed pictures.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 10:54   #77
BHPian
 
crazybiker46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: TVM\Dubai
Posts: 585
Thanked: 263 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Excellent review!! You have described in detail about all aspects of the car, this thread itself is enough for someone to go for a Punto.

Now i wish this is how i should have started my Beat D ownership thread

It was fun to read the story behind buying a Punto though i had been following you from the time you decided to go for Swift and glad to see my humble review is also featured in the thread

Wishing you a safe , enjoyable and trouble free long term ownership
crazybiker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 12:43   #78
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,185
Thanked: 13,109 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
No Fiat advertisement or media write up has ever gotten me so interested in the brand as this review has. That's an awesome job, mate!

Please make sure you keep the thread alive. I'm the latest one to get hooked to your thread. And if I ever end up getting myself a Punto, this thread can claim the spark that ignited the fire!
Thank you. If my daily run was a bit lesser - and if a petrol car would have sufficed - I would have made the same choice you did - Honda Jazz. At the new prices - its just too good to be true. Unfortunately - my daily travel to office and back itself takes around 40+ kms.

My other car is a silver, KL-02 registered, '04 WagonR VXi with around 85k on the odo. I got it from true value as well, as the 3rd owner. Parents are using it now though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Fantastic review CrAzY dRiVeR. I waited until the weekend to thread this fully in one-go. Not often we get to see reviews like this. Many times, the love for the car influence the perspectives and words penned, but not in this case. Good going indeed!

The Punto is a handsome hatchback, but it looked even better in your writeup. Thanks for the well-placed pictures.
Thank you.

After FIAT's recent decision to move away from TATA, are you still considering Linea in that shortlist of your's? I myself am unsure if it was a good or a bad move, but I'm happy FIATs have 15k service intervals - and I have another 9k+ kms to go before the next service comes up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
and glad to see my humble review is also featured in the thread
Your job is not done yet.

The ICE upgrade plan that we had discussed, is back. Most probably by end- June. I'll confirm once the leave plan is approved. Will retain the HU and 'blue & me' and need to plan a system around it. The stock speakers cheated - They still sound nice, but crackling at higher volumes - and it seems to be getting worse - week by week, specially the ones at the front. Not sure if the rear ones need to be replaced.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th May 2012 at 12:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 13:21   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 3,441 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
After FIAT's recent decision to move away from TATA, are you still considering Linea in that shortlist of your's? I myself am unsure if it was a good or a bad move, but I'm happy FIATs have 15k service intervals - and I have another 9k+ kms to go before the next service comes up.
Definitely yes! For me, the car comes first. No. of dealerships/ASC across the nation is not a big criterion. One competent ASC in the vicinity is good enough. It’s best to enjoy the car rather than pre-empt a breakdown and end up in a compromise.

Take your case… Booked the Swift initially, and ended up in the alternate camp

I feel these long service intervals of the euro cars are a real boon – less planned visits to the service centre.

Last edited by vb-san : 6th May 2012 at 13:22.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 22:53   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,633
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess A2DP streaming is available in Polo and i20? Heard my friends raving about it. Somehow - I dont miss that functionality as of now. My wife keeps updating her music collection - and I just copy that for use in the car. My phone music collection is never properly updated. Infact - I only listen to music while travelling in the car.
It is available in the Figo AFAIK.

BTW, will update you on the voice control for folder change, soon.
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 04:38   #81
BHPian
 
PremjitS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 26
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

A damn good ownership report .

You took your own sweet time to compile this, but the end result was worth it. It's evident that you have been Punto'ed!!

I haven't faced any rattles so far in my 2012 version Dynamic. So not sure if this is endemic of the new cars or just a bad batch.
PremjitS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 08:12   #82
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,185
Thanked: 13,109 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Guys, I'm trying my best to read through the ICE threads. Need to plan a system within a budget of around 40k (50k max if unavoidable).

Is it worth to retain the HU for the steering mounted controls and blue&me? I like the stock look of the dash (with the company HU) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Definitely yes! For me, the car comes first. No. of dealerships/ASC across the nation is not a big criterion. One competent ASC in the vicinity is good enough. It’s best to enjoy the car rather than pre-empt a breakdown and end up in a compromise.

Take your case… Booked the Swift initially, and ended up in the alternate camp

I feel these long service intervals of the euro cars are a real boon – less planned visits to the service centre.
Got a mail from TATA - FIAT about the opening of new service centers. A 'letter of assurance' that the existing centers will provide service till a smooth transition takes place. Nice initiative from FIAT.

I hope everything will be smooth by the time you are ready for your purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
It is available in the Figo AFAIK.

BTW, will update you on the voice control for folder change, soon.
Waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremjitS View Post
A damn good ownership report .

You took your own sweet time to compile this, but the end result was worth it. It's evident that you have been Punto'ed!!

I haven't faced any rattles so far in my 2012 version Dynamic. So not sure if this is endemic of the new cars or just a bad batch.
Thank you.

Its not just a batch. I posted about the same in the TD thread - and it seems a lot of people are facing the same problem. It starts as a small sound like small stones rolling inside the door pad assembly. You are really lucky if your car is good so far! Enjoy.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 19:04   #83
BHPian
 
spindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 229
Thanked: 13 Times
Question Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Congratulations on purchasing this beauty and thanks for your detailed and thoroughly engaging ownership report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If my daily run was a bit lesser - and if a petrol car would have sufficed - I would have made the same choice you did - Honda Jazz. At the new prices - its just too good to be true.
Are you sure about this? I test drove the 2012 Punto yesterday and was just blown away by the ride quality and its ability to glide over potholes and over-sized speed breakers (I am not advocating that we should ignore speed breakers, but we just tested this at the salesperson's insistence).

The cabin was super silent too, in stark contrast to a friend's Figo that we drove to the dealership in. We did not test it at > 60 kph though.

I have received news of allotment of a Jazz (I had booked 8 months ago) but I am now unsure about which way to go!

Jazz vs Punto may be an apples and oranges comparison, but even from the point of view of practicality / versatility (the Jazz's USP), each has its own unique strengths.
Jazz: Unbeatable space for occupants and luggage, All round visibility (Covers every application: Transport 5 people in good comfort, shopping, moving stuff, airport and railway station runs)
Punto: High GC + Superb suspension setup, ACC (Offers the ability to drive comfortably on any road condition one can normally expect to encounter)


Quote:
The stock speakers cheated - They still sound nice, but crackling at higher volumes - and it seems to be getting worse - week by week, specially the ones at the front. Not sure if the rear ones need to be replaced.
The sound quality from the stock speakers in the demo car (75hp Emotion) was quite poor. The bass was quite weak (we tried mutiple EQ settings) and the speakers crackled with an increase in volume. It was no match for the stock speakers on the Figo.

One question: Is the double-folding rear (40%) seat a new inclusion in the 2012 Punto or was it there in the earlier models too?

Sorry if this is .

Last edited by spindoc : 13th May 2012 at 19:09.
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 09:33   #84
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

@spindoc:
I have been driving Jazz, Punto and couple of other cars during last few months and here are my impressions:

Jazz is a master of versatility, but the road bumps and potholes filters more into the cabin than in Punto and Vista. Jazz offers better visibility, lot more options to carry luggage, nicer dash and plastics, but loses out to Punto when it comes to ride comfort (filtering out of bumps and potholes), and when the needle climbs into triple digit zone, Jazz never gives me confidence like Punto gives. I feel the breaks of Punto are better confidence inspiring than that of Jazz.

@CD: Thanks for putting a very through ownership report. now this is one of my 'must check daily' threads on TBhp.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 19:54   #85
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,185
Thanked: 13,109 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Are you sure about this? I test drove the 2012 Punto yesterday and was just blown away by the ride quality and its ability to glide over potholes and over-sized speed breakers (I am not advocating that we should ignore speed breakers, but we just tested this at the salesperson's insistence).

The cabin was super silent too, in stark contrast to a friend's Figo that we drove to the dealership in. We did not test it at > 60 kph though.

I have received news of allotment of a Jazz (I had booked 8 months ago) but I am now unsure about which way to go!

Jazz vs Punto may be an apples and oranges comparison, but even from the point of view of practicality / versatility (the Jazz's USP), each has its own unique strengths.
Jazz: Unbeatable space for occupants and luggage, All round visibility (Covers every application: Transport 5 people in good comfort, shopping, moving stuff, airport and railway station runs)
Punto: High GC + Superb suspension setup, ACC (Offers the ability to drive comfortably on any road condition one can normally expect to encounter)

One question: Is the double-folding rear (40%) seat a new inclusion in the 2012 Punto or was it there in the earlier models too?
Did you take a TD of the petrol/ diesel Punto?

If it were to be a petrol - I would not have gone the Punto way for sure. Would have been a tough fight between Swift ZXi / Jazz X. Creamy high revving petrol engines with agility to match. Again, with just 2 persons using the car - my main consideration was how much I liked the drive.

Double folding rear seats were included in the earlier versions as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
@spindoc:
I have been driving Jazz, Punto and couple of other cars during last few months and here are my impressions:

Jazz is a master of versatility, but the road bumps and potholes filters more into the cabin than in Punto and Vista. Jazz offers better visibility, lot more options to carry luggage, nicer dash and plastics, but loses out to Punto when it comes to ride comfort (filtering out of bumps and potholes), and when the needle climbs into triple digit zone, Jazz never gives me confidence like Punto gives. I feel the breaks of Punto are better confidence inspiring than that of Jazz.
True.

Speaking of which - Following the discussions in the TD thread - I tried reducing the tyre pressure to 30 PSI on nitrogen (From 32 PSI recommended on the door sticker) and the difference is surprising.

Next time - I'm going to reduce it to 29 PSI.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 02:03   #86
BHPian
 
spindoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Madras
Posts: 229
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Did you take a TD of the petrol/ diesel Punto?

If it were to be a petrol - I would not have gone the Punto way for sure. Would have been a tough fight between Swift ZXi / Jazz X. Creamy high revving petrol engines with agility to match. Again, with just 2 persons using the car - my main consideration was how much I liked the drive.

Double folding rear seats were included in the earlier versions as well.
I test drove the 75hp MJD E variant - while I do not require a diesel, the price difference between the Jazz X and the Punto 75hp E is not huge and so I thought I'd take a look at it. I have not had a chance to test drive the Jazz at all, although I booked it a long while ago and was allotted a car last week (I have deferred the purchase).

My question was whether you would have still chosen the Jazz, now that you have the benefit of hindsight, having experienced the Punto's ride quality and superb ground clearance. I guess you have answered it in your post.
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 20:40   #87
BHPian
 
punto_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hyd/Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The ICE upgrade plan that we had discussed, is back. Most probably by end- June. I'll confirm once the leave plan is approved. Will retain the HU and 'blue & me' and need to plan a system around it. The stock speakers cheated - They still sound nice, but crackling at higher volumes - and it seems to be getting worse - week by week, specially the ones at the front. Not sure if the rear ones need to be replaced.
I would strongly suggest you to throw away both front and rear speakers. Both are pathetic indeed. I still have them lying in my home, not sure what to do about them. As my car didn't have blue and me, I upgraded HU as well. If I did with the steering controls, probably I would have kept the stock one.

But I must add this, I initially just changed all the 4 speakers, and kept using the stock HU, and later when I replaced that with Pioneer, I understood how weak the OEM HU was. And with the AMP and the SUB added in my car, I stopped listening to music at home.

The car completed 29100+ after the Ooty trip and the time is nearing for the service. I hope the service quality doesn't drop after the recent announcement of the separation of TATA and Fiat.
punto_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 03:55   #88
BHPian
 
PremjitS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 26
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Speaking of which - Following the discussions in the TD thread - I tried reducing the tyre pressure to 30 PSI on nitrogen (From 32 PSI recommended on the door sticker) and the difference is surprising.

Next time - I'm going to reduce it to 29 PSI.
Have gone with 29 PSI too....let's see how it feels. Even I felt that the TD car had a better ride quality. Since the TD car was an Emotion variant with 15" rubber on alloys, do to the alloys help in any way with the ride?
PremjitS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 06:13   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,185
Thanked: 13,109 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Sunfilm ban is getting enforced in Chennai on Monday. Will be getting the dark tints (result of a goof-up at the dealership) removed today. She would also be getting new headlamps (Osram Nightbreaker most probably, dont want to play with the electricals yet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
My question was whether you would have still chosen the Jazz, now that you have the benefit of hindsight, having experienced the Punto's ride quality and superb ground clearance. I guess you have answered it in your post.
The heart v/s mind debate? Mind would have told Jazz. Heart would have told Swift petrol.

BUT if its a question of diesel Punto v/s Honda Jazz - I'd pick the diesel. Its still fun (A tuning box or a remap can sort out the power later on) while the fuel bills can bring a huge smile on those long drives as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I would strongly suggest you to throw away both front and rear speakers. Both are pathetic indeed. I still have them lying in my home, not sure what to do about them. As my car didn't have blue and me, I upgraded HU as well. If I did with the steering controls, probably I would have kept the stock one.

But I must add this, I initially just changed all the 4 speakers, and kept using the stock HU, and later when I replaced that with Pioneer, I understood how weak the OEM HU was. And with the AMP and the SUB added in my car, I stopped listening to music at home.

The car completed 29100+ after the Ooty trip and the time is nearing for the service. I hope the service quality doesn't drop after the recent announcement of the separation of TATA and Fiat.
Would lose out on steering controls + blue&me. Hence thinking of trying something like Audison Connection SLI to connect the HU with the 4 channel amplifier.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th May 2012 at 06:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 08:39   #90
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 1,034 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity- Ownership Experience- FIAT Grande Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
She would also be getting new headlamps (Osram Nightbreaker most probably, dont want to play with the electricals yet).
This is a good and much needed upgrade - instead of Osram Night breaker, try the Osram nightbreaker +, the new and upgraded model. I have used NB earlier and I am using NB+ now, and I feel NB+ illuminates more than NB.
theexperthand is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat Grande Punto: 50 months & 90,000 kms. EDIT: Now sold sidindica Long-Term Ownership Reviews 125 2nd January 2017 08:50
2 years / 20,000 km with my Italian Stallion : The Fiat Punto Evo 90HP Sudeep_Kimster Long-Term Ownership Reviews 39 4th November 2016 15:31
63,000 kms with a Fiat Grande Punto Rubbertramps Long-Term Ownership Reviews 4 20th June 2014 17:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks