Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2015, 13:47   #481
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congrats CrAzY dRiVeR on a major milestone. Glad to note the Fiat is in very good shape.

Very impressed by the feature where the taillights can double up as an indicator when the latter is not working. Supremely thoughtful of Fiat. It's things like this which will make you keep the car for long. Finding an upgrade is going to be hard. Wishing you many more milestones. Keep having fun!
Thank you. Yes, finding an upgrade is going to be a bit hard because this car really suits my current usage requirements perfectly. I would like a combination of a good Diesel engine, good GC, good handling, good expressway manners, decent space and good looks.

A crossover that handles well should probably fit the bill, but then- all these thoughts can be put on hold till the Punto manages to keep her act steady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
Congratulations on the cool 100k. Not many achieve this kind of run in just 3.5 years. Shows the love for driving. Such a short list of niggles is a tribute to the Punto and it's brilliant build quality. Wishing you many more munching miles.

Cheers
Thank you. I expected an yearly running of close to 10k kms when I planned to purchase this year. Turned out 3 times more than my estimate.

Forgot to add one more niggle- The volume control knob on the music system keeps going back to zero if you try to increase or decrease the volume quickly.

However, it's never a bother for me since I always use the steering mounted controls for this purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Hi,

Are you still using the RD box? Is it on full-time?

Salil
RD box has not been used since the 60k service. Frankly, I hate the idea of removing it before service and putting it back (although to their credit- RD guys are always willing to do it free for you anytime when required). The sensors are not so conveniently located and my hands are not too thin either.

Second concern was about reliability, since the car has already clocked 100k, and I would like to keep it for a much longer term.

At one point the box was put up for sale in team bhp classifieds. But then- I didn't follow up.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:46   #482
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,305
Thanked: 4,146 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Congratulations, CrAzY dRiVeR!!! That's a superb run to the 6 figure mark. And almost niggle free, I would say!

Wear and tear parts have also given you good life. Especially clutch still on stock and brake pads giving you an average of around 35K Kms.

Not good to hear about the wiper blade quality. I am planning to change my stock wiper at 60K servicing.

Happy Motoring!!!
arun_josie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 09:41   #483
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default

1,00,000 kms photoshoot

Had some fun shooting the car soon after the 1L kms milestone. Here are the results, and how it looks now. All stock except for the music system, which anyways can't be figured out from outside.

Bonnet needs repainting thanks to vandals from my earlier apartment complex. Some small, but deep scratches are evident.

Name:  IMG_2941_800.jpg
Views: 1704
Size:  461.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2929_800.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  328.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2926_800.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  297.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2935_800.jpg
Views: 1700
Size:  463.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2934_800.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  429.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2937_800.jpg
Views: 1679
Size:  450.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2940_800.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  428.2 KB


Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Congratulations, CrAzY dRiVeR!!! That's a superb run to the 6 figure mark. And almost niggle free, I would say!

Wear and tear parts have also given you good life. Especially clutch still on stock and brake pads giving you an average of around 35K Kms.

Not good to hear about the wiper blade quality. I am planning to change my stock wiper at 60K servicing.

Happy Motoring!!!
Thank you.

So you've been lucky with the stock wiper blades as well. Exceptional quality. But the replacement ones served me just as good as the ones on my earlier Maruti cars- Starts leaving small lines in just a matter of weeks and needs replacement almost every 15k service.

Wonder if the makes are different between stock and replacement wiper blades?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2015, 11:25   #484
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 5,011
Thanked: 2,020 Times
Smile re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

@crazy_driver

Absolutely smashing. Reaching the magical 6 figure mark is a dream for a very Fiatian. I think you should be included in the Fiat India's hall of fame and use your experience with the car for marketing. I would assume the time is ripe for an upgrade preferably to the Abarth Punto or would it be a sedan from Fiat stable.

Keep those mile crunching at the same pace, looking forward to read much more satisfying experiences with the Punto.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 10:08   #485
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Congratulations CrAzY dRiVeR.

Is this your daily car or highway cruiser? If you have completed even 50k in Bangalore traffic, then hats-off to you man.

Wish you many more happy and safe miles.
Both my daily drive as well as my highway car, since I have only one car. We have an Xcent AT as well, but that one is used only by my father.

I came to Bangalore with around 28k on the odo back in March 2013. So I guess I would have completed much more than 50k kms inside Bangalore city. However, my regular office timings are such that I can avoid peak hour traffic inside the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@crazy_driver

Absolutely smashing. Reaching the magical 6 figure mark is a dream for a very Fiatian. I think you should be included in the Fiat India's hall of fame and use your experience with the car for marketing. I would assume the time is ripe for an upgrade preferably to the Abarth Punto or would it be a sedan from Fiat stable.

Keep those mile crunching at the same pace, looking forward to read much more satisfying experiences with the Punto.
Hall of fame has members who have done more than 2.5L kms on the Punto. I'm nowhere close. Haha.

Thanks. No upgrades planned as long as the Punto remains reliable like it has been till date.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2015, 12:16   #486
BHPian
 
abhii176's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 132
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1,00,000 kms update.

Finally - the big milestone I've been waiting for!

My Punto 90hp becomes the first car in our family to clock one hundred thousand kilometers, the previous best being our WagonR at 94k kms.
Wow, 100k in 3.5 years! That's some run rate you got there mate. Many congratulations on the big milestone, the Punto is one solidly built car and is definitely very confidence inspiring.
My 2009 1.4 Punto is also steadily going on and on. At the 6 year mark now ,the odo is at 83k and she's definitely up for many more kms. My running is nowhere as much as yours ( little less than 14k a year so far) but hoping to hit the magic 100k maybe by end of next year.
Thrilled to see a fellow Punto owner clock so many miles!
abhii176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 06:19   #487
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

My S-Cross 1.6 diesel- Test drive experience has been posted here (Maruti S-Cross : Official Review)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhii176 View Post
Wow, 100k in 3.5 years! That's some run rate you got there mate. Many congratulations on the big milestone, the Punto is one solidly built car and is definitely very confidence inspiring.
My 2009 1.4 Punto is also steadily going on and on. At the 6 year mark now ,the odo is at 83k and she's definitely up for many more kms. My running is nowhere as much as yours ( little less than 14k a year so far) but hoping to hit the magic 100k maybe by end of next year.
Thrilled to see a fellow Punto owner clock so many miles!
Thank you. Hope you hit the 100K mark as planned and I get to celebrate the 150K mark at the same time as well, both cars running without any issues.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th September 2015 at 15:45. Reason: Hi CD, do cross-link rather than cross post. Thanks :)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 08:00   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 1,620 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Congo's on crossing the 100k km mark! It's holding up brilliantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...Am I impressed enough to upgrade? Well, no. While the engine is powerful and the increased space is welcome, these are not enough to feel good about parting with 14 lakh INR on top of the exchange value of a 3.5 year old Punto 90hp...
Thanks for the perspective!

That's crazy pricing, even for the bigger Maruti fans, the XUV / Storme is actually a better alternative at that price point.

Other may consider many factors, but personally, I guess this is typical of Maruti, cars are either over priced, or under-featured, & only useful to those who see the complete value in exactly how much they offer.
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 08:39   #489
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Am I impressed enough to upgrade? Well, no.
It took me only one test drive of the Punto to understand what a Fiat is about, no Suzuki or even a VW can come close to it. Since you've hit 6 figures in the Punto I can only imagine why other cars would seem 'lesser'. I'm used to hydraulic steering too (Getz) & I felt at home test-driving the Punto, I was little adventurous & ran over some pretty bad patches of roads at 40-50kmph and the car happily rode over them like they were nothing with little to nil body-roll despite the rather high ground clearance. The only pain point for me was the slightly weird driving angle (as you've mentioned), the steering felt too high & the gearshift took getting used to. Nonetheless I'd pick it over a Polo (manual) all day long despite its lower power.

As for you, why not the Linea? It feels like a natural upgrade in your case, not to mention the all-new interiors, the cruise control, Harman Kardon music system etc. For its price the 1.4 T-Jet makes a far better buy than S-Cross.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2015, 12:57   #490
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,481
Thanked: 4,073 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It took me only one test drive of the Punto to understand what a Fiat is about, no Suzuki or even a VW can come close to it. Since you've hit 6 figures in the Punto I can only imagine why other cars would seem 'lesser'. I'm used to hydraulic steering too (Getz) & I felt at home test-driving the Punto, I was little adventurous & ran over some pretty bad patches of roads at 40-50kmph and the car happily rode over them like they were nothing with little to nil body-roll despite the rather high ground clearance. The only pain point for me was the slightly weird driving angle (as you've mentioned), the steering felt too high & the gearshift took getting used to. Nonetheless I'd pick it over a Polo (manual) all day long despite its lower power.

As for you, why not the Linea? It feels like a natural upgrade in your case, not to mention the all-new interiors, the cruise control, Harman Kardon music system etc. For its price the 1.4 T-Jet makes a far better buy than S-Cross.
Guess, Crazy_Driver might have considered the Linea in case Fiat had plonked the 1.6 MJD in it. I might have too . But with his kind of running, only a diesel works, the Turbo Petrol will run him broke.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 01:30   #491
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
XUV / Storme is actually a better alternative at that price point.
The problem with these two vehicles though is the fact that they occupy so much of real estate space, that I kind of feel it's an overkill for a couple. Moreover, parking would be a pain both in the apartment basement and at office.

XUV5OO seems the best value on paper though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
As for you, why not the Linea? It feels like a natural upgrade in your case, not to mention the all-new interiors, the cruise control, Harman Kardon music system etc. For its price the 1.4 T-Jet makes a far better buy than S-Cross.
I can't afford the petrol TJet thanks to my heavy usage. To give you an idea, the car should touch the 1.05L kms mark by next weekend whereas it reached 1L mark only on the 22nd of last month.

And the diesel doesn't offer much more other than boot space and more importantly cruise control.

A 1.6 MJD Linea would have been an ideal candidate. That said- throw in the 1.6 MJD into the Punto with cruise control - I don't mind upgrading to the same car, but in red clothes next time.

PS- The more you test drive competing cars and the upgrade price tag they command, the more you start valuing your car!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th September 2015 at 01:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 05:43   #492
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 1,620 Times
Default Re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Punto 90HP - 1,00,000 kms and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
PS- The more you test drive competing cars and the upgrade price tag they command, the more you start valuing your car!
So true!
The "what I have is quite good only..." feeling.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...I can't afford the petrol TJet thanks to my heavy usage. To give you an idea, the car should touch the 1.05L kms mark by next weekend whereas it reached 1L mark only on the 22nd of last month...
You're right.

Btw, if looking at a 16L - 17.5L outlay, another suggestion is to consider a lateral upgrade in the pre-worshipped market for a luxury/performance brand.

Maybe a young Yeti/Superb/Passat or abit used Camry.

Though the regular maintenance may be abit, it's a luxury/performance brand.

Just my 2.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th September 2015 at 05:50.
GrammarNazi is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2015, 12:38   #493
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Got the brake pads replaced today, and also bought the default OEM floor mats which had started showing its age. I like the OEM mats better than the likes of 3M noodle mats. The driver side mat has lost its battle against my woodland shoes, although all others still remain in good condition. It is available only as a pair for Rs 893/- though.

Brake pads are into the fourth set now- earlier replaced at 38k, 68k and now at 104k kms.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th September 2015 at 12:43.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 15:54   #494
BHPian
 
S.MJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 478 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Got the brake pads replaced today
CD your mile munching is more than double what I have been doing, just completed 50K last week. Great going

How much did the break pads cost, I am planning replacement in a couple of weeks, thanks.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 16:20   #495
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,870
Thanked: 16,333 Times
Default re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 1,50,000 km up!

Guess I spoke about the (lack of) niggles too soon. The blue&me seems to have conked off and it seems there is no extended warranty coverage for it. A replacement would blow a 14k hole in the pocket.

Waiting to take a second opinion on the issue. This is the second major issue after the a/c issue I faced around the 45k mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
CD your mile munching is more than double what I have been doing, just completed 50K last week. Great going

How much did the break pads cost, I am planning replacement in a couple of weeks, thanks.
Thanks.

Forgot to mention the costs associated with the service.

Brake pad set- Rs 3455/-
Brake pad labour - Rs 520.41/-

Clips (Holding the engine bay insulation in place had come loose) - 4 * Rs 54.15/-
Floor mats (set) - Rs 893/-
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 years / 20,000 km with my Italian Stallion : The Fiat Punto Evo 90HP Sudeep_Kimster Long-Term Ownership Reviews 39 4th November 2016 15:31
Fiat Grande Punto and the new Fiat Sedan; Tata-Fiat JV jkdas The Indian Car Scene 37 4th March 2009 17:01


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks