Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:16   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Nice review. I have the same 99 Vx in metallic Red colour. Mine has run 130K Kms. Its a very simple and good looking car. The ground clearance is an issue one needs to keep in mind.
Yes, the Zen engines if maintained well enough can easily do uptil 200k kms, maybe even beyond that. Fantastic car, and great to see yours is still going strong!

Ground clearance is a bit of an issue as you say (same problem with Baleno, old Honda City etc) - I've encountered problems with this in the past - but it's usually not THAT big of an issue if one drives safely (while keeping the low ground clearance in mind). The car's peppiness more than makes up for it though!

Cheers, and enjoy your Zen - I still remember my golden baby - will always remember, and cherish the many trips we (my wife and me) made in it!

Rahul
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:50   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,541
Thanked: 1,277 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

I had hitched my first ride on a zen in 1998 from my college and fell in love with the car instantly (can make this out from my username too). I decided on a zen to be my first car but they boxed it out (read estilofied) by the time I had that kind money.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:41   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I had hitched my first ride on a zen in 1998 from my college and fell in love with the car instantly (can make this out from my username too). I decided on a zen to be my first car but they boxed it out (read estilofied) by the time I had that kind money.
I always thought that the Zen looked best in it's old avatar - the jellybean shape, that is. The Estilo for some reason looks like an overgrown insect to me - the new Estilo look just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. . .
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:35   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
I always thought that the Zen looked best in it's old avatar - the jellybean shape, that is. The Estilo for some reason looks like an overgrown insect to me - the new Estilo look just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. . .
I fully agree with this viewpoint. If a poll is conducted, I am sure 90% would agree too.

By the way, this is a nice review of a car that I'd always dreamed of owning in the days when I'd owned a M800.

I could see from your pics that the CNG unit has eaten away 70% of your boot space. But I was curious to know how much it costs per Km in city driving while using CNG.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:56   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I fully agree with this viewpoint. If a poll is conducted, I am sure 90% would agree too.

By the way, this is a nice review of a car that I'd always dreamed of owning in the days when I'd owned a M800.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I could see from your pics that the CNG unit has eaten away 70% of your boot space. But I was curious to know how much it costs per Km in city driving while using CNG.
Haha, it's more like 95% of the boot space in the already tiny Zen boot - there was only enough space for to put my tools (jack etc), a brush to dust the car, and a portable tire inflator. . .

I used to get fairly decent mileage in Delhi - somewhere around 18km/kg without A/C, and around 15 WITH A/C if I recall correctly. Keep in mind that MOST of (like over 95%) my driving was in stop/go conditions - on the rare occasions that I did get decent driving conditions (i.e. travel at at least 40-50km/hr for a bit), it shot up to around 17 with A/C, and 20 or so without.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by Zenster99 : 3rd September 2012 at 21:57.
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:58   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
Thanks



Haha, it's more like 95% of the boot space in the already tiny Zen boot - there was only enough space for to put my tools (jack etc), a brush to dust the car, and a portable tire inflator. . .

I used to get fairly decent mileage in Delhi - somewhere around 18km/kg without A/C, and around 15 WITH A/C if I recall correctly. Keep in mind that more than 80% of my driving was in stop/go conditions - on the rare occasions that I did get decent driving conditions (i.e. travel at at least 40-50km/hr for a bit), it shot up to around 17 with A/C, and 20 or so without.

Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks, but you've already quoted the figures on the previous page. What I am not aware of is the cost of CNG per kg, and hence wanted to know the cost per km in city conditions.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 22:02   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks, but you've already quoted the figures on the previous page. What I am not aware of is the cost of CNG per kg, and hence wanted to know the cost per km in city conditions.
Hmm, hadn't calculated that. When I was last there, CNG used to cost me Rs 38.35/kg, but it used to cost less a month and a half (or so) ago - around Rs 36/kg, if I recall correctly. So, haven't worked out what the cost/km is, pretty much because I know it's way cheaper than petrol, but those were the prices as I remember them, so it's fairly easy to work out given the mileage I got.
Zenster99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Hello Zenster & all Zen fans!

Somehow stumbled on this old thread & I must say an apt review indeed. Apart from low ground clearance & a miniature boot space, I don't see too many other drawbacks in this car in my ownership of last 10 years! Of course, lacks the current safety standards, but still has one of the finest engines around & no other car in the segment of 1000 cc can match its performance I guess.

As a tribute, I am posting my Zen's pic. Please bear with the photo quality as the pic was taken from my cell phone for some other purpose. & BTW someone on this thread asked about 100/90W Philips rally. I have that running since last 2.5 years without any problem. The main thing is that I have not got any relay or wiring change. The illumination is very satisfactory. Quite a good change over the stock 60/55 W.

Thanks for reading!
Regards,
Saket
Attached Thumbnails
'99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review-sakets.jpg  

saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 14:37   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Zenster & all Zen fans!

Somehow stumbled on this old thread & I must say an apt review indeed. Apart from low ground clearance & a miniature boot space, I don't see too many other drawbacks in this car in my ownership of last 10 years! Of course, lacks the current safety standards, but still has one of the finest engines around & no other car in the segment of 1000 cc can match its performance I guess.

As a tribute, I am posting my Zen's pic. Please bear with the photo quality as the pic was taken from my cell phone for some other purpose. & BTW someone on this thread asked about 100/90W Philips rally. I have that running since last 2.5 years without any problem. The main thing is that I have not got any relay or wiring change. The illumination is very satisfactory. Quite a good change over the stock 60/55 W.

Thanks for reading!
Regards,
Saket
Hi Saket

Thanks for the comments!! Yes, the old Zen doesn't have many of the features (safety or otherwise) that newer vehicles do, but at the end of the day, it's engine is comparable to the best - and that includes NEWER machines as well! The older Zen is also one of the very few cars that just seems to keep going, irrespective of age/mileage, provided it's maintained well enough (and it doesn't require a lot of maintenance either).

I sold mine off a while ago, but still miss it all the time. . .

Yes - the Rally Bulbs work well, but I wasn't aware they would work correctly without the extra wiring/relay. Wouldn't that cause the existing wiring to burn out (just asking - I'm not an expert on this by an means)?

Thanks for posting the picture - brings back many a good memory!

Cheers

Zenster
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:15   #25
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
Hi Saket

Thanks for the comments!! Yes, the old Zen doesn't have many of the features (safety or otherwise) that newer vehicles do, but at the end of the day, it's engine is comparable to the best - and that includes NEWER machines as well! The older Zen is also one of the very few cars that just seems to keep going, irrespective of age/mileage, provided it's maintained well enough (and it doesn't require a lot of maintenance either).

I sold mine off a while ago, but still miss it all the time. . .

Yes - the Rally Bulbs work well, but I wasn't aware they would work correctly without the extra wiring/relay. Wouldn't that cause the existing wiring to burn out (just asking - I'm not an expert on this by an means)?

Thanks for posting the picture - brings back many a good memory!

Cheers

Zenster
Hello Zenster,

I have been using Rally, as I said since last 2-3 years without any problems. Mine is a 2002 MPFI & the wiring is able to handle the 100/90w just fine.

You are right on the maintenance aspect too. Its light on the pocket and the cost of spares is very reasonable. This has given me the courage to stick with my car for long and I plan to keep it for some more time. Gives me around 16 kmpl in city & 20-22 on the highways!

Have given it some upgrades over the stock like the alloy wheels, michelins, Central/remote locking, blau, etc. which has given it a new lease of life!

BTW, you said you sold your zen a while ago, which car are you driving now? & 'Enjoying' in middle east?

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd February 2013 at 15:16.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 00:04   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hello Zenster,

I have been using Rally, as I said since last 2-3 years without any problems. Mine is a 2002 MPFI & the wiring is able to handle the 100/90w just fine.

You are right on the maintenance aspect too. Its light on the pocket and the cost of spares is very reasonable. This has given me the courage to stick with my car for long and I plan to keep it for some more time. Gives me around 16 kmpl in city & 20-22 on the highways!

Have given it some upgrades over the stock like the alloy wheels, michelins, Central/remote locking, blau, etc. which has given it a new lease of life!

BTW, you said you sold your zen a while ago, which car are you driving now? & 'Enjoying' in middle east?

Regards,
Saket
Unfortunately NO car as of now -- there are reasons behind that, but it's sure NOT an ideal situation, especially considering how much I enjoy driving!

Cheers

Zenster
Zenster99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 11:17   #27
BHPian
 
devrajman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 504
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

This what happened yesterday!

Feels like start of new relationship...
Attached Thumbnails
'99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review-img_20130223_173845.jpg  

'99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review-img_20130223_174106.jpg  

devrajman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 22:42   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Muscat
Posts: 49
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
This what happened yesterday!

Feels like start of new relationship...
Congratulations - here's to a safe and enjoyable next 100000!
Zenster99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 10:02   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
This what happened yesterday!

Feels like start of new relationship...
Fantastic Man! 'Historical' Moment for you & your car. Wish you many such feat in future too. Its a pre-2000 era Zen I guess. Why not now put up a long ownership report for your car...will be great.

Best regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2013, 10:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,192
Thanked: 4,254 Times
Default Re: '99 Maruti Zen - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster99 View Post
NOT an ideal situation, especially considering how much I enjoy driving!

Cheers

Zenster
I can understand.

I was in the same position during my 4 year stint in Delhi! I missed the wheel so much.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Maruti Zen - 5 Years of Blissful Ownership vasanthn21 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 34 25th September 2013 17:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks