Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2012, 21:40   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,104 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Congratulations! The way you've detailed the ownership report and the pics, your love for the car is obvious. Wish you many happy miles with it.

The Octy vRS wasn't a cheap car to maintain in the long run. Would be hooked to your thread to see how the Laura vRS pans out over the years. Keep updating!
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 22:41   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 138
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Welcome to the world of vRS and congratulations for the fantastic choice that you have made. As you spend your time with the vRS, you will start appreciating it even more than 3, C, A4 for it's practically usable performance at relatively affordable costs. vRS are the best performance cars below 40L mark for self driven owners in india.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 10th July 2012 at 22:49.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 22:51   #18
BHPian
 
madnish30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delhi
Posts: 318
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

That's one very hot ride you got! Loved the pictures - the common touch on VW family cars is very evident on this one too!
Congrats, drive safe.
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,035 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Congratulations on the Laura RS. (For some reason Skoda India calls it just RS and not vRS unlike its Euorpean counterparts.) True petrolheads are a rarity these days and cars like the RS are like an oasis in the desert for petrolheads in the country today.

The 1.8 TSI is a real gem and pretty reliable too. But I wish Skoda had gone the full distance and brought the 2.0 TSI for this car with bigger 17" wheels and lowered stance. That would have been something! Of course the car would have lost some of its practicality in the process, but hey nobody is going to buy this car for 'practicality'.

Enjoy the car and drive safe.

PS. Your tyres are begging for wider rims
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:29   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,702
Thanked: 3,893 Times
Default Re: Black panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Congratulations Avinash! Thanks for the review, and the beautiful pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
  • The chunky 3 spoke steering wheel with smaller radii. Gives better grip and looks better than the one in ambition.
  • The black and brushed aluminium finish feels more premium than the beige (personal choice).
In my opinion, that small meaty steering wheel and all black interiors are good enough reasons to choose the vRS over the Ambition trim. I prefer this steering wheel than the 4-spoke ones available on other Skoda cars. Infact, in this case I will say that the steering mounted audio controls are a nice omission

And yes, for me the brushed aluminum trim on the Amibition (and vRS) looks more pleasing than the glossy wood-lining is Elegance and L&K. Different definitions of luxury

Drive safe!
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:55   #21
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 889 Times
Default Re: Black panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Congrats on your new ride! I am sure its a fun to drive, revv happy engine. Hope you crunch lot of kms under your belt. !!!!

Happy mile crunching!!
Thanks , I sure hope to take her for many long drives. Once planned a 320km sunday drive, but she was so brilliant that it ended up being 610km

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Congratulations! The way you've detailed the ownership report and the pics, your love for the car is obvious. Wish you many happy miles with it.

The Octy vRS wasn't a cheap car to maintain in the long run. Would be hooked to your thread to see how the Laura vRS pans out over the years. Keep updating!
Yup, truly in love with the car now. Have read numerous Tsi threads in tbhp before, i believe she wouldn't be that troublesome to maintain. Will keep updating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
Welcome to the world of vRS and congratulations for the fantastic choice that you have made. As you spend your time with the vRS, you will start appreciating it even more than 3, C, A4 for it's practically usable performance at relatively affordable costs. vRS are the best performance cars below 40L mark for self driven owners in india.
Thanks. Yes practicality is a big bonus with the vRS. A Stage1 remap is all it takes to take the fight to bigger german cousins, but still remaining a comfortable family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
That's one very hot ride you got! Loved the pictures - the common touch on VW family cars is very evident on this one too!
Congrats, drive safe.
Thanks, i didn't want to put up a ownership until I got some nice clicks of the car and hence a little late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congratulations on the Laura RS. (For some reason Skoda India calls it just RS and not vRS unlike its Euorpean counterparts.) True petrolheads are a rarity these days and cars like the RS are like an oasis in the desert for petrolheads in the country today.

The 1.8 TSI is a real gem and pretty reliable too. But I wish Skoda had gone the full distance and brought the 2.0 TSI for this car with bigger 17" wheels and lowered stance. That would have been something! Of course the car would have lost some of its practicality in the process, but hey nobody is going to buy this car for 'practicality'.

Enjoy the car and drive safe.

PS. Your tyres are begging for wider rims
Thanks. Yup they mention even in the website as RS. But have vRS badged everywhere on the car. Yup skoda could have gone full distance with the 2.0 litre engine and 17" wheels. But dont think I would've been able to afford it then. This RS is a more practical one i would say. It would give a harsh thud nor would it scrape any speedbreakers and at the same time giving decent thrills. Also the fuel quality issues with 2.0l tsi engine. Better they could have given a remap for the Tsi engine like in the new 2012 A4 producing 170hp and 320Nm.

Indeed i knew when i was upgrading to 225s that the tyres would stick out of the rims like that. Budget couldnt be stretched further for 17" rims, thus had to stick to the stock size. Both yeti and superb have wider rims (7Jx16 instead of 6.5Jx16 in laura). It isn't as bad as seen in the pics and the PS3s have been an excellent choice, silent , grippy and much more feel at the steering than the stock tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Congratulations Avinash! Thanks for the review, and the beautiful pictures.
[/list]In my opinion, that small meaty steering wheel and all black interiors are good enough reasons to choose the vRS over the Ambition trim. I prefer this steering wheel than the 4-spoke ones available on other Skoda cars. Infact, in this case I will say that the steering mounted audio controls are a nice omission

And yes, for me the brushed aluminum trim on the Amibition (and vRS) looks more pleasing than the glossy wood-lining is Elegance and L&K. Different definitions of luxury

Drive safe!
Thanks. Spot on! Black and brushed aluminium feels more luxurious to me too. Good to know that someone else also shares my opinion that the additional kit on vRS is worth the money. Yup the steering would look and do good without steering controls, it's just that changing tracks or doing anything on that full touch unit means one has to take his eyes away from the road. The new Superb ambition also has a three spoke steering i believe, dont know whether it's the same chunky one as in the vRS.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 09:58   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,453
Thanked: 955 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Absolutely.
Wood in a car should please senior citizens, brushed aluminium is just perfect for enthusiasts like us.

And I also agree on the steering - it's not a place for audio controls. I would not like to drive a home theater...


BTW, is the RS steering smaller in size/radius than the regular TSi one? If so, that would be just perfect. I would prefer just a tad smaller steering than what I have on my Feb 2010 TSi.


Congrats Avinash - on a fantastic car.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 10:12   #23
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 889 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Absolutely.
Wood in a car should please senior citizens, brushed aluminium is just perfect for enthusiasts like us.

And I also agree on the steering - it's not a place for audio controls. I would not like to drive a home theater...


BTW, is the RS steering smaller in size/radius than the regular TSi one? If so, that would be just perfect. I would prefer just a tad smaller steering than what I have on my Feb 2010 TSi.


Congrats Avinash - on a fantastic car.
Thanks. Yes i believe the steering is tad smaller and lot more chunkier than the regular 4spoke one.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 10:45   #24
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Congrats on your new acquisition. I really like Black color on Laura.

One suggestion. Please get the chrome outer grill done in black color. You'd be amazed by the change in looks. In my opinion, chrome is a bit out of place for a car of this character. Anyway, your call
WhiteKnight is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:07   #25
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 889 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition. I really like Black color on Laura.

One suggestion. Please get the chrome outer grill done in black color. You'd be amazed by the change in looks. In my opinion, chrome is a bit out of place for a car of this character. Anyway, your call
Thanks. I agree that shiny chrome is a little out of place. I've seen them with black grills. Mostly Pete'd ones. Even the alloys are too shiny and they look better with some brake dust. Was thinking about giving the mirrors and grill that brushed aluminium look, like the ORVMs on the Audi S4.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:12   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,035 Times
Default Re: Black panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Yup skoda could have gone full distance with the 2.0 litre engine and 17" wheels. Better they could have given a remap for the Tsi engine like in the new 2012 A4 producing 170hp and 320Nm.
.
Yeah, expecting the 2.0 TSI for a one off model is wishful thinking . We should be grateful that Skoda has brought the 1.8 TSI to India unlike VW with their 1.4 TSI in the Jetta.

BTW have you tried Speed 97 in your car? I tried it a few times in my TSI . A couple of times the car did feel like it was on steroids but then again after a couple of other tank fills I felt no difference. The thing is that the ECU adapts to the regular 91 octane fuel and takes time to readapt to the high octane fuel for us to feel the incremental benefit. Besides, I don't trust these pumps. With such a huge price gap between regular fuel and the high octane one, they have a lot of incentive to mix regular fuel with it.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:22   #27
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 319
Thanked: 889 Times
Default Re: Black panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
BTW have you tried Speed 97 in your car? I tried it a few times in my TSI . A couple of times the car did feel like it was on steroids but then again after a couple of other tank fills I felt no difference. The thing is that the ECU adapts to the regular 91 octane fuel and takes time to readapt to the high octane fuel for us to feel the incremental benefit. Besides, I don't trust these pumps. With such a huge price gap between regular fuel and the high octane one, they have a lot of incentive to mix regular fuel with it.
No I'vent tried speed97. I wanted to but it isn't available anywhere near to my place. Nearest would be Bangalore I bet. I tried for speed93, but think they don't supply it anymore. True it's hard to trust these pumps when you're paying a heavy premium over the regular fuel. Look for company owned and operated petrol pumps. There's a similiar BP pump nearby my place but they dont stock speed97 and when i asked they were like 97what??
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 11:49   #28
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Hey Avinash thanks for the lovely pictures and the write up and off course many congratulations for the new acquisition. No wonders its one hell of a car and you must be enjoying her to the hilt!
Keep us updated with the Ownership!
ashish22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 12:05   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
ecenandu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Guruvayoor/Chen
Posts: 1,025
Thanked: 1,478 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Nice and crisp review . Wishing you a lot of happy miles with her.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 12:12   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Black Panther - Skoda Laura vRS

Congrats and great review. About time you put it up. I wish I had got those PS3s when I got my car, but at 11k a tire and with me not using the car so much it didn't make sense. Does the car still wheelspin if you put your foot down in first gear?

True about the steering controls, that and bluetooth is missed.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Panther Black Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI Pictures - The Good, The Bad & The Ugly nura Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 43 25th February 2013 12:47
WHOAAA!! Went Fida - Ford Fiesta 1.6S Panther Black ABZ Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 68 13th December 2009 11:04
Isuzu Panther (Chevrolet Panther) gets a makeover v12 The International Automotive Scene 3 3rd November 2004 15:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks