Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 15th January 2015, 17:07   #271
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

To add to what @saadat mentioned about the single wiper. These are the other advantages it has.
  • It doesn't leave a half wipe mark after every wipe.
  • The wipe coverage is huge ( due to its dual arm design which changes angle as it wipes )
  • The maintenance cost is very low. Toyota has provided the option to just change the wiper blade rubber instead of the whole wiper blade. This along with the fact that you just need to change one number instead of 2 makes the maintenance cost ultra cheap as is the case with most Toyota spares.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 20:33   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I have Grand i10 diesel, Magna variant purchased in Feb 2014. The FE is not good it seems and neither does it offer driveability nor strong performance. I am thinking of getting Liva diesel now. The GD variant now has 2 airbags, ABS, tilt adjustable steering and height adjustable driver's seat. This would cost me less than Rs. 7 lakh. The Korean horses certainly are not as strong as Japanese ones and Liva is certainly faster with better driveability than Grand i10 diesel. I need to first know my mother's opinion ( already the EMI is ON for Grand i10 ), dad though has agreed. Infact, back in Feb 2014 when I had TDed Liva, dad wanted to pay the booking amount for Liva on the spot. Liva had ABS and was available for Rs. 6.7 lakh. As of now, the similar model costs 6.8, had additional features. The only missing things : Fog lamps and manual ( internally ) adjustment for ORVM.
If I were in your position, then my choice would be Fiat GP MJD or VW Polo TDI
because all things said and done the first one is a through and through drivers car and you will enjoy every moment with it and the second one has excellent straight line stability and poise and 1.5 TDI engine is best in class.

Now coming to the Liva, if highway drivability is the criteria then it does excel because I have seen lot of Liva's being driven rashly and they do really deliver power to the driver. My only doubts are regarding it's fragility in case of an accident. Would not like to get involved in one in a Liva, I am afraid it is in same boat as the lower varients of the Swift. Also the interiors are a tad bit disappointing here. It has a central instrument console, in this day and age.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2015, 21:30   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
saadat1992, the thread is nice to know a car which was rejected by me just for central speedometer and NVH.
Would the benefits be worth the amount of money you would need to pump into this upgrade? Efficiency increment won't be much, and performance won't be a big differentiator either. Atleast not for the incremental money spent over a Grand i10.

Why don't you hold on to the car for some more time and get a proper upgrade? Like the Elite i20 / Suzuki YBA/ Honda Jazz etc?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 01:25   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Would the benefits be worth the amount of money you would need to pump into this upgrade? Efficiency increment won't be much, and performance won't be a big differentiator either. Atleast not for the incremental money spent over a Grand i10.

Why don't you hold on to the car for some more time and get a proper upgrade? Like the Elite i20 / Suzuki YBA/ Honda Jazz etc?
Well, the premium you pay for this is mainly because it's a Toyota and it won't breakdown in the middle of nowhere nor will it leave a hole in your wallet after a service. I opted for the Liva even though I had an option of buying the i20 Diesel with an extra 30k because I had spent so much on my Santro's service and maintenance even though it was handled with care. Changed the clutch twice within 42k kms in it and the avg bill amount for servicing it was around 5k with many components failing randomly. I didn't want that anymore, so I opted for the Liva, trusting Brand Toyota and I'm glad to say it hasn't disappointed me. In fact, I'm happy to have this. Yes,it does have a lot of cons but its not as bad as people think. Only the people owning it know about this gem of a car
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:16   #275
Senior - BHPian

Post re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
My only doubts are regarding it's fragility in case of an accident. Would not like to get involved in one in a Liva, I am afraid it is in same boat as the lower varients of the Swift. Also the interiors are a tad bit disappointing here. It has a central instrument console, in this day and age.
Liva scored a 4 star in Latin NCAP crash test. And every Toyota vehicle today is equipped with an airbag ( whichever the variant might be ). It's not the sheet metal thickness that decides the safety of a vehicle. It's more to do with how well it's designed and how much shock the front part absorbs. Crumbling properly is what saves the passenger. A rigid tank which doesn't crumble will kill you in case of an impact due to the shock experienced by our internal organs. Liva's safety is more than adequate in the segment it competes with.

Agreed that interior looks are not good as the competition. But, at the same time utility wise it's much better than the competition.

Whether it's the placements of the AC vents which doesn't discomfort the driver's hand.
Whether it's the low center hump which makes the 5th passenger sit comfortably on the rear seat or
whether it's the long range seat height adjustment ( you wouldn't see such a range on any other vehicles in this segment ) or
whether you look at the space and ergonomics of the deign

Quote:
Selling and buying would be a loss. I agree with @crazy driver. I would recommend that you wait till 2016. Toyota is supposed to come up with a model to compete with Honda City. There should be a hatchback variant as well. And if you feel so bad about the center console, the 2016 Liva will not be having a center console.

Regardless, the center console is more easier to look at due to the lesser angular difference from the road view. And, it doesn't obstruct the speedometer view, even after you adjust the steering tilt. In a Fiesta for example, I adjust the steering tilt so that I get a good view of the speedo. In my Etios, I adjust it so that I get the best comfortable position because it in no way obstructs the view of the speedo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Well, the premium you pay for this is mainly because it's a Toyota and it won't breakdown in the middle of nowhere nor will it leave a hole in your wallet after a service. I opted for the Liva even though I had an option of buying the i20 Diesel with an extra 30k because I had spent so much on my Santro's service and maintenance even though it was handled with care. Changed the clutch twice within 42k kms in it and the avg bill amount for servicing it was around 5k with many components failing randomly. I didn't want that anymore, so I opted for the Liva, trusting Brand Toyota and I'm glad to say it hasn't disappointed me. In fact, I'm happy to have this. Yes,it does have a lot of cons but its not as bad as people think. Only the people owning it know about this gem of a car
+1. It's such a great car to own. If you are someone who keeps a car for 10 to 15 years, put your money on a Toyota and you will never regret that decision. If it's just 3 4 years and sell cycle, maybe more fancier cars are also fine.

Last edited by amalji : 16th January 2015 at 12:21.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:22   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Liva scored a 4 star in Latin NCAP crash test. And every Toyota vehicle today is equipped with an airbag ( whichever the variant might be ).
I remember an old thread.

In a Liva, you need to collide properly for airbag to open. Did you know that ?

https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351

Quote:
When my boss, Mr. Anil Nair bashed his Toyota Ethios car head-on at the Ernakulam-Alleppey highway, he suffered injuries and his co-passenger was hospitalized for 2 weeks.
When he informed hisToyota dealer that Airbags did not deploy, their reply was, “It’s because you did not collide properly”. !!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-accident.html (Toyota Etios airbags not deployed on accident)
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:26   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes,it does have a lot of cons but its not as bad as people think. Only the people owning it know about this gem of a car
You got me wrong buddy. I dont mean to say that Liva is not value for money compared to a Grand i10. My point is that for him to sell his almost new Grand i10 (and lose money there) and again pay the OTR price for a Liva (I am assuming a ball park figure of 2 - 2.5L over the selling price of Grand i10) might not be worth - for the small difference in FE and performance he is aiming for.

With diesel pricing and FE, even if he gets a 5 kmpl difference- it would take years to recover the difference. And the performance of the Liva is better with minimal lag - but is it 2.5L worth better than a Grand i10?

Since he has already bought the Grand, I suggest to live with it for a longer period - till he can get something that feels like a true upgrade.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2015, 12:30   #278
Senior - BHPian

Post re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
I remember an old thread.

In a Liva, you need to collide properly for airbag to open. Did you know that ?

https://www.facebook.com/Ajit.Menon2...04710521175351

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-accident.html (Toyota Etios airbags not deployed on accident)
I have closely researched on what exactly happened and i had posted on that as well. Unfortunately, since the original thread was closed ( due to lack of validation or full information by GTO ) I had to post it on the Toyota Etios' main thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3587633 (Toyota Etios : Test Drive & Review)

Quoting that post again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Talked with service team lead of Nippon Toyota, Kalamassery. These are his inputs.
  • The passenger was not wearing seatbelt and banged his head on the glass. You can see the mark on the glass if you look at the photo he himself posted. The driver was wearing a seatbelt and hence he was unhurt (inspite of sitting closer to the steering)
  • This was not an accident which needed an airbag to save the passenger. Airbag expanding algorithm is carefully designed only to come out when really needed.
  • One important factor that triggers the airbags is the amount of deceleration. By just hitting against something head on doesn't necessarily trigger the airbags. In this particular case, it was not that high and hence airbags were not needed.
  • Airbags without the use of seatbelt is useless.
You have to keep in mind that airbags themselves can cause injuries to facial bones. So, using it without properly needing it is counter productive as well as adds cost. SRS means Supplemental Restraint System which means it just supplements the function of a seatbelt. Seatbelt is what saves you on most accidents. Airbags helps in major accidents where the deceleration force is so high that your neck could break. The accident mentioned here didn't have any such characteristics.

Last edited by amalji : 16th January 2015 at 12:54.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 09:45   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Aaggoswami!
The Liva is a gem of a car once you start living with...
Thanks for the Inputs saadat1992, the points put forward do help in taking a rational decision.

Quote:
If I were in your position, then my choice would be Fiat GP MJD or VW Polo TDI
because all things said and done the first one is a through and through drivers car and you will enjoy every moment with it and the second one has excellent straight line stability and poise and 1.5 TDI engine is best in class.

Now coming to the Liva, if highway drivability is the criteria then it does excel because I have seen lot of Liva's being driven rashly and they do really deliver power to the driver. My only doubts are regarding it's fragility in case of an accident. Would not like to get involved in one in a Liva, I am afraid it is in same boat as the lower varients of the Swift. Also the interiors are a tad bit disappointing here. It has a central instrument console, in this day and age.
Fiat Punto was considered by me in Feb'14, but did not purchase it due to Dealer experience and lack of after sales and service. The Dealer experience varies a lot, recently my friend wanted Punto, after TD and dealer experience, its out of equation. VW Polo is nice, but costs a bit more, though the new Swift pricing makes me feel VW and Toyota ( even Figo for that matter ) small cars are VFM!

Central instrument console is biggest drawback. Yesterday, did talk with my father and he said most of focus must be on road, not on meters given the ridiculous traffic sense and ample number of 2 wheelers changing lanes abruptly. Basically, my father says Liva is better than my current car. I would be visiting Toyota dealer today.

Quote:

Very nice point! What you have mentioned is fact, but for around 50K more, I am getting Liva with dual airbags and ABS, which happens to be biggest factor for change. Grand i10 can lock wheels immediately during emergency braking ( experienced this first hand during Makarsankranti ). Elite, again has poor seats ( my lower back pain is a ready indicator if seats are good or bad ! ). Will wait out for YBA.

Lets see what deal Toyota Dealer gives.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:23   #280
BHPian

Quote:
saadat1992, the thread is nice to know a car which was rejected by me just for central speedometer and NVH.

I have Grand i10 diesel, Magna variant purchased in Feb 2014. The FE is not good it seems and neither does it offer driveability nor strong performance. I am thinking of getting Liva diesel now. The GD variant now has 2 airbags, ABS, tilt adjustable steering and height adjustable driver's seat. This would cost me less than Rs. 7 lakh. The Korean horses certainly are not as strong as Japanese ones and Liva is certainly faster with better driveability than Grand i10 diesel. I need to first know my mother's opinion ( already the EMI is ON for Grand i10 ), dad though has agreed. Infact, back in Feb 2014 when I had TDed Liva, dad wanted to pay the booking amount for Liva on the spot. Liva had ABS and was available for Rs. 6.7 lakh. As of now, the similar model costs 6.8, had additional features. The only missing things : Fog lamps and manual ( internally ) adjustment for ORVM.

I have a few queries :

How is the single wiper ? Is it good enough for occasional strong rains ?
Headlight performance ?
High speed cruising : Engine suitability and handling ?

The above are parameters which would lead me to make or break decision. Headlight beam pattern in Grand i10 is such that I am always missing out on road right side obstacles. High speed cruising on Grand i10 is OK, but eats into FE, straight line stability good, but any directional change is not that good. I expected Grand i10 to perform better as its relatively low slung, but somehow I am not satisfied. I am still optimistic for diesel as the overall efficiency of Liva is likely to be superior to my 1.1 which is good for Santro/i10, but struggles in grand i10.
The Liva is a no nonsense hatchback, simply put. Why not check the Cross out too? It has a great all black interior layout and slightly better looking than the Liva. The best bits I like about the car despite the odd speedo placement, lousy NVH levels, the not-closing-on-first-try-thin-doors etc is the neutral ride, if not plush, the 15" rims really help and best bit I can up size to 195 sections without a problem, the after sales and decently priced spare parts. A good part of the speedo not being in the front is it has taught me when to upshift and downshift by just hearing the revs. Also have learnt which speeds I am doing without looking at the speedo, which is kinda intuitive. The beam can be improved by upgrading to 100/90 Rally bulbs from any brand(I have Philips) and same with the horn. In my case the wiper went kaput after a few months(heavy heavy Mumbai rains!) and will get it replaced in warranty. The AC is fantastic, and most of the times folks tell me to cut it down OR they close the vents themselves and mixed city-highway driving I get 15kpl which is awesome!

Go for the top end VD(which I have) or the Cross, get the Smiles package, put some slick rubber and you are set. Reminds me of the line, fill it..shut it..forget it!
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 21:33   #281
BHPian

Update:
It has been a while since I updated the thread. Was held up with other stuff.
The car is now at 32,200kms .
No issues so far, mileage has increased a bit. It really is a no nonsense hatchback!

The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update-1425312161787.jpg
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 20:45   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Update:
It has been a while since I updated the thread. Was held up with other stuff.
The car is now at 32,200kms .
No issues so far, mileage has increased a bit. It really is a no nonsense hatchback!
Hi Saadat,

How are the rattles ? I'm facing rattle issues especially from the rear. Have any similar issues ?
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 22:30   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hi Saadat,

How are the rattles ? I'm facing rattle issues especially from the rear. Have any similar issues ?
Hi Anand,
There are minor rattles in the rear when you go over potholed stretches or bad roads.
The rattle is from the C pillar.
Also, when I go over speed bumps at speeds, I hear the toolkit & the spare wheel jumping along :P
Spare wheel is screwed down ,but still I hear it jump when I take bumps at speeds.
Old 9th March 2015, 23:13   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anand,
There are minor rattles in the rear when you go over potholed stretches or bad roads.
The rattle is from the C pillar.
Also, when I go over speed bumps at speeds, I hear the toolkit & the spare wheel jumping along :P
Spare wheel is screwed down ,but still I hear it jump when I take bumps at speeds.
Hmm, I need to check those C Pillars. I have Padded the tool kit and the spare wheel. Like you said some noises come from the C Pillar, and after seat cover install, the Lower bench is making noise too. ASC diagnosed and asked me to change the rear Suspension

Also, do you have rear speakers installed ? did you use a wooden plank ? or used boxes in the boot ? Lazy me cut the plastic Parcel tray and fit the speakers in them, they keep bouncing around with the weight.
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2015, 23:33   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hmm, I need to check those C Pillars. I have Padded the tool kit and the spare wheel. Like you said some noises come from the C Pillar, and after seat cover install, the Lower bench is making noise too. ASC diagnosed and asked me to change the rear Suspension

Also, do you have rear speakers installed ? did you use a wooden plank ? or used boxes in the boot ? Lazy me cut the plastic Parcel tray and fit the speakers in them, they keep bouncing around with the weight.
Wow. They asked you to change the suspension? Strange! How old is your car?
Mine turns 3 this July & has no issues of that sort.

And, no! I haven't Installed rear speakers. Its usually only me or at Max 2 people in the car , 4 people onboard is occasional like some outstation trips, as a result of which I didn't bother to install rear speakers. Do check the the parcel tray, try removing it & go for a test drive.
That tray makes noise even if it doesn't seat properly in its place.