Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2015, 23:48   #286
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Hmm, I need to check those C Pillars. I have Padded the tool kit and the spare wheel. Like you said some noises come from the C Pillar, and after seat cover install, the Lower bench is making noise too. ASC diagnosed and asked me to change the rear Suspension

Also, do you have rear speakers installed ? did you use a wooden plank ? or used boxes in the boot ? Lazy me cut the plastic Parcel tray and fit the speakers in them, they keep bouncing around with the weight.
The original parecl tray is no good. Used that, changed over to wooden aftermarket wooden plank available. Even that is not a perfect fit.
There is a sound from the boot lock area. :(
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 00:01   #287
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 233
Thanked: 257 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
The original parecl tray is no good. Used that, changed over to wooden aftermarket wooden plank available. Even that is not a perfect fit.
There is a sound from the boot lock area. :(
Yup, I saw the wooden planks, they look sad and dont fit well, thats the reason I decided to cut the originals. I have to try and make them stay put, will figure out something this weekend.

And yea, me too used to hear the same clinking sound fro the boot lock area, but amazingly that sound has disapeared now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Wow. They asked you to change the suspension? Strange! How old is your car?
Mine turns 3 this July & has no issues of that sort.

And, no! I haven't Installed rear speakers. Its usually only me or at Max 2 people in the car , 4 people onboard is occasional like some outstation trips, as a result of which I didn't bother to install rear speakers. Do check the the parcel tray, try removing it & go for a test drive.
That tray makes noise even if it doesn't seat properly in its place.
My car is 3 years and 36K kms old. Yup, they recommended Rear suspension replacement for next service. I have had sad experiences with the Toyota Service, Nandi and Ravindu! Their regular service folks dont know anything! They just follow a list of procedures for service. Will post an elaborate post on my nightmare with Nandi Toyota!

Will fiddle with Parcel shelf. I have to remove the shelf and all the loose Items in the car and check where the squeaks originate from

Having said that, I drove an Ertiga which had clocked 60K kms couple of days back. In simple words, I jumped back into my Liva and kissed it. I used to hate the Liva for its flimsy build, but in reality its a robust car with flimsy sheet metal.
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 00:12   #288
BHPian
 
subratasenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 375
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
My car is 3 years and 36K kms old. Yup, they recommended Rear suspension replacement for next service. I have had sad experiences with the Toyota Service, Nandi and Ravindu! Their regular service folks dont know anything! They just follow a list of procedures for service. Will post an elaborate post on my nightmare with Nandi Toyota!

Will fiddle with Parcel shelf. I have to remove the shelf and all the loose Items in the car and check where the squeaks originate from

Having said that, I drove an Ertiga which had clocked 60K kms couple of days back. In simple words, I jumped back into my Liva and kissed it. I used to hate the Liva for its flimsy build, but in reality its a robust car with flimsy sheet metal.
Strange. My car is 2 and half years old, 40K. Just did my 40K service last week. There was a slight sound from the boot area, which was finally identified as coming from the aftermarket speaker tray. But no complaint with suspension. Frankly, my car still has about 4 mm brake pad and my tyres should be okay for another 5K km, if not more.

And yes, this "flimsy" sheet metal and "cheap" plastic have served me well so far. Not even a single rattle from anywhere, the car drives like new.

Liva/Etios is an underrated car. I know this, because I too have used other cars which are grossly overrated!

Last edited by subratasenn : 10th March 2015 at 00:15.
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 00:36   #289
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 233
Thanked: 257 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
Strange. My car is 2 and half years old, 40K. Just did my 40K service last week. There was a slight sound from the boot area, which was finally identified as coming from the aftermarket speaker tray. But no complaint with suspension. Frankly, my car still has about 4 mm brake pad and my tyres should be okay for another 5K km, if not more.

And yes, this "flimsy" sheet metal and "cheap" plastic have served me well so far. Not even a single rattle from anywhere, the car drives like new.

Liva/Etios is an underrated car. I know this, because I too have used other cars which are grossly overrated!
Same here, I am on stock brake pads, and stock tires which seem to have enough tread for another 10-15k kms. The rattles are only on badly broken roads. Will tinker with the rear and check where they originate from.
anand.shankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2015, 01:12   #290
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 594
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
Same here, I am on stock brake pads, and stock tires which seem to have enough tread for another 10-15k kms. The rattles are only on badly broken roads. Will tinker with the rear and check where they originate from.
I haven't replaced mine either! They are still the same ones I got with the car & the bite of the brakes are still as good as new after my enthusiastic driving

The only part I dont like is that, it doesn't dart like the Swift diesel! You dont get that adrenaline rush when u punch the accelerator in first gear :(
That's the only thing I envy of the swift.
But high speed manners, pulling power beyond 100kmph, Liva wins hands down.

Off topic: You posted recently on the Bandipur - Ooty query in HVK's Facebook page? I saw the name & your PIC and got to know it was you :P
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 16:50   #291
BHPian
 
driving_smartly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 211 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand.shankar View Post
the Lower bench is making noise too. ASC diagnosed and asked me to change the rear Suspension
anand.shankar

I had issues with rear suspension of My Nov 2013 manufactured Liva. The following things were carried out and replaced under warranty.
  1. REAR BOTH SHOCK UP REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY - FOR REDUCING THUD NOISE
  2. REAR BRAKE LINER SPRING KIT REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY FOR GRR GRR NOISE (They found some minor issue that could have been managed by cleaning, but they preferred to replace it under warranty)
  3. LOWER ARM BUSH WAS CUT MARGINALLY FOR REDUCING THUD NOISE

More details in my thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...lusive-me.html post no 14
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 19:27   #292
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 394
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I haven't replaced mine either! They are still the same ones I got with the car & the bite of the brakes are still as good as new after my enthusiastic driving

The only part I dont like is that, it doesn't dart like the Swift diesel! You dont get that adrenaline rush when u punch the accelerator in first gear :(
That's the only thing I envy of the swift.
But high speed manners, pulling power beyond 100kmph, Liva wins hands down.

Off topic: You posted recently on the Bandipur - Ooty query in HVK's Facebook page? I saw the name & your PIC and got to know it was you :P
The darting part is what I hate about Italian MJDs. Yes they pull like crazy BUT in city driving you've to bear the brunt of the terrible turbo lag. It's shit crazy and I prefer the linear curve of the Japanese diesels here. Apart from the fact the Swifts un-sorted suspension makes matters worse along with it's terrible rear leg space and cramped boot.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2015, 19:39   #293
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 594
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
The darting part is what I hate about Italian MJDs. Yes they pull like crazy BUT in city driving you've to bear the brunt of the terrible turbo lag. It's crazy and I prefer the linear curve of the Japanese diesels here. Apart from the fact the Swifts un-sorted suspension makes matters worse along with it's terrible rear leg space and cramped boot.
Bro, I was being unbiased. But Im really fond of that shove you get in the swift! I need to think twice before I red line the Liva, but I dont give a second thought on doing that with the Dzire(that might be cos its my friend's? :P ) .

The unsorted suspension is something I'd agree, its very unpredictable on the highways compared to Liva. Ride is better at low speeds than the Liva though. Mine makes a big thud if I crash into potholes.

Also the turbolag in Dzire/Swift is kinda annoying after driving the Liva. Wish Toyota had made the D-4D punchier. But , Toyota are known for extracting very little power from bigger engines so that there's minimal stress & maximum life
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 00:05   #294
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 394
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Bro, I was being unbiased. But Im really fond of that shove you get in the swift! I need to think twice before I red line the Liva, but I dont give a second thought on doing that with the Dzire(that might be cos its my friend's? :P ) .

The unsorted suspension is something I'd agree, its very unpredictable on the highways compared to Liva. Ride is better at low speeds than the Liva though. Mine makes a big thud if I crash into potholes.

Also the turbolag in Dzire/Swift is kinda annoying after driving the Liva. Wish Toyota had made the D-4D punchier. But , Toyota are known for extracting very little power from bigger engines so that there's minimal stress & maximum life
When did I take sides? It's just that the MJD feels far superior in the Punto then on the Swift. Having driven both the new Swift & Liva, I honestly feel the low speed drive quality is the same, if not a touch better in the Liva. Have a look at their weights, that is also a factor. The segment benchmark is the Punto, still yet, hands down. But in diesels if there's anything with excellent drive-ability it is the Honda i-dtec. Takes the cake from all. What a gem of a motor that!

For the thuds, switch over to better tyres and then see.

Last edited by coolmel : 16th March 2015 at 00:07.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 00:21   #295
BHPian
 
saadat1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chennai (TN-10)
Posts: 594
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
When did I take sides? It's just that the MJD feels far superior in the Punto then on the Swift. Having driven both the new Swift & Liva, I honestly feel the low speed drive quality is the same, if not a touch better in the Liva. Have a look at their weights, that is also a factor. The segment benchmark is the Punto, still yet, hands down. But in diesels if there's anything with excellent drive-ability it is the Honda i-dtec. Takes the cake from all. What a gem of a motor that!

For the thuds, switch over to better tyres and then see.
I drove my friend's Punto 90 & there was a whole new meaning to the word turbo-lag.
Haven't driven it on the highways though.
Haven't had a chance to drive the i-dtec. Mine is almost 3 years old & I'd blame it on the suspension set up Toyota had back then. They even replaced the front suspension as a part of their call back for the spring recoil noise issue. It became stiffer after that.

I also noticed that it feels much better right after a service, as days pass by, the suspension thud comes back.
saadat1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2015, 17:34   #296
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 394
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
I drove my friend's Punto 90 & there was a whole new meaning to the word turbo-lag.
Haven't driven it on the highways though.
Haven't had a chance to drive the i-dtec. Mine is almost 3 years old & I'd blame it on the suspension set up Toyota had back then. They even replaced the front suspension as a part of their call back for the spring recoil noise issue. It became stiffer after that.

I also noticed that it feels much better right after a service, as days pass by, the suspension thud comes back.
Again, it all depends on how we drive our vehicles. Spirited or not. I do remember you changed your suspension to the new ones, right? Try getting some better tyres. Also sometimes I feel the Swift is a terribly over rated car. The Dzire has a terrible rear design! Am happy with the Liva. But yes do try the Dtec, your definition of driving a diesel will change. It's a paradigm shift in diesel tech.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2015, 22:23   #297
BHPian
 
anand.shankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 233
Thanked: 257 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Guys, spent sometime fidgeting around with the car last weekend. Found out one of reasons for rattling noises from the rear. While installing the seat covers the Center seat belt was pushed in between the seats and was resting on metal at the base of the seat. This had just enough room to bounce around and make a racket! Now need to find a solution for the rear parcel tray that keeps bouncing around due to the added weights of speakers.

Apart from that, we are also looking for an upgrade and were considering the Ertiga, Mobilio, and the Elite 120. Mobilio was dumped due to its insane pricing. Me and my wife tested the Ertiga and the Elite I20, here is what we felt:

Ertiga - Awesome space packaging. Engines are OK. Compared to the Liva body roll is on the higher side. The test drive car was 2 yrs and about 25K kms old, but the plastics felt battered, switchgear was getting stuck felt lousy. I am sure the car was abused, but I felt the Plastics and stalks in the Liva though cheap looking are sturdy and will last the distance better than the ones in the Maruti. Good discounts on the ZDI variant makes it a excellent VFM over the Mobilio.

Elite i20 - Everyone knows about this car,nothing much to say. Exteriors and Interiors are worth drooling for. Is not as spacious as the Liva, but an immense sense of security when seated inside. Interiors look luxurious and rich. Loaded with features. But hold on a second, is that steering unit from a go-cart ? The steering response was enough for me to scamper out of it, there is no way I would feel happy driving it. At highway speeds, I am sure we would need to constantly keep correcting the line of the car, which by the happens to some extent in the Liva too. Apart from that, the brakes don't feel the as reassuring as the ones on the Liva, I may be wrong here though. A lil pricey @ 9.8L for the top end Diesel which is a cracker of an engine, the Petrol engine isn't worth spending 8.4Lacs on.

We also tested a car that wasn't on the List. The Zest XMA Diesel, and now its available in the XTA version as well. The car is just awesome! the AMT doesn't feel slick though, and you can feel the car shift gears, but the passengers dint feel anything. The part that surprised me was the Manual mode, its so stress free. We only need to up shift, and as speed decreases the downshifts happens automatically. This mode felt real smooth. But close to 10L on road for the XTA Quadrajet, but still feels VFM.

Verdict after tests : Me and my wife felt our Liva is still competent and comfortable and did not need an upgrade for now.

Last edited by anand.shankar : 19th March 2015 at 22:30.
anand.shankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 13:26   #298
BHPian
 
coolmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 394
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Query time. Why is it that the Liva never emits the black soot from the exhaust? What kind of mechanical changes are done to this Diesel engine to prevent this? Have noticed the same in the Honda i-dtec.
coolmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 13:33   #299
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Friends, noticed a problem in my Liva yesterday. I had taken out my car on 14th of this month for a 45km drive in the city. After that it was lying in the apartment parking since I was out of station. Now yesterday I started the car, turned on the blower and switched on the AC. Nothing happens, no cooling. The AC switch light is glowing but no cooling. What could be the reason? Please help before I take it to service centre.
rajivr1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2015, 12:04   #300
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 246 Times
Default re: The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Friends, noticed a problem in my Liva yesterday. I had taken out my car on 14th of this month for a 45km drive in the city. After that it was lying in the apartment parking since I was out of station. Now yesterday I started the car, turned on the blower and switched on the AC. Nothing happens, no cooling. The AC switch light is glowing but no cooling. What could be the reason? Please help before I take it to service centre.
Update:- took the car to Harsha Toyota. Was a case of rat chewing off the wire to AC compressor. Repaired free of cost. This is the first rat incident in my car. Now got to religiously go through the Rats thread to find some solution to this mess.
rajivr1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White meets Black, it's Toyota Liva GD Xclusive for me. EDIT: 30,000 km update driving_smartly Long-Term Ownership Reviews 27 10th August 2016 23:30
The Black Knight: Toyota Etios Liva G Inquisitive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 29th August 2015 16:18
Living Tmrrw 2Day - Toyota Etios Liva G - SP Vermilion Red - 10,000 kms nkrishnap Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 184 25th June 2015 18:41
White Knight: Toyota Etios VD 1.4L Diesel. Long Term Review @ 33,000 kms AshBabu Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 6 8th December 2014 21:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks