Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 23rd February 2013, 13:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade

ODO: 8300 KMs

I am happy to report that all squeaky noises from the belts and suspension is gone. The guys at dealership seem to have done a good job at fixing these finally.

I am still enjoying that great sound of redlining. The engine is very Rev happy for an 8V SOHC engine.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 09:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade

Looks like my thread isn't much popular with Bhp-ians. 63 Bhp a little less for the Team?

ODO-9350 Kms

The Spark is now also regularly driven by some of my Father's employees and thus has acquired more than a couple of small dings. These would have been heartbreaking on a larger car, but on the Spark it doesn't bother him at all, so now it is officially a Beater car!

Few things that I have notices recently is that
-The Front doors close with a Solid thud similar to expensive cars
-but the Rear doors if banged hard give the familiar tinny sound.
-Putting my mobile phone on a speaker in the 1-DIN tray makes for an exceptionally Loud Music System. I set it at 80% and my dad asked me to turn it down
- Stitching of the seat covers of the rear seats' squab have come off in the middle. I guess 2K Seat covers can only get you so far.
-Beige is big, but soiled very easily. I guess new seat covers would be necessary in about 6 months
The Search for the Compact SUV is still on(& possibly till Mid-June when you-know- what arrives)
Old 30th April 2013, 10:31   #18
BHPian

keep Updating mate, just because no one writes in, doesn't mean it no one's reading your posts.
I am sure this thread, would be helpful when someone would be in the process of buying a GM car.

Thanks and all the best for more miles of smiles with your sparky.

Last edited by neofromcapone : 30th April 2013 at 10:32. Reason: typo
neofromcapone is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2013, 12:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Looks like my thread isn't much popular with Bhp-ians. 63 Bhp a little less for the Team?
As a fellow Spark owner, I am following your thread from the start. Keep writing. I had nothing specific to write.
My Sprak is scheduled to go for 75K servicing. So far no major problem. So be assured that you have made a right choice.
radek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2013, 22:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Ok, So now the ODO has crept up to almost 11K Kms

Visited the Dealership today for the second paid service. It is very difficult to actually keep track of services in the Time/Mileage format. Clearly I don't need to be vising the dealership after every 6 months when I cover less than 3K Kms in that time period.

Problems that had crept up, and needed to be fixed:
-One of the doors didn't operate with the central locking
-The RHS indicators don't respond with the Remote locking system
-Wiper Blades needed to be replaced(after all, its about 2.5 year old car)
-That Screeching noise had made a come back
-The Left Headlamp, High beam had conked off, just the bulb needed to be replaced(could've been easily done at home as well). Interesting, because just a month ago, the Right headlamp developed the same problem, I did replace it from the parts supplied from the start
- A mud flap had come off(I had the part, just wanted them to fix it again)

So, Talking with the Service Advisor, he tells about the need to change the Engine Oil, nearly every filter in there(air, Oil, Fuel...), and the Engine Flush, Injector cleaning and all that nonsense as well. The last two things are nothing you should give a damn about because it is some"chemical" that seems to magically clean it, I am not buying it cause' there is no mention of it in the service booklet.

I ask for an Estimate, and after declining the two useless jobs, I get an estimate of 3500+tax.(the SA told it could come around 4200-4500). I was a little taken abck, cause it was a routine service, but the Engine oil alone seemed to cost Rs 1300/-

Anyways, I asked them to expedite the job. Interestingly, My dad gave me about Rs 2.5K to take care of the service, Now I needed to get another 2K. I didn't have my ATM card on me, so one of my Father's employees who had gone with me to the service center had to go find an ATM and get the cash.

Well, we entered the dealership at 10:30 AM and left at 3:30 PM.

Since, the Central locking and remote is actually an accessory from another company and the fact that I still have warranty on it, I would have to call them up separately to expedite the job. Nothing was done about that at the dealership.

I go up to the car, they took it out for a TD, they couldn't reproduce the noise. The Flap hadn't been fixed, the locking system problems were as it is(I was told about its separate warranty later). Wasn't very happy with it

The Required parts were replaced, got to know that the Front Disc pads would need to be replaced at after about 4K kms. Not only did I not have the extra cash to spare at that time, I am pretty sure the next visit to the service centre will be within the next 4-5K Kms(thanks to the low running of the car).

So after a lot of hustle, everything is done, but what about that Noise. One of the senior advisors tells me that the noise is a regular feature on every chevy from Spark to Cruze. Indeed, another Spark exhibited the same, he did agree to grease the alternator belt and if that doesn't fix it, the belt would need to be replaced.

Now for the Funny bit.The Estimate given to me for the whole job was about 4.5 K bucks. I was ready with it. The Bill came out to be ,wait for it.........just Rs 2,680/-

I was like WHAT? I mean , what the heck is an estimate for? The Estimates given to me were almost double of the actual cost of the job. Eg: the Engine oil change only cost Rs 650?-(just half of the estimated RS 1,300).
Now keep in mind, had I actually known this, I would have asked them to replaced the disc pads and probably even replace the belt for the peace of mind. The SA, was a bit taken aback, told me that I should be happy since, I have to pay less than the estimate. When asked for a reason, he said the rates of the parts fluctuate from time to time, its online. Nonsence. How does Engine oil halve in value between Morning and Afternoon.

Well, The Dealership has done a reasonably good job of fixing those little problems at a reasonable cost.(Still, looking out for that screeching noise though!). But They should've given a reasonably good estimate as well. Seriously, I was actually taken aback by the thought of having to pay nearly 5K for the service of an Entry-Level Hatch.

P.S.- The Customer lounge was O.K. No Internet, but the usual TV, AC etc. But I did find One good things, they had Subscriptions to both Autocar, Overdrive, so a very very good time pass option while your car is getting operated!!

Last edited by agambhandari : 12th July 2013 at 22:59.
Old 13th July 2013, 12:23   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Agam,

Nice to know about the service of your car. Though, pleasantly surprising, but even I have had my share of experiences at MASS of getting a lower bill against the estimate given before hand. I think this is more to play psychologically! Also, in feedback forms of MASS, there is a separate question where they ask that whether the actual bill of the jobs done was lower or higher than the estimate. Hence, the service station might have some interest on this aspect here too.
Not to mention the pleasant surprise we, as an owner (& bill payer) get after being billed lesser than the estimate. The reasons they cooked was stupid to say the least.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 21:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hey Agam,

Nice to know about the service of your car. Though, pleasantly surprising, but even I have had my share of experiences at MASS of getting a lower bill against the estimate given before hand. I think this is more to play psychologically! Also, in feedback forms of MASS, there is a separate question where they ask that whether the actual bill of the jobs done was lower or higher than the estimate. Hence, the service station might have some interest on this aspect here too.
Not to mention the pleasant surprise we, as an owner (& bill payer) get after being billed lesser than the estimate. The reasons they cooked was stupid to say the least.

Regards,
Saket
Agree with the reasoning. I believe it is OK to quote a bit higher and taking some margin,for eg. I would have been very happy if I had been given an estimate of 3K, but this unusually large one actually was a problem since I didn't get that kind of cash while leaving the house.

Could you please share your experiences in this aspect? I am sure these would be helpful to us Bhpians
Old 14th July 2013, 12:12   #23
BHPian

Hey,
how much mileage does your car give?
I get only 10kmpl with ac on.

Even my Spark has that irritating alternator screeching noise. I changed the alternator belt and the noise stopped for a month and came back again. I was told since the belt is new it would loosen a bit, hence I got it tightened and the noise stopped.

Now after just 8 months and 5k kms the noise is back. Usually it comes on only when it is raining/car is wet and the ac is on.
Planning to get it checked soon.

650 for oil change sounds good. I was charged around 900 + labour + taxes for oil + oil filter. The service advisor even forced me to go for engine flush saying it is very necessary and oil cannot be changed without that. Charged me around 1400 for that and in the bill it was written value added services!

Btw since your is just 2.5 years old then why do you have to pay for the services?
The Spark comes with a 3 year maintenance program right?

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 14th July 2013 at 12:14.
StrangeWizard is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 13:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Hey,
how much mileage does your car give?
I get only 10kmpl with ac on.
10 would be a bit low,I get about 12 Kmpl in the city, when driven nicely. Very good mileage on the Highway, Well over 19 over there. But the highway runs are very limited in this little car

Quote:
Even my Spark has that irritating alternator screeching noise. I changed the alternator belt and the noise stopped for a month and came back again. I was told since the belt is new it would loosen a bit, hence I got it tightened and the noise stopped.

Now after just 8 months and 5k kms the noise is back. Usually it comes on only when it is raining/car is wet and the ac is on.
Planning to get it checked soon.
Nice to see, that at least mine is not an isolated problem. The same sound actually appears at two different times.
One- the same one as you told, when starting up in the morning, if raining.
Two- It appears when the Steering is on full lock(either side)

Is the second one also seen on your car? Anyways, when you do get it checked, remember to notify me about the solutions.

Quote:
650 for oil change sounds good. I was charged around 900 + labour + taxes for oil + oil filter. The service advisor even forced me to go for engine flush saying it is very necessary and oil cannot be changed without that. Charged me around 1400 for that and in the bill it was written value added services!
It was 650+ Tax actually
Everytime, I go there, they try to convince me(or my Dad) for these useless things like Engine flush, Injector cleaning. At least all these aren't required every single time. Moreover, there is no mention of these in the User Manual.

Quote:
Btw since your is just 2.5 years old then why do you have to pay for the services?
The Spark comes with a 3 year maintenance program right?
Actually that 3 yr Maintenance is not free programme.(I have written about it in the first few posts of the thread). I got a discount of about 50K while buying the car. Had I got the Maintenance programme, it would have cost me 14K, so the discount would've been dialed down to about 35K.
As far as I can tell, About 5 months left and the services have cost me far less than the 14K, it would have cost me. Moreover, We were a bit skeptic about the Chevy dealers, when you have already paid them, the work would obviously be slow, probably even not as good. In all, I guess the services till now cost me about 7K I guess.

Last edited by agambhandari : 14th July 2013 at 13:21.
Old 21st July 2013, 16:01   #25
BHPian

Hi agam,

Firstly, a big Congratulations for your outstanding rank. On behalf of the doctor community a big welcome!

I too have a similar story when we downgraded from a qualis to spark. So can totally relate to you. My long term ownership review is up on team-bhp as well. Have a look at the maintenance the car has been through and what you may expect.
Also, I am always happy to help you in anyway I can.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Simple_car is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 20:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
Hi agam,

Firstly, a big Congratulations for your outstanding rank. On behalf of the doctor community a big welcome!

I too have a similar story when we downgraded from a qualis to spark. So can totally relate to you. My long term ownership review is up on team-bhp as well. Have a look at the maintenance the car has been through and what you may expect.
Also, I am always happy to help you in anyway I can.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Thanks a lot,Interesting you got to know my Rank in NEET,was it from another thread or somewhere else.
I will surely go through the ownership report, hope to keep the spark for at least another 2-3yrs.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hey Agam,
Quote:
When asked for a reason, he said the rates of the parts fluctuate from time to time, its online. Nonsence. How does Engine oil halve in value between Morning and Afternoon.
Generally they should ideally be factoring in 20% top up on what the actuals would be. This is basically done to cover any consumables which they would have overlooked when they take stock of the car in the mornings.
But getting it 100% above the actuals is nothing but they are playing to the galleries. A Cheap thing to do.

Agam,
Well compiled Ownership review on the Chevy Spark. A very ideal alternative to Alto & Estilo with loads of space compared to both of them.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 17:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

ODO:20,000 Kms

The car has now been sent to Delhi, being used for just errands now.

Sending it away from home, had to make it ready....had to prepare it!!

First things first, sent it for a thorough service. Everything usual on the list done. Plus replaced the brake pads this time around, and the difference is very easy to feel, brakes have a better bite now.

Also, got them to clean the car , more importantly also inside.The beige colour was in dismal condition, but they've done great work. I was thinking of getting the seat covers replaced, but now there's no need for it. Well done!!

The locking system developed faults many times over, but for now at least it has been fixed(the guns have been replaced), and works flawlessly. In fact, their mechanic who came around to fix it, even enabled some features, like auto locking when I start the car, unlock on ignition off etc.

Since, the car is leaving its RTO territory, thought its best to get the HSRPs now, had to cough up a grand to get them quickly from a dealer.(the RTO one has a great backlog).
Finally decided to put in an entertainment system. Its a cupertino 220 from Blaunpukt. Nothing fancy, 1 DIN, MP3/USB/Aux/iPod player.
My father got the system and got only 2 front speakers installed. I was skeptical at first, but the sound is pretty good, as long as its not bass heavy.
The whole thing cost Rs 5500/- also including a Radio antenna that was so hard to find in the market.

The car though is running great and no problems from it.
Will be posting some pics soon
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 15:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ODO:20,000 Kms

The car though is running great and no problems from it.
Will be posting some pics soon
Nice to hear that your car is running well. I had sold my Spark last year after five years and over 80k kms. No trouble except for the shock-absorbers that kept going kaput (according to the A.S.S. people). I thought the suspension bushes needed replacement (lot of noise when going over broken roads and small expansion joints, etc), but apparently that wasn't required (according to the A.S.S. people)

I really enjoyed the Spark. She took us all over the place, over all different kinds of terrain, altitudes and several states, without any trouble or ever even worrying about a breakdown. Zero breakdowns and no major issues.

Wish you many more kms in yours, and do keep this thread updated with pics. I get nostalgic at times
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2014, 13:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Front three quarters view(The plates look good) and yeah, thats another Spark alongside it!!
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-img_20140626_121620.jpg

Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-img_20140626_132251.jpg
The cupertino 220(showing RDS currently), its very easy to use thanks to low number of buttos giving it an uncluttered look
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-img_20140626_152020.jpg