Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 28th July 2014, 23:35   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade

HI , Can you please find the rim PCD and offset for spark . I think it must be mentioned on rims or in the service book . I need to know same as i think i can use spark 13inch wheels to upgrade my 12inchers on old Zen .

Thanks a lot.
Trust_In_Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2014, 08:05   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade

I don't think its there in the manual but the PCD is 114.3 and offset 45.

I got the info from the PCD thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...e-pcds-15.html

The manual is available online http://www.chevrolet.co.in/content/d...ol_07MAy14.pdf
quadbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2014, 13:32   #33
BHPian

Hi. Today morning as I came to my car to take it out, i noticed that the letter K of Spark at the rear had come off. I saw it fallen on the ground and picked it up. Is it ok if i use Fevi Quik to stick it back? I can still see the mark left behind and it doesnt look nice, so sticking it back is the only option. Or should i get the entire logo changed at the service station?

Last edited by skyrocket003 : 31st July 2014 at 13:33. Reason: Rephrase of my post
skyrocket003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrocket003 View Post
Hi. Today morning as I came to my car to take it out, i noticed that the letter K of Spark at the rear had come off. I saw it fallen on the ground and picked it up. Is it ok if i use Fevi Quik to stick it back? I can still see the mark left behind and it doesnt look nice, so sticking it back is the only option. Or should i get the entire logo changed at the service station?
Yeah, using fevi kwik is a good option, quick and inexpensive. It'll look alright...so I don't think you need to get a new badge altogether.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 15:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

So updating after a really long time, sorry for that.

A LOT has happened with the car recently. So time to update with that.
The car was developing a really hard clutch and the lower gears were very difficult to slot in, especially the first one. A service was coming up (it was about 24k on the ODO) so took it to Aarav Chevrolet in Moti Nagar. The service experience was strictly Okay, doesn't discourage me from buying chevy cars, so I guess its good enough. Coming to the car, the SA clearly said it needed a clutch replacement soon but I would be okay for a few months and I was quoted a sum of 15K+Taxes for it and time of at least 3 days. I wanted to consult my sister since she would need the car so I refused it at that time but carried on the rest of the service. The Bill came out to be less than 3K which was good since it had an oil change and some other stuff too. The guy at the service center was pretty confident that he could fix the screeching noise from the belt and he did do it, though only for 15 min after I left the dealer. Post service the clutch and gears seemed to be better too so I didn't do much about it for a couple of months.

About 4 months later the clutch seemed harder again, went for a service again, needed to fix the Left Side ORVM, since I only had the loose part. So I was told that nothing can be done about the clutch other than replacement but i was not very happy with the time and money quoted. Then their body shop seemed to be shut everytime I went so we had to Jerry rig and cut the inside door panel to fix the left ORVM, because screw Fit and finish right? This made the service take more time than required. The screeching noise could still not be fixed. But the service did improve the clutch problem a bit that I could carry on for about 2 weeks.

Meanwhile I searched for A good FNG near me to do the job as I didn't have this much time available to leave the car at the dealer. Found Krishna Motors in Connaught place and they quoted only about 8K for the replacement of the entire clutch assembly as well as replacing the Transmission Oil. I could collect the car the same day in the evening provided I brought it early morning. Thats exactly what I did. The parts used were Genuine from Chevrolet and I can't wrap my head around as to why They would need so much time to do it (the Chevy dealer). Anyways, the clutch was completely fixed and the action was lighter than it ever was!! I'm suspecting I had a lemon clutch since the start :P

Everything was going great until one fine day the Speedo stopped working and there was an error light on the cluster. ALso had to go to get the clutch calibrated so went back to the same FNG, clutch was fixed a little bit so that it was more progressive and the car was diagnosed with an OBD scanner, turns out the error was just about the faulty speedo. The entire electromechanical sensor had just died and the new one cost 1800. While the car is used entirely in the city and all the other guages worked fine on the digital screen , we sprung to fix it since it always threw an error light when the car turned on.(It can be cleared by plugging an OBD scanner/dongle). So in case there were any serious faults, they would go unnoticed so got it to avoid such a scenario But this was later, the day something else happened.

I was driving at about 20 and upshifting when I found the gearstick to have more play than usual, like it seemed loose. Made a turn on a slipway and KHACHHHHHHHHH like something was scraping the ground from my car. Immediately pulled over, got down looked under the car from front, side, back nothing. Since I was in a hurry , got in again started, moved 5 metres and then SHUTTT, thats it no movement, I could give in any amount of throttle, I could put in any gear but the car chose to be in neutral!! So in the intense heat of July called up the guy at the FNG, they sent a car to tow it. We open the bonnet and they show me that the Gearbox had come loose. I was thinking to myself thats what happens when you don't go to an authorised dealer.
Anyways the car towed it to the garage, it was opened and we found that a Bolt which was fixing the Gearbox mounts had snapped, not loose or come off, it had literally split in two. On comparing the other screw was also identical, so I believe it wasn't necessarily the fault of FNG, but they would have opened it at the time of clutch replacement. I got the car back the next day. Damage done to wallet : about 5k also including break pads which needed replacement.

Also got the rear bumper heated and molded back to the original shape, had a couple of major dings on it.

Few months later I felt the clutch hardening up a bit and some screeching noise in the steering and that Horrible screeching in the belt was becoming a nuisance. Went to the FNG the clutch was recalibrated a lttle bit and its just like it was when brand new(read as Not very light). The mechanic heard the belt noise and bet me that he could fix it. I said do try :LOL He opened the bonnet and quicly diagnosed it to be a broken bracket that tightens the belt of the alternator. Took 30 min to remove it and he was right, it was in 2 parts. They got it welded and an hour later it was back in place and I attained bliss when I turned on the car!! Pure silence.
It would make more sense if i explain you what that sound used to be. It used to come on everytime the car was started, continuing even at idle and it was so bad that I was worried the car is on its last legs. And now the car is so silent even at startup and the idle is such refined that the passengers can not tell when the car is on. Truly experiencing the 4 cylinder refinement that this segment has lost now.
The steering column just needed a little grease and it was good to go.

So now its 28K on the odo, into its 7th year with countless number of scratches a couple of dings. But to drive it feels (and sounds) very good. The steering is not the lightest but definitely has more feel than the other cars that i have driven (including a honda city and ecosport). Not completely sure if we want to sell the car right now since it is working very well and the running is pretty low. Would probably look into it if the running picks up and a safer car is needed. As a way to get around in the crowded Central delhi, it more than does the job.

Since its close to 30k and over 6 years old, a tyre change is on the cards. I was looking at upsizing the width to 165 but the options don't seem very compatible. If other spark owners have any suggestion would be great to hear. If nothing, I would probably just get the 155/70 R13 infact in the same Apollo model, since it seems to be the most economical of the better brands.
Old 30th March 2017, 01:05   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
He opened the bonnet and quicly diagnosed it to be a broken bracket that tightens the belt of the alternator. Took 30 min to remove it and he was right, it was in 2 parts. They got it welded and an hour later it was back in place and I attained bliss when I turned on the car!! Pure silence.
It would make more sense if i explain you what that sound used to be. It used to come on everytime the car was started, continuing even at idle and it was so bad that I was worried the car is on its last legs. And now the car is so silent even at startup and the idle is such refined that the passengers can not tell when the car is on.

Since its close to 30k and over 6 years old, a tyre change is on the cards. I was looking at upsizing the width to 165 but the options don't seem very compatible. If other spark owners have any suggestion would be great to hear. If nothing, I would probably just get the 155/70 R13 infact in the same Apollo model, since it seems to be the most economical of the better brands.

I had almost the same alternator belt issue with my wagon r. It used to make such a horrible screeching sound that everyone would give way without me ever using the horn. It was much more effective than even what a large SUV aka Fortuner does when i drive it. I took my car to an FNG here in Dilshad garden to get the break pads changed. On hearing the noise (which was btw there since 2years) my mechanic also bet me I can get it corrected. I did not want to spend much on an 11year old 70k km driven vehicle and told him max I will spend on the noise is 500 bucks that too only if corrected. He took up the challenge found the broken belt and replaced it all for 300 bucks. The car is silent from then on except for the umpteen rattled that it now has. Your car has seriously low running looks like you and your sister should go out more often if you get time. Cheers.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2017, 00:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

Had a puncture almost in the sidewall today. Replaced it with the spare currently but looking to get new tyres considering the tread as visible in this pic.

I'm interested in upsizing to 165/65 R13, its available in most brands. Would most likely Go with Bridgestone Turanzas or Michelin XM2. If anybody has any good options for tyres and places to get them in delhi, do post here.
Attached Thumbnails
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-1491160823303.jpg  

agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 17:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Got the new Tyres today. Picked the Michelin XM2 thanks to the fantastic reviews on Team Bhp in almost every aspect.
Got a set of 4 165/65 R13 for 13600 at Rana tyres in Karol Bagh. Would highly recommend them, considering other places quoted me prices upto over 4K per tyre. Do note that they don't offer wheel alignment facility, so if you want that, include that as an extra cost over this. Wheel balancing was included.

Coming to the tyre itself, I upsized the width for better grip,ride quality and braking. In the short ride back from the shop, I can confirm that the latter two of these have definitely improved. At a speed of about 60, the car feels much more planted than before and the ride quality is much more flat at this speed. Low speed ride doesn't seem to have changed much.
Tyre noise is also a little lower i think, but it doesn't matter though since the engine and AC make enough noise anyway to drown out any other noises. Would definitely recommend XM2. Let's see how the long term experience pans out.
Attached Thumbnails
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-1491306596541.jpg  

Old 9th April 2017, 00:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

So, something unexpected happened

Thanks to Bhpian Kunal Kaushal, I could get my hands on a pair of great Pioneer 932H speakers for the rear of the car. And just so happened that the timing was perfect. As soon as he confirmed that i could pick it up, I was on my way to the Rajiv chowk metro station and park my car there while I went to gurgaon to get it. While taking the car to CP, I could hear a lot less sound from the car's already feeble front speakers. I had to turn up the sound quite a bit and even then the sound was totally cracking, so I had to turn it down. Since I was going to an accessory shop to get the rear speakers fitted, I thought i'll get the front ones checked out too and didn't worry much.

So later, got the speakers, got in the car drove up to karol bagh to get the speakers fixed (at any shop I could find, since it wasn't much of a job). Found the market just opposite the Karol bagh metro station. They checked the speakers and they worked(They couldn't verify the sound quality etc. but i wasn't too worried about that.

Now, when I asked them if they would be able to fit a parcel shelf in the rear, every shop said yes(on the phone) and I even told them that my model doesn't have the required covers to hold the shelf and they were still affirmative. But when it came to actually fitting the shelf, they asked me where the cover was!! After telling them a couple of times that this wasn't present on this model, the main guy even questioned me if i was even the first owner

I'll explain. Take a look at this image.
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-clipboard.jpg

Basically I didn't have this part covering up this seatbelt mechanism. A search on team bhp told that it can be bought for 500 from the A.S.S but i couldn't be bothered by that. but then the guy brought a parcel shelf (basically just a wooden board with some nice fabric , already cut in shape for the spark and a provision for mounting the speakers.

Then he fit a metal bracket on the sides to hold the shelf. Thankfully the rear seatbelt function was not compromised.
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-bracket.jpg

The shelf was held pretty well by these brackets, I was afraid it would fall down as its not exactly horizontal. But it was a snug fit. Then the guy started to do wiring and to my surprise half of the wiring was already present. No need to take out the headunit, the wires were already in place at the rear. So just need to plug in a little bit of more wires and the system worked. I was amazed at the sound quality when it sprung to life.

The bottom view
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-bottom-view.jpg

The final product from a couple of angles.
Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-view-1.jpg

Notice that the shelf is a little lower than the seat, so thankfully no affecting the visibility at the back.

Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-view-2.jpg

So heard the speakers at a reasonable volume and they sounded fantastic. Complete range can be heard and even the bass is punchy. Mids and highs are equally great. And i loved the sound after setting a "V setting" manually on the HU equaliser. And when I raised the volume, I could hear the front speakers cracking again, got them to open it and found this.

Moved from a Honda City to Chevy Spark! Learnings from the downgrade-img20170407wa0114.jpg

I was totally surprised as the system was working well just the previous day. I didn't bother to replace these as any front speakers that could fit in the 4 inch bay would be pretty weak and these new rear speakers are way better and at less than 25 percent volume they are plenty loud.

Total damage to pocket : 700 rupees (including the tray, wiring and fitting)

So thats how I got the speakers fixed at the correct time.
Old 5th June 2017, 00:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Drove the car after sometime yesterday, just a short drive. But boy, was that enough to make me fall in love with it all over again! The new tyres have definitely improved all aspects of the drive, especially the grip and the noise. The car is so silent and refined all around when pottering in the city and I was riding in a similarly old santro a few days ago and I can easily tell which car felt more comfortable.

Just after getting off, heard a 3 cylinder Tiago starting up and driving away, was loud and unpleasant to say the least. And when the spark started up, I wasn't even sure until it started moving. This 4 cylinder refinement has gone missing from the segment now. I get the downsizing but I'm not sure how much going to a 3 cylinder saves on fuel. I wouldn't have anything to say against it if its well engineered for the NVH levels(Like the ecoboost 1.0) but some just sound too harsh.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:44   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Meanwhile I searched for A good FNG near me to do the job as I didn't have this much time available to leave the car at the dealer. Found Krishna Motors in Connaught place and they quoted only about 8K for the replacement of the entire clutch assembly as well as replacing the Transmission Oil. .
Had a great experience at Krishna motors on your recommendation. Got my sister's A star AC compressor changed at Krishna motors. He does not do AC work himself but outsourced it and hence my sis had to leave and take it back from there only. Extremely professional in their work. Work was done 2 hours before the expected time and done to our satisfaction. It has been almost a month and it is working flawlessly. He had given an estimate of 8k but only took 7000 in the end saying that he got the original compressor for cheaper. He even gave the car a free wash and kept the old compressor in the car even without asking. Thanks a lot for the advise from me and my sister who has finally found an FNG to maintain her car near her hospital.
ToyotaFan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 23:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Did a total overhaul of the car in a few steps.

For some reason, the back of the rear seats was shedding the trim everytime some luggage rubbed against it. So visited the (super-shady) market for car seat covers in Karol bagh(just next to the metro station) and i just asked a black art leather fabric ro be nailed to back of the seat, but the guy being overzealous took out my seat cover, sewed a black leather piece on to it and put it back on. All in 20 min ! Damage done 600 bucks.

Was recently driving around the whole family in this little car and that uncovered the chink in the armor, the weak AC. Me sitting in the driver seat could tell that the AC was failing in the Delhi heat, and obviously it was worse in the back seats. Thinking about potential fixes, i found out that it needs a gas refill every few years to keep the cooling up to the scratch. Asked around the seat cover guy and I kid you not, found an AC gas guy running his whole enterprise from the boot of a Mitsubishi Lancer. He checked the AC and found that the gas needed to be refilled, and showed me that the cooling pipe wasn't being cooled(felt it with my own hands) and he gave me a quote of 650 bucks to refill the gas. To tell you the truth I was really apprehensive about getting work done from such a shady operation, but his quoted price was almost half of what most places would have charged. So after taking a brief look at his pretty new Refrigerant cylinders(which had the proper labels and the pump with it too), gave it a go ahead and few minutes later, I felt bliss in my nearly 7 year old car while it was 40 degrees in Karol bagh!! The AC is so effective that I have had people telling me to turn it down even when it is on the lowest fan speed. Earlier I had to use the highest fan speed even when it was just me in the car.

Dad saw the car and he was not impressed with the upkeep. LOL it was dirty inside and out(I would like to blame the monsoon as well) and the wipers made real bad sounds so ordered some frameless wiper blades from Amazon for 350 bucks. They feel a little flimsy but they work pretty well in the rains, but somehow don't feel that good in light drizzles. Not bad for the money and they look MUCH premium than regular blades. For a good car wash, I headed to Kirti nagar at the Steam king washers, got a reguar wash and an interior vacuum cleaning. Took an hour(while I passed time at the Moti nagar Car dealers ) and they even waxed it and the interior was also polished and cleaned. It was avery thorough job with cleaning every possible crevice. My car standing there was almost laughable as they had Audis and BMW filling the shop. Nevertheless very professional and would definitely visit them again if ever need a good wash.
Got the car a quick service near Palam Vihar in Gurgaon at a nice spare parts shop and I loved the swift pace at which they finished the work.
stuff done included Engine Oil change, Oil filter change, Coolant change, air filter change, inspecting the brake pads. Everything was done within 40 mins flat!! Never again am I going to a dealership to get an old car serviced. For the Engine Oil, got the Mobil 1 Mineral Oil 10W-30(learnt that it is better than the stock viscosity for our warmer climate) had to buy a 5L can, even though it only used 3.2L of it. The Coolant was all brown(probably rust in the radiator) so flushed it and filled 2 bottles of Castrol coolant in it. Filters were from Minda IIRC. Was only charged 300 as labor which is perfectly reasonable.

The result of everything? The car is now so much more comfortable to live with. and the biggest difference made is by the AC. My dad told me that 2 things in the car make up the experience for every passenger, the AC and the music. In the last few months both these things have been revamped in the Spark and it feels rejuvenated. The oil change has obviously made the engine smoother and it felt the most at the higher revs. Earlier I was afraid to rev it past 3000 rpm, it almost made a repelling noise. It is way less now and if I can just surpass that beyond 3400 rpm the engine is surprisingly free revving and in 2nd gear the sudden burst of power beyond 2400 and about 3800 rpm feels so much fun, that I keep doing that whenever I find an empty stretch between the traffic lights. Driving to Gurgaon multiple times in these weeks made it clear that Spark is best left cruising at speeds of about 80 kmph. While the stability is not a concern and it felt good easily upto 120(haven't tried beyond that), the engine enters that slump phase at about 3000 rpm and the noise from the engine is just not soothing. While at 80, it feels well at home at just 2400 rpm in 5th gear with enough punch for even sudden overtakes. The ride quality continues to impress, few days ago felt a real harshness in the ride and a quick check with the pump revealed higher pressures in the tyres. and the guy at the petrol pump was also filling 33 psi by himself. Had to tell him to do it at 30 psi and after that the ride was good again. The handling is also nice and I still prefer the feel of this steering to the Ecosport which still feels lifeless.

Few things that I would like to improve is the Clutch and gearbox. At one point I was afraid its acting up again, but as the mechanic very well uncovered that it happened when the rains started and happens only when the car is sparingly used. This is the automotive equivalent of morning stiffness(the doctors in the readers will get it). But when it gets better it feels good and reminds me why a Manual transmission is still my choice for the little driving that I get to do. Although no doubt, if you have a daily commute in NCR, get an AT.
Also, I'm 5' 11'' and the spark is quite low and the steering is big and without any tilt adjustment. It makes me keep the seat much far away than I would like otherwise my thigh hits the steering and it gets uncomfortable in 5 mins. That's why I love high riding cars, for the posture that they offer. And lastly, the sound insulation is seriously mediocre and feels much behind a modern product in this segment like a maruti celerio.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 12:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Did a total overhaul of the car in a few steps.
Can you please suggest the name of the mechanic/spare part shop in Palam vihar, as I also stay in the same area, but struggling to find the good mechanic.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th August 2017 at 13:37.
amitpunjani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2017, 14:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
Can you please suggest the name of the mechanic/spare part shop in Palam vihar, as I also stay in the same area, but struggling to find the good mechanic.
I'm not sure but I think it was national automobiles. It was next to a plywood shop and they didn't have much space inside the shop, looked just like a spare parts shop, not a typical garage as most of them are.