Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 3rd January 2013, 22:46   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nkrishnap, one suggestion. Do not change the color temperature of the fog lamps. The fog lamps won't serve the purpose then. Saying this because your replacement bulbs are going to be whiter.

Edit: Any reason you chose Silverstar over NB+ ? I have NB+ H4s costed 900 a pair, mrp was 1150. Results are good, most heavy vehicles dip for me now.
No specific reason actually, these were cheap and have extensively used it in the bike. I have done quite a few thousand kms riding in the night on the highways, so this seemed most VFM.

By the way, the silverstar is not in white, they as good as stock colored bulbs. The oncoming vehicles dip when I use the pass light or switch to high beam. The high beam in Linea is very good.

We missed a chance meeting up during the factory visit.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 11:44   #167
Senior - BHPian

I can vouch for nkrishnap's silverstar replacement bulbs. I was able to see the difference when compared to my Linea's OEM bulbs - the throw, visibility distance and spread of these headlamps were significantly improved with his silverstars. We were checking this out in a basement, so the difference in the beam was clearly visible. From outside, one can hardly make out that these lights are non-OEM. It produces the same kind of yellow light, just with a little more intensity. Good VFM upgrade that I will be considering for the Punto.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 14:35   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
No specific reason actually, these were cheap and have extensively used it in the bike. I have done quite a few thousand kms riding in the night on the highways, so this seemed most VFM.

By the way, the silverstar is not in white, they as good as stock colored bulbs. The oncoming vehicles dip when I use the pass light or switch to high beam. The high beam in Linea is very good.

Where did you purchase these bulbs in bangalore? How do they fare against the night breakers,any idea?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 14:46   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Where did you purchase these bulbs in bangalore? How do they fare against the night breakers,any idea?
You can get this from the Osram Distributor on the Lalbagh Fort road.

On comparison to Night breakers, you dont get the whitish light, the silverstars are very similar to the stock bulbs, but about 30% brighter and 20% longer beam in real life. To top it off they cost about less than half of what one would pay for the night breaker plus.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:17   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Osram Bangalore distributor is Reliance Agencies on JC road. Contact number 9880896117. Nilesh Gandhi is the proprietor.

He also knows of Team-BHP.

Night breakers offer very good illumination but are priced double than silver star. Osram silver star competes with Philips Vision plus whereas night breaker competes with Philips Xtreme Power.

Philips Xtreme power offer good illumination but my bulbs blew within one year.

Silver star offers better than stock illumination but slightly lesser than night breaker/xtreme power. Advantage is the life is similar to stock i.e. long life.

I would go for Osram over philips. I have tried the following bulbs:

1. Philips Vision Plus. - Decent illumination with slightly bluish tinge. Life is good for a couple of years atleast. - Rs.480 for a pair.
2. Philips Xtreme Power - Good illumination but poor life. Slightly whitish tinge. Rs.800 for a pair.
3. Osram Silver star - Decent illumination and very good life. Rs. 420 for a pair.
4. Osram Night breaker plus - very good illumination still to see the life since I have them only for a month now. Rs. 1100 a pair.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th January 2013 at 15:37. Reason: wrong dealer name.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:25   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Osram Bangalore distributor is Reliance Agencies on JC road. Contact number 9880896117. Nilesh Gandhi is the proprietor.

Night breakers offer very good illumination but are priced double than silver star. Osram silver star competes with Philips Vision plus whereas night breaker competes with Philips Xtreme Power.

Silver star offers better than stock illumination but slightly lesser than night breaker/xtreme power. Advantage is the life is similar to stock i.e. long life.

1. Philips Vision Plus. - Decent illumination with slightly bluish tinge. Life is good for a couple of years atleast. - Rs.480 for a pair.
2. Philips Xtreme Power - Good illumination but poor life. Slightly whitish tinge. Rs.800 for a pair.
3. Osram Silver star - Decent illumination and very good life. Rs. 420 for a pair.
4. Osram Night breaker plus - very good illumination still to see the life since I have them only for a month now. Rs. 1100 a pair.
Was using Philips extreme power for past two years. Yesterday, one of the bulb low beam fused. Since extreme power are no longer in production, I was planning to go to its successor extreme vision. Which one would you suggest between extreme vision and night breaker plus? I was very happy with extreme power during its two year service.

Ain't AK traders authorised distributor for Philips bulbs too?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th January 2013 at 15:37. Reason: edited my quote! Thanks.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:40   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Was using Philips extreme power for past two years. Yesterday, one of the bulb low beam fused. Since extreme power are no longer in production, I was planning to go to its successor extreme vision. Which one would you suggest between extreme vision and night breaker plus? I was very happy with extreme power during its two year service.

Sorry about that. It's Reliance agencies not AK. AK is philips and Reliance is Osram.

Both bulbs Night breaker + and Xtreme Vision are the best 55/60W bulbs in the market. Life of the bulbs depends on your luck and secondly the usage. If you drive in the city more at night times the heat is more so the life will be less. If you drive more on highways or most of your drives in town are before it gets dark you will get decent life.

Both are similar according to me and it's just boils down to brand preference. I started with Silver star, went to Vision Plus, then to Xtreme Power and now Night breaker + just to gauge any difference.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 15:53   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The night breaker and the Xtreme power bulbs though generate better output, their life span is a question mark. I have 2 sets replaced within a year in my cousin's alto. After these trials, settled for the best balance for the silver star (the bulb is going strong from 1+ years in the alto and a good 3.5 years on my bike).

Quote:

As Vidyut mentioned, it can be brand preference. The performance of these two are more or less the same.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 20:55   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Good then, I would try them for the fog lamps.

I actually missed the factory meet as I had to travel to Bangy for a week's assignment, cancelled the rooms booked et all sadly. We would catch up sometime at BLR or any meets, would love to meet you and your Linea.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2013, 21:27   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Good then, I would try them for the fog lamps.

I actually missed the factory meet as I had to travel to Bangy for a week's assignment, cancelled the rooms booked et all sadly. We would catch up sometime at BLR or any meets, would love to meet you and your Linea.
Sure we should meet up sometime in Bangalore. Will drop you a PM with my number, do feel free to give me a buzz when you come to Bangalore.

Try the silverstar for the fog lamps. I will put them on when I go for service, as changing the bulb is a nightmare.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:34   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

Updating the mileage after a while.

23rd Refill - 333 kms - 18.02 litres - 18.48 kmpl - Avg speed - 58 kmph - BPCL Bunk

24th Refill - 92 kms - 6.87 Litres - 13.39 kmpl - Avg Speed - 18 kmph - HPCL Bunk

25th Refill - 1840 kms - 102.1 Litres - 18.02 kmpl - Avg Speed - 52 kmph - The overall trip to Pune a consolidated entry as I did not note down each refuel. Bunks refueled at are IOCL and BPCL

26th Refill - 123 kms - 8.1 Litres- 15.19 kmpl - Avg Speed - 24 kmph - IOCL

27th Refill - 221 kms - 16.71 Litres - 13.23 kmpl - Avg Speed - 19 kmph - IOCL

28th Refill - 310 kms - 23.06 Litres - 13.44 kmpl - Avg Speed - 19 kmph - HPCL.

A bit of stats

ODO as of today - 10928 kms
No of days of ownership - 134 days
Avg Kms per day - 81.55 kms

Closing in on 11,000 kms mark. The car is performing as expected apart from the irritating tyre noise.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 18:56   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A bit of stats
ODO as of today - 10928 kms
No of days of ownership - 134 days
Avg Kms per day - 81.55 kms

You are really munching miles at a furious pace! And definitely Linea is serving you well ! Looks like if it goes at this rate,
your folks at home might as well throw your stuff into the car and say; stay there !

All the best for many many more !
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 22:01   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You are really munching miles at a furious pace! And definitely Linea is serving you well ! Looks like if it goes at this rate,
your folks at home might as well throw your stuff into the car and say; stay there !

All the best for many many more !
That day is not too far off. They have already started cribbing that too much attention is paid to the Linea than people at home

I need to count as to exactly how many days the vehicle was driven. The per day number will be even higher.
Old 21st January 2013, 21:20   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Completed 11,000 kms today on the way back from ITPL to my residence. Loads of time to click this picture as there was a huge traffic pile up.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20130121_193000.jpg
Old 24th January 2013, 16:13   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking to upgrade the audio with the below config. Can somebody let me know if this needs to be tweaked.

1. Cerwin Vega HED 65cs 6.5" component speakers
2. Cerwin Vega HED 525 5.25" rear speakers
3. Cerwin Vega HED 600.4 4 channel amplifier
4. High input wiring + amp + speaker cabling (forgot the brand, i guess its bose)
5. Door damping with 3M door dampening material
6. Cerwin Vega HED 124 12" inch subwoofer + box

Let me know if something needs to be tweaked in this.

Note: I am not changing the Head Unit to retain the Blue n Me functionality.