Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 16th May 2016, 09:01   #511
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed

Recently did a drive to Mumbai with a bit of official work. Squeezed a day and 3 Safaris at Kabini too stretching the drive a little more.

Started off from Home at 9 pm on the 23rd April 2016, dropped my wife at in laws place in RR nagar. Started around 10.30 pm, topped up fuel at the RV college IOCL bunk and took the NICE (not so NICE in fact) road towards Tumkur. The drive was quick and uneventful until Dharwad bypass. The right side low beam bulb conked. Replaced the bulb fused 100 w bulb with 80w H7 ones (replaced both the low beams) and continued until the CCD a few kms after the TATA Motors Factory in Dharwad. A cappuccino and a quick power nap, I was off towards Mumbai. Reached Powai around 12 noon. Checked into the hotel, relaxed a bit and went out to meet my friend.

Few pics en-route

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160424_064948.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160424_065013.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160424_070626.jpg

A few pics taken at Lonvala (forgot the view point name)

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-img_0346.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160426_183959.jpg

Left Lonavala at 3.30 pm on 28th April and drove to Kabini for a day of safaris. Reached back Bangalore on 29th April around 5 pm.

A drive that lasted for 2,481 kms and 39 hours and 36 mins (includes the time the car was idled)

Route map - https://goo.gl/maps/8AktGhtWkUK2

Map

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-map.jpg

Mileage

Name:  Mileage.JPG
Views: 1772
Size:  44.8 KB

Milestones

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160424_083121.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-20160428_230103.jpg

During the drive, I had Huliyar road from Hiriyur towards Channarayapatna. Thanks to my rally style driving, I managed to crack the lower arm rubber. Got these changed a couple of days back at Vecto.

Broken bush

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-old-lower-arm.jpg

New Lower Arm

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-new-lower-arm.jpg

Replaced the broken Driver side sun visor too

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-broken-sun-visor.jpg

New one

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-new-sun-visor.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
You have got a nice set of magnetic shades, the shape for the front windows is unique. I have got one with zipper for the front windows, they really protect from the sun. If you can disclose the cost of your set ?

Can you please post picture of the temp. needle in various state of the map like stock, 1,2,3 and 4. I seem to get confused with this.
I will be posting my remap observation very soon. I will include this in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Hi Krishna, glad you're enjoying you're remap. Eagerly waiting for the writeup on your experience!

Why did you go all the way to Salem for the EGR work?

Does disabling the EGR affect the PUC check or mileage in any way?

Thanks!
Went to Salem for two reasons, workmanship and cost. Vecto was not eager to do this job (time consuming job) and they wanted a heft amount for it. Got the emission certificate after the remap and it passed on the stock maps. Mileage in the city has dropped a wee bit, but the highway ones is slightly increased or same as stock at most times.
nkrishnap is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 22:00   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Passed these milestones, thanks to the recent drives to Nagarahole and Bandipur.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-66000.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-66666.jpg

During the lower arm replacement, I had specifically asked Vecto guys to check the link rods and change if necessary. Lazy guys did not bother to check it. Thanks to this a 2nd visit ensured. Got it replaced and now the suspension works like a charm

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-link-rods.jpg

Post the lower arm and link rod replacement, got the wheel balancing and alignment done at Madhus. It did not come out right during the first visit. A quick chat with Nikhil ensured it was sorted out in the 2nd visit. Now things are working as expected.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:49   #513
Senior - BHPian

How's the remap doing? Which map do you use the most? I am waiting for your detailed review on switchable maps
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:19   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
How's the remap doing? Which map do you use the most? I am waiting for your detailed review on switchable maps
The remap is doing good. Linea is transformed on the highway, picks up speed a lot more quicker. Using the map 3 as it is versatile for stop and go traffic as well as highways. For pure city drive, map 2 suits better.

I have done around 8600 kms after remap. Another 1400 odd kms to go, need to put the observations in a detailed post. Will come soon, it will be worth the wait.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:52   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Passed these milestones, thanks to the recent drives to Nagarahole and Bandipur.

Attachment 1516216

Attachment 1516217

During the lower arm replacement, I had specifically asked Vecto guys to check the link rods and change if necessary. Lazy guys did not bother to check it. Thanks to this a 2nd visit ensured. Got it replaced and now the suspension works like a charm
Was it covered under warranty ? What was the cost of parts ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016, 10:55   #516
Distinguished - BHPian

No. It wasn't. I changed these as they had gone weak/bust. Did not bother to check about warranty.
Old 6th July 2016, 16:48   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossed the 68,000 kms mark during the recent trip to True sai. Had some work in Erode, so clubbed a visit to FASS in the trip to get the rear aligment right.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-68000.jpg

The alignment readings before the work done and one from Madhus taken earlier for illustration. Now all the readings are in the prescribed limits. I forgot to take the pic of the final alignment readings.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-alignment-1.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-alignment-2.jpg

Got the battery terminals connector cables (as it was worn out at the battery terminals) and the Oil sump (an under-body hit stated a mild leakage) replaced. Oil and Oil filter change also done in the same visit.

One irritating thing with the MJD in the Fiats is the air filter hose falling off from the assembly. Being fed up with it, came home and managed to bolt it up with air filter assembly.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-air-filter-hose.jpg

Linea got a layer of wax coating too. Here are some pics. Ignore the brake dust on the alloys. They were cleaned later as I was exhausted after waxing the car.

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-car-1.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-car-2.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-car-3.jpg

Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed-car-4.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 13:02   #518
BHPian

Hi nkrishnap,

I was searching around for reviews of the Continental ContiMaxContact MC5's and the Michelin Primacy 3ST's and I had spoken to arun_josie who suggested me to read your review for the MC5's

I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 95xxx kms done and I am looking to replace my tires.
I am trying to figure out which tire should I go for. My travel is 20kms in Mumbai city to work and back & a 300-400km drive once a month out of the city. My requirement is a silent cabin, grip on dry and wet roads and a lifespan of 35,000-40,000kms.
I have following options:
1. Continental ContiMaxContact MC5 195/60/88V R15
2. Michelin Primacy 3 ST 195/60/88V R15
3. Bridgestone Potenza G3 205/55/91V R15 (because Bridgestone Potenza G3's not available in the 195 trim)

It would be great if I could get your opinion on my choice as you are an active user of the MC5's as a week ago, I had made up my mind to go for the MC5's but a few friends and tire guys did not suggest me the Conti's where as the internet has mixed reviews of the MC5's.

Thanks in advance!

DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 17:36   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Had some work in Erode, so clubbed a visit to FASS in the trip to get the rear alignment right.

The alignment readings before the work done and one from Madhus taken earlier for illustration. Now all the readings are in the prescribed limits. I forgot to take the pic of the final alignment readings.
Krishna, I too have a problem with alignment; Nikhil at Madhu's said it had to be fixed at the dealership. Did you get yours done at True Sai in Salem? Vecto seems to be clueless. Thanks.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2016, 22:43   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Hi nkrishnap,

I was searching around for reviews of the Continental ContiMaxContact MC5's and the Michelin Primacy 3ST's and I had spoken to arun_josie who suggested me to read your review for the MC5's

I have a 2005 Toyota Corolla with 95xxx kms done and I am looking to replace my tires.
I am trying to figure out which tire should I go for. My travel is 20kms in Mumbai city to work and back & a 300-400km drive once a month out of the city. My requirement is a silent cabin, grip on dry and wet roads and a lifespan of 35,000-40,000kms.
I have following options:
1. Continental ContiMaxContact MC5 195/60/88V R15
2. Michelin Primacy 3 ST 195/60/88V R15
3. Bridgestone Potenza G3 205/55/91V R15 (because Bridgestone Potenza G3's not available in the 195 trim)

It would be great if I could get your opinion on my choice as you are an active user of the MC5's as a week ago, I had made up my mind to go for the MC5's but a few friends and tire guys did not suggest me the Conti's where as the internet has mixed reviews of the MC5's.

Thanks in advance!

DM99
Firstly before the review for MC5, if I may ask, what are your requirements? Based on that the inputs can be provided. One thing let me get it straight, if you are looking at high mileage tyres, do not bother about the soft compound tyres.

Observations on the Continental MC5

1. Soft Compound tyres with very good grip in both wet and dry conditions.
2. Comfortable ride (in comparison with Goodyear and Hankook tyres I had on the car earlier)
3. Rides quite silently on the tarred roads and with negligible noise on the concrete roads
4. Have done around 23k kms with more than half the thread depth left. Should be good enough for another 20k kms (hoping so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Krishna, I too have a problem with alignment; Nikhil at Madhu's said it had to be fixed at the dealership. Did you get yours done at True Sai in Salem? Vecto seems to be clueless. Thanks.
I got the alignment fixed at True Sai. Camber and toe were adjusted for both the front and the rear wheels. You may try the A1 center who may be able to fix this. Madhus adjust only toe and do not make any other adjustments as far as I am aware of.
Old 11th July 2016, 13:24   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly before the review for MC5, if I may ask, what are your requirements? Based on that the inputs can be provided. One thing let me get it straight, if you are looking at high mileage tyres, do not bother about the soft compound tyres.

Observations on the Continental MC5

1. Soft Compound tyres with very good grip in both wet and dry conditions.
2. Comfortable ride (in comparison with Goodyear and Hankook tyres I had on the car earlier)
3. Rides quite silently on the tarred roads and with negligible noise on the concrete roads
4. Have done around 23k kms with more than half the thread depth left. Should be good enough for another 20k kms (hoping so).
Dear nkrishnap,

I drive in Mumbai more than I would like to, so most of my travel is virtual travel, I am stuck in traffic and imagine myself to be reaching my destination. Jokes aside, I figured that my travel does not include enthusiastic driving even one bit where I would even think of exploring the ability of the tires. So I went ahead and put the Bridgestone B290's on my Corolla yesterday. It has fairly checked in all the boxes of my requirements; Silent cabin, grippy wet and dry roads (tested last night) and a lifespan of around 35,000 - 40,000 kms.
So the Conti's and the Michelin's for me is like a situation where I am a plumber by profession but I am dating a Supermodel. I would enjoy the envious eyes of others because I am dating one, but it is not like I will be able to take it forward into my plumbing business.

These are the prices I got for the tires I was looking at and the tires I decided to go for. (per tire)

Continental MC5's - Rs. 4750/-
Michelin P3ST's - Rs. 5400/-
Bridgestone B290 - Rs. 5000/-

Once again I would like to thank you for your support and help for choosing my tires.

Best Regards,
DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 14:42   #522
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed

Quote:
I got the alignment fixed at True Sai. Camber and toe were adjusted for both the front and the rear wheels. You may try the A1 center who may be able to fix this. Madhus adjust only toe and do not make any other adjustments as far as I am aware of.
Krishna,

Generally in any WA/WB shop (at least in Mumbai) only the toe adjustments are done. I was told in FASS that if camber or caster adjustments were to be made, suspensions have to be lowered and done. This is usually couple of day's job if done to perfection by trained technicians. Chances of things going wrong is high if done without any prior experience. Is this true?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 15:00   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Krishna,

Generally in any WA/WB shop (at least in Mumbai) only the toe adjustments are done. I was told in FASS that if camber or caster adjustments were to be made, suspensions have to be lowered and done. This is usually couple of day's job if done to perfection by trained technicians. Chances of things going wrong is high if done without any prior experience. Is this true?
Couple of days is absolute rubbish, a couple of hours at the most. Of course with any task trained technicians are a must to have a job done correctly. The toe and camber can be adjusted for sure. It is just that the people who are doing the job should know how to do it.

By the way, even the alignment centers can do this task, but they opt not to as it is time consuming, returns are lower and lastly they may lack expertise to handle all the cars on our roads.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:04   #524
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Petrol Hatch to Diesel Sedan - Fiat Linea - Now Wolfed

Quote:
By the way, even the alignment centers can do this task, but they opt not to as it is time consuming, returns are lower and lastly they may lack expertise to handle all the cars on our roads.
Agreed. But when FASS themselves are not enthusiastic to do the settings, what can one expect? But you did not answer the question - does the suspension setup needs to be lowered to do the camber and caster settings? If yes, then definitely outside WA/WB centres cannot be entrusted to do this. Only authorized FASS should do this.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 16:48   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
But you did not answer the question - does the suspension setup needs to be lowered to do the camber and caster settings? If yes, then definitely outside WA/WB centres cannot be entrusted to do this. Only authorized FASS should do this.
No you need not lower the suspension to do this. All you need to do is the open up the lower suspension mounts whilst the respective side wheel is on a jack. Insert the shims where required and bolt it back to recheck the alignment readings. That way you need not remove the whole suspension to get the camber and toe adjusted. Hope this helps.