Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 14th October 2012, 19:55   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I heard some one in this forum mentioning Dusters produced here are to be exported to UK from Jan of 2013 is it true? then will they using a different sets of bumpers for the export models?

I am wondering how an SUV which is to be used roughly by nature been using flimsy materials for the construction of the bumpers. Is this also a cost cutting act by Renault or an deliberate one imposed on Indians alone? If so its very much condonable.
I too came to know that Duster will be exported from India and 4*4 variant to be produced only for international market. But i have no idea whether they will use different materials here. I heard XUV 500 uses different sheet metal for the export variant and may be renault too might use the same strategy.
pjegadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2012, 22:10   #32
BHPian

O.T alert
So sad to hear about the possibility of double standards when it comes to quality and safety of the cars made for Indians.
This is where we expect our government to step in and do their job. Some day i guess.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 12:06   #33
j76
BHPian

Have you checked whether Renault has a bull bar or a nudge guard as an accessory for the Duster ?
Considering that the front bumper end requires some fortification, this might be a good thing. Please do check how it impacts the vehicles airbags detection system if you are considering a nudge bar or a bull bar.
j76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2012, 13:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by j76 View Post
Have you checked whether Renault has a bull bar or a nudge guard as an accessory for the Duster ?
Considering that the front bumper end requires some fortification, this might be a good thing. Please do check how it impacts the vehicles airbags detection system if you are considering a nudge bar or a bull bar.
I will check it for sure sir.

I went on a trip to avalanche and mudhumalai, total trip 1000 kms and around 250 kms ghat road and 150 kms forest roads. The vehicle gave me a different experiance, myself or my friends never felt tired. On the last day we travelled from 5:00 am till 12:30 am next day but got up 5:00 am next morning without any complaints. Ofcourse the vehicle was a lucky one with 3 sloth bear sightings, a couple of good bird shots. I missed good snaps as i was on wheels but no regrets, duster returned 14 kmpl driving in ghat and foresr roads 40%. Image clicked by my friend.
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-20121026_13.50.41.jpg
pjegadeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 20:31   #35
BHPian

Could you please sharing details of your insurance. Things like which provider, what items it covered (zero dep etc.) and how much it cost you.

Thanks in advance.
sumeshmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:56   #36
BHPian

I sold my duster, it has done 1,17,000 kms in 3 years. Had certain issues like AC not cooling when idling or in slow speed while driving in cities but worked perfectly in very hot sun at Highway speeds. The dealer insisted on changing the compressor for Rs. 60,000/-, then some sound from the suspension which i did not check, a noise from drive shaft which was said to be normal by the dealer. Also i was informed that 120k Km service will cost Rs. 30,000/-. Our innova which we use as a spare car almost 12 years old and done 3,50,000 kms works perfect free of issues. Renault let down with reliability issues so spending more than Rs. 100k for a 3 year old car i felt better to let it go. Only feeling is the suspension no vehicles can match it. First booked a creta SX(O) diesel but cancelled and got advance refund, then after a month i booked for diesel SX+ with Auto gear box got it delivered within 3 weeks of booking. Had a bad experience with Verna but i got tempted hope i will not regret
pjegadeesh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2015, 13:31   #37
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
First booked a creta SX(O) diesel but cancelled and got advance refund, then after a month i booked for diesel SX+ with Auto gear box got it delivered within 3 weeks of booking. Had a bad experience with Verna but i got tempted hope i will not regret
Here's wishing you miles of happy drives on the new Creta acquisition Looking forward to your review of the same!

BTW, didn't you consider the XUV (now that most niggles are sorted), the S-Cross or the Duster AWD ?
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 19:56   #38
BHPian

My ride after the Duster was Hyundai creta SX+ Automatic.

I was pretty busy with my profession so i was unable to write my ownership review of Hyundai creta but drove 50000 kms in 15 months and though the suspension was not as good as the Duster and the ground clearance was not as good as Duster, creta was practical with all useful futures, comfortable seats with better leg room. I am a hobby photographer and the creta solved the purpose when i go little off road.

Drove 6000 kms in 10 days for a trip from my place down south near madurai to Madhya Pradesh and it was a comfortable trip. THE BRAKES of the CRETA was INADEQUATE and i don't know why Hyundai doesn't address this, i have owned Accent CRDi, Verna CRDI, I20 CRDI all of them had the same issue of inadequate brakes.

It was quite unfortunate that my creta was involved in an major accident but i was safe with few bruises thanks to the SEAT BELT. The vehicle toppled sideways and turned 180 degrees and according to my insurance agent it seems it will be a total loss.

Then began my search for Creta replacement and was planning initially to wait for Volkswagen Tiguan. My father did send his Merc for me to drive till i buy a new one and hence i decided to buy my replacement immediately so that i can send back my father's car as he was travelling in an Innova.

My mind said Toyota Fortuner but all my car enthusiast friends suggested Ford Endeavour, then came a concept of buying Audi Q3/BMW X1. Ruled out Audi Q3 due to cabin space but X1 was spacious and suspension was better but road noise and ground clearance was an issue. I felt i cannot take an BMW with low GC for my birding trips and my Skoda superb or Polo will also not solve the purpose. Hence decided to go ahead with Fortuner/Endeavour.

I decided to go for a 4*4 with AT and Endeavour with loads of futures was a better choice and the drive was better compared to Fortuner.

Endeavour Advantages:
1) Loads of useful futures like Sunroof, Apple/Android play, electric fold 3rd row seats, all time 4 wheel drive option.
2) Better GC
3) Better SUV stance
4) Better engine with low NVH

Fortuner Advantages:

1) Toyota Reliability
2) Better seats
3) Toyota service
4) Resale value
5) Better mileage

My mind said Fortuner as i plan to keep it quite long and my travel per year will be approximately 40000 kms minimum.

I booked White Pearl Toyota Fortuner 4*4 AT and Anamalais Toyota has promised to deliver the vehicle in next month schedule as the vehicles for this month has already been allotted. Hope i will get it sooner

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 12th February 2017 at 20:00. Reason: bold letters added for highlighting
pjegadeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 20:59   #39
Team-BHP Support

Sorry for your loss! You have moved on from a Duster to a Creta to an Fortuner! And wow 50K in 15 months!

You pretty much live in your car! No wonder you need to get the best safety kit out there!

Jokes apart, really good hear that you you were all safe and sound after the mishap.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 22:26   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
I booked White Pearl Toyota Fortuner 4*4 AT and Anamalais Toyota has promised to deliver the vehicle in next month schedule as the vehicles for this month has already been allotted. Hope i will get it sooner
Hi, i wasn't able to reply to your PM as for some reason the PM is not going saying you are not accepting PM's hence replying to your query on this thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh
I have an issue with my new Toyota fortuner the "LED Headlights are not adequate in opposite traffic scenario" . In case of four lane highway the lights are okay as we don't have any opposite lights due to the concrete boulders/plants in-between. Then i checked with three other Fortuner owners they too have the same complaint, to which the dealers simply say no one else complained. Then my friend lodged complaint to Toyota directly by mail and they direct to the dealer and he gets the same old reply from the dealer. Then when insisting on the problem he got a reply that we have maintained the Indian Motor vehicle standards by the dealer. But we do drive cars for the past 30 years and when other manufacturers vehicles and even their old innova which has run 3,50,000 kms has better lighting their reply is evasive. So by refusing to solve this issue Toyota is putting the lives of its customers into danger by providing inadequate lighting. The light seems to focus low and due to auto levelling the lights are unadjustable by the customers. People driving fortuner in cities and four lane will not be able to feel it so they take advantage of it and instead of providing a proper solution they make us feel Toyota is no different from other manufacturers
To be honest there is no issue with the LED headlights, nor with the brightness nor the throw. Your concern is valid with every car in this situation (single lane driving & cars coming from the opposite side). The problem is with the attitude of the people who drive in high beam on such highways. Also Toyota may not have any solution to this, nor will they increase intensity of their existing headlight setup as that will blind the opposite person and he may bang into you. So here are some of the things you can do;

1) Upgrade the fog lamps to brighter bulbs
2) Upgrade the fog lamps to LED
3) Install LED bar
4) Drive more carefully

All the best

Last edited by karan561 : 12th May 2017 at 22:40.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2017, 07:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Hi, i wasn't able to reply to your PM as for some reason the PM is not going saying you are not accepting PM's hence replying to your query on this thread here.

To be honest there is no issue with the LED headlights, nor with the brightness nor the throw. Your concern is valid with every car in this situation (single lane driving & cars coming from the opposite side). The problem is with the attitude of the people who drive in high beam on such highways. Also Toyota may not have any solution to this, nor will they increase intensity of their existing headlight setup as that will blind the opposite person and he may bang into you. So here are some of the things you can do;

1) Upgrade the fog lamps to brighter bulbs
2) Upgrade the fog lamps to LED
3) Install LED bar
4) Drive more carefully

All the best
Sir i missed this reply i am sorry, i drive with the stock headlights only in case of all my vehicles and never had such problems. Also I drive E-class Merc with LED headlights for which i don't complain. If Mercedes can abide the law with providing adequate lighting using LED headlights why not Toyota??
pjegadeesh is offline   Reply With Quote