Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 30th September 2012, 16:06   #1
BHPian

Default Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust

Departing the Linea:

I was very happy when I bought my linea, but then i had problem with the ground clearance and A.S.S which was unable to rectify few niggles. Then came an option to increase the ground clearance with the suspension package and I did it but was not happy with the service people who were incapable of solving even small issues in my car. Also I had back pain and felt that the car with a very pleasant ride had poor seats which did not offer back support and I was reluctant to remove the Stanley leather and add better lumbar support as it has done 95000 kms in 27 months of ownership. Finally decided to sell the car against the wish of my son.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-packed-3.html (White Linea Diesel - Emotionally Packed)

Decision Making:

I am passionate about wildlife and a hobby photographer, sometimes i missed an SUV with better GC during the wild trips. XUV 500 was in my mind since it was launched as my next ride and took a test drive and decided to go for it. Made a booking and the delivery date was given as 3 months but was promised to deliver faster with some formalities(recommendations). So made a booking, but within a week the duster was Launched. And friends who came to know that I have booked XUV 500 started telling horror stories of the initial niggles, clutch failures, Inadequate braking and bumpy ride but I stood up with my decision. Then I checked the Team BHP ownership reviews which clearly confirmed all the issues. But I was waiting for my XUV 500 W8 delivery but the manager at the dealership who told recommendations will help initially said he was helpless and Mahindra policy didn't allow him to deliver the vehicle as promised. In the mean while I took a test drive of 110 PS Renault duster RXZ and was extremely happy with the vehicle ride. Frustrated with the false promises I decided to cancel my XUV 500 W8 and when I called them to cancel my booking I was told my vehicle was ready, I simply said no since I made a booking for 110 PS Renault duster RXZ. XUV 500 with better features, bigger engine, better space cannot be compared to that of duster but three points went in dusters favour ride quality, mileage & niggles of XUV 500.

Delivery process:

I got a call on 20/9/2012 from the dealership that the vehicle was ready for delivery and took delivery on 27/9/2012 and i was told only mud flops were available. The Sales executive told that the vehicle air pressure will be 40 PSI when they receive from the factory but he will deliver the vehicle reducing it to 32 psi. Since I live 300 Kms away from the coimbatore dealership I decided to put an extra hella horn immediately at SKB Auto Coimbatore.

Initial experience:

The drive was around 75 kms in four lane expressway and remaining 225 kms in NH roads. The drive was simply superb the vehicle absorbed all the undulations with ease, felt good. But the vehicle was unstable at speeds beyond 100 Kms/hr. I was little worried about it, then checked the air pressure next day and it was 40 psi and understood that the sales guy forgot to reduce the air pressure. I filled the tyres with Nitrogen 30 psi. Most important observation with 40 psi the vehicle was never bumpy.

Pros:
1) Engine is smooth.
2) It proves to be a highway cruiser after Turbo is put into action.
3) A/C chills within a few seconds in hot weather, rear A/C also chills the bones
4) Ride quality is unmatchable and better than most of sedans
5) Seats offers good support and decent leg room
6) Ground clearance high with smaller turning radius
7) Cornering was good with better road grip
8) The mileage is around 18 km/L

Cons:

1) Turbo lag is an irritant at bumper to bumper traffic
2) Height adjustment just 2 settings
3) Audio system not upto the mark
4) Plastics looks cheap and the door handles gives very bad impression
5) Rear A/C unit makes it a pure 4 seater than a 5 seater
6) Wind noise audible inside the cabin at Higher speed
7) Renault ergonomics is completely different - central locking switch, mirror adjustment switch at odd locations

I have fit the following accessories when the vehicle went for the first service at coimbatore on 8/10/2012 .

Accessories:

1) Grey Colour leather seats including door pads by Genous Leather Bangalore fitted at SKB Coimbatore, the thickness of the leather is 1.1 mm.
2) Extra hella horn.
3) Floor mats smoked black (OEM was unavailable so bought it outside)
4) Full mat foot ball black.
5) Sun film with 70% heat reduction (transparent one)
6) Front speakers replaced and twitters added, I postponed my idea to add sub woofer as it may reduce the trunk space.
7) Audio system replaced with caska India DVD player unit with blue tooth connection and Navigation. The reverse sensor which comes along with the system was replaced by Reverse camera and i retained the reverse sensors which comes along with the vehicle. The work was done by the dealership and risk of warranty getting void has been avoided.
8) Under chase rubber coating and paint protection done at the dealership.
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-front.jpg
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-side.jpg
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-front-seat.jpg
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-rear-seats.jpg
Center arm rest bottle holders closed with leather, sent the driver for fitting, should find a way to have the bottle holders intact
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-rear-armrest.jpg
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-door-pad.jpg
Navigation
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-navigation.jpg
Tweeter and GPS receiver
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-twitter-gps-receiver.jpg
Reverse camera has no guide line while reversing and its a minus
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-reverse-camera.jpg
Full Mat
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-full-mat.jpg
Smoked black cut mat
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-cutmat.jpg
Total Mileage
Name:  total.jpg
Views: 10707
Size:  182.6 KB
Trip meter
Name:  run.jpg
Views: 11108
Size:  176.5 KB
To filling station
Name:  tofill.jpg
Views: 11031
Size:  173.8 KB
So from the above i can approximate a mileage of minimum 18.5 KMPL.

The only concern is the flimsy plastic bumper and sheet metal of the Duster which was proved by my friend who reversed his i10 and banged the duster parked behind his car. Duster plastic bumper on the right hand side went inside to the size of a soft ball, but got released by itself. But the right side fender was bent and the i10 remained perfect without even any scratch marks on it.
Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust-damaged.jpg

Last edited by pjegadeesh : 11th October 2012 at 18:37. Reason: Only pictures pending
pjegadeesh is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 16:36   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster : Blowing the Dust

Congrats on your new purchase. Wish you many many miles of safe driving.

While most of what you said matched with the previous reports, the 'pro' to NVH is surprising. Many owners have complained about wind noise seeping in through the door gaps at 80+ speeds. Has Renault corrected the problem?
anujatwork is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 17:56   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the Duster! At first I thought that you sold your linea pretty soon; but 95k kms is a good mileage for replacement that also for a car just 27 months old. IMO the top spec Dusters were already priced higher & with the recent price increase the pricing has become insane.

I think you should change the speakers to better quality ones.
Wish you happy and safe motoring ahead.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 17:57   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your buy man. Wish you many happy miles.

Quick questions

1 when did you book? (I have also booked from Coimbatore on 5th September)

2 where have ordered your leather seats from & also the cost ?

3 Did you take the insurance from the dealer or from outside ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
motorhead1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2012, 19:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjegadeesh View Post
Also I had back pain and felt that the car with very pleasant ride had poor seats which did not offer
back support and I was reluctant to remove the Stanley leather and provide better lumbar support and decided to sell the car which
had already done 95000 kms in 27 months of ownership.
95K in a little more than 2 years ! Wow! You must be on the road all the time !

Jokes apart congrats on the new vehicle. And since as I see your location as TN, you must be enjoying good roads most of the time.
And Duster would be amazing to drive in all the these places.

Expecting to see nice snaps of the Duster in the wild ! Any wild life snapping trips done so far with the Duster?
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 07:10   #6
SDP
Team-BHP Support

pjegadeesh, congratulations on the new Duster!
95K in 27months is amazing!
If you use the Duster in a similar fashion, it would take possibly 15 days to move this thread from "Initial Ownership" to "Long-term Ownership" section.

Congratulations once again. Enjoy the ride and drive safe.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 07:34   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. Wish you many many miles of safe driving.
We are seeing many Duster ownership reviews here - first successful launch for Renault-India.

Guess you will folow up this report with pictures especially the interiors.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 10:38   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your duster. Guess the pics will be up once its all decked up.

95k in 2 years was pretty amazing. Wish you had updated your Linea thread a bit more to describe your experience over the two years.

Wish you a hassle free ownership.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 18:07   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Congrats on your buy man. Wish you many happy miles.

Quick questions

1 when did you book? (I have also booked from Coimbatore on 5th September)

2 where have ordered your leather seats from & also the cost ?

3 Did you take the insurance from the dealer or from outside ?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Congradulations on your booking sir its a good choice. It was booked within 10 days of the launch, the leather seats were ordered by SKB auto accessories shop from genous leather Bangalore. I took Insurance from outside sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
95K in a little more than 2 years ! Wow! You must be on the road all the time !

Jokes apart congrats on the new vehicle. And since as I see your location as TN, you must be enjoying good roads most of the time.
And Duster would be amazing to drive in all the these places.

Expecting to see nice snaps of the Duster in the wild ! Any wild life snapping trips done so far with the Duster?
Thank you sir and yes we enjoy good roads in TN but took the duster to nearby forest, where there was no road but just a Bullock cart pathway with undulations and the Duster took it with ease but during rainy season the Duster without four wheel drive will find it difficult. I will post my images soon sir

Last edited by suhaas307 : 11th October 2012 at 20:09. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Please use MULTI QUOTE option. :)
pjegadeesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 20:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Note From Team-BHP Support-Staff: Thread moved from Assembly Line to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports section. Thanks for sharing!

Pjegadeesh

I've got to say, the Duster has grown on me and I've started to like it very much. And for someone like you who notches up the miles in almost no time, the car makes great sense. The ride-quality is what will help you breeze past 95,000 kilometers without too many back-aches.

Also, I'm banking on you to regularly update your Ownership report. It would certainly help people make an informed decision when they're out to buy a new car.

Congratulations and drive safe!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the purchase Pjegadeesh. Frankly speaking, yours is the first white duster I am seeing and I am indeed liking it as the Duster looks quite neat in this shade. The leather padded doors are giving a "Lamborghini feel"" to me . Interiors look superb with all the leather work.

95k kms in two years on a linea is surely amazing. You will certainly enjoy being in an SUV for all your long trips.

I wish you many happy miles of motoring with the duster.

Take Care and Drive Safe!
dZired is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:20   #12
BHPian

Congratulations on your duster jegadeesh. I am glad a lot of people are seeing the value in Duster
Quick question. On the Caska DVD navigation system. Did you get it yourself and got it installed by the dealer or the dealer himself had this in the accessory list.
The dealer in Chennai kind of discouraged not to go for it and was pushing the simple reverse parking sensor to me.
How much the Caska system cost? I too am very much interested in getting one. thanks
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:42   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your new Duster sir! I have to say, the grey leather seats and the door inserts look darn good.

The bumper fiasco is a little surprising! You expect a car like this to be more tough. Also after Logan's build quality, you have high expectations from Renault.

Also 18.5 kmpl is too good! Happy motoring. Surely lots of amazing miles await you! Cheers.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 22:02   #14
BHPian

Lovely pics jegadeesh. Beast looks imposing and the white shade just accentuates it's majestic nature. What's worrying is the way bumper went it at minimal impact! In fact the only thing that troubled me & my parents when we initially went check the beast out was the tinny sound that we heard when the door closed. It raised doubts regarding the built quality but were assured by the SA that it is solely due to lack of rubber beading.

The other query is similar to thalavoys. What's your impression regarding caska ? Quality, cost, have you used navigation, how accurate is it ?

Thanks

Cheers
motorhead1981 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 23:43   #15
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Its raining Dusters in Team BHP!!!

Congrats on your purchase Jegadeesh. The leather seats look very premium and comfortable. I'm sure the Duster will serve you well.

Drive Safe
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote