Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 7th December 2012, 23:11   #31
BHPian

Default re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi, 1 Year & 20,000 KM Review

Excellent review mate. Nice write up.

Hows the car after fitting the tuning box. How much did it cost you?
vaisakhr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 23:35   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
Hows the car after fitting the tuning box. How much did it cost you?
Actually, I am not feeling much difference. The drivability has gone up a notch. The 2nd and 3rd is more drivable now. The box was taken from my friend' 2007 Swift LDi that we had before. There was a marked difference in behavior with and without the box in that car.

But I feel very subtle difference now. I don't know whether the box is in bypass mode. The change in drivability could be due to Greens filter. Planning to take the car to Pete's someday. The average FE has gone up. The MID used to show 17.1 earlier, now its at 17.3.

Kungipalu celebrated 1st birthday in the 4th week of last month. The current mileage is 18880. That reminds me, I need to take a PUC certificate soon.

Last edited by deetjohn : 13th December 2012 at 23:37. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012, 11:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Actually, I am not feeling much difference. The drivability has gone up a notch. The 2nd and 3rd is more drivable now. The box was taken from my friend' 2007 Swift LDi that we had before. There was a marked difference in behavior with and without the box in that car.
New Swift uses synthetic oil and the old ones uses normal mineral oil. Is it because of the engine oil by any chance ? .

Anyways , i guess its better to gave it checked once by them only .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012, 07:45   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
New Swift uses synthetic oil and the old ones uses normal mineral oil. Is it because of the engine oil by any chance ? .
I don't think that can be a factor. In fact I think the engine should fare better with synthetic due to lesser frictional losses.

Besides, I have used only mineral oil for changes. Our car is from the initial lot which came with mineral oil from the factory.
Old 6th January 2013, 20:51   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Kungipalu covered 20,000 KM today.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040829.jpg

The Pete's sticker found place under the wing mirror. I hope it remain inconspicuous. The last sticker that we had on the old Swift was flicked from my company parking. The sticker is of amazing quality.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040834.jpg

I got my first ever puncture last month. It was a not so small screw on the left rear tyre. I normally check the tyre pressure during every fill or just before long drives. Missed it this time and I paid the price. I was running on B roads at lower speeds for days and the tyre was almost fully flat by the time I noticed. I fixed the tyre and mounted it on the 5th alloy and made it the spare. The fresh tyre from the boot is doing service at left rear now.

Update on the PSI box.
I took the car to Pete's last weekend. I had a feeling the box was not making its presence felt by that much in Kungipalu. The helpful fellas there checked the box and found it to be working perfectly. Then, we made a collective decision to run the car without the box for a while. And the 20K service is nearing. So, I am running the car without the box for the last 500 odd KM.

The engine noticeably quiet without the box. Sometimes, when cruising at 70ish in 5th, the engine is hardy audible. The MRFs also lend a helping hand here. The small drivability gain is still there. So, I guess its the Greens cotton filter working here. The difference with and without the box is really felt after crossing 2000 rpm. With the box, the engine reaches 3500 in no time once the turbo kicks in. Now, without the box, the DDiS is not as free revving and a bit hesitant.

This week, I will take the car for 5th service. Will stick to the mineral oil and decide on the box afterwards.
Old 15th January 2013, 00:05   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Angry 20,000 KM Service. One harrowing experience at Indus, Vytilla.

Had given Kungipalu for the 20K service at Indus, Vytilla last Friday. And it turned out to be a tormenting affair.

I had 3 complaints besides the regular service. My driver seat was making a clicking sound under lateral loads. One of the screws for the airfilter box was rotating freely as the washer/ nut was missing. And 2 plastic rivets on either side of the tow hook of the rear bumper was missing which made the number plate to rattle at times.

I normally hang around the car during service to see/ check what all they do. But couldn't do it on Friday due to other commitments and that turned out to be a big mistake.

The car was ready Fridy night and I went there on Saturday morning to take delivery. There were a few swirl marks on the bonnet which I pointed to the SA. The total bill was INR 7800. I changed the left rear brake light as it had hole in the reverse light pod when it nudged the wall at home. It was making the tail light fog up on the inside and was looking very unpleasent. The tail light came to 1100 (approx.) with fitting charges. I had opted for mineral oil and it was charged for 3.1 L. The SA told me they have greased and tightened the driver seat.

MASS bills have a recommendations section where the SA note down the works that is to be done in the future. "Dicky pad setting" was written there and when asked about it, the SA said they had done some work to fix a rattle from the tailgate. I was a bit puzzled. First of all, I didn't notice any such rattle and SA didn't know exactly what was done. And why is it in the recommendations if its already done?

Besides, there was sticker on the windscreen which stated the next service was at 25080, exactly 5K on the Odo from now. I removed the sticker then and there. The SA was like why are you removing it? I told him the service interval for the new Swift is 10K and he was not ready to budge. I asked him to check the service manual. It looks like a big scam to me.

Anyways, I left for home and went about cleaning the car. The MASS wash/ wipe is strictly average and needs a bit of work always.

The following things caught my attention.
  • The rubber mats were wet underneath and made the carpet a bit damp. The guys have put them back in without drying.
  • And they had applied some sort of a super glue to fix 2 pieces of foam on the plastic trim on the C pillar holding the parcel tray where it meets the plastic trim on the C pillar. It was an awful job and the excess glue was dropped all over the plastic cladding. It looked like they were fiddling with the position of the foam. The plastic trim had glue and small pieces of the foam at 2 different places. And foam was cut very crudely from some other bigger piece. And why can they not use double sided tape? It will give flexibility to reverse the process and will look better as well. And I had no idea why this was done. Also, the tailgate was now not closing properly as this piece of foam was coming in the way. It was shutting properly when I had given it for service.
  • Then I checked the oil dip stick and I was in for another surprise. The oil level was 3/4 between the max and min. It was a quarter down from the max level. A little lower than the max limit is okay but this was a lot lower for my comfort.
  • Also, I found on my way home that the clicking sound from the driver side door was very much there.
On Sunday, I pulled out the carpet from the boot for cleaning and found the small foam piece which holds it flat over a dip next to the spare wheel was missing. It was actually cut off from the carpet. And I realized to my horror it was piece of this foam that the guys at Indus used for their shoddy fix on the plastic trim. I was livid. How can they cut/ remove something from the car? If something is there, it is there for a purpose. I now had to take the car back to Indus come Monday.

Today morning, I did that and the SA was on leave. I rang him and he made another SA to attend me. I had parked the car next to the reception and by the time I explained everything that I found out a small crowd had gathered. I was emotional but kept my cool. The SA asked for my permission to take the car into the floor for fixing the issues.

I waited for around 30 minutes and there was no sign of anyone. I walked into the shop floor and saw a bad sight. The car was lying there with the plastic trim, rear seat and the rubber beading removed. I hate to do it in any car. They never fix it back properly and it is the source of all rattles. And they had taken the plastic trim away for the removal of the glue. Another technician was fixing the driver seat.

I quizzed the guys on the oil level. They checked the level and said it is missing only about 150ml and is done deliberately as per instructions from Maruti to not spoil the turbo/ intercooler. I asked them then why was I charged for 3.1L and everyone was silent. (Does anyone here know this? Will 3/4 the max level be only 150ml off?)

After this, I waiting for another while before I saw the plastic trims being taken to the paint booth. I interrupted the fellow and they had applied putty over the surface where the foam was stuck. The black trim now was white over there. Their plan was to paint it black.

I firmly asked them to not to fix it by painting. The SA came over and said they will order the plastic piece from Maruti and this is a temporary fix. I asked them to not paint it and fix it as it is and they obliged. Indus have assured me that they will replace the 2 plastic trim with a brand new pieces FOC. I don't have anything in writing and I am trusting them on their word.

I will keep a mail ready for Indus and Maruti and keep you all posted with updates. Overall, a very painful experience from Indus.

Last edited by deetjohn : 15th January 2013 at 00:16. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 09:48   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi, 1 Year & 20,000 KM Review

A very careless job by the Indus people here. Do send a note to MSIL Customer Care and keep them informed about this bad experience at their dealership. I have had similar experience with my friend's Manza when I had taken it for service. Its a small surprise to see MSIL dealership come down to that level with their job.

IMO, the mineral oil are never safe to be run for more than 5K KMs. This is from my personal experience, the semi-synthetic oils are usually run for 10K KMs, the synthetics have a service interval of 15K which you commonly see in the Fords & Fiats. Running mineral oil over 5K is a stretch!

On the oil level, if the guage is showing 3/4th of the oil level there is good amount of oil missing. I would guess its well above 500ml thats missing! If they are doing this, there is a little oil mafia under works Indus. Do report this to Maruti!

I know about this thing where overfilling the oil can easily bust the turbo in the DDiS, but I still think thats for the old gen Swifts. The new ones I would assume Maruti would have taken care, atleast adjusting the oil level indicator stalk changing the MAX oil level indicator to something safe

Keep us posted if you are sending an email to Maruti!

Last edited by anachronix : 15th January 2013 at 09:49.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 10:24   #38
BHPian

Indus motors is really going down the drain. I also experienced their pathetic service in two of their service stations in Thrissur and no longer goes there. BRD service is better though they are 10KMs away from town.
Note : Almost all MASS push for that 5k service. May be to meet their revenue targets. I ignore such calls.

Last edited by ontheroad : 15th January 2013 at 10:28.
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2013, 10:43   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
IMO, the mineral oil are never safe to be run for more than 5K KMs.

On the oil level, if the guage is showing 3/4th of the oil level there is good amount of oil missing. I would guess its well above 500ml thats missing! If they are doing this, there is a little oil mafia under works Indus. Do report this to Maruti!
I am going to stick to the 5K interval. But that's only for the oil + filter change. It should come to 1.3K max inclusive of labour. But what these guys are fishing for is a service where they can add another 1000 to the bill by checking brakes, suspension, door, wiper, air etc.

I inquired about the oil level. I was told the difference between max and min is about 800 ml. Not too sure about the authenticity. It will be nice if the owner's manual carried all these technical details. I am going to keep a close watch on the dip stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Indus motors is really going down the drain. I also experienced their pathetic service in two of their service stations in Thrissur and no longer goes there. BRD service is better though they are 10KMs away from town.
Note : Almost all MASS push for that 5k service. May be to meet their revenue targets. I ignore such calls.
True. And they always try to push stuff like throttle body cleaning etc to jack up the bill. It is always better to stick to the job specified in the owner's manual.
Old 15th January 2013, 10:55   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I've too had bad service experience with Indus, that too on the very first service of my ex-AStar. Stopped going there from then onwards.

This happened 2 years ago
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1871976 (Maruti Suzuki A.S.S. Review by owners)
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2013, 09:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Indus replaced both plastic trim inside the boot on Tuesday. The customer service manager owned up their mistake and apologized for their screw up when I took the car there.

I inspected the new trim and it looked good and gave them the go ahead. The original trim has at least 6 or 7 foam padding on the inside wherever it comes in contact with the body shell stuck with double side scotch tape. The new didn't have any. But it had markings on the inside at the correct spots. The guys moved all the foam padding to the new trim before fitting. They did a good job and so far there aren't any rattles from the inside.

The clicking sound from the driver seat is still there. I think it is coming from the either the recliner or the height adjust. Indus doesn't have an answer for this now. The customer service manager assured me that they will take it up with Maruti and keep me posted.

They also washed/ vacuumed the car thoroughly after the work was completed. I feel good that they were accountable and showed good support throughout. And the positive factor is that I have made a good relationship with the guys there.

Kungipalu is feeling good overall. I put the cotton filter back in after the service and there is marked difference in performance at higher RPMs. I may not fit the Pete's box back in. Think it is better suited for the first generation DDiS.
Old 30th January 2013, 23:48   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Did a road trip to Valparai over the weekend. Took the Athirapilly Road through the Sholayar forest on the way. Initially, the road surface is quite good and pretty narrow, but it deteriorated towards the end.

We took the Pollachi route on the way back. The route is awesome and very scenic. The tea plantations on both sides go on and on.

A teaser.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-img_3715.jpg

We stopped at a road side shack here for black tea. It spot is amazing and the cookies were yummy.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-img_3837.jpg

The clicking noise from the driver seat has increased. I think it is coming from the rails. The hairpins on the way to Pollachi didn't help at all.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:49   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to know your ride is doing good. Even we had some really bad experiences with Indus, Kottayam. I stick to AVG for my services and feels over all better. There are small issues at times, but overall they keep me happy.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 10:35   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked out a couple of Z variants with height adjust. They all have the clicking noise of varying degree when you apply lateral load on the seat. The front passenger seat is rock solid. So, I think its got to do with the height adjust. Thinking about writing to MSIL. Now, I almost anticipate the click when I am about to hit a corner and the seat delivers. It is annoying and concerning.

The current mileage is 22000. And I am getting some squealing from the front ZVTVs. This was never there till now. Thinking of changing all four tyres to XM2 at 30K. The best rate that I got so far is 5000 per tyre.

I added a couple of MGA rubber strips on the rear bumper, the line just above the fog light. They are in fact door guards and are quite small look like parking sensors on the rear bumper. I also added the actual bumper guards (the compact all black ones) on the lower side of the front bumper under the fog lights. The are very subtle and looks good.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:40   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I added a couple of MGA rubber strips on the rear bumper, the line just above the fog light. They are in fact door guards and are quite small look like parking sensors on the rear bumper. I also added the actual bumper guards (the compact all black ones) on the lower side of the front bumper under the fog lights. The are very subtle and looks good.
Thank you sir for promptly updating the thread.
I have also booked a ZDi yesterday and the dealer promised to deliver the car latest by the 15th of next month.
Request you to post some pics of the car after the installation of those rubber strips and bumper guards.
I am a newbie to diesel .Can you please share the info on how one must drive during the run in period ?
VishnuNarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote