Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th April 2014, 09:47   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Been a long time buddy and No update?
The Swift is doing well. We completed 40 K yesterday.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140424_001.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 15:59   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

Got the 40k service done. Stuck with mineral oil and it costed me 6.2K in all. Balancing, rotation and alignment was done outside at DBS for 700 bucks.
Old 4th May 2014, 19:57   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Got the 40k service done. Stuck with mineral oil and it costed me 6.2K in all.
Even with Mineral oil why has the bill come up to 6.2K? IIRC all fluids are changed, Right?

When are you shifting to Synthetic oil? Any specific reason for sticking to mineral even after clocking 40K kms?

My Swift ZDi has completed the 10K kms service and Shell synthetic oil was filled-in.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 11:32   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even with Mineral oil why has the bill come up to 6.2K? IIRC all fluids are changed, Right?......
6.2K is a very reasonable rate for a 40K service. I remember paying 6.5K in 2010 or so (with mineral oil).

Quote:
... When are you shifting to Synthetic oil? Any specific reason for sticking to mineral even after clocking 40K kms?

My Swift ZDi has completed the 10K kms service and Shell synthetic oil was filled-in...
Why synthetic? I do NOT think it's required; especially for a 10K drain interval. Just another money making trick; albeit with a better refinement. I do NOT think Maruti recommends synthetic oil; the MA$$ will be happier to do it for the extra margin though
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 19:18   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Why synthetic? I do NOT think it's required; especially for a 10K drain interval. Just another money making trick; albeit with a better refinement. I do NOT think Maruti recommends synthetic oil; the MA$$ will be happier to do it for the extra margin though
For the new swift, Maruti recommends synthetic by default but allows mineral if the customer does not want synthetic. Do you stick to mineral with a change interval of 10k? BTW, my 30k bill came to 7.5k with the mandated EGR cleaning. Infer 40k service does not have EGR but has transmission oil and fuel filter change.
Sridhar K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 19:32   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

6.2K is a very reasonable rate for a 40K service. I remember paying 6.5K in 2010 or so (with mineral oil).
I paid 5.5K for the 10K kms service.

Quote:
Why synthetic? I do NOT think it's required; especially for a 10K drain interval.
All new Swift D are coming with factory filled synthetic oil and the interval is 10K kms.

AFAIK, the drain interval is:

Mineral Oil - 5K; Synthetic oil - 10K kms.

Quote:
I do NOT think Maruti recommends synthetic oil
Maruti is recommending synthetic oil and they recommend Shell oil 0W40 and 5W40 (Fully Synthetic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
Infer 40k service does not have EGR but has transmission oil and fuel filter change.
All even number services (20K; 40K; 60K; 80K and so on) have all the fluids and filters replaced whereas in the odd numbers (30K; 50K; 70K; 90K) ones have mainly engine oil and air filter element replaced.

The even number service is generally costlier than odd numbers.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th May 2014 at 19:37.
Old 5th May 2014, 20:19   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For the new swift, Maruti recommends synthetic by default but allows mineral if the customer does not want synthetic...
That's what I am trying to say. Maruti themselves will agree mineral oil would just do fine.

Quote:
...Do you stick to mineral with a change interval of 10k? ...
I have always. But I do a air filter clean up every 3K intervals.

Quote:
...Mineral Oil - 5K; Synthetic oil - 10K kms...
Even mineral oil service interval is 10K for the previous gen swift. For this very reason I feel synthetic oil drain at 10K kms is a simple rip off rather than anything else. What's the point in spending 3-4 times more for a synthetic oil for the same drain interval. I would rather have mineral oil changed every 5K kms for a good refinement and save cash.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th May 2014 at 20:20.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 21:49   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would rather have mineral oil changed every 5K kms for a good refinement and save cash.
Your are right but what I just mentioned was MASS recommendation for the New Swift's. I am not finding the link to the post in the thread where Maruti had issued a circular for New Swift D engines that will be filled in with synthetic oils from factory.

I actually prefer the mineral oil with a draining interval of 5K kms but with my running of 3200 - 3400 kms a month I am not able to make that time to go get the oil changed at my known FNG. Parts and oil is not an issue but time is my problem, hence I sick to what MASS says.

Anurag.
Old 6th May 2014, 12:32   #99
BHPian

Hey deetjohn,

Did you find the decrease in Ground clearance noticeable with 195/60 Michelin?
ank.nsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 10:39   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When are you shifting to Synthetic oil? Any specific reason for sticking to mineral even after clocking 40K kms?
Our Swift came with mineral oil from the factory. And I have maintained an interval of 5000 KM for new oil + filter ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Did you find the decrease in Ground clearance noticeable with 195/60 Michelin?
No noticeable difference in GC. The Swift is already sitting too tall. And the overall decrease in diameter is negligible (-1.05%) when you switch to 195/60. And I maintain 2 - 3 PSI higher with the Michelin than the MRF which aids the GC too.

The plus points are the high stability felt on highways, the improved stance of the car and easy treading over cracks on road due to the added width. The downside is the extra gap in the foot wells as the overall size of the tyre is small in the side profile.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The downside is the extra gap in the foot wells as the overall size of the tyre is small in the side profile.
Wheel wells are more open.

Can I know your comment on NVH with respect to the tyres and also how does it fare in rainy season as compared to competition?
ecosport rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 15:39   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our Swift came with mineral oil from the factory. And I have maintained an interval of 5000 KM for new oil + filter ever since.

No noticeable difference in GC. The Swift is already sitting too tall. And the overall decrease in diameter is negligible (-1.05%) when you switch to 195/60. And I maintain 2 - 3 PSI higher with the Michelin than the MRF which aids the GC too.
That is good to stick to mineral oil with the 5K km draining interval. Better for the engine also lighter on the pocket.

Do you follow the 2-3 psi more when cold tyre pressures or when warm?

Anurag.
Old 17th May 2014, 06:28   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Can I know your comment on NVH with respect to the tyres and also how does it fare in rainy season as compared to competition?
The tyres are very silent. And the wet grip is very good. But the highlight is the comfort. The tyres are soft, which you can feel when you go over potholes or lumpy speed breakers. And from what I have seen so far, its not at the cost of robustness or mileage.

Quote:
Do you follow the 2-3 psi more when cold tyre pressures or when warm?
But I have a pressure gauge at home, so its easy to achieve the required pressure when the tyres are cold. The average pressure nowadays is 33ish front and 31ish rear.
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 07:44   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The tyres are very silent. And the wet grip is very good. But the highlight is the comfort. The tyres are soft
I am thinking to go with Michelins when I change my tyres from stock though I'll be buying the stock specification tyres.

As you say it is soft, do you find any faster wear of the thread as compared to the MRF ZVTV? I have a heavy usage of 3500 kms a month so asking you.

Quote:
But I have a pressure gauge at home, so its easy to achieve the required pressure when the tyres are cold. The average pressure nowadays is 33ish front and 31ish rear.
Ya ya sorry forgot, you have a Michelin tyre pressure gauge.

I am following F = 32 psi and R = 30 psi (Cold tyre pressures). I am finding a drop of 2 psi every two weeks. What about you?

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th May 2014 at 07:45.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 07:58   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking to go with Michelins when I change my tyres from stock though I'll be buying the stock specification tyres.

As you say it is soft, do you find any faster wear of the thread as compared to the MRF ZVTV? I have a heavy usage of 3500 kms a month so asking you.
Yeah, 185/65 R15 XM2 is the best bet. The XM2 has high mileage reportedly. The guys at DBS, a tyre shop I visit frequently here told me the tyre is a hit with the taxi fellas and they get 60K out with ease. I have noticed XM2 in many cabs here. So, it should be true since the Michelins are expensive as well. In KL, many taxis are owner driven and taken good care of.

Quote:
I am following F = 32 psi and R = 30 psi (Cold tyre pressures). I am finding a drop of 2 psi every two weeks. What about you?
2 PSI is normal. It really depends on the roads and load on tyres.