Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 20th May 2014, 14:36   #106
BHPian

Default re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Your are right but what I just mentioned was MASS recommendation for the New Swift's. I am not finding the link to the post in the thread where Maruti had issued a circular for New Swift D engines that will be filled in with synthetic oils from factory.

I actually prefer the mineral oil with a draining interval of 5K kms but with my running of 3200 - 3400 kms a month I am not able to make that time to go get the oil changed at my known FNG. Parts and oil is not an issue but time is my problem, hence I sick to what MASS says.

Anurag.
Hey Anurag,

I too saw a similar circular,albeit it was sent by Fiat to MSIL, recommending the use of Full Synthetic 15W40 for all the applications of MJD. It also states that Fiat will not be responsible for any mechanical failure/issue arising due to usage of oil other than that recommended.However, this was sent when the new Swift came.

I wonder why has it not been implemented from day 1, if it has the potential to cause trouble.

On a similar note, when we gave our Swift for 1st paid service, the guy didn't even ask about the choice of oil. I questioned the SA, and the reply was, "Sir, only Mobil 1 Full Synth 15W40 for diesle vehicles due to the issued circular as well as the fact that the new vehicles are coming with that oil factory-filled."
Gran_Tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 13:46   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
It also states that Fiat will not be responsible for any mechanical failure/issue arising due to usage of oil other than that recommended.However, this was sent when the new Swift came.
I remember the circular, but it came many months after the new Swift was launched. And I do not recall anything regarding a statement by Fiat. Many new Swifts came out with mineral oil from the factory, ours was one of them. And MASS is not specific about the circular now regardless of what oil is in the engine. They leave the onus to the owner. I have always put mineral oil at an interval of 5K.

Back to our world and Kungipalu was all dirty due to inconsistent rains here this monsoon. I hadn't washed the car for close to a month, so took the car to 3M yesterday. The place was deserted in the morning and they did a very good job with the wash.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_001.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_002.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_003.jpg

And I also opted to cover lower portion of the rear bumper with a matte black vinyl and also the door edges with PPF. It was a very impulsive decision and I think it has come out well. The guy did it all with a free hand and the finish is exemplary. I was joined there by BHPians naveen.raju and dhanushmenon and they too liked it as well.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_004.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_005.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140628_006.jpg

I have also swapped the stock bulbs for park, cabin and rear number plate with LEDs. Will put up pictures later. Also, used the Formula 1 bug and tar remover today at home and now the paint feels super awesome to touch.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140629_001.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140629_002.jpg

Kungipalu is going about doing his business as usual of delivering miles and smiles with consistency. We are at 42K now.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2014, 21:44   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

A new sticker adorns Kungipalu now. Hope the big man goes from strength to strength.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140726_008.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20140726_007.jpg
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2014, 22:16   #109
BHPian

Hi,
Nice wash your Kungipalu got there!!! Looking spanking new and clean!!

Regarding the engine oils then, what mineral oil you are using ?
Gran_Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 23:41   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
Nice wash your Kungipalu got there!!! Looking spanking new and clean!!

Regarding the engine oils then, what mineral oil you are using ?
Glad you liked it. Hadn't seen this as post all this while, always quote to get an assured response

Used Total for the last change. And I should say its quite good. The engine is really very silent after the change.
Old 13th October 2014, 23:57   #111

Hi,

Have the XM2 affected the handling of the car as compared to the older MRF's?

Does the car handle quick lane changes with the soft compound of the tyre as good as the harder rubber?

How has been the wear in the XM2's so far?

Thanks
apurvapg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 11:12   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurvapg View Post
Have the XM2 affected the handling of the car as compared to the older MRF's?

Does the car handle quick lane changes with the soft compound of the tyre as good as the harder rubber?

How has been the wear in the XM2's so far?
Yes, the XM2 has soft side walls and got good grip. So, when you corner hard, it rolls a bit. If road surface is good, then harder tyres like Continental are better for having fun.

The wear rate is excellent. I think it will easily do 50K. The tread looks good. And so far, its been robust as well. I haven't had a single puncture till date and it even dismissed a few slabs with ease that I had to climb with butterflies in my stomach.

If you want a tyre that grips well and is comfortable and noiseless, look no further than XM2. Bad roads, this is tyre to have. It sends in very little shock to the cabin.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 10:52   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

The Odo reading is at 48k and I could sense a very light knocking sound coming from the front suspension while going over potholes from last week. Took the car to MASS yesterday and they found one of the stabilizer ball joint to be shot.

It costs a little more than INR 500 and they changed both joints (left and right) free of cost. No questions asked. Extended warranty rocks!

Name:  Suzuki_SX4_Stabilizer_Bar.jpg
Views: 16494
Size:  27.6 KB

Pic from Google.
Old 23rd January 2015, 06:32   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
It costs a little more than INR 500 and they changed both joints (left and right) free of cost. No questions asked. Extended warranty rocks!
Good to know that the problem has been solved, it is great on the part of Maruti to offer one of the best warranty coverage that covers even suspension till 60k kms.

Has the ride quality improved after this change? A swift owner on review thread has got the same part changed as he was facing issues with a noisy front suspension that used to thud through potholes, he hs written that the car glides over everything now after stabilizer link change.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2015, 20:45   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Good to know that the problem has been solved, it is great on the part of Maruti to offer one of the best warranty coverage that covers even suspension till 60k kms.

Has the ride quality improved after this change? A swift owner on review thread has got the same part changed as he was facing issues with a noisy front suspension that used to thud through potholes, he hs written that the car glides over everything now after stabilizer link change.
Yes, good on MSIL to change that under warranty. I have noted that they are not as fuzzy as VW or Ford even if you do slight modifications. I am running slightly up-sized tyres and there was never a question. Then, most Maruti cars will have aftermarket mods as the spec sold is so lean. So, maybe due to habit.

I never had any trouble with the suspension of the new Swift. Its very compliant over broken roads. The new ball joints have made the front a bit tight, and its a nice feeling over well laid roads.

The car is now at 52,000.
Old 17th February 2015, 08:23   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

After 3 years 2 months and 52,000 KM, Kungipalu got a new home. We got him on Nov 26, 2011 and we parted ways on Jan 26, 2015.

The car was glowing and looking his absolute best on the last day with us. Hope the new owner will take care of the Swift just like the way we did.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20150126_030.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20150126_031.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-wp_20150126_034.jpg

The ownership was stellar and I will go back and buy the Swift again if given the chance. Nothing on the car went wrong and it was bag loads of fun! Our car was a big hit among family and friends. And I am pretty sure a whole lot of people will miss the car and not just me. Will put up a detailed log soon.
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2015, 12:11   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

The gist of it:

So, how was the Swift? What did you like the most?

It was fast, quite fast
Its no secret that MSIL has got the tuning + gearing of the MJD spot on in the Swift. The car is fast both during short sprints or even high speed cruising. The gearbox is sweet and I miss the spring loaded short throw gearshift coupled with the short and soft clutch. Changing gears was fun.

The cabin
The cabin was a very nice place to be in. The all black interiors with nice choice of plastics, fabric and metal made it look fabulous. And in our country, where the sun and prying eyes are in abundance, the all black cabin helps a lot to keep it private. And lets not even start on the ease of maintenance and the sheer elegance of it all. And those body hugging front seats are one of the best from the segment and really suits the car. You will need them in corners.

Our ZDi was from the early days and 'everyone' was impressed by the step up in quality and feel of the interiors. The stock ICE and ACC module makes the console look very attractive. The build quality of some bits fall below the mark, but MSIL did get it right with fit and finish. There were no ill fitting parts at all. And there was absolutely no rattle or squeak from our car till the time it was sold. Maybe we took care of it well, or maybe we got lucky. But I am going to miss that interior.

The steering
One of the best EPS units out there across many segments. The steering is very predictable with good feel, fast, and loads of fun. This is where the Swift completely owns the Polo.

Ride and handling
With the right rubber and the engine warmed up, the car is loads of fun. Both corners and straights. If you're in the mood for it, the Swift will play ball and you'll be grinning like a schoolboy who got to drive his dad's car. And its not at the expense of comfort. This was the area of biggest improvement over the previous generation along with the interiors. The Swift corners relatively flat and the occupants are shielded from broken roads by that very compliant suspension.

The NVH
The Swift lets in a lot of traffic noise, but NVH from the engine was very contained. It was noticeably rough when cold, but once the analog temperature gauge (yeah, its got one and Thank God for that) hits the usual spot of just above the mid level, its a very nice sounding engine for a sporty car. And it is amazing during the first 2000 KMs after an oil change. I never used synthetic and some say that makes the DDiS even smoother.

The styling
The front was smart and rear was a bit weird. But thick rubber on the ZDi + rear wash wipe and debadging helped lift the stance quite a lot at the rear.
The best angle was the side profile. The car looked really great. The asymmetric 15" alloys along with the swept back and narrow cabin on that strong shoulder gave the Swift oodles of character. Besides, the red colour made the car look very good with the transparent headlights and taillights on either end. To put it simple, I always felt good looking back at the car once it was parked.

Reliability and hassle free ownership
Nothing ever failed on the car, except for the fog lights. And we traveled quite a bit in South India and the Swift took us everywhere safe and sound. I replaced the rear shock and the stabilizer ball joint when they started making some light noises over broken roads and MASS replaced them under warranty. No questions were asked. The latter was changed when the car was 3 years old and done about 50K. You got to love the Japanese for this.

What could be better?

The safety
The poor showing of the Indian Swift at the Global NCAP was a shock. BIG shame on you MSIL! The European Swift fared much much better. Shows there is nothing wrong with the design, but the build is at manufacturers mercy in our country. I am sure there will be many examples of this across the board and high time the GOI steps in to corrects this. After all, they collect a lot of taxes and duty when we buy and drive our cars in our country.

The build of outer shell
The sheet metal thickness, especially the five doors leaves a lot to be desired. The Swift won't age well even though the car is bulletproof mechanically. The top portion of both rear doors had some light dings even though they never hit anything. All fenders and bonnet is relatively tougher as they are not flat and the lines and creases give the metal a bit more strength. Also, the paint finish is below average. Even the lightest of brushes will show the primer beneath.

The brakes
The brakes had a very wooden feel and didn't connect with the driver at all. The braking was not weak as our Swift had ABS, EBD and BA, but it was still very average. I never did change the brake pads even once throughout the ownership. The pads didn't wear at all and there wasn't a speck of brake dust on the alloys ever. I used to check them during each service with disbelief. Guess, they were made of concrete. So, a brake upgrade with kit from Brembo etc. is highly recommended.

The ABS was also very laid back. It was very difficult to get them working on tricky surfaces. The car always stopped before ABS kicked into action. Maybe, I didn't try hard enough.

The clutch
The clutch had a bit of vibration around 2K but the engineers from MSIL dismissed it by stating it was normal. So, I left it there.

The boot
It is small, but it was not a big concern for us till my daughter was born. Holidays, airport runs, shifting of homes and Long distance travel needs a bit of planning.

What was okay?

Maintenance cost
All my service bills were within the following range:
1K, 5K, 15K, 25K, 35K, 45K - between 1500 and 1900
10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, 50K - between 5000 and 6000

Its not what you call expensive or cheap. I always used mineral oil which saved a bit of money, but I changed them diligently every 5k. The trick is to use your best judgement and always sticking to what is mentioned in the manual. The parts cost are very reasonable but the labour charge is high.

Being a diesel, the car always returned me a very healthy average. The MID used to hover close to 18 KMPL with the AC always on and the MJD also saw higher RPMs regularly. So, nothing of concern here at all.

So, there you have it! A hassle free, fast, good looking car with oodles of character and loads of fun which is easy on the pocket. No wonder why India loves the Swift.

A few pictures to complete the story.

Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-altakmtahtokumezb7kv6fwmoszavamcu3twfcxkpxh8ega.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040187.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040189.jpg

My most favorite picture of Kungipalu shot near Pala. Nothing brings out the Swift better than yummy roads of Kerala during monsoons.
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040719.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-optimizedp1040306.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040310.jpg
Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52,000 kms of sheer joy!-p1040314.jpg

Thank You buddy!
deetjohn is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 21:21   #118
BHPian

Default Re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

It is endearing to see your companions story being shared from end to end.
I wonder whats next
rajathv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 21:45   #119
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Our Maruti Swift ZDi! Sold after 3 years, 2 months and 52000 kms of sheer joy!

Brilliant write-up to say thank you to your car!

Your observations were spot on,I found myself nodding in agreement to every single point you made. The only time I saw brake dust on the front alloys was after not cleaning the tyres for over 1000 kms,in contrast the VAG cars (Polo & Octavia) would look like the front wheels were partially blackened, if left uncleaned for 1000 kms.

I have to add the overintrusive ECU and slightly short 1st gear to your list,but that would be nit-picking.

I think replacing Swift Zdi with another hatch won't be very easy. On the whole, it ticks more boxes than it misses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I wonder whats next
Its been replaced with a New Fiesta recently.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 01:33   #120
BHPian

Thank you for the brilliant ownership report. May one ask why you decided to sell the Swift as it was in perfect condition?
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote