Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 17th May 2006, 16:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Nobody understands a TATA until u own ONE!!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 16:19   #47
BANNED

If I quote from personal experience, my Indica V2 LSi has NEVER let me down in 37.5 months and nearly 60000 km.

Would I buy a Tata vehicle again? You bet! I think someone mentioned it earlier in this forum - the pros of a Tata easily outweigh the cons.

Last edited by hrag : 17th May 2006 at 16:20.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 12:46   #48
BHPian

Quote:
This is really worrying.

I have just sold off my Indica turbo due to major quality issues and was seriously contemplating a swift- but if these are the kinds of issues with a swift I think I better look elsewhere.

it seems Maruti has really taken the Indian public for granted this time. Pathetic.
you have sold off is it... i feel you should have waited some more time and could have taken a extended bumper to bumper warranty on your indica and could have been better off with it...

if you had read steeroid's thread about his dicor, you could notice that it had many issues initially, but once they were sorted out, it dint re appear and he is happy with his vehicle... guess you should have waited.. any my its my opinion..

anyway, hope you have a good experience with your new car.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 15:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

@tifosi...

Actually, the trouble with the car only precipitated the decision ot sell. I am in the process of shifting out of TVM and was contemplating whether to take the TDi or sell it. Had not made up my mind when this incident occured.

so this just helped me make up my mind.

O.T. trouble is that now I am in a dilemma which car to buy, having read so much negative stuff about swift. Dont wanna spend more than 5 L OTR in BLR.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 15:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Indica is a highly unreliable vehicle after 20K. In 30K i had to change all the tyres becuz of uneven wear and tear. Now my car is 55K done and started giving strange compliants everyday. Last week I was travelling from Kollam to Trissur and after Edapally suddently the vehicle stopped at the middle of the trafic. I crancked the engine but only a small murmur was the reply :(. Finally i had to take help of notorious Rick drivers of cochin to move the "Inida's pride" out of the track. They help me by pushing is and i could manage to start it in second gear. I drove it down to an exide showroom to check the batteries thinking that my battery is down. Surprisingly the exide service person shown me full health 4 cells on the battery and he asked me to change the carbon brush of my self-starter to a copper one. Another incedent, 3 months before my car broke down on Vytilla Jn becuse of gear selecter problem. On the move when I changed the gear found tht the gear liver lost its link to the gear box and moving to any direction i want. I had to wait for 4 hours with my family on road to get a help from TATA mobile workshop to come and repair it. I never had the confidence of overtaking another vehicle with the AC on because it will take a lot of time to gain the speed while AC is on and by the time opposing trafic will mask my path. U never enjoy driving in this vehicle for sure.
Ur problems are understandable. I guess, u should stick with maruti vehicles since they suit u best.

'Tata' and 'reliability' are two extreme words. But, Tata's middle name is 'lower running cost'

And we can never compare 20-25 year old japanese designs to our infant Tata cars.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 23:23   #51
BHPian

Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but I felt I should say something. Let me get this straight. Himanshu rips a new Diesel car (not even done first service) on bad Kerala roads at speeds in excess of 100 kmph, and it's entirely Tata's fault that something went wrong?

I agree that Tata should have better quality control, but himanshu shares some of the blame for ripping a barely run-in car at unsafe speeds, and not even stopping to check out a weird noise from the engine.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 03:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

I'm not so sure. I ripped my new indica TCIC at 130ish speeds on the airport road with my friends ( we were out for a joyride & forgot entirely about the run in period - yes, we were all sober), and my car has been bullet-proof reliable ( costs a bomb to maintain, but thats another story !)
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:13   #53
BHPian

@greenhorn - ahhh..... and we are not being provided with further updates on that "story"
WindRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 16:56   #54
Senior - BHPian

Windride, there is a blow by blow update of that in my ownership thread complete with scanned bills
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 01:26   #55
BHPian

@greenhorn - You do know you were lucky, right? But really, one short ripping @ 130km/h on the nicely maintained airport road doesn't compare to continuous 100 km/h on what I assume is MC Road for hours.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 01:05   #56
BHPian

Default :)

If there are two car manufactures that i like they have to be Maruti and Tata.( Hmm well I love the Ambys and the MMs.. so much I am not even putting them here ! ) I grew up with MMs, Gypsys and a very much loved Amby. Like someone said in a post somewhere. Those days cars were family since it was long term ownership and they were truly loved. The charm about an Amby is that it will always gets you home, you might get stuck up somewhere, in the middle of nowhere and still you will get back home. ( It also has the capability to stall at the least expected, most congested traffic light! )

Our M800 (came to us after a 8 month waiting period after paying 75% of the cost and a lot of pressure) was really sweet to drive. Bought since my dad would have to do the driving and I was going away. With an Amby, you have to start if everyday, check the radiator, check everything lol. The maruti was more like a get in and drive of sort of a car. excellent reliability.

After a few 1000 Kms I started hearing a 'click- click ' sound at cold start. Took it to ABT, asked them to check it out, and some clown out there said nothing is wrong with your car ( the usual stuff, the experts, you would find one of them at every workshop!). Drove to a wedding at kumbakonam from trichy a week later, car stalls between tanjore and trichy on the way back. No where near any in habitation. Indian weddings mean women wear jewels. stranded no where on the highway at night was the worst I have faced in all these years of driving and being driven. Got the car towed, straight to the workshop, the manager took control changed what was wrong and was 'sorry'. Still have that 800.

I have an indicab yes an indicab, I bought it for a taxi operator my parents recommended who was helpful when i was away and he wanted to swindle the very first month. ran it as a cab for a year. retained the car for the driver for a year. Most of the trips were for family and friends. But when it was taking too much of my time and dealing with other operators and the driver was reaching the limits, I let him go and kept the car. changed the papers after a year. It was only after that i started driving the car.

First off we all should learn to have realistic expectations from each and every car. Each and every car has its own values. What you may not find in a Tata car is refinement. It sure is vfm. What i like about the car, is space, comfort, seating position ( Dad loves it), not expensive to run or maintain ( as of now, My exp). It feels like an Amby in more ways than one. makes me feel secure, ( safer than a maruti, or a santro) and makes me get more attached to it more than a maruti or a santro. Odd. Doesn't happen easy after all these years esp for something like a tata indicab. And I have maintained 100 - 110kms for a few hours. Ive done about 13k Kms in 5 months, this year on this car. The Indicab must be the Lowest ranking product in all of tata and I am not complaining about it. I guess It will be around for atleast 4 or 5 years with me.

On a closing note I would like to say what dear Nitrous said, you don't know a tata till you own one.

And all those who crib about Tata cars should buy something else! Its not the product for you!

Last edited by YaeJay : 26th June 2010 at 01:07. Reason: typos!
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote