Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 11th October 2015, 16:50   #256
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi. 40,000 kms & counting

Hello

The Ertiga completed 50,000 kms last weekend and this milestone certainly calls for a good update. I was on a drive to Coimbatore and on my way back the odo passed this lovely milestone. The pictures I took were with the mobile phone camera and ended up be poor quality. I will skip that ritual of posting the image.

I have now owned it for 3 years and 1.5 months. There have been regular daily trips to office, long highway runs to Mumbai/Pune/Chennai/Combatore/Madurai/Coorg/Coonoor/Ooty/Kabini/Bandipore/Goa/Udaipur/Mount Abu/Mahabalipuram/Pondicherry. Basically the following states/Union Territory - Kerala/Karnataka/Tamil Nadu/Goa/Pondicherry/Maharashtra/Gujarat/Rajasthan/Andhra Pradesh.

So, as an owner of 3 plus years and having done 50,000 kms what are my impressions. In one word total value for money.

Driveability -

1. Lovely straight line stability

2. Holds speeds very well. Even at 100kmph press the accelerator and there is a surge. No need to downshift

3. Outside noise is really less. Sound insulation impresses

4. Braking is very good. ABS certainly makes a difference.

Flexibility

1. Seating sleeping options make this a lovely long distance vehicle.

2. You can configure it from 7 seater to 5 seater plus bags or 4 seats plus one sleeping option or simply 2 seats and 3 sleeping options.

3. The rear AC vents plus the charge point (got is later) add to the comfort.

4. I moved the Thule from my previous car onto this and it has been very very useful

Engine, Steering and Gearing

1. I am no enthusiast but I can say the engine does its duty very well and without any fuss. I have taken several steep inclines in the Nilgiris or the Western Ghats in Lonavla. There has never been any issues.

2. The turbo comes in at 1700 or so. I have the RD box which further helps. There is negligible turbo lag at lower speeds.

3. The steering is effortless. Very responsive and just the right balance.

Suspension and Handling

1. At 185 mm of ground clearance there is never a moment when the vehicle has bottomed out. Not far from where I stay there is a huge speed bump. All VW and Hondas take care while going over this. In the Ertiga - no need to think, it simply glides over.

2. With a longer wheelbase the Ertiga certainly holds its drive very well. There is never a requirement to think if the suspension is SUV like or carlike. It is essentially carlike and therefore on the softer side.

3. One cannot drive it like the Duster - going at high speeds over broken roads may damage the suspension - which is not the case with Duster/Scorpio/Storme.

Fuel Efficiency

1. The bottomline question of 'kitna deti hai' - This has been consistent. I have been getting the following figures with 100% AC - within city drives are at an average of 15-16 kmph. I have a 9 km drive to office during which I rarely get to gear 4 or 5. and the highway drives give me the following average depending on the speeds:

20-21 kmpl - 100 KMPH
16.5-17.5 Kmpl - 120 KMPH
19 Kmpl - 100-110 KMPH

2. The fuel tank is listed at 45 in the manual but I have sometimes even taken 47 ltrs - that too at COCO in Koramangla in Bangalore. So there is more than 45 ltr capacity. After the low fuel light comes on I have driven the car 130-140 kms several times.

Any niggles -

1. Once after they had replaced the coolant they perhaps filled more and the extra came out towards the base of the battery.

2. The left side headlamp has gone down 2-3 times.

3. Rattle - just once from the seats and it was fixed.

Overall ownership experience

Simply great. The overall package is wonderful and Maruti Suzuki service support has been wonderful as well. The car has spent only 1 night at the workshop. Otherwise all work has been done in a few hours or certainly within the same day. I have only done regular service every 10,000 kms and followed the manual. It has always taken Castrol Edge, run on Yokohama A drives and almost never crossed 120 kmph.

This car won't let you down, its well built, can take some beating and above all is cheap and easy to run/maintain.

Hope you found this review at 50,000 kms useful.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 11th October 2015 at 16:54. Reason: Spelling
Rajain is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015, 23:51   #257
BHPian

Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Thank you very much for this ownership review. I am in the market for a vehicle and I am strongly considering luv. In fact booked it already. Can you please comment on the build quality? By build quality I refer to how strong the body is and the kind of metal they have used. Also what is the average you spend on maintenance per year?
artrocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2015, 20:05   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by artrocious View Post
Thank you very much for this ownership review. I am in the market for a vehicle and I am strongly considering luv. In fact booked it already. Can you please comment on the build quality? By build quality I refer to how strong the body is and the kind of metal they have used. Also what is the average you spend on maintenance per year?
Hi Atrocious

Anyone who drives a Maruti Suzuki will talk about the famous rattles. Some call it the rattlesnake. Some of it can be attributed to the build quality.

Here has been my experience. I have had al of two rattles. One of the seats and the other was a left front door panel. After I could not fix it myself I took it to the service station and it was sorted out in no time.

That apart, I will say that the sheet used is not as heavy as German cars. A heavy person leaning against the panels can probably bend it.

With that in mind you have to be mindful of driving through thin parking zones or be aware of narrow roads through populated areas. A minor scrap through can result in a scratch.

Now, if one drives it carefully, as one should, I see this vehicle lasting easily over 2,00,000 kms. It is really low maintenance, high mileage and effortless cruising on a highway.

My spend has bee the usual service. My most recent service was the one over last weekend. The 50k service. Oil at 2900, service and labor at 4500 or so. After owning a German car for 14 or so years I bought a Maruti Suzuki mainly due to - ease of ownership, service anywhere, and very cheap to maintain.

So, go ahead, enjoy your drive when you have it. It will not let you down.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2015, 19:33   #259
BHPian

Hi

The 60k has come up. Rather fast.

I went on a long drive - large sections of it solo and within about 5 weeks completed another 10,000 kms.

Here was the route -

Bangalore-Pune-Mumbai-Vadodra-Ahemdabad-Udaipur-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Longewala-Jaisalmer-Jaipur-Ranthambore-Jaipur-Delhi-Jhajjar-Gurgaon-Chandigarh-Gurgaon-Jaipur-Udaipur-Vadodra-Mumbai-Pune-Goa-Mangalore and basecamp Bangalore.

Was on the roads for a month.

Updates and TL to follow.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2016, 12:20   #260
BHPian

Hello

The vehicle is now 62k on the odo.

As mentioned in the post above, I just completed a 9500 kms long journey.

This TL is showing at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rth-india.html (Forts, Palaces, Wildlife and more - 9,500 kms across South, West and North India)

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2016, 11:04   #261

I read your review with a great deal of interest. I just did my maiden road-trip (my definition being a day's drive) of Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai in my T-Jet and I am smitten by your ride and your travelogues. I have been planning my next bunch of trips out of Mumbai on the basis of your monster 9500 km trek.

I wanted to know where you got those lights (lightforce) and what extra fitment was required to put them in place - drilling/clamps. I am considering getting some circular LEDs, which I intend to mount on my car in the same manner that you have fitted your lights. Any response/pictures of the fitment would be useful. Cheers and keep trekking.
VentViper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 10:09   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentViper View Post
I read your review with a great deal of interest. I just did my maiden road-trip (my definition being a day's drive) of Mumbai-Goa-Mumbai in my T-Jet and I am smitten by your ride and your travelogues. I have been planning my next bunch of trips out of Mumbai on the basis of your monster 9500 km trek.
Thank you. I am glad you found it useful. Our country has some wonderful highways now and we always had great forests, mountains, deserts, river basins, coastline, beaches, ghats - the whole lot. Its great to simply get out and drive.

Mumbai is much central and very useful to start any drive from - minus the time spent within the city, otherwise its a 24 driving hours to Delhi or 18-20 to Chennai. The central India forests or the mighty Himalayas are all within a couple of days away. Plus the big advantage is the quality of highways in and out of Mumbai in all directions is very good. So, start exploring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentViper View Post
I wanted to know where you got those lights (lightforce) and what extra fitment was required to put them in place - drilling/clamps. I am considering getting some circular LEDs, which I intend to mount on my car in the same manner that you have fitted your lights. Any response/pictures of the fitment would be useful. Cheers and keep trekking.
Light Force are easily available at a number of shops. I got mine from Car Fancy in Koramangla several years ago. He got them installed - clamps that are designed for this and sturdy (so no vibration). Back when I got them installed I did not take any pictures but it was basically getting the bumper down, designing and installing the clamps, then the wire harness with power from battery plus the switch.

I will PM you the number of the person who installed it.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2016, 15:10   #263
BHPian

Rajain Sir,

Thank you for being a part in me buying my Ertiga ZDi. Your & Parag Sir's thread has been a deciding factor in my buy. I might bother you a bit whenever I am in Bangalore with my LUV to get Engine Sump guard plate fixed. I often drive on two lane roads & sometimes on state highways, where, chances of stones/pebbles getting in contact with sump (with force sufficient to damage) are higher.
Ertigiat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016, 16:37   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Rajain Sir,

Thank you for being a part in me buying my Ertiga ZDi. Your & Parag Sir's thread has been a deciding factor in my buy.
Thank you. I appreciate your feedback. I have great respect for Parag. He truly loves his vehicles and takes good care of them. I am glad the two of us have been helpful in you taking the decision to buy an Ertiga. I can say you will not regret the decision.

Quote:
I might bother you a bit whenever I am in Bangalore with my LUV to get Engine Sump guard plate fixed. I often drive on two lane roads & sometimes on state highways, where, chances of stones/pebbles getting in contact with sump (with force sufficient to damage) are higher.
Yes, by all means. I got mine at Ranjith Motors in Koramangla. It is custom made and therefore you would need to call him and inform him prior. If he does not have the dimensions then PM me and I can coordinate.

Yes the sump guard is a great advantage. I think all cars should have one.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 12:28   #265
BHPian

Rajain Sir, I doubt if any one regrets the decision of buying Ertiga and yes it is munching many miles. Recently I did a small trip of around 500 Kms & utilized last two rows as bed. My son & daughter were fast asleep while I covered the distance.
Regarding sump guard, I do not see visiting Bangalore, at least, for next six months because of work commitments. I shall surely have talk with you before I head to Ranjith Motors.

P.S. - My 'LUV' completed a year this 21st & covered almost 18,000 Kms.
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!-img_20160129_044042.jpg  

Ertigiat is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 09:40   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Recently I did a small trip of around 500 Kms & utilized last two rows as bed. My son & daughter were fast asleep while I covered the distance.
Sir, I would suggest not to travel in this configuration. For safety, especially on highways, all occupants should be properly buckled up in seats. In case of emergency braking or an impact, the occupants on the bed will be thrown around violently.
Wish you many safe miles ahead.
mustang_shelby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 13:10   #267
BHPian

Yes Sir, I totally agree with you on this part. But need of the hour made be choose this option. To mitigate the risk, I started my journey by 5 in the morning & reached destination by 8.30 (Lesser traffic/No two wheelers & Distance was around 200+ Kms one way). Throughout the journey I maintained speed of around 80-85 kmph.
Ertigiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 12:48   #268
BHPian

Been a while since the last update.

The vehicle has been running smoothly and has crossed 64000 kms now.

I am now using two sunshades - one those square ones sold at several red lights and the other which I ordered from e bay which are specific to the size of the window.

I highest temperature I found was 40 deg and the AC was pretty good and effective in such a temperature.

The engine remain competent and effective besides being efficient.

I guess after so many days, a comprehensive interior cleaning is in order.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 7th April 2016, 14:37   #269
BHPian

Hi,

I too am looking to get an ertiga but do not travel like you Sir. I mostly drive in Bangalore City with a 5-6 trips to Goa and Mantralaya per year and back. I was always fond of LUV but my budget was always pushing me back. Considering my kilometers per year (and of course budget) I am planning for VXI Ertiga but any suggestions from your end would help me surely.

Regards,
rajivtelang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2016, 00:30   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Hi,

I too am looking to get an ertiga but do not travel like you Sir. I mostly drive in Bangalore City with a 5-6 trips to Goa and Mantralaya per year and back. I was always fond of LUV but my budget was always pushing me back. Considering my kilometers per year (and of course budget) I am planning for VXI Ertiga but any suggestions from your end would help me surely.

Regards,
Hi

While the trim variations may have changed since the time I bought but VXI also offers a lot. And a couple of items can come from after market also. However, I'd suggest taking a test drive of the SHVS and the AT versions.

The Brezza also makes a compelling case for itself though it is a bit on the higher side on the pricing.

Good luck.

Cheers
Rajain