Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 20:51   #271
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Hello

Been a while since the last update.

The vehicle has now crossed 65000 kms. No rattles, no noise - just plain simple driving day after day.

The highest temperature I saw on the gauge was 43 deg. And the AC has been effective. I have also put two sun blinds - one that small mesh thing which is edge to edge and the second the regular square ones that are available at any crossing. Once the temperature cools down the cabin is really comfortable.

The music system is nice and I enjoy the drive. I was away to Mumbai for a couple of days and parked it at the airport. On my way back from the airport Bangalore city was experiencing a heavy downpour with several subways water logged. I drove through water that was till headlights.

So far so good. The vehicle has been a wonderful vehicle. I absolutely love the flexibility, the engine, the space, the overall footprint, the economy and above all the easy ownership.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2016, 15:21   #272
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 17
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Hi Rajain,

Is your car still running on 205/60 R 15 Yokohama A drives? How are they performing in terms of noise, grip and comfort? Please share some details as I am due for changing my stock Goodyear Duraplus. I personally feel the stock tyres are very noisy and pass on a lot of jerks in the cabin and so, am looking for something less noisy and very comfortable on all kinds of roads with a reasonable life (40k). Not sure if its too much to ask for.
T.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 15:09   #273
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Hi Rajain,

Is your car still running on 205/60 R 15 Yokohama A drives? How are they performing in terms of noise, grip and comfort? Please share some details as I am due for changing my stock Goodyear Duraplus. I personally feel the stock tyres are very noisy and pass on a lot of jerks in the cabin and so, am looking for something less noisy and very comfortable on all kinds of roads with a reasonable life (40k). Not sure if its too much to ask for.
Hi

No I moved to Michellin Primacy LC 195/60 R 15 after about 52k with Yokohama. They still had life of a few thousand kms. But I had a long drive coming up and moved to a new set of tires.

Michellin Primacy has been wonderful tire. very low noise, great grip, very smooth and above all wonderful brake confidence.

Any tire I think gives a life of 55-60k provided wheel balance and alignment have been done on time. In fact they could well do 75k also. Ertiga is a light vehicle too.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 17:12   #274
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Hello

Been a while since my last update. The vehicle is presently at 68,000 kms.

Well. I never (almost never) give the car to anyone for driving or errands. I am more used to the dimensions - the lights in front or the height of the Thule.

About 4.5 years ago when I used to have the Corsa Sail, the first day that my wife who had hired a driver wanted to take the car to her office (the driver driving, of course). As luck would have it, the car rear ended into another car. Thankfully no one was injured and I had to 'settle' the matter on the damages. No a scratch on the Opel but the Swift in which it rear ended at a speed of 18-20 kmph had a broken bumper.

Same story a few years later. My wife decides that her petrol Xcent AT has an expensive running cost so decides that a diesel Ertiga maybe better. Now, her present driver has been with her for 5-6 months. On the first day, he forgets the height and crashes into the basement of my apartment complex. Turns out only 2 routes have a higher ceiling and I bring my car into the basement to my parking. He tries a newer route and the Thule gets a crack. Of course, they are back to the Xcent again.

I did some research and finally take it to Ranjith Auto Care (Koramangla). He is the person I take the care to when something non standard has to be done. The engine protection plate was also prepared by him.

He takes almost a week and gets it done. Voila - reinforced inside, patchwork done, paint outside and it looks good.

While I had take some pictures in the mobile phone but it is not so good. The vehicle back looking good.

Mechanically and electrically, all fine. Its at 68k or so. I have been travelling out of station and not driven much in the last fortnight or so. My mom was in town and we had gone

The front left side headlamp had given up. Replaced.

Otherwise, smooth driving, smooth ride and lots of smiles.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 13:52   #275
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 68,000 km & counting!

Hello

Been a while since the last update. In the meanwhile, some travels.

Over the last few months I have paid some interest to some other launches and read about the 7 seater vehicles.

Being an Ertiga owner, I have some interest in vehicles like Lodgy, Datsun Go+, Mobilo, BRV, Xylo and at a higher end Crysta and XUV. I must say Crysta would take the cake, the cherry on it and all the calorie filled icing. Its a wonderfully put together vehicle - perhaps by a mile. Every inch a wonderful car. It is also priced high - the top end touching 20 L. The XUV 500 W 10 comes close. Ticks all the boxes, particularly the engine, suspension, bells and whistles, just the niggles I keep hearing keep me off it. I have written elsewhere, I was close to issuing a cheque to buy it but did not. Yes I know most (if not all) have been sorted out. The Lodgy also makes a strong case for itself. Space, engine, well settled suspension - the whole lot. However, one does not get to see many on the road. This might also hurt the resale factor. Then come the Mobilo and now the BRV - both nice vehicles - I was totally put off by the interior of Mobilo (so dated) and now the BRV that has such a nice case of itself - but equally strong feeling with regard to similarity with Mobilo is a strong put off. I wish they had designed it better. No wonder, there are hardly any customers for it. I must say, it makes a compelling case for itself - as far as interiors, engine and brand is concerned. However, similarity to Mobilo just takes the whole interest away. Xylo has been around for a long time and a one time favourite of the fleet operators. Its a solid vehicle and can be put to some abuse. However, a dated design and overall appeal to fleet operators does not give it any sophisticated feel. We are now left with Datsun Go+. A good cheap entry level 7 seater. And that is what reduces the market footprint - as it is it comes from Datsun - which is barely in the market and then the 'cheap' tag. We know what a cheap tab does to any brand.

So, I am back to thinking Ertiga makes a strong case. That is not to say that it does all well. There are huge pluses. The highest is the overall ownership cost, fine engine, spacious interiors various useful features. However, it is still a bit utilitarian. No parking camera, no cooled glovebox, no automatic climate control and no present thoughts of giving the 1.6 engine. That said, the overall Maruti experience of owning and running a car, the almost two thousand plus workshops - really gives one the peace of mind that very few brands can give.

So, with the 4th year of ownership of this wonderful vehicle - where does it leave me - in one word - happy. Do I desire more out of it - well yes, wish there were a few more features. However, with all of this, I am one happy customer and wish to continue to own the Ertiga for a few more yeas.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Aditya : 8th November 2016 at 08:04. Reason: Typos
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 11:53   #276
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Margao, Goa
Posts: 41
Thanked: 45 Times
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Hello Rajain Sir,

This is related to up sizing of tires. One of my friend (Owner of Ertiga ZDi) is in process of changing his tires to 205/60/R15. I read you have switched to 195/60/R15. Did you face issues, if any with 205/60/R15? I am asking because I am curious to know reason for changing from 205/60/R15 to 195/60/R15.

Also my friend is worried about fitment of spare Tyre in the allotted space. Did you face any storage issues when you had 205/60/R15 as spare tyre?

Thanks in Advance,
Ertigiat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 10:17   #277
BHPian
 
sam_sant2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 435
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hello

Being an Ertiga owner, I have some interest in vehicles like Lodgy, Datsun Go+, Mobilo, BRV, Xylo and at a higher end Crystha and XUV. I must say Crystha would take the cake, the cherry on it and all the calorie filled icing. Its a wonderfully put together vehicle - perhaps by a mile. Every inch a wonderful car. It is also priced high - the top end touching 20 L.
Slight clarification since I see that you are from Bangalore. Innova Crysta "starts" at 17.5 (Petrol Base) and 'ends' at 26.5 lacs (2.8 Diesel AT). Hence it cannot be compared with Ertiga which ranges from 8 to 11.5 lacs. If you say it stays ahead by a mile in terms of quality, then price also is the same For the price of an Innova now we can get 2-2.5 Ertiga's. That is one of the reasons cab operators are now moving to Ertiga.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Hello Rajain Sir,

This is related to up sizing of tires. One of my friend (Owner of Ertiga ZDi) is in process of changing his tires to 205/60/R15. I read you have switched to 195/60/R15. Did you face issues, if any with 205/60/R15? I am asking because I am curious to know reason for changing from 205/60/R15 to 195/60/R15.

Also my friend is worried about fitment of spare Tyre in the allotted space. Did you face any storage issues when you had 205/60/R15 as spare tyre?

Thanks in Advance,
I upgraded to Michellin Primary 3 ST at 30000kms and now I am at 44k. I feel 195 60 r15 is the perfect upgrade for Ertiga. I never used to drive above 120-130k's prior to tyre change even for short bursts since it was wasnt confidence inspiring. But now the road grip has changed dramatically and my average speed had increased. Overall braking, handling and road grip is much better. But i think that is more to do with Michellin quality+195 size.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 17th September 2016 at 10:23.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 23:00   #278
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertigiat View Post
Hello Rajain Sir,

This is related to up sizing of tires. One of my friend (Owner of Ertiga ZDi) is in process of changing his tires to 205/60/R15. I read you have switched to 195/60/R15. Did you face issues, if any with 205/60/R15? I am asking because I am curious to know reason for changing from 205/60/R15 to 195/60/R15.

Also my friend is worried about fitment of spare Tyre in the allotted space. Did you face any storage issues when you had 205/60/R15 as spare tyre?

Thanks in Advance,
Hello

I also had 205/60 R 15 earlier (Yokohama) they had a fair bit of life in them when I changed since I was going for a cross country drive. I never felt that they were 'overkill' for the fitment. The tires did a great job, lasted well, smooth ride, better grip and stability.

However, having moved to 195/60 R 15 I notice a slightly better handling and get the feeling (now I have no way of quantifying it) but 195/60 R 15 is a better upgrade. Actually some wisdom does say that any upgrade than the OE size should not be done as OE size is best and decided by the engineers at the design stage. However, I feel just a slightly better upgrade should not make such a difference to settings of suspension and the like. So, back on the tire upgrade. I feel 195/60 R 15 is a good upgrade and suits the vehicle well.

No, I did not face any issue with regard to the allotted space for the spare. In fact for something that is in mm it is unlikely to make any difference in the space. It is anyway below the vehicle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Slight clarification since I see that you are from Bangalore. Innova Crysta "starts" at 17.5 (Petrol Base) and 'ends' at 26.5 lacs (2.8 Diesel AT). Hence it cannot be compared with Ertiga which ranges from 8 to 11.5 lacs. If you say it stays ahead by a mile in terms of quality, then price also is the same For the price of an Innova now we can get 2-2.5 Ertiga's. That is one of the reasons cab operators are now moving to Ertiga.
I agree. Actually I did not realise Crysta top end is 26L - Gosh that is a huge price. And yes you are right - one can buy 2 to 2.5 Ertigas in the same price. I have begun to notice in Mumbai far more Ertigas in the cab segment. Earlier Innova was the preferred segment for the higher end fleet operators. With that kind of pricing I think Toyota may have actually wanted the segment not to have fleet operator image. Remember Qualis having that image years ago. Yeah with that kind of price band difference - there is no real comparison. Though I must say back when I was buying the Ertiga, a second hand Innova was on my mind and I had gone to see a few.




Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I upgraded to Michellin Primary 3 ST at 30000kms and now I am at 44k. I feel 195 60 r15 is the perfect upgrade for Ertiga. I never used to drive above 120-130k's prior to tyre change even for short bursts since it was wasnt confidence inspiring. But now the road grip has changed dramatically and my average speed had increased. Overall braking, handling and road grip is much better. But i think that is more to do with Michellin quality+195 size.
I am a happy customer on Michellin. Come to think of it, in a long drive my wife asked the question - did you go for different tires - the car is really smooth. Of course I had. But for her to notice the ride quality difference was quite an observation.

While I almost never go beyond 120 - I have certainly had greater braking confidence and better turning grip now. I have just written that I felt 195 is a better upgrade than 205. I went for Michellin for all 5 tires.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 14:25   #279
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Dear Rajain,

It has been great following your thread on the Ertiga. I own an Ertiga VDI and now I plan for a tyre upgrade after doing about 37k kms on the stock Goodyear tyres. As I can follow from most of the threads, 195/60 R15 seems to be a good upgrade. However, I had some apprehensions on scenarios of full load (i.e 7 passengers or 5 passengers with lots of luggage). Kindly share your experience and also some snaps with the second set of tyres.

Thanks
Regards
rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 23:08   #280
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulb22 View Post
Dear Rajain,

It has been great following your thread on the Ertiga. I own an Ertiga VDI and now I plan for a tyre upgrade after doing about 37k kms on the stock Goodyear tyres. As I can follow from most of the threads, 195/60 R15 seems to be a good upgrade. However, I had some apprehensions on scenarios of full load (i.e 7 passengers or 5 passengers with lots of luggage). Kindly share your experience and also some snaps with the second set of tyres.

Thanks
Regards
rahulb22
Hi Rahulb22

At 37K there would be enough life in the Goodyear Duraplus...however if you would prefer to change go ahead. I found 195/60 R 15 as a good tire to upgrade to.

7 pax or 5 pax with lots of luggage would be a no brainer. Tires are made for all the hard work they need to do.

I did a long drive, a 9500 kms drive after changing the tires. They were wonderful. I was carrying full load - 5 pax and filled to the top luggage. In fact the Thule was also full.

So, don't worry about the luggage - if you feel like changing the tires - go for it and safe drives ahead.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2016, 23:21   #281
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hi Rahulb22

At 37K there would be enough life in the Goodyear Duraplus...however if you would prefer to change go ahead. I found 195/60 R 15 as a good tire to upgrade to.

7 pax or 5 pax with lots of luggage would be a no brainer. Tires are made for all the hard work they need to do.

I did a long drive, a 9500 kms drive after changing the tires. They were wonderful. I was carrying full load - 5 pax and filled to the top luggage. In fact the Thule was also full.

So, don't worry about the luggage - if you feel like changing the tires - go for it and safe drives ahead.

Cheers
Rajain
There is life for about 10k more kilometres but the ride seems to have got quite hard, therefore considering a change. Thanks a lot for the input. Will consider the same and take a decision.

Cheers
Rahulb22
rahulb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 16:51   #282
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Hello

Been a while since an update. More than anything else, an update that became necessary due to a drive and some vehicle issue.

Trip Report - Bangalore- Wayanad - Kannur - Coorg - Bangalore

First, the drive - the plan was to go from Bangalore to Wayand to Kannur and come back via Coorg. The drive - through forest, ghats and eventually a coast would have been a wonderful break. Remember, since last Nov I had not taken a break working hard on something.

The stay at Wayanad was booked at Ela Blooms and at Kannur in Chera Rocks. I had been to Wayanad twice before. The stay back then was at Green Gates and in the second visit at Vythri. I liked Vythri for its location and environment while Green Gates for its easy access. I had particularly loved the stream through Vythri.

I had never been to Kannur before - though I have done Kerala a few times. There are always places in Kerala that one has not done. So, from Wayanad to Kannur, two days there and then back to Bangalore via Coorg.

We eventually could not make it to Wayanad - thanks to the vehicle! However, we made it to Kannur, stayed there fore 2 nights and came back to Bangalore.

Chera Rocks at Kannur is a beautiful location. The rooms at the place are not all that impressive - rather basic but the location and the almost private beach make up for everything. In fact the beach there is so good that one can go almost 75-100 meters in the sea and the water is still waist high with almost no waves! Besides this place - Kannur also has an old fort, a few temples, a couple of museums and some out of the world eating places. The temperature, in spite of November, is absolutely sweltering.

After two days there we returned back to Bangalore via Coorg, Hunsur and Mysore. The roads are absolutely great, the views are wonderful, the stay options - just nice and the drive overall perfect for the break.

Now, lets come to what happened to the vehicle. The vehicle had done 69k and was due for service in another 1000 kms. The drive would have done about 800-900 kms. Mostly I have the car in top condition and we were looking forward to the drive. Just before Mandya I felt there was no clutch! Vehicle breakdown I kept pressing the pedal but the clutch seemed to have gone away - leaving the vehicle engaged in the gear it was. Since I was driving on the highway, I tried to pump up the clutch and some semblance of life came but it gave up totally in some time. I pulled up on the side and the vehicle jerked to a stop.

I called up the Maruti helpline - which quickly took all details and in less than 10 minutes the driver of a Maruti van breakdown assist service was calling me to know where I was. Turns out I had parked the car by the roadside and the MASS was within 3 kms. In the few minutes that I had stopped the car the clutch life came back just a bit and using that and slotting it in 2nd gear with blinkers on I limped the car to Mandya MASS - Mandovi Motors. There they bled the car and after half an hour said it was good to go. We went for a test drive and I found it good. However, they also said there could be some other reason also and in their helping nature offered a driver who was with me till Mysore. Well, guess what, just before Mysore the clutch went flat again. I was to stop at Ranganthitu and could not - or perhaps the clutch went birding leaving me in a lurch! Between Columbia Asia hospital in Mysore till the Mondovi Motors (opposite railway station) I was barely getting any feel - so slotted it in 2nd gear and limped it over to the workshop.

Here I was told it may take 3-4 hours - which basically meant the Wayanad trip was gone and we had to stay back at Mysore. I have always loved Mysore so this was not such a bad choice though I also wanted to see Wayanad again. However, given that the vehicle was a bit unreliable, the repair was necessary and I was left with no choice. Checked into Grand Mercure and waited for the vehicle to get ready. By 8 pm I was called and informed that it was all set. They had replaced the hydraulic cylinder. Well, thanking them I drove the car over and parked at Grand. The next morning was the drive to Kannur (since Wayanad was now out of the picture). After a wonderful breakfast the drive to Kannur started. Soon after entering Nagarhole forest guess what - the clutch went ...well to see some wild animals in a safari - leaving me in a lurch again!! Coming downhill there was no feel and seeing an uphill coming up, I found a place and parked the vehicle. I have always loved forest - so the air could not have been purer.

However, what was missing was signal on the phone and therefore no help. Anyway, by now I had known that allow the engine to cool a bit, pump the clutch in cold and it should get some feel. After 10-15 minutes in that wonderful place I tried this and was able to get the vehicle moving again. After a few kms of 3-4 gear driving I arrived at Gonikuppal and asked if there is a MASS - sure enough there was one in town and I was able to limp the car to their gates after which they had to push it in.

Turned out Mandya, Mysore and Gonipokkal - were all Mondovi Motors and I patched them all together with a degree of displeasure. They were ready to open up everything and soon enough I was informed that this will take another few hours and that I could be on my way or find a place of stay. After some more polite (yes indeed) conversations I was offered a loaner car - which was also Ertiga I was on my way to Kannur while they were treating my car. After 3 hours and almost sunset I drove into Chera Rocks. Over the next two days, Mondovi Motors, all the kings horses and all the kings men were helping get my car ready. Meanwhile, the loaner car was useful in driving around in Kannur. Two days later I came back the same route and arrived in Gonikoppal, spoke to one of the kings men and the car was all ready. I had also asked for the 70k service and a slightly damaged bumper replacement.

So what had gone wrong - well synchronizer ring too had to be replaced in addition to the hydraulic cylinder. I wish they had identified it if not in Mandya certainly in Mysore. Anyway, I think it was meant to be that way.

The overall journey was still good. Maruti service presence is very comforting - to think of it every 50-60 kms there was one. In fact I am glad by Gonikoppal the issue was deep enough to warrant a complete re check because the route after that is all ghat and a vehicle operating at 100% capacity was needed.

All in all, one can have two reactions from this experience - MASS is hopeless, they should have identified the issue much earlier and sorted it out. Further, I understand it is a known issue and therefore all the more reason for Maruti to ensure this is addressed. The other reaction would be of giving high marks to them - they gave me a loaner car, my vehicle was fixed, fully functional, very neatly serviced and good to go in a rather remote area too. Reminded me of the decade and half old Maruti advertisement of a kancha and two travellers in a gypsy in Leh. By no means as remote as Leh but when you are in jungles and ghat - well finding a MASS does give some relief.

They further have called me several times over the last two days to ask if I faced any issue driving back from Gonikoppal to Bangalore and there has not been any issue.

The vehicle is driving well now, the service of 70 k also done (shell helix is the engine oil), the two parts of the clutch replaced, overall minus a few extra hours the rest was still a good experience. So, my first rather long experience with MASS.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 17:58   #283
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 3,442
Thanked: 7,747 Times
Default Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Just before Mandya I felt there was no clutch! Vehicle breakdown I kept pressing the pedal but the clutch seemed to have gone away - leaving the vehicle engaged in the gear it was.
Quote:
I tried to pump up the clutch and some semblance of life came but it gave up totally in some time.
Quote:
In the few minutes that I had stopped the car the clutch life came back just a bit and using that and slotting it in 2nd gear with blinkers on I limped the car to Mandya MASS - Mandovi Motors.
Quote:
There they bled the car and after half an hour said it was good to go. We went for a test drive and I found it good.
Quote:
Well, guess what, just before Mysore the clutch went flat again.
Quote:
I was barely getting any feel - so slotted it in 2nd gear and limped it over to the workshop.
Quote:
They had replaced the hydraulic cylinder.
Quote:
- the clutch went ...well to see some wild animals in a safari - leaving me in a lurch again!! Coming downhill there was no feel and seeing an uphill coming up,
Quote:
pump the clutch in cold and it should get some feel. After 10-15 minutes in that wonderful place I tried this and was able to get the vehicle moving again.
Hi Rajain, from all the instances and the descriptions that you have given, I cannot think of anything but the Clutch Cylinder failure. Under no circumstances, a faulty synchronizer ring has rendered the clutch non-functional.

It is because when the sync rings go wrong, they simply won't allow you to slot into 2nd from 3rd and while this happens, your clutch is 100% functional and you would be able to engage and disengage the clutch normally without facing any of the above symptoms mentioned.


Quote:
Turned out Mandya, Mysore and Gonipokkal - were all Mondovi Motors and I patched them all together with a degree of displeasure. They were ready to open up everything and soon enough I was informed that this will take another few hours and that I could be on my way or find a place of stay. After some more polite (yes indeed) conversations I was offered a loaner car - which was also Ertiga
This is the beauty of it. A not so big town and you still managed to find a reputed ASC and even got a loaner car that also was an Ertiga. Not to forget what they did here - The not so easy job of dismantling the gearbox and installing the new Sync rings. Something that is indeed laborious!!

Quote:
So what had gone wrong - well synchronizer ring too had to be replaced in addition to the hydraulic cylinder. I wish they had identified it if not in Mandya certainly in Mysore. Anyway, I think it was meant to be that way.
I could only find this co-incidental. The Sync rings would have given away sooner or later without you facing the dead clutch issue.

Quote:
MASS is hopeless, they should have identified the issue much earlier and sorted it out.
Again, not an easy one to really reproduce the bad sync rings symptom & behavior. It comes all of a sudden and when you want the ASC to experience the same, it may never happen. The issue with Sync rings and the inability to slot to 2nd from 3rd is inconsistent and infrequent in many cases and will only catch you by surprise and whenever it does, it can be frequent too!!

The ASC had rightly diagnosed the issue with regards to your clutch. They have taken the right steps. Instead of replacing the cylinder itself, they bled the system and this put things back in place and even satisfied them during the test drive. If they wanted, they could have as well replaced the cylinder but then they were still not sure (and may be content) that bleeding has helped resolve the problem and hence a driver sitting next to you till Mysore in case if it happened again.

Quote:
Further, I understand it is a known issue and therefore all the more reason for Maruti to ensure this is addressed.
Like I mentioned earlier, none of the quoted instances from your experiences(Post) hint even me that it was a Syncronizer ring failure.

Quote:
The other reaction would be of giving high marks to them - they gave me a loaner car, my vehicle was fixed, fully functional, very neatly serviced and good to go in a rather remote area too. Reminded me of the decade and half old Maruti advertisement of a kancha and two travellers in a gypsy in Leh. By no means as remote as Leh but when you are in jungles and ghat - well finding a MASS does give some relief.
True that! Although bleeding is a fairly easy task and any ASC would do that, replacing the Sync Rings done right there without any waiting for the part was indeed a savior!

Quote:
The vehicle is driving well now, the service of 70 k also done (shell helix is the engine oil), the two parts of the clutch replaced,
I am now worried - As your clutch is still stock while the rings and even the cylinder are not. This will certainly put you in a fix if the sync ring issue crops up again mainly due to the clutch's current condition (Run 70K).

As a pro-active and preventive measure, Clutch Set needs to be replaced when Sync rings are replaced - I replaced the Sync Rings (Between 1-2 & 2-3), Cylinder, Flywheel and the entire clutch assembly when I faced the issue of being unable to slot into 2nd quite regularly.

I would advise you to replace the clutch soon.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th November 2016 at 18:01.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2016, 20:18   #284
BHPian
 
Rajain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 447
Thanked: 865 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: My 'Luv' - Maruti Ertiga Zdi EDIT: 70,000 km & counting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Hi Rajain, from all the instances and the descriptions that you have given, I cannot think of anything but the Clutch Cylinder failure. Under no circumstances, a faulty synchronizer ring has rendered the clutch non-functional.
Yes they also thought it was a clutch cylinder failure and replaced it in Mysore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is because when the sync rings go wrong, they simply won't allow you to slot into 2nd from 3rd and while this happens, your clutch is 100% functional and you would be able to engage and disengage the clutch normally without facing any of the above symptoms mentioned.
After pumping I was able to slot the clutch. And it was not specifically a 3rd to 2nd issue. After the clutch died, the vehicle would remain engaged in which gear it was being driven. Thankfully from the Nagarhole forest to Gonikoppal I was able to drive the vehicle - sometimes in gear 3 and sometimes in 4. I was just entering the town of Gonikoppal when it started to stutter to a halt again. And thankfully there was another MASS within a couple of kilometers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
This is the beauty of it. A not so big town and you still managed to find a reputed ASC and even got a loaner car that also was an Ertiga. Not to forget what they did here - The not so easy job of dismantling the gearbox and installing the new Sync rings. Something that is indeed laborious!!
Oh yes...in fact I used to drive an Opel Corsa Sail earlier and on a Sunday once just short of Baroda I felt loss of power. I had driven a day prior from Bangalore and had stayed overnight in Mumbai. After knowing the location of the GM ASS in Baroda I drove in and they 'repaired' it but it broke down again after a while. And then the next GM ASS was some distance away. When we reached there - they did not have the specific part.

Yes MASS does have well equipped MASS, their engineers undergo a serious training and the spare parts are available between their several MASS in big cities. I learnt a few things about MASS, their service capacity, their engineers trainings, their supply chain of spare parts and long work hours (several are now 7 AM to 11 PM)

You are spot on Parag. The work was a complex job, they knew what they were doing, their first impression was to get the vehicle going, the next was to replace one part and make it functional and only later they decided to change it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I could only find this co-incidental. The Sync rings would have given away sooner or later without you facing the dead clutch issue.
It is entirely possible. Well I simply see it in this way that the vehicle has been running fine since - and has now done 340 kms since this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Again, not an easy one to really reproduce the bad sync rings symptom & behavior. It comes all of a sudden and when you want the ASC to experience the same, it may never happen. The issue with Sync rings and the inability to slot to 2nd from 3rd is inconsistent and infrequent in many cases and will only catch you by surprise and whenever it does, it can be frequent too!!
Yeah - while I had read about this issue - one does not know how to prepare for it. It is ultimately how and what situation one finds oneself in. Last November, in the Rajasthan/Haryana drive I had read in the booklet the various service centres and I was particularly keen to read what service capacity existed in Jaisalmer. Their booklet mentioned basic repairs. All said and done, any MASS has some infrastructure, some technicians, some network of support, some spare parts and a tow capacity. Its still better than nothing.

You are right. The issue is inconsistent and does not come up when you want it to...thankfully in my case when I drove the car to the gates of the workshop it was with a dead pedal. Five guys had to push the car into the workshop. I only hope this piece is now behind and does not come up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The ASC had rightly diagnosed the issue with regards to your clutch. They have taken the right steps. Instead of replacing the cylinder itself, they bled the system and this put things back in place and even satisfied them during the test drive. If they wanted, they could have as well replaced the cylinder but then they were still not sure (and may be content) that bleeding has helped resolve the problem and hence a driver sitting next to you till Mysore in case if it happened again.
Full marks there - although I did not get the desired outcome (ie the vehicle was still not 100% ready) but they went from one step to another. I also appreciated them for giving a loaner driver in case it stopped. The driver was useful in making calls as I was entering Mysore with a dead pedal again. And yes the bleeding of the system did make the car functional and I did the test drive myself (alongwith their technician). We drove over 10 kms for the test. Additionally in Mysore they gave me a bottle of brake fluid and walked me through the 'bleeding' steps. The engineer had told me that 99% the work was done but there is still a 1% chance of rings being bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, none of the quoted instances from your experiences(Post) hint even me that it was a Syncronizer ring failure.
Well machines are machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
True that! Although bleeding is a fairly easy task and any ASC would do that, replacing the Sync Rings done right there without any waiting for the part was indeed a savior!
Yes full marks here - remote location, not many Ertigas around; though their demo car was Ertiga, their capacity/confidence to undertake a complex task, fix the root cause, have the spare part available and ensure a ride continues was very very good. The works manager even made calls to find out about homestays in case I wanted to stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I am now worried - As your clutch is still stock while the rings and even the cylinder are not. This will certainly put you in a fix if the sync ring issue crops up again mainly due to the clutch's current condition (Run 70K).

As a pro-active and preventive measure, Clutch Set needs to be replaced when Sync rings are replaced - I replaced the Sync Rings (Between 1-2 & 2-3), Cylinder, Flywheel and the entire clutch assembly when I faced the issue of being unable to slot into 2nd quite regularly.

I would advise you to replace the clutch soon.
Ok. One of these days I shall get this done. Most outstation trips are long enough to require a 100% fit and raring vehicle. I have a Mumbai/Baroda trip coming up, then a Chennai/Sri City. In December the family from Haryana is planning to go to Jaisalmer and has been asking I join them there. So, some more driving coming up.

Thanks Parag.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 17:06   #285
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 51 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Hello

Been a while since an update. More than anything else, an update that became necessary due to a drive and some vehicle issue.
...

Now, lets come to what happened to the vehicle. The vehicle had done 69k and was due for service in another 1000 kms. The drive would have done about 800-900 kms. Mostly I have the car in top condition and we were looking forward to the drive. Just before Mandya I felt there was no clutch! Vehicle breakdown I kept pressing the pedal but the clutch seemed
...
Did this happen suddenly? Was there no sign of anything abnormal with the clutch earlier?
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Luv" Story 2012 - My Silky Silver Maruti Ertiga Zdi nurni76 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 101 26th May 2015 18:13
For Taxi: 2012 Chevy Tavera vs Maruti Ertiga vs Chevy Enjoy? EDIT: Bought Ertiga ZDi M35 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 21 9th January 2015 06:48


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks